The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The First Avenger

Old 07-23-2011, 03:16 PM   #1
Rock Sexton
Go get me a Juicebox!

Default Would it have been better if .......

They took the sequence with Rogers awakening and had it play out in the beginning of the film, after the ship is excavated? I could see that working, where after he says "I had a date" then start the 1940's sequence from there. The film could then end with the little kids paying homage to Cap with their garbage can lid shields.

My Official "X-Men: DOFP" Review - http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=909

Last edited by Rock Sexton; 07-23-2011 at 03:21 PM.
Rock Sexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 03:19 PM   #2
DoubleM
Side-Kick

Default Re: Would it have been better if .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
They took the sequence with Rogers awakening and had it play out in the beginning of the film, after the ship is excavated? I could see that working, where after he says "I had a date" then start the 1940's sequence from there and leave the film at the end with the little kids paying homage to Cap with their garbage can lid shields.
Yeah it could have worked that way to.

DoubleM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 03:22 PM   #3
Verbal21
Side-Kick

It would've worked for all of us who know the story, but I still think it could be seen as a "twist" to little kids and new people who know nothing about Cap so I actually don't mind it

Verbal21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:17 PM   #4
SuperSoldier985
That's Funny

That would've really screwed up a lot of the narrative in the movie.

It was fine where it was..

SuperSoldier985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:21 PM   #5
Rock Sexton
Go get me a Juicebox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoldier985 View Post
That would've really screwed up a lot of the narrative in the movie.

It was fine where it was..
How do you figure?

My Official "X-Men: DOFP" Review - http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=909
Old 07-23-2011, 08:55 PM   #6
bullets
bang bang

I liked it being placed at the end because at that point your wrapped up with character and there's more of an impact to seeing him wake up present day.

bullets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:12 PM   #7
piccolo
Doom is watching you

I was a little confused at first, but afterward when I realized exactly what was going on (that he woke up in modern day), I thought it was a good move. Cap's last line "I had a date", was a GREAT ending line to the film and really hit you (at least me).

Plus, this way they don't have to deal with him getting revived and everything in the Avengers, and they can just go straight into the film.

I think if they put that scene with the "i had a date" line at the beginning, it kind of spoils some of the film for everyone. Thought it had more impact after he went down and Peggy got his file.

piccolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:52 PM   #8
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

It would have been cool in a different way, but I'm not sure it would have been better.

DrCosmic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:55 PM   #9
S.A.A.D.
Banned User

I really don't think that it would have been better or worse. It would have been a matter of "It's just there", imo.

S.A.A.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:55 PM   #10
weezerspider
Side-Kick

No....Just No.... The "I had a date" is the best ending for a Marvel film.

Old 07-24-2011, 01:02 PM   #11
WildcatNC
I'm on a BOAT ***** !

I see what your saying and I think it could have worked that way too.

I just think the "awakening" scene should have been the after credit scene.

They should have had the Avengers teaser after that but separate from the scene itself.

Old 07-24-2011, 01:40 PM   #12
chaseter
Bland User

Quote:
They took the sequence with Rogers awakening and had it play out in the beginning of the film, after the ship is excavated? I could see that working, where after he says "I had a date" then start the 1940's sequence from there. The film could then end with the little kids paying homage to Cap with their garbage can lid shields.
This is probably the best idea I have heard on here. That would have been fantastic!

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:14 PM   #13
Marvin
Side-Kick

That's interesting, would kinda ruin the emotion of the scene in question but it would be a cool angle.

Old 07-24-2011, 02:26 PM   #14
Dr. Sid Jawtug
Banned User

The movie was a half hour longer and allowed time to show Cap leading the Commandos into battle. Maybe a deep convo between Steve and Bucky, leading to the train mission. Which may have added some depth to the "death" of Bucky. Other than that it was an amazing origin movie. I would have also had the plane crash into the ocean to better explain why Howard couldn't find Steve.

Dr. Sid Jawtug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:02 PM   #15
ciscostudent561
Side-Kick

Quote:
Thought the same exact thing

I felt as a whole this movie could be soo much better of they did that

ciscostudent561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:03 PM   #16
RedSkull
Lord of the Movie Masters

works better as it is now.

I don't sleep I wait for more movie masters
RedSkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:34 PM   #17
roach
I am the night

would have liked to have seen a training sequence or at least a scene where the government figures out Rogers capabilities

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
roach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:41 PM   #18
Hurm...
GreenGoblin1964(2006)

Some of the GA did not expect Cap to wake up at the end of the film (At least the people who I went to the theater with), and the scene wouldn't have as much power behind it if it was at the beginning of the film. The ending was a surprise for some, and I think it worked.

Structurally, your idea is more interesting than what they went with.

But, from a suspense and character point of view, there is much more impact with what they went with.

BRRRRRRMMMMMMM

Last edited by Hurm...; 07-26-2011 at 10:48 PM.
Hurm... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:49 PM   #19
Rock Sexton
Go get me a Juicebox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurm... View Post
Some of the GA did not expect Cap to wake up at the end of the film (At least the people who I went to the theater with), and the scene wouldn't have as much power behind it if it was at the beginning of the film. The ending was a surprise for some, and I think it worked.
Obviously it would not have the emotional weight as when it's presented in the end ..... yet I've seen complaints about the arrangement of a Joss Whedon filmed scene coming right on the heels of what was supposed to be the ending that JJ filmed.

Instead it would be more foreshadowing and then the audience gets to see what he was referring to in the beginning.

Old 07-28-2011, 04:57 AM   #20
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

It would have been better if he showed more heart and emotion and not just "I had a date".

"Don't ever do that again" - X3
"They'll find us they'll always do" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:55 AM   #21
jab1118
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
It would have been better if he showed more heart and emotion and not just "I had a date".
I think it was better as is. I thhink that final scene doesnt work as well for us and people very familiar with Cap cause we expected it to end that way and knew he had to come to modern day. I was thinking the other day that if i diddnt know ge was waking up the preseny while watching him bust out of the fake apartment that would have been some freaky twilight zone ****

jab1118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:59 AM   #22
weezerspider
Side-Kick

Quote:
He's in schock. In shock you can't think straight. Simply stating the first thing that comes to his mind, which would probably be his love Peggy, is the most realistic thing they could have done. It works perfectly.

Old 07-31-2011, 06:00 AM   #23
RetrogradeOrbit
My own Dark Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerspider View Post
He's in schock. In shock you can't think straight. Simply stating the first thing that comes to his mind, which would probably be his love Peggy, is the most realistic thing they could have done. It works perfectly.
Agree with this 100%
Couldn't have said it better myself.

I'd very much like to see Steve's struggle with loss and feeling of isolation, covered in Avengers and/or the next Captain America film. I feel it would be a major disservice to the character if they do not.

I got thrown out of a window! What's the f***ing charge for getting pushed out of a moving car, huh? Jaywalking?

My father gave me one piece of advice. He said "Always. .." No, he said "Never..." well actually he gave me two pieces of advice, I've forgotten the other one. But the important one is, "Never chase a man over a cliff".
RetrogradeOrbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 02:12 PM   #24
TomPiltoff
you are all diseased

Quote:
Sure.

'You've been asleep for nearly 70 years, Cap.'

'NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO'

TomPiltoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 02:13 PM   #25
Rock Sexton
Go get me a Juicebox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPiltoff View Post
Sure.

'You've been asleep for nearly 70 years, Cap.'

'NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO'
The problem I found is that they left dialogue from that scene on the cutting room floor.