The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 11:50 AM   #51
Sith Scotti
Banned User

Default Re: TDKR Oscar Chances?

If Nolan wants an oscar he needs to kill Batman ..... I mean thats the only reason Mel Gibson won for Braveheart....

Old 07-23-2011, 12:15 PM   #52
slimshady247
The Chesapeake Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Scotti View Post
If Nolan wants an oscar he needs to kill Batman ..... I mean thats the only reason Mel Gibson won for Braveheart....
...Or he could just close the book on the trilogy in a compelling way. Nah, let's just kill off the main character because that's clearly the only way to end the series.

Old 07-23-2011, 12:27 PM   #53
Tequilla
Side-Kick

Who cares ? It could win a razzie for all i care...

I just want it to be a great movie.

I'm always baffled why a lousy awards show like the oscars get so much debate.

Old 07-23-2011, 12:28 PM   #54
slimshady247
The Chesapeake Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tequilla View Post
Who cares ? It could win a razzie for all i care...

I just want it to be a great movie.

I'm always baffled why a lousy awards show like the oscars get so much debate.
Same here. This thread probably shouldn't have existed until after July 20th, 2012.

Old 07-23-2011, 05:04 PM   #55
WiseBrook
Side-Kick

Im guessing this wont be nominated no matter how good it is. The only reason TDK was nominated was Ledgers death, which im sure is the only reason he won. That is in no way saying he wasnt the best (supporting) actor that year or that TDK wasnt the best movie. Everyone but the academy knows the academy is FOS, i wouldnt expect TDKR to change anything.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:16 PM   #56
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
Nominations for Cinematography, writing, costume design. No wins. Honestly though, after some of the results of the past 10 years, I really dont' see why anyone puts any weight in these awards anymore.
True. Talent is not what motivates Oscars.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:21 PM   #57
Sith Scotti
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimshady247 View Post
...Or he could just close the book on the trilogy in a compelling way. Nah, let's just kill off the main character because that's clearly the only way to end the series.
I was pointing out that how contrived and ridiculous the oscars are.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:37 PM   #58
TLH
Hypnotized

Quote:
If Batman dies , it becomes the oscar favorite
Or if Batman turns out to be of Jewish decent and there are WWII flashbacks that show his grandparents being oppressed by Nazis.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:40 PM   #59
Sith Scotti
Banned User

Thumbs up Re: TDKR Oscar Chances?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLH View Post
Or if Batman turns out to be of Jewish decent and there are WWII flashbacks that show his grandparents being oppressed by Nazis.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:42 PM   #60
Macphisto
Side-Kick

Or Batman has a speech impediment. Oh, wait...

Old 07-23-2011, 10:57 PM   #61
Frontier
Arkham Asylum Inmate

I see it perhaps as a 3-4 technical category scenario.

Look, if "The Dark Knight" couldn't score more than one significant nomination, and it's considered by almost every poll and group and whatever as "The Godfather, Part II" of super-hero films... then nothing else ever stands a chance.

Hollywood has more or less said with the snubbing TDK received on Best Score, Best Picture, Best Director, Best Screenplay, et cetera, that it'll be another 20-30 years at best before such a film ever really has a shake at such things. And even then, I wouldn't bet on it too much...

The Academy Awards, while a feather in a cap, are a popularity contest. There are only extraordinary circumstances when they actually mean something. When a performance is so good or something, so above and beyond, that they actually are more than a "we like you" and Ledger's was one of those rare few times. It's not likely to come again. Hollywood rewards "art" -- whatever the **** that means -- rarely the true best of anything. The true best wins every few years in one or two categories, that's max.

Old 07-24-2011, 12:20 AM   #62
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macphisto View Post
Or Batman has a speech impediment. Oh, wait...

In Beetlejuice words, you made my millenium.

Old 07-24-2011, 11:11 AM   #63
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!

I could see The Dark Knight Rises scoring some major nominations: maybe even Best Picture and Best Director. But actually winning any of them? Probably unlikely, even if it's deserving...

And check out my new comic, AND THEN EMILY WAS GONE!

And listen to my slick Scottish voice on The Off-Panel Podcast!
Old 07-24-2011, 11:14 AM   #64
Macphisto
Side-Kick

If it's half-decent, it'll get nominated as a nod to the trilogy as a whole.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:43 PM   #65
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User

I don't see how people honestly feel this will be The Dark Knight or even that movie's little brother. Nolan only movie isn't The Dark Knight, he also did a number called Batman Begins which was good, but I'd rank it below every Marvel film and call it a 'better than average' superhero movie. The more than likely scenario is without Ledger's Joker this movie will approach the quality of the first movie, not the second. I think much of The Dark Knight's greatness came directly from Ledger, and while the script was much improved, it was still exposition laden and often belabored it's point. Not as much of a problem though as this was in Batman Begins. For me a very important piece of The Dark Knight's quality is lost, and I don't know that they can bring that back.

