The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The First Avenger

Old 07-31-2011, 11:51 PM   #226
DyeLorean
Cinemaphonic Quadrovision

Default Re: The Official Captain America: The First Avenger Review Thread! - Part 1

How are they gonna handle sequels set in the past (or via flashbacks)?. Was there a gap of things left to tell in between that I missed or something?

DyeLorean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:32 AM   #227
Marvel
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Official Captain America: The First Avenger Review Thread! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyegoh View Post
How are they gonna handle sequels set in the past (or via flashbacks)?. Was there a gap of things left to tell in between that I missed or something?
That's why I like those action montages some have critiqued. They forward the story in an exciting and stylized manner but leave the window open for other adventures to have occurred during that time. Once Colonel Phillips lets Steve build his own team and "wipe Hydra off the map" time passes as they wipe out base after base. Some of those adventures would be cool to see in the future.

Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:37 AM   #228
WildcatNC
I'm on a BOAT ***** !

Saw it for the fifth time again tonight and it was still enjoyable. Cap has good repeat value.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:02 AM   #229
Kurosawa
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
Awesome. Now I feel even better about loving it so much and so glad my early reactions were massively incorrect.

Kurosawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 02:04 AM   #230
webhead921
Side-Kick

To all those who complain about swastikas: Johann Schmidt had one on his hat in the beginning of the movie. It was part of the narrative.

I'm Commander Shepard, and Jade Empire is my favorite Bioware game on the Citadel.
webhead921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:48 AM   #231
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
Why would you want Steve to ''move on''? That makes for a boring story. Him carrying Peggy around with him in his thoughts is 20 times more compelling. Gives him an inner struggle to develop his man out of time element.
Something that's been playing on my mind is that I cannot see how there's going to be much time in Avengers for there to be much exploration of Rogers adjusting to the present day. Even the ends credit sequence came across like it might be glossed over. It makes me wonder if they could have incorporated that adjustment phase within this film by maybe having the movie cut between the past and the present, it would be a completely different movie but would potentially be far more compelling and tragic IMO.

jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:44 AM   #232
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyegoh View Post
You forget the fact that the movie is 2 hours long, it's both an origin story, and a full war-movie adventure which happens to mix with a superhero, a nemesis and everything involving Marvel previous and future movies. [/COLOR]
Are you serious? XFC is 2 hours long too.

Length time not has doing to do if I liked the movie or not.

"I wanna be able to touch people, Logan. A hug, a handshake, a kiss." - X3
*smiles* *walks away* - X4
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:57 AM   #233
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
This wasn't "How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Nazis" It was a film about about Captain America. Not Nazis. Thus, I don't care.
Well neither were Raiders of the Lost Ark or The Last Crusade. Dr Strangelove is a stupid film to pick as a play on words. At least if you're trying to be clever, pick a different and more appropriate film title . Raiders etc were about Indiana Jones with WWII as the backdrop. Same with Captain America.

Dark Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:02 AM   #234
BatmanInc
Banned User

9/10 for me. The first half was goddamn awesome. They built up the weakling Steve aspect perfectly, and wasn't bad effects for it to boot. I loved his evolution into the character.

Strangely, though, the second half wasn't so great. I mean, it was good, but not as good as the first half. As soon as he puts the bulkier suit on, the pace of the movie triples, which feels a bit odd. It feels like there was a scene or two missing, too.

BatmanInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:18 AM   #235
Spider-Fan
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
Well neither were Raiders of the Lost Ark or The Last Crusade. Dr Strangelove is a stupid film to pick as a play on words. At least if you're trying to be clever, pick a different and more appropriate film title . Raiders etc were about Indiana Jones with WWII as the backdrop. Same with Captain America.
No, Dr. Strangelove was a perfect choice for my example because the over obsession with swastikas by people is stupid, so my point was a play off Nazi love. So, my example was entertaining enough.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:26 AM   #236
BizarroAids
Heh

I never did care about there being visible swastikas in the movie. This is a Cap movie, granted it takes place during the war, but it's also the Marvel Universe. Hydra are Nazis and we saw plenty of them, as well as heard the name Hilter a few times. I don't need to see swastikas to get that it's WWII, if I was to see a bunch of those waved around I'll watch Saving Private Ryan (an actual accurate WWII film).

They did great of saying Nazis are very present, and subliminally you know they are there, they just upgraded to the Hydra division.

SMALLVILLE
2001-2011
BizarroAids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:52 AM   #237
Raiden
Say hello 2 my lil friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BizarroAids View Post
I never did care about there being visible swastikas in the movie. This is a Cap movie, granted it takes place during the war, but it's also the Marvel Universe. Hydra are Nazis and we saw plenty of them, as well as heard the name Hilter a few times. I don't need to see swastikas to get that it's WWII, if I was to see a bunch of those waved around I'll watch Saving Private Ryan (an actual accurate WWII film).

