The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Films

Old 12-29-2012, 03:06 PM   #101
PunisherFC
Side-Kick

Default Re: A Power Rangers Reboot, done seriously.

yeah but it wouldnt be the first time actors, were way off age from one another and played characters of same age or in the ball park. Then again there are certain names i mentioned that would be real great in the roles, and others that could easily be replaced. You could also have the characters all in different grade levels of high school, but I feel the safe bet is to use all un heard of actors/actresses.

PunisherFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:16 PM   #102
TheWiseGuy487
Electrifying!

As for each of the character's individual abilities, I think it would be cool to give each of them other attributes that are not necessarily athletic. That way, each characters weakness would be complimented by another person's strength, and it would give a reason for them to work together face whatever common threat they need to confront.

For example:

Red Ranger: Boxing, excellent gun marksman, natural leader

Black Ranger: MMA, the muscle, great support

Blue Ranger: Genius technician/physicist, excellent tactician

Pink Ranger: Gymnastics, small but quick on her feet, very levelheaded and sometimes the voice of reason

Yellow Ranger: Sword fighting (Kendo, katana), deadly fighter and assassin (maybe from another country like China or Japan who comes in as an exchange student?)

Also, just to mix it up a little bit, why not have at least the leader be someone of adult age (hence, the license to use firearms)? The logistics and consequences of having teenagers fighting under the Red Ranger and serving their own brand of justice as vigilantes could even be explored.

In sequels, other characters (like the Green Ranger) and new weapons could be introduced, and replacement characters could be set up (in case one or more characters get killed off, are past their prime, have families, etc.). The first film could even hint at the possibility of other, more powerful enemies for sequels. The characters could even travel to other places outside of their own city (other countries, and maybe even other planets/universes/dimensions).

The possibilities are pretty much endless.

5-.-2-.-14

TheWiseGuy487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:10 PM   #103
Blackman
C'mon Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunisherFC View Post
yeah but it wouldnt be the first time actors, were way off age from one another and played characters of same age or in the ball park. Then again there are certain names i mentioned that would be real great in the roles, and others that could easily be replaced. You could also have the characters all in different grade levels of high school, but I feel the safe bet is to use all un heard of actors/actresses.
I dont see using un heard of actors/actresses is a "safe bet". If anything that's really risky.
I think they should, and probably will go for, at least people with somewhat of a following whether that be from a TV show or movie.

And while it wont be the first time it's been done, does that mean that they should do it again. Especially considering a lot of the choices can be changed. Especially when there are other options out there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseGuy487 View Post
As for each of the character's individual abilities, I think it would be cool to give each of them other attributes that are not necessarily athletic. That way, each characters weakness would be complimented by another person's strength, and it would give a reason for them to work together face whatever common threat they need to confront.

For example:

Red Ranger: Boxing, excellent gun marksman, natural leader

Black Ranger: MMA, the muscle, great support

Blue Ranger: Genius technician/physicist, excellent tactician

Pink Ranger: Gymnastics, small but quick on her feet, very levelheaded and sometimes the voice of reason

Yellow Ranger: Sword fighting (Kendo, katana), deadly fighter and assassin (maybe from another country like China or Japan who comes in as an exchange student?)

Also, just to mix it up a little bit, why not have at least the leader be someone of adult age (hence, the license to use firearms)? The logistics and consequences of having teenagers fighting under the Red Ranger and serving their own brand of justice as vigilantes could even be explored.

In sequels, other characters (like the Green Ranger) and new weapons could be introduced, and replacement characters could be set up (in case one or more characters get killed off, are past their prime, have families, etc.). The first film could even hint at the possibility of other, more powerful enemies for sequels. The characters could even travel to other places outside of their own city (other countries, and maybe even other planets/universes/dimensions).

The possibilities are pretty much endless.
I disagree with the idea of having a leader being adult age or with the yellow ranger being/using assassin techniques. But I do agree with your idea of the rangers using different styles and bringing different things to the table
-Jason primary using Taekwondo like in the show
-Zack primary using Capoeira or some type of dance fighting referencing his dancing in the show
-Billy primary using Jeet Kun Do that he taught himself from watching bruce Lee movies.
-Kimberly primary using some type of gymnastic based martial art (if there is one)
-Trini primary using...idk something

I dont think that they should be experts on the different styles, except Jason, but the Ranger powers help them while theyre powered up and eventually they all learn to use their martial arts without the suits

Here's another question though: Do you guys think they should bring in Aisha, Rocky, or Adam? I dont think so

Last edited by Blackman; 12-29-2012 at 05:16 PM.
Blackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:26 PM   #104
PunisherFC
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackman View Post
I dont see using un heard of actors/actresses is a "safe bet". If anything that's really risky.
I think they should, and probably will go for, at least people with somewhat of a following whether that be from a TV show or movie.