Also, don't act like they weren't gonna use Ledger again. Maybe fanboys think that's disproven, but they and the studio knew what they had with Ledger, and that wasn't going anywhere (until his untimely death).

Old 07-26-2011, 12:14 AM   #66
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Madness, I say. Batman Begins is above every Marvel film ever made.

Henry Cavill: The Ultimate Man-Crush
(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
Oldman: "Wow, this is it."

Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ‘Batman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Nolan: "Oh, it's on. Here Emma, hold my vest."
Old 07-26-2011, 12:18 AM   #67
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsdayApex View Post
Madness, I say. Batman Begins is above every Marvel film ever made.
Outside of the well played roles, the story is kind of slow and the climax is really disjointed from the rest of the film (go from mobsters to ninjas and microwave emitters). Then you have Katie Holmes. Iron Man is neck and neck with TDK on rottentomatoes, and I may be partial to The Incredible Hulk but Batman Begins is nothing special. It's about as good as X-Men.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:22 AM   #68
moviedoors
Side-Kick

Nolan's greatness extends beyond Batman. I've been a fan boy since I saw Memento in some little dingy theater in New Orleans in 2001. He's simply a great filmmaker and I consider myself lucky he got to play around with one of my favorite superheroes.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:31 AM   #69
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus_Prime_ View Post
Outside of the well played roles, the story is kind of slow and the climax is really disjointed from the rest of the film (go from mobsters to ninjas and microwave emitters). Then you have Katie Holmes. Iron Man is neck and neck with TDK on rottentomatoes, and I may be partial to The Incredible Hulk but Batman Begins is nothing special. It's about as good as X-Men.

Meh... Katie Holmes wasn't the perfect choice but she still made a decent effort.

I personally think BB is the better origin film compared to Iron Man -- which had alot of problems in regards to plot holes, and lack of a consistent villain.

Henry Cavill: The Ultimate Man-Crush
(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
Oldman: "Wow, this is it."

Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ‘Batman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Nolan: "Oh, it's on. Here Emma, hold my vest."
Old 07-26-2011, 12:33 AM   #70
redfirebird2008
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus_Prime_ View Post
The story is kind of slow...
I loved that aspect of it. I'll take the first 70 minutes of BB over any 70 minute stretch of TDK, B89/BR, IM1, X2, SM2 or any other comic book movie.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:19 AM   #71
scifiwolf
Side-Kick

Look, TDKR's quality alone is only a portion of the equation toward it's chances, both for Best Picture and Best Director (ultimately, those are the two worth discussing). The majority of it's chances will depend on the field of films released next year. I don't know what all's coming out, but they'll affect TDKR.

Politically, I think Nolan's chances should be strong. Unfortunately, I thought the same for Inception and he got the snub. Not only did I think his efforts/success for Inception exceed that of TDK, but I thought they exceeded those of his competitors in 2010 more than in 2008. I don't think a single director put together anything as compelling, or as much of a personal achievement last year as Chris did. The only one to come close in my mind was Darren Aronofsky. Neither one was close to actually winning due to politics.

Bottom line, we can discuss all day long chances, who is due what, and actual merit, but at the end of the day all the intelligent conversation goes out the window at the mercy of the AMPAS voting actors and the darling of the month come February 2013.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:34 AM   #72
Sith Scotti
Banned User

I give it a 22.24% chance of winning Best Picture

Old 07-26-2011, 03:50 PM   #73
GrimmReaper7
Side-Kick

the 2009 academy awards only had like 6 nominees for best picture i think (TDK wasnt one of them) but since then they have increased the nominee list to like 10 so if TDKR is just as good or even better than TDK yeah I could possibly see it getting a best pic nod

Old 07-26-2011, 04:13 PM   #74
RedSkull
Lord of the Movie Masters

Quote:
I hope the smiley face implies you're joking. I don't know why so many fans desperately want to see Batman die just to make the movie edgy and now "oscary worthy." The movies purpose is for 2 things: That we enjoy it (and I think the GA will enjoy it much more if he DOESNT die) and to make tons of money (which it will do). Oscars are irrelevant.

I don't sleep I wait for more movie masters
Old 07-26-2011, 04:27 PM   #75
Sith Scotti
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSkull View Post
I hope the smiley face implies you're joking. I don't know why so many fans desperately want to see Batman die just to make the movie edgy and now "oscary worthy." The movies purpose is for 2 things: That we enjoy it (and I think the GA will enjoy it much more if he DOESNT die) and to make tons of money (which it will do). Oscars are irrelevant.
It was a dig at oscar bait films , I do think its a bit of a pride thing if Batman gets mainstream recognition for us geeks . But yes I shouldn't care . Though I would love to shove it down Marvel fans throats

Closed Thread