The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Marvel's The Avengers

Old 05-06-2012, 06:42 AM   #151
SuperSoldier985
That's Funny

Default Re: The Official Maria Hill/Cobie Smulders Thread

She had the perfect blend of that strong, military tomboy and the soft, considerate, and emotional woman. Even though she had a small role, they managed to give her a lot to do and didn't feel wasted. In the hands of any other writer/director, they probably would've dramatically shortchanged a character like Hill to more of a glorified cameo..

SuperSoldier985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:34 PM   #152
Raiden
Say hello 2 my lil friend

Found this article, and I think it's a perfect opportunity to bump this thread as well:

‘Avengers’: Cobie Smulders gung-ho for stunts, up for sequel duty

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:45 PM   #153
Punisher Rising
Mechanical Psychopath

Nice interview. Cobie seems very nice and down to Earth, and she seems eager to reprise Hill. I definitely want to see her in more movies and hopefully she'll get a nicely expanded role in the next set of Marvel movies.

...I am now authorized to use physical force!
Punisher Rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:58 AM   #154
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

I'm so glad that Joss didn't make Cobie Smulders version of "Hill" like her comic book counterpart "The ***** you love to hate" . Hill was just Fury's lieutenant in the film and while she didn't always agree with fury's decisions . She was more loyal to him and followed his orders to the letter.

The Caped Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:10 PM   #155
Raiden
Say hello 2 my lil friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Caped Knight View Post
I'm so glad that Joss didn't make Cobie Smulders version of "Hill" like her comic book counterpart "The ***** you love to hate" . Hill was just Fury's lieutenant in the film and while she didn't always agree with fury's decisions . She was more loyal to him and followed his orders to the letter.
Fury did allured to Hill that he believes she was brought in by the Council to keep a tab on him (if my memory serves me correctly), but when the Council was trying to wrestle the authority away from him, Hill did not tried to cause a mutiny. I think ultimately, she is faithful to Fury and not to the Council.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:17 PM   #156
fixxxer1022
Side-Kick

cobie was really smoking in this flick.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:03 PM   #157
Mars452
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxxer1022 View Post
cobie was really smoking in this flick.
This is Cobie Smulders, we're talking about. When is she not smoking?

I would be very happy if they didn't write MCU Maria Hill 100% to her comics version, because the comics Maria Hill is a one-dimensional [w]itch. There are ways to write a character as being antagonistic to the heroes while being on the same side, without making her one-dimensional. All you need is, well, some actually competent writers.

Last edited by Mars452; 05-09-2012 at 02:08 PM.
Mars452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:37 PM   #158
Pink Ranger
We Are Hunter Rider

I can definitely see the MCU Hill becoming more like her comic counterpart, however. So far, she's portrayed as a loyal, efficient and professional agent of SHIELD with clear leadership abilities. Let's say Fury gets killed, either falsely or for real, in a future movie. It wouldn't take much for the efficiency and professionalism of Hill to turn into militarism, inflexibility and authoritarianism.

Avengers 3: Civil War? Ha ha, no, but interesting to think about.

Notice to all Hype members: Put down your phone and/or game controller right now and pick up a copy of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. A must-read for anybody who visits this website.
Pink Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:10 PM   #159
ktulutu
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher Rising View Post
Nice interview. Cobie seems very nice and down to Earth, and she seems eager to reprise Hill. I definitely want to see her in more movies and hopefully she'll get a nicely expanded role in the next set of Marvel movies.
I don't, she was so wooden that she took me out of the movie everytime she spoke. Plus her jaw line is more square than Caps.

ktulutu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:51 AM   #160
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

I like the comic's Maria Hill. She holds her own

Hawkingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:27 AM   #161
zentype
Newbie First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars452 View Post
I would be very happy if they didn't write MCU Maria Hill 100% to her comics version, because the comics Maria Hill is a one-dimensional [w]itch. There are ways to write a character as being antagonistic to the heroes while being on the same side, without making her one-dimensional.
I agree. She was portrayed as reliable, competent but less hard-edged like her comic counterpart. While I can see her being firm, I think her portrayal will show this being a much more empathetic Hill than the one we see in Civil War.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Ranger View Post
I can definitely see the MCU Hill becoming more like her comic counterpart, however. So far, she's portrayed as a loyal, efficient and professional agent of SHIELD with clear leadership abilities. Let's say Fury gets killed, either falsely or for real, in a future movie. It wouldn't take much for the efficiency and professionalism of Hill to turn into militarism, inflexibility and authoritarianism.
I have no doubt she can turn into this --especially in the scenarios you've mentioned. However, I expect to see Joss/Cobie adding an element of empathy and quiet resignation to her actions --as opposed to the just pissed off at being forced to do something Hill (like say capture Cap in CW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktulutu View Post
I don't, she was so wooden that she took me out of the movie everytime she spoke. Plus her jaw line is more square than Caps.
Your second statement leads me to believe you are already biased against her to begin with based off of her looks. Her character doesn't say much and in the military you are supposed to be reserved. Would you expect her to be running around dramatically yelling and mewling (see what I did there?) There's only so much you can do with the relatively small role she was given.

zentype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:32 AM   #162
The Guard
Side-Kick

Its hard to imagine not liking the comic book Hill over the film's, who wasn't really much of anything.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:33 AM   #163
Godzilla2000
Undisputed Kaiju Queen

In an official capacity I really liked the character of Maria Hill. Cobie Smulders portrayed a tough, efficient, strong willed female character well.

