The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > Spider-Man 1, 2 & 3

View Poll Results: Do you like or dislike organic webshooters?
Love em 17 39.53%
Hate em 10 23.26%
Like em both 16 37.21%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2011, 07:57 PM   #76
Chris Wallace
LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...
 
Chris Wallace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 35,660
Default Re: Organic Webshooter Tribute Thread.

The spiders in the lab already had it; it was one of the traits grafted into the hybrids.

__________________
Michael Joseph Jackson 1958-2009. Gone Too Soon.
May he finally find the peace that eluded him in life.
There is only ONE Spider-Man. His name is Peter Parker. He's an adult, and he's straight!
Chris Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:41 PM   #77
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey
 
MessiahDecoy123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 14,233
Default Re: Organic Webshooter Tribute Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wallace View Post
Some would argue the same about mechs.
and those people have no argument to back that up.

MessiahDecoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:44 PM   #78
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey
 
MessiahDecoy123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 14,233
Default Re: Organic Webshooter Tribute Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrollySupersj View Post
Pretty much every single person in the Marvel Universe.
well how many can do those things and wallcrawl?

MessiahDecoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:46 PM   #79
MarveliteSpider
"Face it, Tiger"
 
MarveliteSpider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Daily Bugle
Posts: 340
Default Re: Organic Webshooter Tribute Thread.

99% of insects or arachnids can wallcrawl. Only spiders can web.

MarveliteSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:53 PM   #80
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey
 
MessiahDecoy123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 14,233
Default Re: Organic Webshooter Tribute Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarveliteSpider View Post
Even though it's called "spider-sense" it really has nothing to do with spiders. I've never heard of any study that concluded spiders have a highly-developed sixth sense.
Spiders can avoid danger immediately because of sensitive hairs on their body. It develped as a mental power in spider-man but that doesn't make it unrelated to spiders. It's still based on a spider "sense".



Quote:
That's a good argument for mechanical web-shooters. At the same time, there are plenty of opportunities in stories for Peter to display his intelligence.
But Parker developing and altering his webbing formula is a display of intelliegnce that is in tune with the spider theme.

Quote:
Did someone with organic web-shooters kill your parents?

MessiahDecoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:05 PM   #81
MarveliteSpider
"Face it, Tiger"
 
MarveliteSpider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Daily Bugle
Posts: 340
Default Re: Organic Webshooter Tribute Thread.

Quote:
Spiders can avoid danger immediately because of sensitive hairs on their body. It develped as a mental power in spider-man but that doesn't make it unrelated to spiders. It's still based on a spider "sense".
They're also hypersensitive to vibrations in the air. Did you know you can injure a spider by speaking too loudly in proximity to it? Interesting stuff. But when I think sixth sense, spiders are pretty far down on the list of things that come to mind.

MarveliteSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:11 PM   #82
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert
 
SpideyVille's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The little part of the Big Apple
Posts: 20,756
Default Re: Organic Webshooter Tribute Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarveliteSpider View Post
99% of insects or arachnids can wallcrawl. Only spiders can web.
Which is why Stan Lee was original going to call the character "Insect-Man" or "Bug-Man" until he realized it didn't sound sexy enough.

I'm pretty sure the idea to shoot webs was added after he decided on what he would call the character.

__________________
SpideyVille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:14 PM   #83
MarveliteSpider
"Face it, Tiger"
 
MarveliteSpider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Daily Bugle
Posts: 340
Default Re: Organic Webshooter Tribute Thread.

So that's why I start getting hot whenever someone says "Spider-Man".

MarveliteSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:20 PM   #84
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey
 
MessiahDecoy123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 14,233
Default Re: Organic Webshooter Tribute Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarveliteSpider View Post
99% of insects or arachnids can wallcrawl. Only spiders can web.
Webs are a rare trait but Spider-man still invents a web formula and uses synthetic webs, that's enough relevance to spiders for me. I see relevance to the spider bite when Parker crawls on a ceiling or moves like a spider. He doesn't have to get all his abilitites from a spider. That's simply obvious, lazy and redundant.

MessiahDecoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:31 AM   #85
Miss Croft
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Europe
Posts: 58
Default Re: Organic Webshooter Tribute Thread.

I am pro-organic webshooters, as I was younger I couldn't understand why spidey shouldn't have organic webbing, and I still think is a good change from the old mechanic ones. It's the same with the genetically modified spider. In my opinion its much more better than the radiance thing.

