The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The First Avenger

View Poll Results: How will Captain America do at the World Wide Box Office?
$100-$199 million 8 5.06%
$200-$299 million 25 15.82%
$300-$399 million 41 25.95%
$400-$499 million 46 29.11%
$500-$599 million 22 13.92%
$600-$699 million 6 3.80%
$700-$799 million 3 1.90%
$800-$899 million 0 0%
$900-$999 million 1 0.63%
1 billion + 6 3.80%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 02:23 PM   #51
Hurm...
GreenGoblin1964(2006)

Default Re: The Official Captain America Box Office Thread! - Part 1

Cap! Shut up and take my money!!

BRRRRRRMMMMMMM

Old 07-25-2011, 02:24 PM   #52
ultimatefan
The Batman must come back

Quote:
Originally Posted by KangConquers View Post
Here's another thing people forget about. Your whole country doesn't have to go see it for it to be a hit; Brazil has a population of about 200 Million people, and Thor did $17 M there; I don't know how much ticket prices are in Brazil relative to the USD, but I think it's safe to say that no more than 2% of Brazil's population saw Thor.

So Cap doesn't need to win over everyone...he just needs to win over 1-3 in 100 people to be a success. When you look at it that way, Cap hitting a high WW total isn't impossible, given this is a character that has sold comic books in several countries.

So 98% of people can still have their "**** america" reaction, and this film can still be a success.
Yeah, itīs a very small amount of the overall population, and the movie was still very successful for our standards.

Anyway, letīs not turn this into a "why the world hates America" argument. Thatīs a complicated and delicate political debate and this is not the place for this.

I agree that it might be more of an issue of people not feeling all that motivated to see a movie whose character is so directly associated with American patriotism. But, like I said, if people think the movieīs good, theyīll see it. Steve Rogers has a compelling story of an underdog, skinny kid turned hero, and thatīs a story people all over the world can relate to and enjoy.

Cap also has some advantages. Kids are out of school now, and competition next weekend looks weak. Cowboys And Aliens could be cool, but itīs not based on a well-known property and the premise may be a little tough to swallow. Smurfs is more of a kids movie, and frankly it looks awful.

"Sometimes, people deserve more. Sometimes, they deserve to have their faith rewarded." So, thank you for rewarding mine, Mr. Nolan.

This article should be mandatory reading before people argue about movies on the internet:
http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-common...-always-wrong/.

Last edited by ultimatefan; 07-25-2011 at 02:29 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:43 PM   #53
Flemm
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post
Ditto. It seems like win/win for both, too, because as Box Office Mojo noted, Cap had higher attendance than Thor. So Thor can claim the opening weekend box office crown, and Cap can claim the opening weekend attendance crown - either way, Marvel Studios wins this superhero summer.
Agreed. Cap and Thor are literally on the same team, so it's win/win. Personally, I'd like to see Cap overtake Thor domestically (it seems only fitting), with Thor retaining the worldwide crown for superheroes this summer. But regardless of the details, Marvel studios and its fans are the winners here. Avengers is set up beautifully. Now that movie has to raise the bar. No pressure, Whedon, no pressure

Last edited by Flemm; 07-25-2011 at 02:46 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:43 PM   #54
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post
Ditto. It seems like win/win for both, too, because as Box Office Mojo noted, Cap had higher attendance than Thor. So Thor can claim the opening weekend box office crown, and Cap can claim the opening weekend attendance crown - either way, Marvel Studios wins this superhero summer.

I hope Cap does well overseas. I really want my Cap sequel sooner rather than later.
This

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
Old 07-25-2011, 02:47 PM   #55
04nbod
I need to debrief you

Default Re: Captain America worldwide boxoffice speculation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCraig View Post
Whatever Mr. I Hate America
The world and it's America haters can't have it both ways.
We get proactive and preemptive and that's suddenly wrong also.
Next 2-bit dictator wants to start crap somewhere I say let it be. I'm over trying to please the haters.
Are we really going to get into an argument about a 70 year old conflict?

Lets just put this simply. When the entire world wages war and you step out despite overwhelming evidence of human rights abuses and a nation invading other nations (like Poland) its a bad thing. When you strut into another country without proper evidence and start a war likes its an old west bar fight its a bad thing. No nation is perfect, good lord I'm British and we've done some **** in years past but its not about national pride and its not as simple as 'do or do not'. I don't think anyone would complain if you invaded North Korea or Iran.

