The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > Batman World

View Poll Results: Who was the better Batman / Bruce Wayne, and why?
Christian Bale (Batman Begins and The Dark Knight) 265 61.20%
Michael Keaton (B89 and Batman Returns) 168 38.80%
Voters: 433. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-12-2012, 02:46 PM   #126
The Morningstar
Banned User

Default Re: Christian Bale v.s. Michael Keaton - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
That's the teachings he learned from Ra's. It is not naive to think that, especially when you've never encountered someone like the Joker, who was previously seen robbing banks.

It's not foolish to assume he was after something logical like money, and he just wanted Batman out of the way, hence why he was trying to get him to unmask.
That just makes him even more naive. He was a 20/30 something by the time he met Ra's. And he just believes everything he says? What is he, some kind of man child? lol

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that some people are ****s simply because... they are ****s.

Quote:
He doesn't think any such thing. He does it because he feels he has enough blood on his hands because people are being killed because of him.
People are being killed because of him, so he considers quitting, so no more people will be killed because of him. So he believes Joker will stop killing people if he quits, which makes him naive. Either that or he simply doesn't want the responsibility in Gothams hour of need, which makes him a douche.

Quote:
What is naive about that? That in such a short space of time The Joker has instilled more fear in Gotham's underworld than he ever could, even though he took down Falcone, Ra's and forced the mob to change tactics and meet in daylight. That is surprising and impressive.
Why is it surprising? He doesn't kill people (apparently). Joker does, in horrific ways. Again, doesn't take a genius to figure out who is more frightening. What's worse? A broken arm? Or your face being slashed open?

Quote:
She did tell him at the end of Begins that they could be together the day he stopped being Batman.
Yea, but if he reveals himself as Batman how is he going to be able to have a relationship with her? He'll be in prison and she, as a lawyer, won't be able to have anything to do with him.

The Morningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:57 PM   #127
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Morningstar View Post
That just makes him even more naive. He was a 20/30 something by the time he met Ra's. And he just believes everything he says? What is he, some kind of man child? lol
Ra's ran a successful organization of crime fighters and justice seekers. He taught Bruce how to conquer his anger, his fears, and how to fight.

Why shouldn't he believe Ra's views on criminals? It's the methods for dealing with them that they disagree on.

Quote:
It doesn't take a genius to figure out that some people are ****s simply because... they are ****s.
Except you're ignoring Joker's behavior up to this point. He came off as a criminal who was robbing banks and being hired for more money by the mob to get rid of Batman.

You really trying to say a man like that doesn't sound like he could be after something logical?

Even the audience don't realize until later that Joker has no interest in money when he gathers his half together and burns the lot.

Quote:
People are being killed because of him, so he considers quitting, so no more people will be killed because of him. So he believes Joker will stop killing people if he quits, which makes him naive.
Once again he NEVER believed it would stop Joker. Quote me the line in the movie where he said that or even hinted that him giving himself up would stop Joker.

In fact Rachel said that to him and his response was "I have enough blood on my hands".

Quote:
Either that or he simply doesn't want the responsibility in Gothams hour of need, which makes him a douche.
Wrong. He felt Gotham was in safer hands with Harvey Dent. Turning himself in and outing himself as Batman and facing arrest and prison time doesn't make him a douche.

Quote:
Why is it surprising? He doesn't kill people. Joker does, in horrific ways. Again, doesn't take a genius to figure out who is more frightening. What's worse? A broken arm? Or your face being slashed open?
Anyone in the mob underworld can kill. Falcone killed Chill just for daring to cross him. Falcone killed anyone who crossed him. Gotham was scared stiff of him. That's why Bruce went to confront him to show he is one person in Gotham who was not scared of him. The difference between Falcone and the Joker is Joker has no rules, as Maroni pointed out.

If you don't think Batman should be surprised that Joker managed to make them all quake in fear of him in the space of a few days, then you're fooling yourself, mate. Joker's rise to power in Gotham was really impressive.

He went from "A two bit whack job who wears a cheap purple suit and make up. He's not the problem. He's a nobody" to ruler of the underworld in days.

