The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Marvel's The Avengers

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2011, 10:10 AM   #1
Blackman
King Kong
 
Blackman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 13,178
Default Love Interests of The Avengers

I noticed, save for Tony (the lucky bastard) all the Avengers love stories ended on a downer

Thor got separated by dimensions from Jane
Banner has to stay away from Betty
and Cap is years away from Peggy

And their lack of love interest seem like they should be a big part of the next step of each character's story.

How do you think they should handle the 3 or 4 love stories

Blackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:19 AM   #2
Rock Sexton
Go get me a Juicebox!
 
Rock Sexton's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 7,946
Default Re: Love Interests of The Avengers

I think they should save the love stories for their individual sequels.

__________________
"I dominated like a rabid, horny gorilla." - Robert Down Jr. in EW's coverage of The Avengers
My Official "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" Review - http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=395
Rock Sexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:25 AM   #3
Visceral
Side-Kick
 
Visceral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,071
Default Re: Love Interests of The Avengers

orgies

__________________
'Cause I'm with you till the end of the line.'
Visceral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:54 AM   #4
Blackman
King Kong
 
Blackman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 13,178
Default Re: Love Interests of The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
I think they should save the love stories for their individual sequels.
But Im saying for a lot of them their love stories I thinkk are kinda important and cant really be ignored like THor's the whole reason he wanted to get back on Earth is to see Jane. NOw if there is trouble he'll put it to the side but Im still wondering how they'll deal with it

Blackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:59 AM   #5
acedrake
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: NY
Posts: 274
Default Re: Love Interests of The Avengers

I think a love story between Cap and Black widow would be interesting

acedrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:03 AM   #6
acedrake
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: NY
Posts: 274
Default Re: Love Interests of The Avengers

Sides all the other heroes can be or kiss their respective love interest from their own movies except cap, unless Peggy is still alive and in her nineties

acedrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:18 AM   #7
Rock Sexton
Go get me a Juicebox!
 
Rock Sexton's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 7,946
Default Re: Love Interests of The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visceral View Post
orgies
Hahaha ....

__________________
"I dominated like a rabid, horny gorilla." - Robert Down Jr. in EW's coverage of The Avengers
My Official "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" Review - http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=395
Rock Sexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:20 AM   #8
Rock Sexton
Go get me a Juicebox!
 
Rock Sexton's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 7,946
Default Re: Love Interests of The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackman View Post
But Im saying for a lot of them their love stories I thinkk are kinda important and cant really be ignored like THor's the whole reason he wanted to get back on Earth is to see Jane. NOw if there is trouble he'll put it to the side but Im still wondering how they'll deal with it
Seriously, do you expect this to be a 4 hour movie? There's not enough time for it. It's more important to focus on how to get Thor back on Earth. Get Cap integrated into present time. Team building exercise when they snatch up the Hulk. Take on Loki and the worldwide threat.

I figure any love angle will mostly reside in Widow/Hawkeye ..... potentially with Cap/Peggy.

__________________
"I dominated like a rabid, horny gorilla." - Robert Down Jr. in EW's coverage of The Avengers
My Official "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" Review - http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=395
Rock Sexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:22 AM   #9
Blackman
King Kong
 
Blackman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 13,178
Default Re: Love Interests of The Avengers

Did I say anything about a 4 hour movie?
I didnt even say how they should handle it? I was asking how they do it. Brief mention, minor role, cameo, etc.

Blackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:29 PM   #10
Prison Mike
Hype Award Winner
 
Prison Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Clink
Posts: 38,177
Default Re: Love Interests of The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
I think they should save the love stories for their individual sequels.
I agree. As for Thor, a mention of Jane in passing would suffice. But with so many characters in the Avengers already, I think they should save the love interests for the sequels.

__________________
Michael Scott: You don't call retarded people retards. It's bad taste. You call your friends retards when they're acting retarded.
Prison Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:29 PM   #11
Raiden
The Captain
 
Raiden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 24,375
Default Re: Love Interests of The Avengers

I think brief mentions are fine (and probably required for Thor once he returns to Earth), but probably not a good idea to set up scenes just for the love interests. Let each Avengers deal with it in their respective movies instead.

__________________
Steve Rogers: "You're my friend"
Winter Soldier: "You're my mission"
Steve Rogers: "Then finish it, because I'm with you 'til the end of the line"
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:07 PM   #12
Kirmit
Big Green Machine.
 
Kirmit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 2,957
Default Re: Love Interests of The Avengers

To be honest I'm tired of the love stories in comicbook movies, I think they should take a break from it and focus on other areas of the heroes personality or do what TDK did and get rid of the love interest halfway through the film.