And that is Miss 'I don't care about America one way or the other as long as they give me comics, music and movies' to you sir.

Anyway. Good numbers for Cap.

Last edited by 04nbod; 07-25-2011 at 02:50 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:48 PM   #56
kedrell
Aacha,cha,cha&InkaDinkaDo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flemm View Post
Agreed. Cap and Thor are literally on the same team, so it's win/win. Personally, I'd like to see Cap overtake Thor domestically (it seems only fitting), with Thor retaining the worldwide crown for superheroes this summer. But regardless of the details, Marvel studios and its fans are the winners here. Avengers is set up beautifully. Now that movie has to raise the bar. No pressure, Whedon, no pressure

It probably will. It's behind by so little and it has summer weekdays as an advantage.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:50 PM   #57
JeetKuneDo
Guitarist

As a person who has traveled to Europe more than a few times, I can testify that Europeans don't hate Americans. They hate "Presidents, Congress, politicians"...but they treat Americans very well. My band was met at a German airport by some friends with a giant Texas flag. Being a musician from "America" means you are treated like star even though we aren't any different than a German musician. There was also a restaurant in Hamburg that specialized in American food and had a big Statue of Liberty mural painted on the outside.

And just about every European I've spoken too has taken a trip to the US for a vacation at least once.

The question might be if Cap is placed in the same category as Bush/Obama. I don't really think he is. I've posted it before, but I stumbled across this video a while back of this band called D.A.D. Their bass player apparently dresses up in funny outfits for every show. He chose Cap America for a show in Coppenhagen.
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 07-25-2011, 03:02 PM   #58
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

I can't believe people are still paranoid about this movie bombing.

It had double X-Men: First Class's opening weekend in Italy, and that movie went on to gross 200 M + Foreign.

I'd say 200 M domestic and 150-200 Million foreign is entirely possible. If that happens, expect Captain America 2 on May 2nd, 2014.

2015: Ant-Man
2016: Thor: Ragnarok, Doctor Strange
2017: Captain America: Secret Empire, Black Panther
2018: The Incredible Hulk: Rise of the Leader, Guardians of the Galaxy: War of Kings
2019: The Inhumans, Avengers: Thanos Imperative
Old 07-25-2011, 03:09 PM   #59
kedrell

I think it should definitely at least surpass XM:FC's WW total(which'll probably be around $350M). And Cap cost $20M less so I think a sequel will be coming in 2014.

Cap needs $280M WW to get in the black, I think.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:32 PM   #60
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

That number in italy is promising. The domestic number is solid and it's interesting that it sold more tickets than Thor but do to it not having as many people going to see it in 3D it came in with slightly lower numbers.

I just hope it has decent legs because well, I liked it. If it doesn't I won't be crying about it...too much.

The Lego Movie: 8.5/10-RoboCop 6.5/10-Captain America: The Winter Soldier 9.5/10

I SUPPORT GIVING BATFLECK A CHANCE.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:43 PM   #61
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

People don't want to see ****** 3D conversions. More people saw Green Lantern in 2D than fake 3D.

I'm honestly a little disappointed with these numbers. I was hoping more for $70 million or more. I am putting some of the blame on Rotten Tomatoes for cooking the scores and the reviews that were being put out first.

I am putting some of the other blame on the marketing. The campaign started way too late, it didn't build enough. There needed to be more thunder on this campaign considering how competitive this summer was.

- CM Punk
Old 07-25-2011, 04:01 PM   #62
Marvin
Side-Kick

So Thor actually won after all.
go figure, there seems to always be funky early stats where cap's involved.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:15 PM   #63
Parker Wayne
IT Boy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
People don't want to see ****** 3D conversions. More people saw Green Lantern in 2D than fake 3D.

I'm honestly a little disappointed with these numbers. I was hoping more for $70 million or more. I am putting some of the blame on Rotten Tomatoes for cooking the scores and the reviews that were being put out first.