Quote:
Yea, but if he reveals himself as Batman how is he going to be able to have a relationship with her? He'll be in prison and she, as a lawyer, won't be able to have anything to do with him.
He knows that. Rachel even said that to him herself. "Bruce, if you turn yourself in they're not going to let us be together". But he thought Rachel was going to wait for him. "She was going to wait for me, Alfred. Dent doesn't know. He can never know".

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:22 PM   #128
shallbecomeabat
Yes, father...

For me its Bale. Easily. I didn't like anything about Keatons performance, his look, his fighting style, suit, gadgets and vehicles (maybe apart from the armored up Batmobile, which looked kinda cool).
Even back when we didn't have any other Batman movies (apart from the West version) I was absolutely disappointed by the movie in general, which is mostly Burtons fault. Also I really hate homicidal Batman.

Bale however, play Batman exactly like I always wanted him to be played. Even the voice! Love his look for Batman, since hes the first actor who really looks like he would be able to kick 7 guys asses at the same time. With Keaton it was always like nearly every normal audience member could take him in a fight. He looks like a child in the suit. Even Kim Basinger would beat him up.
No, Bale looks imposing as hell. The only scenes where he dropped the ball was the final talk with Joker and the final talk with Gordon. Whats he doing with his lips there?!

shallbecomeabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:28 AM   #129
ALP
In The Mountains

I love Keaton's performances. For me, he's where the heart is. But I won't pretend he hasn't been outdone. I'd say Keaton is my favorite on a personal level but we've got richer depth and characterization from Bale's take. That will only progress with TDKR.

"We want to see the newest things. That is because we want to see the future, even if only momentarily. It is the moment in which, even if we don't completely understand what we have glimpsed, we are nonetheless touched by it. This is what we have come to call art." -Takashi Murakami

God has a name...and it is CHRISTOPHER NOLAN
ALP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:35 PM   #130
Doomsday
Side-Kick

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Doomsday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:37 PM   #131
Travesty
Dats right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomsday View Post
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
"ok, that's not good".

That's one of the biggest reasons why Bale will never even come close to being my favorite Batman.

*Dat Kane and his gifs!
Travesty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:41 PM   #132
Fudgie
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shallbecomeabat View Post
For me its Bale. Easily. I didn't like anything about Keatons performance, his look, his fighting style, suit, gadgets and vehicles (maybe apart from the armored up Batmobile, which looked kinda cool).
Even back when we didn't have any other Batman movies (apart from the West version) I was absolutely disappointed by the movie in general, which is mostly Burtons fault. Also I really hate homicidal Batman.

Bale however, play Batman exactly like I always wanted him to be played. Even the voice! Love his look for Batman, since hes the first actor who really looks like he would be able to kick 7 guys asses at the same time. With Keaton it was always like nearly every normal audience member could take him in a fight. He looks like a child in the suit. Even Kim Basinger would beat him up.
No, Bale looks imposing as hell. The only scenes where he dropped the ball was the final talk with Joker and the final talk with Gordon. Whats he doing with his lips there?!
Hear hear. Bale is the best.

Fudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:44 PM   #133
The Morningstar
Banned User

It's not so much his voice itself that bothers me, it's that it's forced, it's an act. Batman shouldn't be a conscious "act" by Wayne. Batman should come to him almost subconsciously.

Again, Keaton is more intimidating and creepy with a cold, almost disembodied whisper and the glare of a madman than Bale can ever be with his shouting and histrionics. Bale's Batman is like this really outwardly angry guy. Keaton's is like a cold, distant psychopath.

The Morningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:44 PM   #134
Blue Sugar
Banned User

I do really like Keaton in the role. But for me Bale is just on another level, he brought the live-action character of Batman into my heart. I even love his Bat-voice (yeah it got a bit too much in TDK some moments) that so many others hate. But most of all he captures every side of Wayne perfectly. The Batman, the playboy Bruce and the real Bruce.

Blue Sugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:45 PM   #135
Blue Sugar
Banned User

Plus he is way sexier than Keaton. :P

Blue Sugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:50 PM   #136
Travesty
Dats right!