I often read, people defending the old webshooters by stating them as a proof Pete's intelligence. But I think in the movies everyone understands Peter as smart nerd . For the fact Spiderman has superhero powers from the first place in the comics, and he could have just named Bug-Man, but named Spiderman, it totally makes sense for me, giving him organic webshooters. The naming makes it logical.
Would he only be a brainy nerd playing insect-hero with selfmade weapons etc. it would be different thing, adding in movies supernatural powers...

Because of that, I am more than absolutely fine with drop organic webbing in the reboot- because than this good idea will always belong to the good (old haha, it's ridiculous making a remake=reboot NOW) Raimi trilogy.

Miss Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:44 PM   #86
Chris Wallace
LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...
 
Chris Wallace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 35,660
Default Re: Organic Webshooter Tribute Thread.

My one real problem with all the anti-orgaincs ranting, making it sound like the worst idea ever, acting like it just destroys the character, is this; if he'd had organic webbing 48 years ago-if he'd been introduced with it, I doubt anyone would be protesting. Nobody would be saying, "Eww-that's gross! Why not just have him invent a gadget that shoots artificial webs?" Truth is, the main reason to protest it is because it's different from what we're used to.

__________________
Michael Joseph Jackson 1958-2009. Gone Too Soon.
May he finally find the peace that eluded him in life.
There is only ONE Spider-Man. His name is Peter Parker. He's an adult, and he's straight!
Chris Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:53 PM   #87
socool
True
 
socool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 7,961
Default Re: Organic Webshooter Tribute Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wallace View Post
My one real problem with all the anti-orgaincs ranting, making it sound like the worst idea ever, acting like it just destroys the character, is this; if he'd had organic webbing 48 years ago-if he'd been introduced with it, I doubt anyone would be protesting. Nobody would be saying, "Eww-that's gross! Why not just have him invent a gadget that shoots artificial webs?" Truth is, the main reason to protest it is because it's different from what we're used to.
But...isn't this the same reason you don't like the way the reboot is going? Because it's different than what we're used to. Or is there another reason...?

__________________
"A Man Remembers His Debts"
socool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:54 PM   #88
Spectacular23
Future New Yorker!!
 
Spectacular23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 1,684
Default Re: Organic Webshooter Tribute Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wallace View Post
My one real problem with all the anti-orgaincs ranting, making it sound like the worst idea ever, acting like it just destroys the character, is this; if he'd had organic webbing 48 years ago-if he'd been introduced with it, I doubt anyone would be protesting. Nobody would be saying, "Eww-that's gross! Why not just have him invent a gadget that shoots artificial webs?" Truth is, the main reason to protest it is because it's different from what we're used to.
Isn't that just how the world works?

Spectacular23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:57 PM   #89
Chris Wallace
LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...
 
Chris Wallace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 35,660
Default Re: Organic Webshooter Tribute Thread.

Pretty much, yes.

__________________
Michael Joseph Jackson 1958-2009. Gone Too Soon.
May he finally find the peace that eluded him in life.
There is only ONE Spider-Man. His name is Peter Parker. He's an adult, and he's straight!
Chris Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:59 PM   #90
socool
True
 
socool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 7,961
Default Re: Organic Webshooter Tribute Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wallace View Post
Pretty much, yes.
(Assuming this was directed at me)

Oh, OK. Just making sure you weren't complaining about something that you were doing and didn't know you were doing. Ignorant people annoy me.

__________________
"A Man Remembers His Debts"
socool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:02 PM   #91
Chris Wallace
LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...
 
Chris Wallace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 35,660
Default Re: Organic Webshooter Tribute Thread.

I was actually responding to Spectacular23. However, my problem with the reboot isn't just that it's different. It's different and I take issue with the PARTICULAR changes that they're making. It seems an unnecessary leap backwards.

__________________
Michael Joseph Jackson 1958-2009. Gone Too Soon.
May he finally find the peace that eluded him in life.
There is only ONE Spider-Man. His name is Peter Parker. He's an adult, and he's straight!
Chris Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:11 PM   #92
Chris Wallace
LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...
 
Chris Wallace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 35,660
Default Re: Organic Webshooter Tribute Thread.

I'll tell you something else; when Raimi's Spider-Man is in the costume, you can't see that the webs are even organic! It's not like we see a big, pulsating vein every time he taps his palm. So I fail to see how it's that big a deal, really. This
looks exactly like this.
It shoots the same, sticks the same, swings the same. Isn't that what we want?

