The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The First Avenger

Old 08-07-2011, 10:07 PM   #151
pyromaniac
Side-Kick

Default Re: The ending, did you go WTF? *spoilers of course*

People who say that Captain America's defrosting needed to be shown probably miss the point that it was meant to represent his POV - the confusion and disorientation from waking up, and when he realises he is in present day, we are meant to feel the same as well.

That's why some people said it felt 'abrupt', and a 'wtf.' If that's the case, that's how Steve Rogers feels!

Also, why show the defrosting if we know he's going to survive, as the eponymous hero anyway? It would have created a false suspense, but also particularly it would have felt like a 'separate movie.' If that makes sense.

The ending was subtly poignant and that is the point. It certainly isn't a traditional trope, where everything that is self evident must be shown.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:22 PM   #152
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyromaniac View Post
People who say that Captain America's defrosting needed to be shown probably miss the point that it was meant to represent his POV - the confusion and disorientation from waking up, and when he realises he is in present day, we are meant to feel the same as well.

That's why some people said it felt 'abrupt', and a 'wtf.' If that's the case, that's how Steve Rogers feels!

Also, why show the defrosting if we know he's going to survive, as the eponymous hero anyway? It would have created a false suspense, but also particularly it would have felt like a 'separate movie.' If that makes sense.

The ending was subtly poignant and that is the point. It certainly isn't a traditional trope, where everything that is self evident must be shown.
I understand wanting the audience to be feeling the same as Cap. I think the thing I felt was "abrupt" about the ending was how quickly Cap seemed to accept it. I mean, he had the quick freak out and sprints out of the building...but after that, once Nick Fury shows up, he just kind of accepts what Fury is telling him. Not very realistic. I wanted to see him struggling with accepting it more. I wanted more of an emotional reaction out of him. I understand we'll get a lot of this in Avengers, and I'm not saying for a full 20 minutes of seeing Cap adjust, but maybe just draw out that ending scene for a few more minutes.

my veiws on Raimi's Spider-man
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
here
just scoll down

X-men Short film:

http://vimeo.com/41530049
Infinity9999x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:27 PM   #153
Shazam
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyromaniac View Post

Why show the spider bite Peter if we already know he's gonna get his powers? Why should we see the space craft leave Krypton?? Just have it found in a corn field?? Why show the Waynes get shot down?? The end result is not as fun as the journey.

Because it's part of his story! These are all visuals we have all been enjoying in print. We now have an opportunity to see it brought to life annnnnd...NOTHING.

Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:28 PM   #154
Shazam
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity9999x View Post
I understand wanting the audience to be feeling the same as Cap. I think the thing I felt was "abrupt" about the ending was how quickly Cap seemed to accept it. I mean, he had the quick freak out and sprints out of the building...but after that, once Nick Fury shows up, he just kind of accepts what Fury is telling him. Not very realistic. I wanted to see him struggling with accepting it more. I wanted more of an emotional reaction out of him. I understand we'll get a lot of this in Avengers, and I'm not saying for a full 20 minutes of seeing Cap adjust, but maybe just draw out that ending scene for a few more minutes.

Bingo!

Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:50 AM   #155
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

There was a lot of crying in my theatre at the end.
It was emotional enough for me.

Mysteryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:06 AM   #156
November Rain
Single Mother

personally i'm not sure whether they should have gotten him outta the ground yet

film should have ended moments after it started with them finding it and realising he's still alive.

the actual ending shown should have been the post title credits i think.

November Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:07 PM   #157
RockSP
MYTH SMITH ∞!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by November Rain View Post
personally i'm not sure whether they should have gotten him outta the ground yet

film should have ended moments after it started with them finding it and realising he's still alive.

Yep.

http://myth-smith.com/
RockSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:38 PM   #158
Pinky021
Side-Kick

Quote:

Agree. The final scene, I'd like it to be the post credit scene,, and have the Avengers teaser as a seperate trailer, not part of the Cap movie. IMO.

Pinky021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 04:02 PM   #159
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

So, we should discover THE HERO is ALIVE in an after credit scene that not everybody is going to see?
NO.
These movies are not just made for us and EVERYBODY should see the Hero survive.

Old 08-12-2011, 05:07 PM   #160
CelticPredator
Banned User

^ Tell that to Bruce Willis at the end of Armageddon...

CelticPredator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 05:40 PM   #161
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

I am not saying that the Hero HAS to survive .
I am saying that if it is in the plot that he is going to survive , then everybody should get a chance to see it, not just those who stay for the after credit scenes .

Old 08-12-2011, 08:49 PM   #162
Soulgem
Side-Kick

Great ending. Made even me wonder for a while what was going on. I like to be surprised. But we kinda already saw Cap being found in the opening...

Soulgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:22 PM   #163
RockSP
MYTH SMITH ∞!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
I am saying that if it is in the plot that he is going to survive , then everybody should get a chance to see it, not just those who stay for the after credit scenes .
Everyone would've gotten a chance to know it, if they'd done it sensibly.

Quote:

http://myth-smith.com/
RockSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 06:17 AM   #164
November Rain
Single Mother

well that's all we need

'oh my god, we've got a pulse'

would have been sufficient.

Old 08-13-2011, 06:19 AM   #165
November Rain
Single Mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
saying he's alive right at the end is enough to know he's survived

the awakening scene, doesn't particularly add to this notion and is just an easter egg bit for the fans as such, which can be covered very quickly again in a teaser trailer, internet released scene or at the beginning of the avengers.

to be fair, it'll be done anyway, it's not like the scene was a major part of the jigsaw anywho.