The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > Batman World

View Poll Results: Who was the better Batman / Bruce Wayne, and why?
Christian Bale (Batman Begins and The Dark Knight) 265 61.20%
Michael Keaton (B89 and Batman Returns) 168 38.80%
Voters: 433. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2012, 03:02 PM   #201
Doc Samson
Superhero Psychiatrist
 
Doc Samson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: GammaBase
Posts: 4,233
Default Re: Christian Bale v.s. Michael Keaton - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Fudgie made a valid point about Keaton's Batman. His mythical status, such as it was for the short time it existed, was eradicated after that alley scene in Batman '89 with Joker's men. In Batman Returns he didn't have one scene where he appeared and disappeared, or used the shadows. He would walk around Gotham's streets beating up the Penguin's gang and killing a few of them, too.

Bale's Batman did more stealth and shadowy stuff in Begins alone than Keaton did in his two movies combined. It was toned down in TDK, but he still did it like in the bank vault, the roof scene with Gordon and Dent etc. It made a brief return in TDKR in the tunnels scene with Bane's men. Most of all you felt the fear criminals had for him in Gotham in Begins and TDK. Not just the street criminals but the corrupt, too, like Flass. The only time you see it with Keaton's Batman is in Batman '89 with the muggers at the start. The underworld never shows any concern about him. Joker only wants him because he dropped him in the chemicals. Nobody showed any fear of him or his alleged reputation in Returns.

I do agree that the fact that he does murder people is an easy trait to use to make someone more fearsome. Especially this "look" in his eye some people have mentioned. The eyes of a killer. Well that's because he was a killer. But then anyone can kill so it's not very impressive, IMO.
The whole Axis Chemicals scene showed Batman appearing and disappearing at will. He descends into the place out of nowhere, hangs the thug upside down and walks off, clearly disturbing Gordon. Then he's behind a pillar waiting for another goon. After that he's following Napier up the stairs, the way it's shot it looks like he's almost floating, and Napier has no clue. Then he appears from seemingly nowhere again, grabs Jack, let's him go, disappears before Napier can grab his gun and shoot, reappears seconds later to deflect the bullet & drop him into the chemicals, then leaves in a puff of smoke. Lol, if that's not stealthy, shadowy stuff, I don't know what is.

Furthermore, the underworld isn't really shown one way or the other, so how can we know exactly how they feel towards him? All we really see is Grissom setting up Napier to go to the chemical plant and then a mob meeting where the Joker is obviously the main point of focus.

Once again, when I speak of that supernatural feel to Keaton's Batman, it's not just based on his actions, it's his presence, and I'm primarily talking about B89. His eyes are piercing just because they are, it's not because he kills. Michael Keaton just looks crazy as hell in that cowl, simple as that.

The fact that he barely talks, and when he does, he's whispering, is a creepy element. When he's taking Vicki back to the cave and says nothing the whole ride is one of my favorite scenes, how he doesn't even want her looking at his face, that's Batman to me. Obviously the suit weighed probably almost as much as he did, but those unnatural robotic movements further help sell his more mechanical portrayal. To me, his Batman seems cold, callous even. Of course he does kill wantonly, and I'm not justifying that, but I like the feeling that he's almost not really there underneath the mask. And personally, I like that style of Batman better than Bale's, who's quick to monologue or speechify at the drop of a hat.

__________________
"I don't give a **** what you say. If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, 'Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations,' Well, **** you. Because I don't play for your ******* approval. I play for my own love and enjoyment of the game. And to win. That's what I play for."
- Kobe Bryant

"As of right now, I don't know what he do good, cause what may work on another fighter is not gonna work on me."

- Floyd Mayweather

Last edited by Doc Samson; 09-27-2012 at 03:10 PM.
Doc Samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:19 PM   #202
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys
 
terry78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 60,281
Default Re: Christian Bale v.s. Michael Keaton - Part 2

Also this was the first Batman in live action we had gotten that wasn't campy. Burton basically wanted to reinvent that whole thing. The comics at that time captured it perfectly but most people only knew of the Adam West thing.