Quote:
It's not so much his voice itself that bothers me, it's that it's forced, it's an act. Batman shouldn't be a conscious "act" by Wayne. Batman should come to him almost subconsciously.
That's basically it. Batman shouldn't feel forced, it should feel natural to be in the suit, but once he starts talking, it's just so forced and awkward. I shouldn't be on the verge of laughing when I hear Batman talk, unless it's the 60s show or B&R.

*Dat Kane and his gifs!
Old 03-27-2012, 05:24 PM   #137
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

I know this video is childish... but damn if it doesn't make a point.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

I'll miss you dad! xx

Pfeiffer-Pfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:28 PM   #138
Travesty
Dats right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight90! View Post
I know this video is childish... but damn if it doesn't make a point.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
I don't know why, but these little videos crack me up.

-"YURLL BUR IN UR PARDDED CELL FURUVER"

Edit: the youtube responses are even better: "you're peanut butter and jello forever"

*Dat Kane and his gifs!

Last edited by Travesty; 03-27-2012 at 05:38 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:51 PM   #139
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Sugar View Post
Lol, I knew after all the explanations the real reason would come out.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:34 PM   #140
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

^LOL I notice that too.

Elevator Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:51 PM   #141
Ponyboy
I'm the real Peterman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Sugar View Post
Guess it depends on what turns you on. My sister thinks Keaton is sexier (and she's 27)

Old 03-28-2012, 09:56 AM   #142
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

Like we mentioned earlier on, you'd **** your pants if you ran into Keaton's Bat at night by yourself. I would honestly think he was going to murder me.

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:07 PM   #143
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:

Again, Keaton is more intimidating and creepy with a cold, almost disembodied whisper and the glare of a madman than Bale can ever be with his shouting and histrionics. Bale's Batman is like this really outwardly angry guy. Keaton's is like a cold, distant psychopath.
Exactly Morningstar.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:07 PM   #144
Frodo
Side-Kick

I also think it depends on which type of Batman you prefer.
Burton wanted everything to be mysterious or , where as Nolan wanted to ground the explanations in logic. Burton really didn't want the audience to know Bruce Wayne, Where Nolan wants you to understand Bruce Wayne and his motivations. Burton really isn't into storytelling where as Nolan is all about storytelling and plotting . Burton is much more about feelings and atmosphere , where as Nolan is cerebral and focussed on concepts . So both actors reflect their director's and their scripts different approaches to the characters. As a result the Keaton and Nolan Batman reflect the different directors styles.

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:00 PM   #145
Young Superman
The Last Son of Krypton

I prefer Keaton over Bale, because Keaton's Batman scared the crap outta me.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:15 PM   #146
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

We're lucky to have had them both as far as I am concerned.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:00 AM   #147
OutRiddled
Banned User

Michael Keaton will always be my favourite Batman. His understated performance is what really made the movie good, especially in contrast to the villains.

Christian Bale was playing his American Psycho/Patrick Bateman for Bruce Wayne and delivering the silliest Batman voice I've ever heard. The only good thing is he had the physique for the role, even though often times he looks fat in the suit.

So, Michael Keaton all the way.

OutRiddled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:20 PM   #148
GothamAlleys
Side-Kick

While both starred in different genres, and one was more of a Gothic literature figure and the other one a dramatic character, they both share the basic core of the dark portrayal of the Batman character - http://gothamalleys.blogspot.com/201...mmon-core.html

Old 05-02-2012, 09:51 PM   #149
DaRkVeNgeanCe
Godzilla is coming!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneFan View Post
We're lucky to have had them both as far as I am concerned.
Im in 100% agreement with this statement!!!

SUMMER MOVIES - Captain America TWS 8/10 I The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5/10 I Godzilla 9/10 I X-Men: DOFP 9.5/10 I Maleficent 4/10 I Edge of Tomorrow 8.5/10 I 22 Jump Street 9/10 I Transformers 4 3/10
DaRkVeNgeanCe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:53 AM   #150
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothamAlleys View Post
While both starred in different genres, and one was more of a Gothic literature figure and the other one a dramatic character, they both share the basic core of the dark portrayal of the Batman character - http://gothamalleys.blogspot.com/201...mmon-core.html
I enjoyed read that, Gotham Alleys. Very true.

Any other articles in the pipeline?

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote