The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 04:28 PM   #76
RedSkull
Lord of the Movie Masters

Default Re: TDKR Oscar Chances?

I'm a Marvel fan as well...though I prefer Batman. I'm past trying to hope that comic book movies will get Oscars. I'm pretty sure Heath wouldn't have had he survived (don't jump on me like rabid animals for saying it). Not that I don't think he deserved it cause he was fantastic, the academy just likes to write off comic book stuff as summer blockbuster pulp and give awards to boring crap like Kings Speech

I don't sleep I wait for more movie masters
Old 07-26-2011, 06:16 PM   #77
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Alive or dead Ledger was going to win that award.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:36 PM   #78
lime
Movie critic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
Yeah. Not only he's performance was brilliant, but the competition that year was pretty weak.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:57 PM   #79
redfirebird2008
Side-Kick

Quote:
I disagree. He would have received a token nomination like Depp did for Pirates. In both instances the two of them gave the most memorable performances of 2003 and 2008, but the Academy voters have a pretty narrow-minded view on this kind of thing.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:04 PM   #80
Sith Scotti
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfirebird2008 View Post
I disagree. He would have received a token nomination like Depp did for Pirates. In both instances the two of them gave the most memorable performances of 2003 and 2008, but the Academy voters have a pretty narrow-minded view on this kind of thing.
Who beats him that year ? H e was a lock regardless of his death . Sure his death may have made it a wider landslide but he was winning

Old 07-26-2011, 07:17 PM   #81
lime
Movie critic

Robert Downey had the second best performance that year but it was to weird role and in a comedy, so he wasn't winning. Brolin was great in Milk but had not made mutch of an impact or a memorable role. Hoffman was good, but was far from he's best and Shannon had made a amazing role, but they just don't give Oscars for two scenes.

Ledger performance was the best that year, and dead or alive he was winning it. People must face it. That year the competition was VERY weak. The only thing different if Ledger was alive, was going to be to see him give the speech and take he's Oscar himself.

For those who think if he was alive, he wouldn't win. Who do you think was going to win? Be realistic. No competition.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:39 PM   #82
redfirebird2008
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Scotti View Post
Who beats him that year ? H e was a lock regardless of his death . Sure his death may have made it a wider landslide but he was winning

Frankly, Ledger belonged in the Best Actor category instead of Supporting Actor. It's no different than Hopkins winning Best Actor for a 20 minute performance in Silence of the Lambs. Extremely memorable villain performance with hardly any screentime, but still clearly a leading role.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:01 PM   #83
Sith Scotti
Banned User

Quote:
Frankly, Ledger belonged in the Best Actor category instead of Supporting Actor. It's no different than Hopkins winning Best Actor for a 20 minute performance in Silence of the Lambs. Extremely memorable villain performance with hardly any screentime, but still clearly a leading role.
No it was Supporting role . Bale was the leading role . In Lambs there was no other male actor who could qualify as the lead

Old 07-26-2011, 08:11 PM   #84
redfirebird2008
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Scotti View Post
No it was Supporting role . Bale was the leading role . In Lambs there was no other male actor who could qualify as the lead
You can have multiple leading roles. Ever seen the film Network? Peter Finch and William Holden were both nominated for Best Actor.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:14 PM   #85
Sith Scotti
Banned User

Quote:
You can have multiple leading roles. Ever seen the film Network? Peter Finch and William Holden were both nominated for Best Actor.
And Heath Ledger was a supporting role . It was Bale , Eckhart & Ledger in that pecking order . He was in the right category

Old 07-26-2011, 08:42 PM   #86
Doomed_hero
Side-Kick

I am sorry but if ledger had not died i dont even know if he would have got the nomination and if the movie would have even have earned as much as it did. the were hyping his performance alot after his death and it never stopped. Almost everyone I talked to, everything I read on chat rooms and in news articles had people saying they where going to see it cause cause of his death.

This is not to down play is performance which I thought was really great, but still to this day people are making it the end all be all of a performance and I think alot of it is hype. Plus the academy is not fans of superhero movies and I think he would have been ignored just like dark knight was.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:44 PM   #87
redfirebird2008
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomed_hero View Post
...but still to this day people are making it the end all be all of a performance and I think alot of it is hype.
End all be all? No. But definitely the best performance I've seen in a superhero movie. One of the few times something has actually exceeded the hype in Hollywood. The movie itself was certainly overhyped, but his performance lived up to the hype and then some IMHO. It was very reminiscent of some of the great Cagney performances.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:57 PM   #88
ChrisBaleBatman
Legendary Hero

...It's a little early to talk Oscar chances. Even by Hollywood standards...

We've only seen like 20 seconds of footage from this one. I'll wait till it's released to even think about it.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:12 PM   #89
Brother Jack
Onion Knight

Quote:
I'd like to think that, but the pessimist in me suggests that he wouldn't have won if he was there to accept the award. But he without a doubt deserved it, which matters more.

For you they call, the swaying mass, their eager faces turning.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:15 PM   #90
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:
I think you'll find Depp was a lot closer to winning than you think given he won the Sag award for lead actor. Truth is competition in Ledger's category was weak the year he won, his death may have contributed somewhat but not to the extent that is implied, everyone else was vying for second place one way or another.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:25 PM   #91
NBlackestKnight

I just don't see a comic book film ever winning an Oscar, even though BB and TDK were both BEYOND Oscar worthy, IMO.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:25 PM   #92
RedSkull
Lord of the Movie Masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBaleBatman View Post
...It's a little early to talk Oscar chances. Even by Hollywood standards...

