The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The First Avenger

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2011, 10:07 PM   #151
pyromaniac
Side-Kick
 
pyromaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 3,641
Default Re: The ending, did you go WTF? *spoilers of course*

People who say that Captain America's defrosting needed to be shown probably miss the point that it was meant to represent his POV - the confusion and disorientation from waking up, and when he realises he is in present day, we are meant to feel the same as well.

That's why some people said it felt 'abrupt', and a 'wtf.' If that's the case, that's how Steve Rogers feels!

Also, why show the defrosting if we know he's going to survive, as the eponymous hero anyway? It would have created a false suspense, but also particularly it would have felt like a 'separate movie.' If that makes sense.

The ending was subtly poignant and that is the point. It certainly isn't a traditional trope, where everything that is self evident must be shown.

__________________
'Had we but world enough, and time.'
pyromaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:22 PM   #152
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick
 
Infinity9999x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 9,453
Default Re: The ending, did you go WTF? *spoilers of course*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyromaniac View Post
People who say that Captain America's defrosting needed to be shown probably miss the point that it was meant to represent his POV - the confusion and disorientation from waking up, and when he realises he is in present day, we are meant to feel the same as well.

That's why some people said it felt 'abrupt', and a 'wtf.' If that's the case, that's how Steve Rogers feels!

Also, why show the defrosting if we know he's going to survive, as the eponymous hero anyway? It would have created a false suspense, but also particularly it would have felt like a 'separate movie.' If that makes sense.

The ending was subtly poignant and that is the point. It certainly isn't a traditional trope, where everything that is self evident must be shown.
I understand wanting the audience to be feeling the same as Cap. I think the thing I felt was "abrupt" about the ending was how quickly Cap seemed to accept it. I mean, he had the quick freak out and sprints out of the building...but after that, once Nick Fury shows up, he just kind of accepts what Fury is telling him. Not very realistic. I wanted to see him struggling with accepting it more. I wanted more of an emotional reaction out of him. I understand we'll get a lot of this in Avengers, and I'm not saying for a full 20 minutes of seeing Cap adjust, but maybe just draw out that ending scene for a few more minutes.

__________________


my veiws on Raimi's Spider-man
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
here
just scoll down


X-men Short film:

http://vimeo.com/41530049
Infinity9999x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:27 PM   #153
Shazam
Side-Kick
 
Shazam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,785
Default Re: The ending, did you go WTF? *spoilers of course*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyromaniac View Post
People who say that Captain America's defrosting needed to be shown probably miss the point that it was meant to represent his POV - the confusion and disorientation from waking up, and when he realises he is in present day, we are meant to feel the same as well.

That's why some people said it felt 'abrupt', and a 'wtf.' If that's the case, that's how Steve Rogers feels!

Also, why show the defrosting if we know he's going to survive, as the eponymous hero anyway? It would have created a false suspense, but also particularly it would have felt like a 'separate movie.' If that makes sense.

The ending was subtly poignant and that is the point. It certainly isn't a traditional trope, where everything that is self evident must be shown.

Why show the spider bite Peter if we already know he's gonna get his powers? Why should we see the space craft leave Krypton?? Just have it found in a corn field?? Why show the Waynes get shot down?? The end result is not as fun as the journey.

Because it's part of his story! These are all visuals we have all been enjoying in print. We now have an opportunity to see it brought to life annnnnd...NOTHING.

Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:28 PM   #154
Shazam
Side-Kick
 
Shazam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,785
Default Re: The ending, did you go WTF? *spoilers of course*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity9999x View Post
I understand wanting the audience to be feeling the same as Cap. I think the thing I felt was "abrupt" about the ending was how quickly Cap seemed to accept it. I mean, he had the quick freak out and sprints out of the building...but after that, once Nick Fury shows up, he just kind of accepts what Fury is telling him. Not very realistic. I wanted to see him struggling with accepting it more. I wanted more of an emotional reaction out of him. I understand we'll get a lot of this in Avengers, and I'm not saying for a full 20 minutes of seeing Cap adjust, but maybe just draw out that ending scene for a few more minutes.

Bingo!

Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:50 AM   #155
Mysteryman
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,253
Default Re: The ending, did you go WTF? *spoilers of course*

There was a lot of crying in my theatre at the end.
It was emotional enough for me.

Mysteryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:06 AM   #156
November Rain
Single Mother
 
November Rain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The Eleventh Place
Posts: 13,344
Default Re: The ending, did you go WTF? *spoilers of course*

personally i'm not sure whether they should have gotten him outta the ground yet

film should have ended moments after it started with them finding it and realising he's still alive.

the actual ending shown should have been the post title credits i think.

__________________
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
These are my weapons
The rain is my battlefield
November Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:07 PM   #157
RockSP
MYTH SMITH ∞!!!
 
RockSP's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 10,321
Default Re: The ending, did you go WTF? *spoilers of course*

Quote:
Originally Posted by November Rain View Post
personally i'm not sure whether they should have gotten him outta the ground yet

film should have ended moments after it started with them finding it and realising he's still alive.

the actual ending shown should have been the post title credits i think.
Yep.

__________________
It's not Marvel and DC's place to create our stories. We create our stories. --Dwayne McDuffie

http://myth-smith.com/
RockSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:38 PM   #158
Pinky021
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 133
Default Re: The ending, did you go WTF? *spoilers of course*

Quote:
Originally Posted by November Rain View Post
personally i'm not sure whether they should have gotten him outta the ground yet

film should have ended moments after it started with them finding it and realising he's still alive.

the actual ending shown should have been the post title credits i think.
Agree. The final scene, I'd like it to be the post credit scene,, and have the Avengers teaser as a seperate trailer, not part of the Cap movie. IMO.

Pinky021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 04:02 PM   #159
Mysteryman
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,253
Default Re: The ending, did you go WTF? *spoilers of course*

So, we should discover THE HERO is ALIVE in an after credit scene that not everybody is going to see?
NO.
These movies are not just made for us and EVERYBODY should see the Hero survive.

Mysteryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 05:07 PM   #160
CelticPredator
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,156
Default Re: The ending, did you go WTF? *spoilers of course*

^ Tell that to Bruce Willis at the end of Armageddon...

CelticPredator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 05:40 PM   #161
Mysteryman
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,253
Default Re: The ending, did you go WTF? *spoilers of course*

I am not saying that the Hero HAS to survive .
I am saying that if it is in the plot that he is going to survive , then everybody should get a chance to see it, not just those who stay for the after credit scenes .

Mysteryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:49 PM   #162
Soulgem
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Norway
Posts: 139
Default Re: The ending, did you go WTF? *spoilers of course*

Great ending. Made even me wonder for a while what was going on. I like to be surprised. But we kinda already saw Cap being found in the opening...

Soulgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:22 PM   #163
RockSP
MYTH SMITH ∞!!!
 
RockSP's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 10,321
Default Re: The ending, did you go WTF? *spoilers of course*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
I am not saying that the Hero HAS to survive .
I am saying that if it is in the plot that he is going to survive , then everybody should get a chance to see it, not just those who stay for the after credit scenes .
Everyone would've gotten a chance to know it, if they'd done it sensibly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by November Rain View Post
film should have ended moments after it started with them finding it and realising he's still alive.

__________________
It's not Marvel and DC's place to create our stories. We create our stories. --Dwayne McDuffie

http://myth-smith.com/
RockSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 06:17 AM   #164
November Rain
Single Mother
 
November Rain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The Eleventh Place
Posts: 13,344
Default Re: The ending, did you go WTF? *spoilers of course*

well that's all we need

'oh my god, we've got a pulse'

would have been sufficient.

__________________
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
These are my weapons
The rain is my battlefield
November Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 06:19 AM   #165
November Rain
Single Mother
 
November Rain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The Eleventh Place
Posts: 13,344
Default Re: The ending, did you go WTF? *spoilers of course*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
I am not saying that the Hero HAS to survive .
I am saying that if it is in the plot that he is going to survive , then everybody should get a chance to see it, not just those who stay for the after credit scenes .
saying he's alive right at the end is enough to know he's survived

the awakening scene, doesn't particularly add to this notion and is just an easter egg bit for the fans as such, which can be covered very quickly again in a teaser trailer, internet released scene or at the beginning of the avengers.

to be fair, it'll be done anyway, it's not like the scene was a major part of the jigsaw anywho.

__________________
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
These are my weapons
The rain is my battlefield
November Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:16 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.