__________________
The only thing funnier than watching stupid people argue is watching smart people argue.
-----------
Who the **** makes a movie and while planning it is like, "you know what this needs...is some Greg Kinnear."
terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:45 PM   #203
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime
 
The Joker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Jollity Farm
Posts: 37,317
Default Re: Christian Bale v.s. Michael Keaton - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Samson View Post
The whole Axis Chemicals scene showed Batman appearing and disappearing at will. He descends into the place out of nowhere, hangs the thug upside down and walks off, clearly disturbing Gordon. Then he's behind a pillar waiting for another goon. After that he's following Napier up the stairs, the way it's shot it looks like he's almost floating, and Napier has no clue. Then he appears from seemingly nowhere again, grabs Jack, let's him go, disappears before Napier can grab his gun and shoot, reappears seconds later to deflect the bullet & drop him into the chemicals, then leaves in a puff of smoke. Lol, if that's not stealthy, shadowy stuff, I don't know what is.
My post:
Quote:
In all honesty apart from the muggers scene and the Axis Chemicals scene he is not a shadowy stealthy kind of Batman. He bursts in thru the skylight into the museum with all the subtly of a bull in a china shop. He simply used the element of surprise there to snatch Vicki to safety. He was only there because he was reacting to the message he got about Vicki meeting him in the museum.

He goes running through the streets with Vicki in full view of many Gothamites when his Batmobile is forced to stop during the chase with Joker's men. His remaining scenes have him drive his Batmobile into Axis to blow it up, and then descend on Gotham in his Batwing to remove the deadly gas balloons and shoot at Joker and his men. The church scene has no shadowy stealth Batman either. He hobbles up the stairway, gets pummeled by one of Joker's men, and then Vicki has to distract Joker so Batman can sneak upon him. In fairness to him he was injured from the Batwing crash but you get my point. All of this was in reaction to Joker's public dare to come and meet him at midnight at the parade.

I love Keaton's Batman but I think these mythical supernatural descriptions of him are blown out of proportion a bit. There really wasn't that much of it in Batman '89, and none at all in Returns.


Quote:
Furthermore, the underworld isn't really shown one way or the other, so how can we know exactly how they feel towards him? All we really see is Grissom setting up Napier to go to the chemical plant and then a mob meeting where the Joker is obviously the main point of focus.
Exactly. So the feeling that he's some scary mythic supernatural element is felt by nobody in two movies except a pair of muggers. Burton's movies never make it's characters truly dread Batman so I never really felt it either.

His urban legend status is very short lived.

Quote:
Once again, when I speak of that supernatural feel to Keaton's Batman, it's not just based on his actions, it's his presence, and I'm primarily talking about B89. His eyes are piercing just because they are, it's not because he kills. Michael Keaton just looks crazy as hell in that cowl, simple as that.
Crazy looking eyes don't equate to a supernatural feel, IMO. DeVito's Penguin had a crazy murderous look in his eyes, too, but he never felt supernatural. It's easy to make a guy dressed as a giant bat who only comes out at night look crazy. The idea in itself is crazy. Couple that with the fact this version of Batman kills people in brutal ways several times, well it's not a hard task to make him look crazy and unhinged.

Quote:
The fact that he barely talks, and when he does, he's whispering, is a creepy element. When he's taking Vicki back to the cave and says nothing the whole ride is one of my favorite scenes, how he doesn't even want her looking at his face, that's Batman to me. Obviously the suit weighed probably almost as much as he did, but those unnatural robotic movements further help sell his more mechanical portrayal. To me, his Batman seems cold, callous even. Of course he does kill wantonly, and I'm not justifying that, but I like the feeling that he's almost not really there underneath the mask. And personally, I like that style of Batman better than Bale's, who's quick to monologue or speechify at the drop of a hat.
Not to me. A mechanical stiff looking Batman looks unnatural and awkward. I never got that impression of him when I look at the comics and see him in action, or when I watch him in the animated series. Or the brilliant Arkham video games. In fact I don't see it in any version of Batman I've ever seen. He moves with a swift elegant vibrancy. Not a man stiff in a bulky suit. I can't imagine why anyone would want a stiff mechanical looking Batman.