I am putting some of the other blame on the marketing. The campaign started way too late, it didn't build enough. There needed to be more thunder on this campaign considering how competitive this summer was.
I still say Harry Potter probably still took a chunk of those numbers. It's only 5 million short. There wasn't that much problem with the marketing.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:18 PM   #64
ciscostudent561
Side-Kick

Thor>>>>>

Old 07-25-2011, 04:29 PM   #65
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

There was a lot wrong with the marketing. It never felt like it really kicked it into high gear.

- CM Punk
Old 07-25-2011, 04:36 PM   #66
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
So Thor actually won after all.
go figure, there seems to always be funky early stats where cap's involved.
Alot of movies go down from estimates, it's not a big deal. And yes, Thor opened with slightly more but still sold 8% less tickets.

The Lego Movie: 8.5/10-RoboCop 6.5/10-Captain America: The Winter Soldier 9.5/10

Old 07-25-2011, 04:51 PM   #67
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
I think it should definitely at least surpass XM:FC's WW total(which'll probably be around $350M). And Cap cost $20M less so I think a sequel will be coming in 2014.

Cap needs $280M WW to get in the black, I think.
I'd say 400 m WW. THe studio gets half which is 200 m. 150 m of that goes toward the production budget and the other 50 m covers marketing.

180 m domestic and 220 m overseas should be enough to get us to 400 m worldwide.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:12 PM   #68
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
Alot of movies go down from estimates, it's not a big deal. And yes, Thor opened with slightly more but still sold 8% less tickets.
Potter went up if I remember correctly.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:16 PM   #69
Docker2.0
Watchin' you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
There was a lot wrong with the marketing. It never felt like it really kicked it into high gear.
Have to agree. There were commercials but not nearly like we saw with Thor. This reminds me of the Ironman/Hulk thing when they came out. Iron Man got all the press while we didn't see a Hulk trailer until a month before the movie actually came out. I'm glad Cap is doing well but they actually promoted Thor a lot more than they did Cap.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:23 PM   #70
Parker Wayne
IT Boy!

I saw a hell of a lot more than Thor.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:28 PM   #71
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
Potter went up if I remember correctly.
Potter's estimate was 48.1mil and it's actual is 47.4mil. In it's first weekend, it went up, which happens sometimes.

I know you are so-so on the movie but don't let that get in the way of the fact that nothing unusual happened to it at the boxoffice. Some movies are overestimated and some aren't, it's not a big deal.

It's numbers are pretty close to Thor's so that means like Thor, it had a decent opening but nothing special. Thor also went down from estimates. I knew the studio was overestimating it anyhow so not shocking to me.

And if Thor's marketing was so much better how come it only did .6 hundered thousand more than Cap? This isn't the same thing as Iron Man and Hulk because Cap actually sold more tickets in it's opening weekend.

I don't know what Cap is going to do over all as I don't know how much people liked it but I certainly hope it doesn't have s**tty legs.

And baring some Inception style legs it interesting to note that none of these comicbook movies have really, really broken out. And by broken out I mean like a 75+mil plus opening and a 250+mil close domestically.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:45 PM   #72
Marvin
Side-Kick

I see what you're saying, and I'm not implying any type of agenda, I was just informed the cap outdid thor(and it should have) in this very thread. Figured I'd set the record straight. And, yea, like with the RT situation, it seems you always have to give cap a few days to get the record straight.

I think releasing at the end of july is a hell of a lot safer than the end of june. Cap will out leg the june releases for sure. And unlike thor it doesn't have a slew of major "hits" following it for the coming months. Plus potter will be dropping pretty quick.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:56 PM   #73
Rock Sexton
Go get me a Juicebox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
I'd say 400 m WW. THe studio gets half which is 200 m. 150 m of that goes toward the production budget and the other 50 m covers marketing.

180 m domestic and 220 m overseas should be enough to get us to 400 m worldwide.
They don't get half ..... of the international BO they get roughly 12-13% which then goes towards paying marketing costs.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:13 PM   #74
kedrell

Cap could actually pull ahead of Thor today. It's behind by so little and had summer weekdays as an advantage.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:13 PM   #75
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

The estimates weren't that far off, it's not a huge deal. I expect that Cap will have a good hold next weekend, and under 50% drop. I'd say look for Cap to do slightly better than Thor's 2nd weekend with around 35-37M.

Closed Thread