__________________
Puny Human.
Kirmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:51 PM   #13
sgaana
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 263
Default Re: Love Interests of The Avengers

It would seem weird, in Thor's case, if there is no mention of Jane at all in the film, IMO.

I can believe that once he's gotten back to Earth, he is completely absorbed in dealing with some crisis that prevents him for the rest of the movie from having a reunion with her. (Particularly, if it's a "save the world" or "save reality" kind of crisis, he would have to deal with it, because by extension he is saving Jane and the other friends he made during his movie.) But if that's how the movie turns out, then the last we see of Thor at the end should contain at least a statement of his intent to go keep his promise to Jane. Otherwise, it would just undercut the ending of his film.

But if that's all they do, I'd be satisfied.

sgaana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:58 PM   #14
NickNitro
Extra Terrestrial
 
NickNitro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Second Star to the Right
Posts: 8,064
Default Re: Love Interests of The Avengers

Love stories aside,

How long do we see The Avengers being? I can see a movie close to 2 1/2 - 3 hours not being too far fetched. The Origins movies were 2 hours or a little more and there is a ton more story I feel in The Avengers that needs to be addressed and resolved if not partially resolved.

NickNitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:02 PM   #15
Donut
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 12,707
Default Re: Love Interests of The Avengers

It would be nice if Jane had some kind of cameo. Like if Jane is not around when Thor returns the first thing he does is find out where she is & flies off to see her & just let her know that he is back & to explain what happened

Donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:06 PM   #16
04nbod
I need to debrief you
 
04nbod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: birkenhead, uk ahh...the chavs are attacking
Posts: 10,380
Default Re: Love Interests of The Avengers

Jane must be the one to bring Thor back. Thor ends on such a wonderfully feminist note. That smile just said that he knows she will find him. He trusts in her and her cleverness. He's the damsel in distress and the beautiful girl will jump start that rainbow to save him. (I feel I need to end that sentence with ...on a unicorn )

All it needs is one scene of Jane bringing him back and having a brief reunion. One kiss/cuddle before he has to go and help the Avengers.

__________________
WHAT WOULD DARTH VADER DO?
04nbod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:08 PM   #17
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite
 
Ultimatehero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,473
Default Re: Love Interests of The Avengers

In ULTIMATE AVENGERS - Betty was working alongside Bruce, that seems to fit. They could easily work towards that.

THOR - after the last movie ending really revolved around Thor trying to find his way back to Jane, it would just seem awkward if that's entirely left out.

IRON MAN - Pepper Potts now runs his company, if Tony swings by it'd be odd if she wasn't running things.

I don't know, personally I really hope they keep the universes from their own perspective films. There doesn't need to be a lot of depth to it. Just, like in the comics, if they go to that area of their life - it would be awesome seeing the WHOLE universe in it's entirety.

Ultimatehero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:09 PM   #18
04nbod
I need to debrief you
 
04nbod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: birkenhead, uk ahh...the chavs are attacking
Posts: 10,380
Default Re: Love Interests of The Avengers

Pepper quit her job at the end of Iron Man 2

__________________
WHAT WOULD DARTH VADER DO?
04nbod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:11 PM   #19
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite
 
Ultimatehero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,473
Default Re: Love Interests of The Avengers

/\ Forgot that part lol, but still basically saying - it'd be awesome seeing characters from previous films beyond just the core crew. Just shows the universe functioning as a whole rather than seperate entities. Wouldn't be that hard, just instead of random characters being introduced - use the ones already in play.

Ultimatehero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:40 PM   #20
Doc Samson
Superhero Psychiatrist
 
Doc Samson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: GammaBase
Posts: 4,110
Default Re: Love Interests of The Avengers

I would hope, for just once, we can escape from the obligatory love interests and perhaps, our heroes decide to save the world because it's the heroic thing to do.

__________________
"Sometimes I do shoot too much. It's not because I see you open and don't want to pass. I don't see you at all."
-
Kobe Bryant

"As of right now, I don't know what he do good, cause what may work on another fighter is not gonna work on me."

- Floyd Mayweather


"
White people give him the same compliments: 'He speaks so well! 'He speaks so well' is not a compliment, okay? 'He speaks so well' is some **** you say about retarded people that can talk."
-
Chris Rock
Doc Samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:43 PM   #21
Rock Sexton
Go get me a Juicebox!
 
Rock Sexton's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 7,946
Default Re: Love Interests of The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Samson View Post
I would hope, for just once, we can escape from the obligatory love interests and perhaps, our heroes decide to save the world because it's the heroic thing to do.
That's what I am saying ..... plus it would get redundant to have all the love lives in this movie. It would be like watching some rom com ensemble or something.