You're right, Keaton's Batman is cold and callous. He has no moral reservations about taking a life. He's a socially isolated loner whom Gotham's press doesn't even recognize when they meet him. I don't ever remember Bruce Wayne being portrayed that way either. He's generally a cold character and doesn't even share a friendship with Batman stalwart Jim Gordon. In fact out of two movies I can only think of one very brief scene they have together when Batman is walking away and Gordon is running after him thanking him for stopping the Circus gang. I missed the Batman/Gordon dynamic in Burton's movies. In fact I missed Gordon having a personality at all.

I don't question your taste in Batman portrayals, I just don't hold it in as high esteem as you do. Nor do I agree with the assessment that he's like some supernatural mythical entity for the aforementioned reasons stated. He could not even retain his mystique for a whole movie.

Yes, I prefer a Batman who still shows his humanity under the mask. Bruce Wayne is one of the most human and tragic of the comic book heroes. I want to see it and hear it.

__________________
"Sometimes I remember it one way. Sometimes another. If I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!"

- The Joker

Last edited by The Joker; 09-27-2012 at 04:51 PM.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:08 PM   #204
Doc Samson
Superhero Psychiatrist
 
Doc Samson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: GammaBase
Posts: 4,233
Default Re: Christian Bale v.s. Michael Keaton - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
My post:





Exactly. So the feeling that he's some scary mythic supernatural element is felt by nobody in two movies except a pair of muggers. Burton's movies never make it's characters truly dread Batman so I never really felt it either.

His urban legend status is very short lived.



Crazy looking eyes don't equate to a supernatural feel, IMO. DeVito's Penguin had a crazy murderous look in his eyes, too, but he never felt supernatural. It's easy to make a guy dressed as a giant bat who only comes out at night look crazy. The idea in itself is crazy. Couple that with the fact this version of Batman kills people in brutal ways several times, well it's not a hard task to make him look crazy and unhinged.



Not to me. A mechanical stiff looking Batman looks unnatural and awkward. I never got that impression of him when I look at the comics and see him in action, or when I watch him in the animated series. Or the brilliant Arkham video games. In fact I don't see it in any version of Batman I've ever seen. He moves with a swift elegant vibrancy. Not a man stiff in a bulky suit. I can't imagine why anyone would want a stiff mechanical looking Batman.

You're right, Keaton's Batman is cold and callous. He has no moral reservations about taking a life. He's a socially isolated loner whom Gotham's press doesn't even recognize when they meet him. I don't ever remember Bruce Wayne being portrayed that way either. He's generally a cold character and doesn't even share a friendship with Batman stalwart Jim Gordon. In fact out of two movies I can only think of one very brief scene they have together when Batman is walking away and Gordon is running after him thanking him for stopping the Circus gang. I missed the Batman/Gordon dynamic in Burton's movies. In fact I missed Gordon having a personality at all.

I don't question your taste in Batman portrayals, I just don't hold it in as high esteem as you do. Nor do I agree with the assessment that he's like some supernatural mythical entity for the aforementioned reasons stated. He could not even retain his mystique for a whole movie.

Yes, I prefer a Batman who still shows his humanity under the mask. Bruce Wayne is one of the most human and tragic of the comic book heroes. I want to see it and hear it.
I understand your view, we can agree to disagree (pretty much par for the course ) but I think your equating how Batman is viewed by the public or other characters in a movie as a barometer for his presence, and I'm not. I'm using how I react to him, as a member of the audience, and to me, he's much more like a spiritual, mythical, mysterious figure than Bale's ever was.

The killing is aside from the fact, if he never killed anyone, the portrayal to me would still ring the same. Your right, he doesn't say anything to Gordon outside of a few words in BR, and even then he doesn't look at him. I understand how important that relationship is to the mythos, but at the same time, I just love that cold, almost inhuman, robotic demeanor. It's no different with Nolan's Joker, I understand the element that bleached white skin is supposed to illustrate, at the same time I absolutely love Heath's version wearing paint, and prefer it over anything else.

That scene in BR with Bruce sitting in absolute darkness, waiting for the signal to shine, that's one of my favorites in any Batman film to date. The same things Nolan was trying to show us in TDKR were exemplified in that brief scene in BR. I like that side of Bruce, that darkness in literal & figurative terms are what endears the character to me. Did Burton play it up a tad too much? Of course. It's clear that Nolan has a truer representation of the character as a whole and his trilogy is the gold standard. But in terms of Batman singularly, I prefer what Keaton brought to the table, and it still holds up today as my favorite visually & thematically.

__________________
"I don't give a **** what you say. If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, 'Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations,' Well, **** you. Because I don't play for your ******* approval. I play for my own love and enjoyment of the game. And to win. That's what I play for."
- Kobe Bryant

"As of right now, I don't know what he do good, cause what may work on another fighter is not gonna work on me."

- Floyd Mayweather
Doc Samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:37 PM   #205
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime
 
The Joker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Jollity Farm
Posts: 37,317
Default Re: Christian Bale v.s. Michael Keaton - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Samson View Post
I understand your view, we can agree to disagree (pretty much par for the course )
But always a pleasure, never a chore nonetheless

Quote:
but I think your equating how Batman is viewed by the public or other characters in a movie as a barometer for his presence, and I'm not.
I am and I think that helps sell a character by seeing how other characters react to him. I'll try and explain with another example from Batman 1989.

I never felt that Jack's Joker caused much terror or chaos in Gotham, even though by rights he should have since he was murdering people through their shopping products. That should have caused a mass panic and fear where you can't go to the supermarket and be worried you're buying a lethal poison in your shampoo lol. But Burton never showed Gotham being scared of the Joker. Apart from a news report that mentioned some deaths that happened because of the poison scam, the Joker never felt like he terrified Gotham or pit it into fear and chaos. They ignore him completely when he's on TV until he mentions handing out free money, then they give him their attention. Bizarre considering the guy who was killing them via their products is talking on TV and Gotham is acting like a boring editorial is on. Therefore I never felt like he was a terrifying villain. Nobody except Vicki ever really reacted in fear to him.

In comparison to Heath's Joker, even when he wasn't even on screen you could see and feel the terror and panic and chaos his presence is inflicting on Gotham. Even Gotham's underworld feared him more than they did Batman.

Quote:
I'm using how I react to him, as a member of the audience, and to me, he's much more like a spiritual, mythical, mysterious figure than Bale's ever was.
I don't agree with spiritual or mythical, because he wasn't shown as that, IMO, for the aforementioned reasons. But mysterious yes, he was more mysterious than Bale's Batman and that to me was down to the fact that they never delved much into his character. We didn't know much about him. Schumacher did in Batman Forever when he did the plot lines of Bruce having nightmares about his parents death, their funeral, falling into the cave and seeing the giant bat etc. He also equated his pain to Dick, and it gave more insight into how he has come to view his life as Batman and what a curse it is to him and how it's made his life.

I really enjoyed all of that and help round out Batman more as a character. I believe Schumacher was covering ground he probably felt was neglected in the first two movies. You see I'm all for Batman being mysterious as long as it's to those around him and not at the expense of the viewers. He's not like the V character from V for Vendetta. Bruce Wayne's story is an open book. And a fascinating one, too. Again this is my preference.

Quote:
The killing is aside from the fact, if he never killed anyone, the portrayal to me would still ring the same. Your right, he doesn't say anything to Gordon outside of a few words in BR, and even then he doesn't look at him. I understand how important that relationship is to the mythos, but at the same time, I just love that cold, almost inhuman, robotic demeanor. It's no different with Nolan's Joker, I understand the element that bleached white skin is supposed to illustrate, at the same time I absolutely love Heath's version wearing paint, and prefer it over anything else.
The thing with your analogy there is you're equating a physical change to a character change. Bleached skin or face paint, he was still psychologically the Joker, and looked like the Joker. Green hair, white face, red lips, perma smile, purple suit etc. It's like Batman swapping his grey tights and blue cape for a black cape and a rubber suit. Different style but same basic look. Still Batman.