And while it wont be the first time it's been done, does that mean that they should do it again. Especially considering a lot of the choices can be changed. Especially when there are other options out there?
your right that they (if it ever happens) would use actors with a following from either tv, or films. But it doesnt have to be complete unknowns, just lesser known like some of the choices people have made. which are essentially unknown to a degree, look at chris hemsworth, did star trek as kirks dad then became thor. WHile I agree it can be very risky, IMO hollywood needs to take risks. Because when they don't we get the kinds of films we have been for the last few years, mostly crap and a few hits.
That being said if they do go with relative known actors, with a following they need to be actors with presence. The actors real age is irrelevant, as long s they fit the part.
The actors from the OG MMPR show, were in fact mostly in their 20's when they started the show, i think two were 18 or 19 and like billy and kimberly were 23-25. I could be slightly off, but thats what i recall reading in TV guide in the day.

But in spirit of casting ideas, what would you pick for actors? Im very curious to see what choices youd have in mind. and any story ideas a s well.

Old 12-29-2012, 07:04 PM   #105
Blackman
C'mon Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunisherFC View Post
your right that they (if it ever happens) would use actors with a following from either tv, or films. But it doesnt have to be complete unknowns, just lesser known like some of the choices people have made. which are essentially unknown to a degree, look at chris hemsworth, did star trek as kirks dad then became thor. WHile I agree it can be very risky, IMO hollywood needs to take risks. Because when they don't we get the kinds of films we have been for the last few years, mostly crap and a few hits.
That being said if they do go with relative known actors, with a following they need to be actors with presence. The actors real age is irrelevant, as long s they fit the part.
The actors from the OG MMPR show, were in fact mostly in their 20's when they started the show, i think two were 18 or 19 and like billy and kimberly were 23-25. I could be slightly off, but thats what i recall reading in TV guide in the day.

But in spirit of casting ideas, what would you pick for actors? Im very curious to see what choices youd have in mind. and any story ideas a s well.
It's fine if you use 20 year olds. That's how Hollywood works. But I think they should, and usually try to cast people who look about the same age. Andrew Garfield is 29 but he fits well with 24 year old Stone. But in your cast there's a 28 year old but then there's a 17 year old. I just think that'd look weird.

As for my cast I posted it in the last page
Quote:
Josh Hutcherson. (The Hunger Games & The Kids Are Allright) as Jason

John Boyega. (Attack the Block) as Zack

Emma Roberts. (Scream 4 & It's Kind of a Funny Story) as Kimberly

Dylan O'Brien (Teen Wolf & The First Time) as Billy

Malese Jow (The Social Network & The Vampire Diaries) as Trini
Here are some additions

Jeff Bridges (Iron Man, Big Lebowski) as Zordon

Michelle Yeoh (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon) as Rita

AS far as ideas:
-In terms of tone: the film should be like Avengers, Star Trek, Transformers...basically youre standard summer blockbuster tone
-I would want the fight scenes to play more like, less violent version of, The Raid. I wouldnt put scenes like Tommy jumping and kicking a bad guy hundreds of times while never falling which happened in The Movie
-The suits I think shouldn't look like cloth. I think she should be like how they were in the movie. Metal looking but not as cheap looking as they were in the film.
-I wouldnt have any of them be friends except maybe Trini and Billy. I liked that idea that you had of Billy and Trini being childhood friends
-I would have Zack having somewhat of an antagonistic relationship with Jason, I think I would have Kimberly being popular but she'll be pretty annoying, Trini I have being the "normal one", and Billy being the geek/loser
-Main villain would be Rita, Goldar, Baboo, and Squatt (I'd probably chance the last two names though)
-Zita's main plot is too conquer Earth (like Zedd sent her too) and it would be her setting up a portal to move Earth into the same type of time warp that she sent Zordon in
-Much like The Avengers, the Rangers will start off not really like each other but come back together during the climax and defeat whatever monster Rita comes up with
-I'd do away with a lot of the campy aspects.
-Save Zedd and Tommy for the sequel, but have hints to their existence especially in Zedd's case. I actually can see Zedd having a Thanos like cameo during the credits.
-I can see the Megazord fights playing out similar to how they look like they will in Pacific Rim. More of a heavy feel, rather than the quick paced robots in Transformers

and that's all I have so far.

Last edited by Blackman; 12-29-2012 at 07:10 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:38 PM   #106
Project862006
Banned User

make original tommy as some mentor dude still looks great lol

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:03 PM   #107
PunisherFC
Side-Kick

I LOVE the idea of Michelle yeoh as Rita and jeff bridges as zordon, the only two cast members i can't see is emma roberts (i feel she can't act her way out a plastic bag), and Josh hutcherson ( i just can't see him as jason) however i feel josh could surprise with a great performance. Other actors have done so with other roles, like Heath Ledger as the Joker.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:56 PM   #108
Blackman
C'mon Son

was it ever explained why an ancient force had robotics or why the megazords were the way they were?

Old 12-30-2012, 05:06 PM   #109
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

They were never from Earth, Rita's canister just manged to crash on earth millenia ago. Their technology is light years ahead, we're just light years behind apparently.