__________________
"I dominated like a rabid, horny gorilla." - Robert Down Jr. in EW's coverage of The Avengers
My Official "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" Review - http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=395
Rock Sexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:46 PM   #22
Blackman
King Kong
 
Blackman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 13,178
Default Re: Love Interests of The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Samson View Post
I would hope, for just once, we can escape from the obligatory love interests and perhaps, our heroes decide to save the world because it's the heroic thing to do.
Isnt that why theyve been doing it. At least in the Marvel Cinematic Universe I dont think any of them decided to save the world because of their love interests

Blackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:47 PM   #23
Doc Samson
Superhero Psychiatrist
 
Doc Samson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: GammaBase
Posts: 4,110
Default Re: Love Interests of The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
That's what I am saying ..... plus it would get redundant to have all the love lives in this movie. It would be like watching some rom com ensemble or something.
This is the perfect film to break away from all sorts of comic movie conventions and do innovative things, I think this is just one of them. Besides, if the threat is big enough to cause all these individuals to unite, what sort of time would they really have for that?

__________________
"Sometimes I do shoot too much. It's not because I see you open and don't want to pass. I don't see you at all."
-
Kobe Bryant

"As of right now, I don't know what he do good, cause what may work on another fighter is not gonna work on me."

- Floyd Mayweather


"
White people give him the same compliments: 'He speaks so well! 'He speaks so well' is not a compliment, okay? 'He speaks so well' is some **** you say about retarded people that can talk."
-
Chris Rock
Doc Samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:59 PM   #24
Khemik@L
MARVEL RULES THE SUMMER!!
 
Khemik@L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Saint Vincent and the Grenadines (Caribbean)
Posts: 1,061
Default Re: Love Interests of The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackman View Post
But Im saying for a lot of them their love stories I thinkk are kinda important and cant really be ignored like THor's the whole reason he wanted to get back on Earth is to see Jane. NOw if there is trouble he'll put it to the side but Im still wondering how they'll deal with it
They can have Thor say something like. "When we're finish here I must go and see my love" OR at the end of the movie have someone ask. "So Big guy your going back to your realm now? What is it called...yea Asgard?" and have Thor reply. "No My friend. Now that I know Midgard is safe I must find my Jane"

The Logic being that it makes no sense for him to rush to rekindle his love if he knows the entire earth is danger. And it works within his character to since he sacrificed seeing Jane by destroying the Bifrost. So I can see him putting off seeing Jane for a lil bit till he help saves the earth

__________________
WHAT IS TRUE POWER? IS IT NOT SELF-CONTROL?

FOR IF THE WAY YOUR POWER IS USED IS DICTATED TO YOU BY YOUR SELFISH EMOTIONS ARE YOU NOT A SPECTATOR? BUT IF YOU DICTATE YOUR INTENDED ACTIONS TO YOUR SELFISH EMOTIONS ARE YOU NOT THE ENFORCER?

Last edited by Khemik@L; 07-25-2011 at 04:04 PM.
Khemik@L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 04:14 PM   #25
Doc Samson
Superhero Psychiatrist
 
Doc Samson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: GammaBase
Posts: 4,110
Wall Re: Love Interests of The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackman View Post
Isnt that why theyve been doing it. At least in the Marvel Cinematic Universe I dont think any of them decided to save the world because of their love interests
It's almost never entirely about saving the world (or whatever part of the world they presently happen to be at), the woman is always involved too...

Tony Stark, while obviously trying to stop Stane, was also racing to save Potts. In the sequel, he basically does the same thing, this time more literally.

Banner, of course, wanted to stop Blonsky, but he also had to save Betty in the process. Thor, who only met this earth bound woman for a total of like 48 hours, wound up having to save her from the Destroyer, but at least he had to leave to take care of some other business. But this only because he's from another world altogether, lol, in essence having to save two.

Cap at least had a love interest who could fight, but in almost every other situation, they find some way to shoehorn the woman into direct danger for the climax. Which was my point, it's almost never just strictly about saving the world, it's also racing across town to make sure one particular woman is ok. Every. Single. Movie.

__________________
"Sometimes I do shoot too much. It's not because I see you open and don't want to pass. I don't see you at all."
-
Kobe Bryant

"As of right now, I don't know what he do good, cause what may work on another fighter is not gonna work on me."

- Floyd Mayweather


"
White people give him the same compliments: 'He speaks so well! 'He speaks so well' is not a compliment, okay? 'He speaks so well' is some **** you say about retarded people that can talk."
-
Chris Rock

Last edited by Doc Samson; 07-25-2011 at 04:17 PM.
Doc Samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:37 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.