No Batman and Gordon interaction is different.

Quote:
That scene in BR with Bruce sitting in absolute darkness, waiting for the signal to shine, that's one of my favorites in any Batman film to date.
I love that scene, too, but at the same time I found it strange. Why was Bruce sitting around at night waiting for trouble to happen? Why was he not out prowling the rooftops like he was at the start of Batman 1989 actively looking for it?

Maybe it's because when the Joker was killed crime seemingly came to an end in Gotham. Gordon did mention something to that effect in the final scene of the movie.

Quote:
I like that side of Bruce, that darkness in literal & figurative terms are what endears the character to me. Did Burton play it up a tad too much? Of course. It's clear that Nolan has a truer representation of the character as a whole and his trilogy is the gold standard. But in terms of Batman singularly, I prefer what Keaton brought to the table, and it still holds up today as my favorite visually & thematically.
As I said I don't question your preference of Batman portrayals. I love Keaton's Batman myself. I've got some problems with it, 99% of them I've mentioned in this discussion with you, but nevertheless a great performance.

__________________
"Sometimes I remember it one way. Sometimes another. If I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!"

- The Joker

Last edited by The Joker; 09-27-2012 at 05:46 PM.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:47 PM   #206
kewlmatto
Side-Kick
 
kewlmatto's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 303
Default Re: Christian Bale v.s. Michael Keaton - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Good theory, but in all honesty apart from the muggers scene and the Axis Chemicals scene he is not a shadowy stealthy kind of Batman. He bursts in thru the skylight into the museum with all the subtly of a bull in a china shop. He simply used the element of surprise there to snatch Vicki to safety. He was only there because he was reacting to the message he got about Vicki meeting him in the museum.

He goes running through the streets with Vicki in full view of many Gothamites when his Batmobile is forced to stop during the chase with Joker's men. His remaining scenes have him drive his Batmobile into Axis to blow it up, and then descend on Gotham in his Batwing to remove the deadly gas balloons and shoot at Joker and his men. The church scene has no shadowy stealth Batman either. He hobbles up the stairway, gets pummeled by one of Joker's men, and then Vicki has to distract Joker so Batman can sneak upon him. In fairness to him he was injured from the Batwing crash but you get my point. All of this was in reaction to Joker's public dare to come and meet him at midnight at the parade.

I love Keaton's Batman but I think these mythical supernatural descriptions of him are blown out of proportion a bit. There really wasn't that much of it in Batman '89, and none at all in Returns.
Not all that many Gothamites see Batman in '89. The streets are usually empty or emptying (like the final balloon scene - people leave pretty quickly). They see the Batmobile and the Batwing, which if anything just adds to the mystery of the character.

I agree overall - the mythical nature is blown out of proportion, but it's still there. Batman progressively becomes more visible as a person (not just a mysterious being in vehicles) over the two films. By the start of Returns and the Red Triangle Gang scene, Gotham pretty much knows exactly what Batman looks like, and there is less mystique around him. The way the Gotham Globe reports on him is another indication of that.

I think it's fitting that Batman actively aims to do this. He pretty much establishes some form of order in response to Joker in the first film, by giving the signal, etc. Then he works far more openly in the next film. To the point where he walks around the streets at night, not just in the car. Until Penguin and Shreck shake things up, it's 'his city' for a while.

__________________
FEAR THE BATMAN - A fanscript for a third Burton Batman film / continuation of Batman Returns. Scarecrow. Black Mask. Sasha Bordeaux. Please read and give feedback.
kewlmatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:14 PM   #207
TruerToTheCore
Banned User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Earth-1
Posts: 2,936
Default Re: Christian Bale v.s. Michael Keaton - Part 2

Well, "mystical Batman" (and also "brooding Batman") is something people always THINK Batman is about but if you really look at 1989 and the years before it hardly exists in the Batman comics.

