The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The First Avenger

Old 07-26-2011, 08:28 AM   #76
blah
Side-Kick

Default Re: The ending, did you go WTF? *spoilers of course*

I think they'll pull the sequels out in a similar way that Brubaker did in the comics; how something he deals with in the present day triggers a memory of his time in the war and eventually he finds closure with what happened in the past, more or less.

All will be well.
blah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:50 AM   #77
DIRECTOR
Side-Kick

i was like WTF as well. Cap should have gone to Peggy's grave (if there is one) and made a very patriotic speech to her while the Alan Silvestri's score blasts away, and than cut to black.

DIRECTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:58 AM   #78
Rogers America

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaijunexus View Post
I loved the last line, but it really needed more time to breath. Or, at the very least, we needed some far less triumphant music to play right after it.

Strange choices were made transitioning into those credits...
I've just got back from seeing the film again, and I stick to what I said, the ending worked perfectly and the lead in to Silvestri's memorable rousing march theme for Cap's directly from his bittersweet "I had a date" line was a very good decision. Nothing strange about that choice at all. Kudos to Joe Johnston for choosing to end the film with Cap's theme. It may have been a sad moment, but he is still a guy that represents herism at the end of the day.

Last edited by Rogers America; 07-26-2011 at 09:22 AM.
Rogers America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:10 AM   #79
gridlockd
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRECTOR View Post
i was like WTF as well. Cap should have gone to Peggy's grave (if there is one) and made a very patriotic speech to her while the Alan Silvestri's score blasts away, and than cut to black.

But I'm sure they wanna save all that fun fish out of water stuff for the Avengers. If he tracks down where she's buried, that would require a lot of adjusting to the new world he's in. They don't want to get into that just yet. Finding her grave would probably require finding her family, and that's a whole 'nother movie.

gridlockd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:46 AM   #80
RockSP
MYTH SMITH ∞!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Anyone else get the feeling that the film was originally meant to close off at the scene where we see the kids running around the streets in the 40's with trash can lids painted as CA's Shield?

Since the scene in Modern Day New York was NOT filmed by Joe but instead by Whedon, I'm thinking that originally, the post credit scene was meant to be Steve waking up, but somewhere along the middle, they decided to have the post credit scene be a Avengers Teaser instead.
The Whedon scenes should have been the "after the credits" scene, IMO. I think the scene at the very beginning with them finding Cap they shouldn't have shown the audience exactly what was discovered. Then at the end of the movie they could have flashed back to modern day and shown that they had discovered him.

Whedon's scene didn't make a good ending, IMO. But I still liked the movie over all.

http://myth-smith.com/
RockSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:53 AM   #81
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

The ending SUCKED!

seriously "I had a date"?!

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:06 AM   #82
captainrogers
Diluted SuperSoldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
The ending SUCKED!

The line actually worked on multiple levels. Great delivery by Evans.
I understand you didn't like the movie as much tho.
(judging by your posts)

-Hercules, Captain America #444
captainrogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:13 AM   #83
marcvader
Lurker #1

Yeah, this dude has made sure to get his insightful views on almost every Cap related thread.

__________________#1 CBM of 2014____________________
Twitter- @mrpink13
HAIL HYDRA!
marcvader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:04 AM   #84
Shadowlord X
Side-Kick

The ending is very abrupt.

I myself was quite stunned by it and at first I was really unsure about it, but it has grown on me.

Some points of note:
- It is brilliant from one point of view. It is controversial and will have people talking about it which is what you want.
- The triumphant music is very appropriate because CAPTAIN AMERICA IS ALIVE!!!
- They obviously want to deal with the CAP out of time and sense of loss issues in THE AVENGERS and maybe the sequel, so they left it for there.

Shadowlord X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:33 AM   #85
Kryptonian Warrior
In Snyder I Trust

Didn't they film the ending like, literally, a few months ago? I remember seeing the pictures of Steve Rogers and Nick Fury standing on the streets of modern NY.

Kryptonian Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:50 PM   #86
Steyin
Project Designer, LEED AP

The ending was perfect; just like IM ended with a complete "shock" type moment that leaves you craving more, wanting to know what happens as a result right after, this had the same effect in a way. Here we are left with essentially a scrawny little nothing turned "superhero" waking up in a completely different era of time only to find out he has lost or missed out on the one thing he wanted most/cared about. The subtle delivery of the line shows how sincere a character Cap is.

If you tell me that seeing someone who has just been crushed in understanding the gravity of his situation doesn't strike a nerve/chord/emotion of some kind from you, then I'd call you crazy or heartless. I'd dare say this was the best ending of all the Marvel films to date.

My LEGO Gallery
Steyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 02:04 PM   #87
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
The ending SUCKED!

I don't think saying what happened is a very in-depth explanation of why you didn't like it.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:20 PM   #88
Rogers America

Thumbs up Re: The ending, did you go WTF? *spoilers of course*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowlord X View Post
The ending is very abrupt.

I myself was quite stunned by it and at first I was really unsure about it, but it has grown on me.

Some points of note:
- It is brilliant from one point of view. It is controversial and will have people talking about it which is what you want.
- The triumphant music is very appropriate because CAPTAIN AMERICA IS ALIVE!!!