They did great of saying Nazis are very present, and subliminally you know they are there, they just upgraded to the Hydra division.
I have no problem with the inclusion of HYDRA in the Cap movie; remember that it's revisionist history, not actual history, and in the end Hydra was defeated along with the Nazis anyway. Besides, they will not be able to sell Nazi action figures like they can with Hydra at Walmarts.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:56 AM   #238
BizarroAids
Heh

That's exactly what I'm saying. When you have a movie that is going to be geared towards not only 18+ demograph but also kids 13 and under, you can't have Nazis running around the whole time. You have to sell toys, and if it's one thing kids/collectors love, it's the villains. What mother would let their kid play with a straight up Nazi figure? LOL. I just think all the "no swastika" or disappointment that they weren't included is a little....overboard.

SMALLVILLE
2001-2011
BizarroAids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:19 AM   #239
3dman27
super-hero wannabe

here is my vote on the movie

Old 08-01-2011, 11:44 AM   #240
WildcatNC
I'm on a BOAT ***** !

Cap sure brings out the "a little to obsessed with Nazi's" crowd of the geek community, as John Kovolic put it.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:03 PM   #241
DyeLorean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel View Post
That's why I like those action montages some have critiqued. They forward the story in an exciting and stylized manner but leave the window open for other adventures to have occurred during that time. Once Colonel Phillips lets Steve build his own team and "wipe Hydra off the map" time passes as they wipe out base after base. Some of those adventures would be cool to see in the future.
Yes, I also thought about the montage scenes. I guess that's the only possible way to keep telling stories there.

Still, if we didn't have the Avengers, I would have loved more sequels set in that period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
Are you serious? XFC is 2 hours long too.

Length time not has doing to do if I liked the movie or not.
No, that wasn't the point of my post, it doesn't matter.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:06 PM   #242
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
Awesome. Now I feel even better about loving it so much and so glad my early reactions were massively incorrect.
Don't know if you posted your thoughts on them, but what did you think of Bucky and the Commandos? I know you're a Bucky fan and was curious what you thought.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:15 PM   #243
DyeLorean

Does anyone know if Sebastian Stan is contracted for future Captain America sequels?

Old 08-01-2011, 01:48 PM   #244
spider13
Side-Kick

I read somewhere that he was.

spider13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:57 PM   #245
RedSkull
Lord of the Movie Masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatNC View Post
Cap sure brings out the "a little to obsessed with Nazi's" crowd of the geek community, as John Kovolic put it.
What does that mean?

I am of course a Red Skull fan and he's a comic book villain. It's ok to be a big fan of a character like that.

Has it been released internationally yet?

I don't sleep I wait for more movie masters
RedSkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 02:00 PM   #246
Pinky021
Side-Kick

I saw it yesterday,, it's perfect!,, 10/10 for me!!, I'm gonna take my kid to see it tonight!,

Pinky021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 02:07 PM   #247
The Morningstar
Banned User

The first hour or so, for me, is absolutely brilliant. Really is great in terms of a movie, not just comic book movie. Evans is just fantastic as Steve. You really feel for the guy. And it could easily fall into the cheese territory, but avoids it in my opinion because Evans is so earnest and sincere. A lesser performance and it could have been eye roll worthy. The USO montage was just amazing. Really clever. And I loved the montage of Cap on the missions, shot like old footage by reporters out in the field. The pacing and structure was spot on too. Weaving was awesome. Atwell was charming... and smoking hot. And Tommy Lee Jones was well used and actually looked like he was putting some effort in, when he could have easily phoned it in.

But then the last half hour kinda falls apart for me. It seems a bit rushed. And i wasn't fond of the blatant CGI backgrounds.

Overall though i'd say it's my joint favourite Marvel Studios movie with Iron Man. Thor just below them. If the film maintained the quality of the first three quarters, it'd be right up there as one of the best superhero movies ever i feel.

Last edited by The Morningstar; 08-01-2011 at 02:11 PM.
The Morningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:03 PM   #248
DarthDaveBanner
Side-Kick

I saw this three days ago. Now that I've had time to absorb the experience I can honestly say.....

What a brilliant way to round out a summer of superhero flicks. The moment of truth came when the vita-ray tank opened to reveal the buff-Steve and I just felt like applauding (and some people did!) Not just because of Evans' physique but because I felt so happy that the guy had got what he always wanted.

This will go down as one of the greats.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:04 PM   #249
TomPiltoff
you are all diseased

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
At least if you're trying to be clever, pick a different and more appropriate film title.
OK how about Raiders of the Lost Snark?

TomPiltoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:32 PM   #250
Generation Lee
Side-Kick

Saw the film last night and I was surprised how much I liked and enjoyed it. It stood out as a different type of superhero movie similar in how Batman Begins was so different from Tim Burton's and that other crap that followed. Let it be stated I'm not comparing it to Begins as the are different types of films. Back to the point Chris Wvans surprised me as did Dominic Cooper. Tommy Lee Jones was wonderful. Before seeing this film. I honestly thought it would be the weaker of the 3 Marvel summer films although I have yet to see Thor and First Class. At the minute Marvel have the monopoly on tue Superhero films. Would like to see more assets return to Marvel's hands in the future.

Generation Lee is offline   Reply With Quote