TruerToTheCore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:18 PM   #208
Doc Samson
Superhero Psychiatrist
 
Doc Samson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: GammaBase
Posts: 4,233
Default Re: Christian Bale v.s. Michael Keaton - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruerToTheCore View Post
Well, "mystical Batman" (and also "brooding Batman") is something people always THINK Batman is about but if you really look at 1989 and the years before it hardly exists in the Batman comics.
Well that version of Batman is very strongly influenced by Miller's work, and most people my age were introduced to Batman during that time period, hence, why a lot of us prefer brooding, dark Batman. Not to mention Bob Kane's original concept was very much in line with that.

This Link Gothamalleys originally posted pretty much exemplifies exactly what I'm talking about:

http://www.gothamalleys.blogspot.com...in-movies.html

__________________
"I don't give a **** what you say. If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, 'Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations,' Well, **** you. Because I don't play for your ******* approval. I play for my own love and enjoyment of the game. And to win. That's what I play for."
- Kobe Bryant

"As of right now, I don't know what he do good, cause what may work on another fighter is not gonna work on me."

- Floyd Mayweather

Last edited by Doc Samson; 09-27-2012 at 07:28 PM.
Doc Samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:34 PM   #209
kewlmatto
Side-Kick
 
kewlmatto's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 303
Default Re: Christian Bale v.s. Michael Keaton - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Samson View Post
This Link Gothamalleys originally posted pretty much exemplifies exactly what I'm talking about:

http://www.gothamalleys.blogspot.com...in-movies.html
Great article!

__________________
FEAR THE BATMAN - A fanscript for a third Burton Batman film / continuation of Batman Returns. Scarecrow. Black Mask. Sasha Bordeaux. Please read and give feedback.
kewlmatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:39 PM   #210
Doc Samson
Superhero Psychiatrist
 
Doc Samson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: GammaBase
Posts: 4,233
Default Re: Christian Bale v.s. Michael Keaton - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kewlmatto View Post
Great article!
It's fantastic! Props to Gothamalleys, it speaks to the core of what I find appealing about Keaton & Burton's portrayal.

__________________
"I don't give a **** what you say. If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, 'Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations,' Well, **** you. Because I don't play for your ******* approval. I play for my own love and enjoyment of the game. And to win. That's what I play for."
- Kobe Bryant

"As of right now, I don't know what he do good, cause what may work on another fighter is not gonna work on me."

- Floyd Mayweather
Doc Samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:43 PM   #211
TruerToTheCore
Banned User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Earth-1
Posts: 2,936
Default Re: Christian Bale v.s. Michael Keaton - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Samson View Post
Well that version of Batman is very strongly influenced by Miller's work, and most people my age were introduced to Batman during that time period, hence, why a lot of us prefer brooding, dark Batman.
Miller's Batman is hardly "mystical".
Quote:
Not to mention Bob Kane's original concept was very much in line with that.
Bob Kane's original concept was Bird-Man. But I know what you mean and I disagree. There is no brooding in the early Batman stories.

TruerToTheCore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:55 PM   #212
Doc Samson
Superhero Psychiatrist
 
Doc Samson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: GammaBase
Posts: 4,233
Default Re: Christian Bale v.s. Michael Keaton - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruerToTheCore View Post
Miller's Batman is hardly "mystical"
You seem to be hung up on that word, but I used plenty of others to describe what I meant. Of course, Miller's Batman wasn't Dr. Strange, but he was plenty mysterious and brooding, melancholy and frightening. Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruerToTheCore View Post
Bob Kane's original concept was Bird-Man. But I know what you mean and I disagree. There is no brooding in the early Batman stories.
However you want to slice it, the original Kane (or whoever) Batman was plenty brooding and dark. Just read that article I posted, I have no need to regurgitate and it's spelled out better than I could ever do it.

__________________
"I don't give a **** what you say. If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, 'Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations,' Well, **** you. Because I don't play for your ******* approval. I play for my own love and enjoyment of the game. And to win. That's what I play for."
- Kobe Bryant

"As of right now, I don't know what he do good, cause what may work on another fighter is not gonna work on me."