__________________
Michael Joseph Jackson 1958-2009. Gone Too Soon.
May he finally find the peace that eluded him in life.
There is only ONE Spider-Man. His name is Peter Parker. He's an adult, and he's straight!
Chris Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:40 PM   #93
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert
 
SpideyVille's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The little part of the Big Apple
Posts: 20,756
Default Re: Organic Webshooter Tribute Thread.

Did Raimi ever give a reason for why they initially had designs and an actual webshooter for the first film, but decided to go organic instead?

__________________
SpideyVille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:50 PM   #94
MarveliteSpider
"Face it, Tiger"
 
MarveliteSpider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Daily Bugle
Posts: 340
Default Re: Organic Webshooter Tribute Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyVille View Post
Did Raimi ever give a reason for why they initially had designs and an actual webshooter for the first film, but decided to go organic instead?
Yes. Basically they reasoned that if Peter could construct web-shooter mechanisms, that he wouldn't be going to high school, but instead be making millions as an inventor elsewhere.

MarveliteSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:59 PM   #95
Chris Wallace
LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...
 
Chris Wallace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 35,660
Default Re: Organic Webshooter Tribute Thread.

Even the webshooter was supposed to project organic webs. Look at it; there's no cartridge there. They were supposed to be web regulators.

__________________
Michael Joseph Jackson 1958-2009. Gone Too Soon.
May he finally find the peace that eluded him in life.
There is only ONE Spider-Man. His name is Peter Parker. He's an adult, and he's straight!
Chris Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:10 PM   #96
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey
 
MessiahDecoy123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 14,233
Default Re: Organic Webshooter Tribute Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wallace View Post
My one real problem with all the anti-orgaincs ranting, making it sound like the worst idea ever, acting like it just destroys the character, is this; if he'd had organic webbing 48 years ago-if he'd been introduced with it, I doubt anyone would be protesting. Nobody would be saying, "Eww-that's gross! Why not just have him invent a gadget that shoots artificial webs?" Truth is, the main reason to protest it is because it's different from what we're used to.
It's like saying people wouldn't suggest adamantium if Wolverine had bone claws for his entire history. Of course no one wouldn't suggest adamantium. They would have no idea how much adamantium would possibly add to the character without reading stories where Wolverine had adamantium.

Same goes for mechanical webshooters. You don't know what your missing until it is introduced then taken away.

MessiahDecoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:14 PM   #97
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey
 
MessiahDecoy123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 14,233
Default Re: Organic Webshooter Tribute Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wallace View Post
I was actually responding to Spectacular23. However, my problem with the reboot isn't just that it's different. It's different and I take issue with the PARTICULAR changes that they're making. It seems an unnecessary leap backwards.
It is a very necessary to start from the beginning. Otherwise people will be confused why the movies have grounded elements and tone when it's just a continuation of Raimi's universe.


Last edited by MessiahDecoy123; 08-03-2011 at 12:25 AM.
MessiahDecoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:18 AM   #98
Chris Wallace
LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...
 
Chris Wallace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 35,660
Default Re: Organic Webshooter Tribute Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
It is a very necessary to start from the beginning. Otherwise people will be confused why the movies have a grounded elements and tone when it's just a continuation of Raimi's universe.
I disagree. But from a Raimi supporter to a Raimi detractor, we're always going to see things differently.

__________________
Michael Joseph Jackson 1958-2009. Gone Too Soon.
May he finally find the peace that eluded him in life.
There is only ONE Spider-Man. His name is Peter Parker. He's an adult, and he's straight!
Chris Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:49 AM   #99
Troy_Parker
Banned User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: YooKay
Posts: 11,242
Default Re: Organic Webshooter Tribute Thread.

Mechs also add an extra element of drama. Peter's swinging, he runs out of web mid-swing... comes crashing down. Peter's battling a supervillain, his webshooters are destroyed, so now he's gotta hold his own with one webshooter/no webshooters.

Doing those things every two minutes would be crap, but placed carefully... it'd be cool to see on screen.

Troy_Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:52 AM   #100
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert
 
SpideyVille's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The little part of the Big Apple
Posts: 20,756
Default Re: Organic Webshooter Tribute Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy_Parker View Post
Mechs also add an extra element of drama. Peter's swinging, he runs out of web mid-swing... comes crashing down. Peter's battling a supervillain, his webshooters are destroyed, so now he's gotta hold his own with one webshooter/no webshooters.

Doing those things every two minutes would be crap, but placed carefully... it'd be cool to see on screen.
I remember in the second one when that started happening during the fight in the bank with Ock, for some reason I thought they were going to introduce webshooters since it seemed like he couldn't control his webbing anymore.

__________________
SpideyVille is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:44 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.