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:42 PM   #110
DerSpider-Boy
T.u.f.k.a. Goran

Are there any logical reasons why Hollywood isn't making a new MMPR-movie??

There's all these reboots and remakes going on right now, and I'm wondering why they're still holding back with the Power Rangers?? I mean, there's so much potential for great visuals here. It just makes no sense to wait any longer..

Or is there happening something we don't know about yet!??

Kaya Scodelario for Mary Jane Watson!!
DerSpider-Boy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:39 AM   #111
Primal Slayer
Good ol' Lima Heights

Probably because Saban just got the rights back 2 years ago and with the tv series still going no studio is probably interested in doing a new movie. Espcially when PR isnt as popular as it once was.

Primal Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:06 AM   #112
ShadowBoxer
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
Probably because Saban just got the rights back 2 years ago and with the tv series still going no studio is probably interested in doing a new movie. Espcially when PR isnt as popular as it once was.
Does any remember the the Power Rangers craze? I remember when I was younger (back in the 90's) I went with my mom on a black friday to Toy's R Us to buy the Tommy (The White Power Ranger) talking sword (my B- Day is a few days after Thanksgiving and Black Friday). It was a freaking frenzy in the power rangers toy section people were literally coming to blows over the sword. I wish I still had that thing because I am sure it would be worth something on Ebay nowadays.

ShadowBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:22 AM   #113
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

I've got every Gen-1 action figure imaginable. I stopped buying anything after The Movie, though.

Gianakin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:40 AM   #114
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianakin_ View Post
I've got every Gen-1 action figure imaginable. I stopped buying anything after The Movie, though.
I remember seeing the movie in cinemas. All I remember from that flick is the name Ivan Ooze.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy - Alice 2
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:48 AM   #115
Vapor
Omlette Du Fromage

"Whoo, where's my autograph book? Ha, Power Rangers"

Cat: Betty Rubble? Well, I would go with Betty...but I'd be thinkin' of Wilma.
Lister: This is stupid. Why are we talking about going to bed with Wilma Flintstone?
Cat: You're right. We're nuts. This is an insane conversation.
Lister: She'll never leave Fred and we know it.

~ R.I.P Venom_UK
Vapor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:52 AM   #116
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneFan View Post
I remember seeing the movie in cinemas. All I remember from that flick is the name Ivan Ooze.
Belloq!

Gianakin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:23 PM   #117
Lazarus87

I posted this in a similar thread on this site:

One thing that didn't make sense about the series is if the rangers weekly monster threats came from a SOLE villain, Rita, why didn't Zordon just send them on a mission to locate her base, find her and destroy her.

Also if I were to re-imagine power rangers I think the megazords should be left for a sequel, or if they must be used change the premise to make it that the teenagers morph into megazords. Being that the megazords is their fighting form and only source of power.

Lazarus87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:42 PM   #118
Donnie Darko
Forgotten Pre-New 52 Hero

You can't do a Power Rangers movie without Zords and expect the old fans to really buy into it. Definitely save the Megazord for the climax, but the Zords need to be present. Then, since almost all big blockbuster franchises have post-credits scenes now, you use that to tease the Green Ranger.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:15 PM   #119
Lazarus87

I'd probably make the characters original as opposed to the teens in the show. Or maybe mix things up like having Zack or Billy as the red ranger.

I think that they should replace the colour pink with white. So the colours would be red, blue, black, yellow, white.

Lazarus87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:49 PM   #120
theShape
Creature of Darkness

I honestly prefer Tommy (White Ranger) as the leader, but wouldn't be opposed to the idea of a trilogy.

Film 1 - Origin, Rangers are led by the Red Ranger, Rita as villain possibly working with Zedd as her back which is revealed at the end.
Film 2- Evil Green Ranger introduced, turns good by the end, Rangers fight another antagonist as well.
Film 3 - Green Ranger becomes the White Ranger, takes rightful place as the leader for a final epic battle.

Old 03-09-2013, 01:04 PM   #121
Vaportrail
Oh, shock!

^That's more or less what I've had in mind for a while.

I've been working on my script a bit. I've got the basic ideas down, just need to dig into some writing.
If it goes well, I'm looking to shoot the prologue as a proof-of-concept and maybe get some attention so I can do something larger.

Old 03-09-2013, 01:20 PM   #122
killface
Side-Kick

jeff bridges as zordon? already there on opening day.

killface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:23 PM   #123
-JKR-
Side-Kick

Didn't we already get one? Wasn't it called "The Avengers"?

-JKR- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:26 PM   #124
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

Was that a humor attempt?

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:56 PM   #125
DaRkVeNgeanCe
Godzilla is coming!!!

I recently rewatched the film and boy is it dated, I remember seeing it in the theater as a kid and loving it.

SUMMER MOVIES - Captain America TWS 8/10 I The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5/10 I Godzilla 9/10 I X-Men: DOFP 9.5/10 I Maleficent 4/10 I Edge of Tomorrow 8.5/10 I 22 Jump Street 9/10 I Transformers 4 3/10
DaRkVeNgeanCe is offline   Reply With Quote