- Floyd Mayweather
Doc Samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:08 PM   #213
TruerToTheCore
Banned User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Earth-1
Posts: 2,936
Default Re: Christian Bale v.s. Michael Keaton - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Samson View Post
You seem to be hung up on that word, but I used plenty of others to describe what I meant. Of course, Miller's Batman wasn't Dr. Strange, but he was plenty mysterious and brooding, melancholy and frightening. Please...
Frank Miller's Batman is an ice-cold psychopath. He is also not mysterious. He drives around in a big ****ing tank.

Quote:
However you want to slice it, the original Kane (or whoever) Batman was plenty brooding and dark. Just read that article I posted, I have no need to regurgitate and it's spelled out better than I could ever do it.
He was dark. He also killed people like most heroes did in the early Golden Age. But he was not brooding. Personality-wise he was more of a careless swashbuckler and later some sort of nice uncle super-cop father figure (uh!).

The whole thing of his parents being murdered was mostly an afterthought and hardly referenced up until the 70s when they made Batman more tragic (mostly a Denny O'Neil thing, the other major writers of these times, Reed, Robbins, Haney didn't really do that).


TruerToTheCore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:07 PM   #214
GothamAlleys
Side-Kick
 
GothamAlleys's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,700
Default Re: Christian Bale v.s. Michael Keaton - Part 2

Thanks for the praise on the article guys, much appreciated! Batman in the beginning had ghostly presence and was quite dark and mysterious, but Truer is actually right about the brooding part, that came later, it wasnt there from the beginning, unless we would count the scene of Bruce sitting alone in the room contemplating in his origin stories. Kind of reminds me of sitting and contemplating Bruce in Returns when the signal turns on

__________________
GothamAlleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:11 PM   #215
Doc Samson
Superhero Psychiatrist
 
Doc Samson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: GammaBase
Posts: 4,233
Default Re: Christian Bale v.s. Michael Keaton - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruerToTheCore View Post
Frank Miller's Batman is an ice-cold psychopath. He is also not mysterious. He drives around in a big ****ing tank.
Well, yeah, in DKR, which is a futuristic dystopian setting that called for that type of weaponry. In Year One though, Batman didn't even have a vehicle yet, so I can't agree with such a blanket statement. He was plenty mysterious in Year One, naturally, as he's fresh on the scene. The way he announces himself to the mob goons, some of the methods he employs to study the criminal element, it's all in there, even when he's making rookie mistakes. Furthermore, one of the coolest elements in BB is pulled right from Year One, with the bats engulfing him to conceal his escape, along with the general nature of how Miller showed him dispatching the SWAT team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruerToTheCore View Post
He was dark. He also killed people like most heroes did in the early Golden Age. But he was not brooding. Personality-wise he was more of a careless swashbuckler and later some sort of nice uncle super-cop father figure (uh!).

The whole thing of his parents being murdered was mostly an afterthought and hardly referenced up until the 70s when they made Batman more tragic (mostly a Denny O'Neil thing, the other major writers of these times, Reed, Robbins, Haney didn't really do that).
Well he certainly didn't do a whole lot of talking in costume. Most comics of that time period were more adventurous with less emphasis on deep psychological character study. The dialogue, the plot, everything was a simpler time. But he definitely wasn't Adam West running around with Bat-repellent, not initially. Not even close.

__________________
"I don't give a **** what you say. If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, 'Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations,' Well, **** you. Because I don't play for your ******* approval. I play for my own love and enjoyment of the game. And to win. That's what I play for."
- Kobe Bryant

"As of right now, I don't know what he do good, cause what may work on another fighter is not gonna work on me."

- Floyd Mayweather

Last edited by Doc Samson; 09-27-2012 at 09:14 PM.
Doc Samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:51 AM   #216
TruerToTheCore
Banned User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Earth-1
Posts: 2,936
Default Re: Christian Bale v.s. Michael Keaton - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Samson View Post
Well, yeah, in DKR, which is a futuristic dystopian setting that called for that type of weaponry. In Year One though, Batman didn't even have a vehicle yet, so I can't agree with such a blanket statement. He was plenty mysterious in Year One, naturally, as he's fresh on the scene. The way he announces himself to the mob goons, some of the methods he employs to study the criminal element, it's all in there, even when he's making rookie mistakes. Furthermore, one of the coolest elements in BB is pulled right from Year One, with the bats engulfing him to conceal his escape, along with the general nature of how Miller showed him dispatching the SWAT team.
I usually forget "Year One" when I think of Miller's Batman, I admit, but that's also because DKR is the influential one hardly anyone really followed "Year One", in fact they were contradicting and expanding it (by changing some of its meaning, nonetheless) as soon as it came out.

But yes, scenes like that are in "Year One". Yet Batman is never really portrayed as some sort of supernatural thing, everyone is sure that he's just skilled guy in a costume.

Quote:
Well he certainly didn't do a whole lot of talking in costume. Most comics of that time period were more adventurous with less emphasis on deep psychological character study. The dialogue, the plot, everything was a simpler time. But he definitely wasn't Adam West running around with Bat-repellent, not initially. Not even close.
This has nothing to do with "brooding". Fact is, that came way later so to say that the "original Batman" is like that is wrong.

TruerToTheCore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:09 AM   #217
rickhbz
New User - Level 0
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 1
Default Christian Bale v s Michael Keaton Part 2

Hello everyone,
I was on holliday in Portugal when I heard the news. First I heard he had an attack and the next morning that he died. Its unbelievable he is gone, because he was that huge. But with his health and everything it didnt surprised me. It is really sad and Iam hoping he will find the peace and quiet he needed so much. My thought are with the family and friends and especially his little children.

rickhbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:36 AM   #218
Ponyboy
I'm the real Peterman.
 
Ponyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Wellington, NZ
Posts: 3,001
Default Re: Christian Bale v.s. Michael Keaton - Part 2

^^


__________________

Ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:35 AM   #219
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys
 
terry78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 60,281
Default Re: Christian Bale v.s. Michael Keaton - Part 2

I'm hoping this is not one of those "I'm from the future" deals.

__________________
The only thing funnier than watching stupid people argue is watching smart people argue.
-----------
Who the **** makes a movie and while planning it is like, "you know what this needs...is some Greg Kinnear."
terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:53 PM   #220
Dr.HugoStrange
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 192
Default Re: Christian Bale v.s. Michael Keaton - Part 2


my vote's for michael

Dr.HugoStrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:57 PM   #221
TheGuy
Side-Kick
 
TheGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 673
Default Re: Christian Bale v.s. Michael Keaton - Part 2

1. Keaton B89
2. Bale TDKR
3. Bale BB
4. Keaton BR
5. Bale TDK

TheGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:41 AM   #222
Filmboy
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 396
Default Re: Christian Bale v.s. Michael Keaton - Part 2

I really prefer Michael Keaton as Batman over Christian Bale.

Christian Bale is too pretty to play Bruce Wayne/Batman. And I really don't like his low gruffy, husky batman voice.

Filmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:19 PM   #223
Brother Jack
Onion Knight
 
Brother Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: The Future
Posts: 6,154
Default Re: Christian Bale v.s. Michael Keaton - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmboy View Post
I really prefer Michael Keaton as Batman over Christian Bale.

Christian Bale is too pretty to play Bruce Wayne/Batman. And I really don't like his low gruffy, husky batman voice.
That's something I never thought I'd read.

__________________
O Captain! My Captain! Rise up and hear the bells.
Rise up, for you the flag is flung, for you the bugle trills.
For you bouquets and ribbon'd wreaths, for you the shores a-crowding.
For you they call, the swaying mass, their eager faces turning.
Brother Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:42 PM   #224
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest
 
BH/HHH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Leeds
Posts: 14,839
Default Re: Christian Bale v.s. Michael Keaton - Part 2

Bake was perfect for the role in my opinion however, Michael Keaton was perfect for the version of Batman in his world. I guess I'd go with Bale overall as he to me looks like he stepped from the comic and physically was a better match for the part.

__________________
MAN OF STEEL


THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:13 PM   #225
Batman999
Newbie First Class
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 17
Default Re: Christian Bale v.s. Michael Keaton - Part 2

Oh what a fantastic thread!!

i honestly can't decide. both amazing. i can't put an inch between them.

Batman999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:48 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.