- All I ask for is all that I already have.

- I bear no responsibility towards those who are the architects of their own problems. This is exactly what they've asked their willingly chosen slave drivers for...drama. So leave me out of it.
Godzilla2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:30 AM   #164
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

After watching that deleted Avengers opening scene where Cobie's acting isn't the greatest, I'm wondering why Joss Whedon decided to cast her in the role of Maria Hill. I think Morena Bacarin would've been a better fit both in terms of physical appearance and acting as well.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:53 AM   #165
Pink Ranger
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
After watching that deleted Avengers opening scene where Cobie's acting isn't the greatest, I'm wondering why Joss Whedon decided to cast her in the role of Maria Hill. I think Morena Bacarin would've been a better fit both in terms of physical appearance and acting as well.
Morena's too petite and small-framed I think. I don't know if I could buy Morena being a member of the armed forces, unless she really wanted to bulk up for that role.

Notice to all Hype members: Put down your phone and/or game controller right now and pick up a copy of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. A must-read for anybody who visits this website.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:26 PM   #166
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:

Whatever Whedon's reasons for choosing Smulders, I think he ought to seriously consider recasting the role or cutting it down even further in the sequel. There are plenty of other SHIELD agents they could use in Hill's place. All they have to do is cast someone who can match the rest of the cast in terms of talent, which Smulders sadly could not manage.

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:30 AM   #167
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
Whatever Whedon's reasons for choosing Smulders, I think he ought to seriously consider recasting the role or cutting it down even further in the sequel. There are plenty of other SHIELD agents they could use in Hill's place. All they have to do is cast someone who can match the rest of the cast in terms of talent, which Smulders sadly could not manage.
I agree that there are MANY actresses that could appropriately fill the shoes of Maria Hill. But I have no severe or immediate problems with Cobie Smulders for the role. She may not steal the show, but comparing her comedic roles with this one kinda displays that she has some talent (perhaps not a lot of talent). In fact I wouldn't want Hill stealing the show. I don't like Hill.

Better still, I don't think recasting her would be better than having her around. Feel free to cut it down though. No complaints there.

Old 09-06-2012, 05:14 AM   #168
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Joss obviously liked her as he was previously going to cast her as Wonder Woman in his aborted movie. But he's also worked with other actresses too, and he didn't necessarily have to go with one he previously used.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:52 AM   #169
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
I agree that there are MANY actresses that could appropriately fill the shoes of Maria Hill. But I have no severe or immediate problems with Cobie Smulders for the role. She may not steal the show, but comparing her comedic roles with this one kinda displays that she has some talent (perhaps not a lot of talent). In fact I wouldn't want Hill stealing the show. I don't like Hill.

Better still, I don't think recasting her would be better than having her around. Feel free to cut it down though. No complaints there.

I don't like Hill, either. She's like a female Henry Peter Gyrich, only less likable. You have a point in that keeping Smulders in the role could limit what Whedon does with the character. TBH, when I heard before the movie came out that they had dumped the "female SHIELD agent intro" -- I think Jordanstine said it here first -- I assumed that Smulders' lousy acting was the reason. Pacing played a part, too, but her delivery of her lines was terrible. Her weaknesses as an actor could well cause him to decide that Hill isn't as useful a foil for Fury and the Avengers as originally thought.

I guess I should be glad they got an actress who couldn't carry off the role. Even the scenes they left of Hill were rather poorly acted, though they were necessary and couldn't be cut. From the trailers, it looked like Hill had some more scenes, particularly with Coulson, that hit the cutting room floor. While I would have enjoyed more of Coulson's snark, less of Hill was a good thing.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:34 AM   #170
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Although she doesn't look anything like Maria Hill of course, (and I'm not suggesting her for the role) Cobie's co-star Alison Hannigan is a better actress than her.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:16 PM   #171
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Although she doesn't look anything like Maria Hill of course, (and I'm not suggesting her for the role) Cobie's co-star Alison Hannigan is a better actress than her.

Hannigan is terrific. I wish she were playing Darcy, then that character wouldn't be grating.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:26 PM   #172
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
Hannigan is terrific. I wish she were playing Darcy, then that character wouldn't be grating.
She probably could've played Wasp too. She'd have the skills and personality for that. Alison looks great too with dark hair.

And here's one of her with short hair:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

I personally prefer her to Cobie anyway. She's a much better all-round girl whereas Cobie is more just in the looks department.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:47 AM   #173
Pink Ranger
We Are Hunter Rider

Congrats to Cobie on getting hitched this weekend!

'Mother' star Cobie Smulders marries Taran Killam
http://tvnz.co.nz/entertainment-news...killam-5072620

They're actually a pretty good-looking couple together. I wish them all the best. Taran is an undiscovered comedic treasure right now on SNL, I can tell.

Old 10-06-2012, 09:30 PM   #174
Havok83
Side-Kick

wow, Im kinda late. Just found out a few days ago that she's the girl from How I Met Your Mother

Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:44 AM   #175
PyroChamber
W.B.B.S.

Anyone else find the irony in the deleted scene where she tells Fury "pretty soon I'll have your job"?

Quote:
Sometimes, it's so easy, I'm ashamed of myself.
PyroChamber is offline   Reply With Quote