We've only seen like 20 seconds of footage from this one. I'll wait till it's released to even think about it.
but this is superhero hype...you should have come to expect it

I don't sleep I wait for more movie masters
Old 08-01-2011, 03:18 PM   #93
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsdayApex View Post
Meh... Katie Holmes wasn't the perfect choice but she still made a decent effort.

I personally think BB is the better origin film compared to Iron Man -- which had alot of problems in regards to plot holes, and lack of a consistent villain.
You'd be in the minority of this. A lot of critics thought Iron Man was among the best, if not the best superhero movie made even in the wake of The Dark Knight, so all in all Iron Man was far more of a critical success than Batman Begins.

Also, Tom Wilkenson was trash as Falconi, and came off as about as Italian as Chef Boyardee. Katie Holmes' "decent effort" got her a razzie nomination (I think she won too), and the ending is about as hokey as they come (microwave emitters and colorful train operators spouting off exposition). You see glimpses of these issues in The Dark Knight with Maroni and Michael Jai White, but with such a well acted lead villain it doesn't really matter because they're impact on the overall story is minimal.

A lot of The Dark Knight's consistency comes from the Joker, whose performance was stellar, hence the award nomination. Of course there is no telling what Hathaway and or Hardy will do, but I'm a little skeptical of the villains this time around. It's certainly shaping up well cast wise. I'm not sure if Nolan has any stinkers, but a lot of his movies simply aren't anywhere near as good as The Dark Knight. The only other movie of his I found oscar worthy was Memento, and some people find that film a tad gimmicky. Personally I think it is gimmicky, but it's a damn good gimmick IMO. Also, with the success of Captain America, Thor and the upcoming Avengers I think people are kind of past Nolan's ultra-urban "realism" and a little more into the more comic bookish style Superhero movies. Although between Bane, the Lazarus Pit, Josh Pence and Catwoman I wouldn't be surprised if Nolan gets a little more unrealistic in this one. I actually think if anything that is where the quality will come from. Nolan isn't above using magic and psuedo-science in his films, so if TDKR is a little more fantastical I think it will help it be different enough from the first two to make it stand out a little more.

Last edited by Optimus_Prime_; 08-01-2011 at 03:26 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:25 PM   #94
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus_Prime_ View Post
You'd be in the minority of this. A lot of critics thought Iron Man was among the best, if not the best superhero movie made even in the wake of The Dark Knight, so all in all Iron Man was far more of a critical success than Batman Begins.
1st time I've heard of this. Most thought IM was tons of fun and that's it. BB changed the superhero movie game and established the reboot trend in cinema.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:29 PM   #95
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianakin_ View Post
1st time I've heard of this. Most thought IM was tons of fun and that's it. BB changed the superhero movie game and established the reboot trend in cinema.
It's RT score is 93% (I think TDK is the only other 90+ RT score Superhero film at 94%). Critics never just said it was "fun" and that's it. They said that about Captain America and Thor which have much lower RT scores because they were fun, serviceable and very similar to many other films.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:30 PM   #96
redfirebird2008
Side-Kick

Quote:

Also, Tom Wilkenson was trash as Falconi, and came off as about as Italian as Chef Boyardee. Katie Holmes' "decent effort" got her a razzie nomination (I think she won too), and the ending is about as hokey as they come (microwave emitters and colorful train operators spouting off exposition). You see glimpses of these issues in The Dark Knight with Maroni and Michael Jai White, but with such a well acted lead villain it doesn't really matter because they're impact on the overall story is minimal.

Wilkinson was trash? The scene where Bruce confronts him is really well done IMHO. As far as the hokey ending, Iron Man's ending is every bit as bad. So is TDK's. The ferry boat sequence is quite possibly even worse than the microwave emitter.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:30 PM   #97
Blue Sugar
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSkull View Post
I'm a Marvel fan as well...though I prefer Batman. I'm past trying to hope that comic book movies will get Oscars. I'm pretty sure Heath wouldn't have had he survived (don't jump on me like rabid animals for saying it). Not that I don't think he deserved it cause he was fantastic, the academy just likes to write off comic book stuff as summer blockbuster pulp and give awards to boring crap like Kings Speech
Kings Speech, boring crap??????

???

Old 08-01-2011, 03:32 PM   #98
redfirebird2008
Side-Kick

Quote:
It's RT score is 93% (I think TDK is the only other 90+ RT score Superhero film at 94%). Critics never just said it was "fun" and that's it. They said that about Captain America and Thor which have much lower RT scores because they were fun, serviceable and very similar to many other films.
IM1's average rating is a 7.6, while BB's is a 7.7 despite the fact that IM1 has a 10% higher "fresh rating." Good luck explaining that one away.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:32 PM   #99
Blue Sugar
Banned User

Wilkinson as Falcone was great. First confrontation with Bruce is effin' intense!

"LIKE A DOG"

Old 08-01-2011, 03:33 PM   #100
Lord
All Mighty

WHile most don't agree i think Black Swan deserved best picture more than inception

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Closed Thread