- They obviously want to deal with the CAP out of time and sense of loss issues in THE AVENGERS and maybe the sequel, so they left it for there.
I completely agree!!

Rogers America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:11 PM   #89
Wolfwood
Shasta McNasty

So what's up with them putting the ending out online? That's a little...strange.

Henchman for Shadaloo
Wolfwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:27 PM   #90
Kryptonian Warrior
In Snyder I Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfwood View Post
So what's up with them putting the ending out online? That's a little...strange.
Well it's not the entire ending though. So they really didn't give anything away.

Kryptonian Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:18 PM   #91
RaZaTrOn
Side-Kick

I think the last line works really well into letting the audience understand how Steve feels.

After his conversations about 'This is my choice' etc... he realises that he has let Peggy down. Which leads nicely into the frustration demonstrated in the after credits scene.

RaZaTrOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 03:53 AM   #92
RetrogradeOrbit
My own Dark Passenger

I saw this last night and felt it was one of the best SH films I have seen, ever. I loved the way that his original uniform was used.
However we are talking about the end scene. Yes, I was a bit dumbfounded at how he just said "I had a date."
But if you think about it, the guy has just been told he has skipped 70 years which means that everybody he knows and cares about is almost certainly dead. That is something which is going to put just about anyone into instant shock. To my mind Evan's delivery of that line is probably one of the most realistic portrayals of someone going into shock I have seen on film in a long time.
In the sequel I would like to see scenes showing Cap adjusting to his new time, this should by definition, include him visiting Peggy's grave.

I got thrown out of a window! What's the f***ing charge for getting pushed out of a moving car, huh? Jaywalking?

My father gave me one piece of advice. He said "Always. .." No, he said "Never..." well actually he gave me two pieces of advice, I've forgotten the other one. But the important one is, "Never chase a man over a cliff".
RetrogradeOrbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 05:16 AM   #93
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainrogers View Post
The line actually worked on multiple levels. Great delivery by Evans.
I understand you didn't like the movie as much tho.
(judging by your posts)
Because I was disappointed.

And the ending really sucked, if it didn't really suck this thread wouldn't be made.

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:39 AM   #94
captainrogers
Diluted SuperSoldier

Quote:
Because I was disappointed.

And the ending really sucked, if it didn't really suck this thread wouldn't be made.
No, it didn't REALLY suck. It's not FACT. The thread was made, because, in the OPINION of the threads creator, it seemed abrupt. To You, yes the ending sucked. Maybe even the characters, plot, acting, or the movie as a whole sucked, but that's your opinion. You seem to be posting as if it's bible law.
I could open up a thread entitled, " Gee, the ending TOTALLY ROCKED and WORKED on multiple LEVELS", and going by your logic, it would be true.
Not so, it's simply an opinion.
You didnt like it.
Roger.

-Hercules, Captain America #444
captainrogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:05 PM   #95
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

I thought the ending was great. I could tell when he was talking to Fury that it was going to end there, but I hoped that it wouldn't be too abrupt and ruin a great movie. When I heard the line "I had a date" I thought then that was a great place to cut and it did work for the movie.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
The Infernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:22 PM   #96
TomPiltoff
you are all diseased

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRECTOR View Post
That's a joke, right?

Quote:
The ending SUCKED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainrogers View Post
The line actually worked on multiple levels.
Level 1: I had a date with Peggy.

Level 2: ?

TomPiltoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:00 PM   #97
gmanca
Side-Kick

There's some thought that the ending was actually meant for a post-credits scene, which makes a lot of sense in how that last line was delivered and would have worked much better.

As it is, I don't think it's the best way to end the movie.

gmanca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:03 PM   #98
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPiltoff View Post
Level 1: I had a date with Peggy.

Level 2: ?
Level 2: Everyone and everything I knew and loved is gone.

That realization hit Steve when Fury told him that 70 years had passed since he was frozen in the Arctic. The fact that he had completely lost the world he knew came into sharp focus in the last moments of the movie. It was that, as well as the fact that he would never see Peggy again, that made the ending poignant for me upon repeat viewings.

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:18 PM   #99
TomPiltoff
you are all diseased

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
That realization hit Steve when Fury told him that 70 years had passed since he was frozen in the Arctic. The fact that he had completely lost the world he knew came into sharp focus in the last moments of the movie. It was that, as well as the fact that he would never see Peggy again, that made the ending poignant for me upon repeat viewings.
Yeah I don't disagree that the ending was poignant. I still don't see how 'I had a date' works on multiple levels. it doesn't. Doesn't have to, mind you, because it's good as it is.

TomPiltoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:33 AM   #100
Shazam
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider_rob View Post
Did any of you feel that the ending was abrupt? "I had a date" and then cut to black. I think it shocked the audience I watched with, and left them kind of confused. I think that's a big reason there was no applause at the end, because they didn't know how to respond. Me and my GF discussed if it would have been better if it had him visiting Peggy's grave, or visiting her children or something. Instead it just seemed like the film makers were expecting the audience to just roll with it until Avengers comes out.

Man...you hit it on the head!!

I did not like the ending....I was thinking about a memory of her final kiss with him....SOMETHING! I was hoping for a lot more sadness on his face.....maybe even a drop to his knees Charlton Heston moment (Planet of the Apes ending).

Maybe the Avengers with focus on this angle.... I HOPE!!

Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote