The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The First Avenger

Old 08-02-2011, 11:44 AM   #276
spider13
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Official Captain America: The First Avenger Review Thread! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
thats a great cover.

spider13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:47 AM   #277
WildcatNC
I'm on a BOAT ***** !

Default Re: The Official Captain America: The First Avenger Review Thread! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPiltoff View Post
Yeah but what sucks is when people pull that 'why are you so obsessed with Nazis?' crap.

However you feel about the presence, or lack thereof, of Nazis in the movie, it's an easy to comprehend argument: people think Nazis are inherently cooler villains than HYDRA because they're

a) classic movie villains

and

b) real-life *******s

As fans of superhero movies we all understand how important getting the costumes right is. Nobody wants Captain America without his shield and nobody wants Nazi henchmen without swastikas. That, combined with perfectly justified concerns over whether the studio is going to whitewash things in the name of political correctness, makes it easy to understand why people weren't completely satisfied when the first trailer came out and there was like 1/4 of a swastika in the background for half a second.

And on the other side of the fence are people who are perfectly fine with HYDRA. However you feel is a matter of opinion, but stop with the coy insinuations.
I don't disagree with that nor do I think there is no basis to want more of a Nazi presence in the film.

This is my problem with it:

After people beat a dead horse so much, it seems more like an unhealthy obsession. Not talking about YOU personally, never intended it that way. Just the general crowd thats been beating the Nazi drum since the movie was announced.

Last edited by WildcatNC; 08-02-2011 at 11:51 AM.
WildcatNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 02:27 PM   #278
Shazam
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPiltoff View Post
Yeah but what sucks is when people pull that 'why are you so obsessed with Nazis?' crap.

However you feel about the presence, or lack thereof, of Nazis in the movie, it's an easy to comprehend argument: people think Nazis are inherently cooler villains than HYDRA because they're

a) classic movie villains

and

b) real-life *******s

As fans of superhero movies we all understand how important getting the costumes right is. Nobody wants Captain America without his shield and nobody wants Nazi henchmen without swastikas. That, combined with perfectly justified concerns over whether the studio is going to whitewash things in the name of political correctness, makes it easy to understand why people weren't completely satisfied when the first trailer came out and there was like 1/4 of a swastika in the background for half a second.

And on the other side of the fence are people who are perfectly fine with HYDRA. However you feel is a matter of opinion, but stop with the coy insinuations.
Doc....that was pure poetry!! Kudos!!

Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:58 PM   #279
Chris B
Side-Kick

I'm giving Captain America a 9/10. Excluding Thor for now since I haven't gotten a chance to see it yet, but I thought this was the best in-house Marvel film since IM1. I really think Evans owned the role of Steve Rodgers just as much as RDJ did Tony Stark.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:16 PM   #280
jpbijos
Side-Kick

finally watched the movie!! and definitely is one of marvel's best movies! the most emotional of all, and the most caring of them all. I give it a 9/10!!

jpbijos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:49 PM   #281
50yroldfffan
Side-Kick

I kept thinking of Jack Kirby as I watched the movie. It brought me to tears thinking of Joe Simon's and Jack's creation and the fruit it bore in this movie. It was the truest interpretation of their creation and Kirby's genius to date. It captured the Heart of what those comics meant to me as a young kid back in the 60's. I loved every minute of it small flaws and all. It was great to be a kid again for two hours :-)

50yroldfffan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:19 PM   #282
co2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
I'm giving Captain America a 9/10. Excluding Thor for now since I haven't gotten a chance to see it yet, but I thought this was the best in-house Marvel film since IM1. I really think Evans owned the role of Steve Rodgers just as much as RDJ did Tony Stark.
Yeah, IM and CA are definitely the two best Marvel Studios films. RDJ is near impossible to beat, but I had more fun with Cap.
Marvel Studios really hasn't failed yet. I'd put Thor and TIH on about the same level of good. The only one that was "meh" was IM2, and it was by no means a bad movie.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:27 AM   #283
nite-owl
Side-Kick

I saw it yesterday it's probably my favourite marvel movie and movie of the summer.

nite-owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:27 AM   #284
Adenjo
Cottonheadedninnymuggins

Right....
Watched Captain America last night, first things first i'm a DC man, secondly when it comes to Marvel Cap is not one of my prefered choices, however....

In my opinion Captain America rates very highly among the recent Marvel movies, much better than Thor, perhaps even on a par with Iron Man (which for the record I thought was one of the best superhero movies ever made).

Chris Evans was fantastic, the 1940's feel of the movie was spot on, almost perfect SFX and a costume design that had the perfect balance between patriotic and practical while some how managing to be as true to the comics as possible.
Captain America (like Iron man before it) also had the perfect blend of action and comedy (something I felt Thor lacked).

The inclusion (even tho some idiots stll walked out as the credits rolled) of the Avengers teaser was a fantastic (even tho somewhat pointless being as the footage was released via the web) bonus.

Captain America gets 9.5/10.. Bring on The Avengers and hopefully Captain America2

It isn't about looking realistic. It is about looking awesome.
[DarthSkywalker]

BAZINGA
For the Star Wars fans
MY VANITY THREAD

TWITTER the_midlander
Adenjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:18 AM   #285
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Finally got to watch it today and while it did deviate somewhat from the standard origin fare in some interesting ways, it also stuck a bit too much to it. Nothing in the movie overly wowed me, except the scene at the dock that was filmed in my local city had me smiling.

I'll honest i've never been a fan of the character much, but from what I know of him, Evans was pretty much spot on in the role, i've always known he could do serious since Sunshine, but here he really excelled, great acting by all, but Evans was superb. The emotion in the movie was very good as well in that it tugged on the heartstrings sometimes. I was a bit dissapointed in the action, i actually preferred the action in The Wolfman, although just the action, I also thought Hugo Weaving seemed too restrained as The Red Skull, he didnt seem to get the chance to unleash that much, also some of the editing in the movie was pretty poor, and can someone tell me what need this movie had for 3D?

Very enjoyable overall, not as good as Thor or IM1 but better than TIH and IM2 for me, 8/10.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Interstellar-9.5(3)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(4)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(5)Gone Girl-9(6)Captain America: TWS-9(7)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(8)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(9)WOWS-8.5(10)Godzilla-8(11)Neighbours-8(12)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(13)Lego Movie-7.5(14)Transformers: AOE-7.5(15)Robocop-7.5(16)Sin City: ADTDF-7(17)300:ROAE-7(18)The Equalizer-7(19)MWTDITW-7(20)47 Ronin-6(21)Monuments Men-5(22)Ride Along-5(23)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:07 PM   #286
SterlingArcher
Side-Kick

Hey Guys Ive Frequently Lurked These Boards For Years Finally Decided To Up And Get An Account...
But To Stay On Topic Ive Seen Cap 4 Times Now twice in 3d Twice In the reg format and it Is Definitely A Good Flick And I Hope It Gets Plenty Success But It Has Its Flaws. It Didnt Hit Quit As Hard Emotionally For Me As Thor Or Iron Man Which Both Films I thought were better.. But thats not to take away from Cap But the way the second half of the film just falls flat compared to the first half besides the scene where Steve is Talking To Peggy.. It Felt Like the Heart Of it was lost and they didnt utilize Hugo Weavings Red Skull Like They Couldve and he was so great in the scenes he had that it disappointed me a little.. but overall Captain America Is Still A Good to Great Film That I would Recommend To Any 8/10

By The Way It Looks Like Hayley Atwell Needs To Get Put In The Danger Zone!!

SterlingArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:38 PM   #287
Isildurīs Heir
What are you looking at?

Saw the movie today.
Itīs much better than i was expecting, but far from a great movie.
Itīs a fun, popcorn movie.
Itīs a saturday morning cartoon in live action.
Thatīs not necessarily a bad thing, but comic book movies can be so much more is not even funny.

I really liked Chris Evans, the man makes an amazing Steve Rogers.
I liked the suit, is not perfect, i missed the wings on the sides, but as a WWII Cap suit is very good.
I really liked the Red Skull makeup
The only scene i really really liked was a the USO show and the song, itīs great, the song is oscar material.

Like i said, there isnīt much i can say wrong about the movie, only that is like a saturday morning cartoon, it feels like The Rocketeer.
The all no-nazis is awful, makes it even more of a cartoon.
Captain America should have a been a war movie with a superhero thrown in the mix, there should have been bombed cities, trenches, concentration camps, the all nine yards...afterall, itīs a WWII movie, if the comics never ran way from it, why should the movie?

All in all, i give it 3 out of 5

Old 08-04-2011, 11:11 PM   #288
Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by nite-owl View Post
I saw it yesterday it's probably my favourite marvel movie and movie of the summer.
Honestly, Marvel flat out saved this summer. Sure I'm biased for the characters but take away Thor, First Class and Cap and this summer would've been a drag. Transformers 3 gets the other nod because even though not much distinguished it from the other two Transformer films we've already seen, $200 million did show up on screen. Smart or not, it's popcorn entertainment.

What's left was a drag on the summer. Pirates 4 was a rehash yawn. Super 8 was an OK kids flick, nothing more nothing less. Green Lantern was as bad as most say. Cowboys and Aliens was a stuck in no man's land misfire of a film. Even the comedies of the summer were flat and average at best.

Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:22 PM   #289
co2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel View Post
Honestly, Marvel flat out saved this summer. Sure I'm biased for the characters but take away Thor, First Class and Cap and this summer would've been a drag. Transformers 3 gets the other nod because even though not much distinguished it from the other two Transformer films we've already seen, $200 million did show up on screen. Smart or not, it's popcorn entertainment.

What's left was a drag on the summer. Pirates 4 was a rehash yawn. Super 8 was an OK kids flick, nothing more nothing less. Green Lantern was as bad as most say. Cowboys and Aliens was a stuck in no man's land misfire of a film. Even the comedies of the summer were flat and average at best.
You are so right. The only REAL fun I had this summer was because of Marvel.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:36 PM   #290
flickchick85
Loose Seal
SHH! Moderator

Quote:

I agree, in the blockbuster arena. But I did see what are sure to be two of my favorite movies of the year this summer - Midnight in Paris and Tree of Life - and I don't think Marvel had anything to do with them.

Also, I would agree on the comedies, but I loved Bridesmaids more than any of the other Apatow-brand comedies or The Hangover, so I consider the summer a win for comedy solely for that.

01000110011011110111001000100000011001010111011001 10010101110010011110010010000001100001011101000110 11110110110100100000011000100110010101101100011011 11011011100110011101101001011011100110011100100000 01110100011011110010000001101101011001010010000001 10000101110011001000000110011101101111011011110110 01000010000001100010011001010110110001101111011011 10011001110111001100100000011101000110111100100000 01111001011011110111010100101110
flickchick85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:39 PM   #291
TomPiltoff
you are all diseased

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isildurīs Heir View Post
The all no-nazis is awful, makes it even more of a cartoon.
Captain America should have a been a war movie with a superhero thrown in the mix, there should have been bombed cities, trenches, concentration camps, the all nine yards...afterall, itīs a WWII movie, if the comics never ran way from it, why should the movie?
As somebody who was very concerned about the lack of Nazis going in, disagree.

If the had been attempting to depict the major battles of World War II while simultaneously white washing the Nazi elements, yeah, I'd agree. And that's the kind of thing I was worried about before the movie came out.

But Captain America doesn't try to tell that story. It follows Steve Rogers, not World War II. It feels to me like concentration camps aren't there because the story didn't call for it, not because they were afraid to go there.

Ditto with the Nazis. To me, it feels like they're there when they should be.

For example, the scene where Cap rescues The Howling Commandos - it's about Steve's mission. There didn't need to be a fly-by of Jews being held in pens.

TomPiltoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:53 AM   #292
Shadowlord X
Side-Kick

@ TomPiltoff

GREAT ASSESSMENT! This is a story of Steve Rogers, not a WWII story. To be honest WWII movies have been done innumerable times and very well at that, e.g., Schindler's list.

I honestly feel that any attempt to have made this into a WWII movie with CAP rescuing concentration camp jews, battling in trenches, etc., would have failed epicly. It would have looked false and contrived.

Shadowlord X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:20 PM   #293
BizarroAids
Heh

After seeing it numerous times, I've now regularly used the words "dame" and "bully" on a daily basis.

SMALLVILLE
2001-2011
BizarroAids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:01 PM   #294
50yroldfffan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowlord X View Post
@ TomPiltoff

GREAT ASSESSMENT! This is a story of Steve Rogers, not a WWII story. To be honest WWII movies have been done innumerable times and very well at that, e.g., Schindler's list.

I honestly feel that any attempt to have made this into a WWII movie with CAP rescuing concentration camp jews, battling in trenches, etc., would have failed epicly. It would have looked false and contrived.
Could not agree with you and Tom more! That's one of the parts of the movie that worked so well with me. Stick to the origin/the making of the man and elevate Hydra to something more then Nazis. Make the movie to serious and it would have sank from the weight of juggling the hyper real with fantasy.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:38 AM   #295
White_Knight191
Side-Kick

I'm glad to hear to most of you guys liked it.
To bad I have to wait until the 17th to see it on opening day here...

-Andrew Garfield
White_Knight191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:52 AM   #296
Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BizarroAids View Post
After seeing it numerous times, I've now regularly used the words "dame" and "bully" on a daily basis.
You're a good egg because that's the bees knees.

Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 12:03 PM   #297
The Morningstar
Banned User

I liked the references to the Blitz of London. After Bucky's death Steve returns to the pub they were in before, but was bombed out. I thought they did well to show how the war was a shared effort by the allies, but at the same time, Captain America was still the main man no questions asked.

It could have either gona too pro America and jingoistic like a Michael Bay film, or gone too politically correct in the other direction. The balance was spot on i felt.

The Morningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 12:13 PM   #298
BizarroAids
Heh

Quote:
You're a good egg because that's the bees knees.
LOL Okaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy.................

SMALLVILLE
2001-2011
BizarroAids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 06:15 PM   #299
scatterax
Presented in Technicolor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Morningstar View Post
I liked the references to the Blitz of London. After Bucky's death Steve returns to the pub they were in before, but was bombed out. I thought they did well to show how the war was a shared effort by the allies, but at the same time, Captain America was still the main man no questions asked.

It could have either gona too pro America and jingoistic like a Michael Bay film, or gone too politically correct in the other direction. The balance was spot on i felt.
didnt notice it was the same place.

4) The Dark Knight Rises 5) The Incredible Hulk 6) Scott Pilgrim vs The World
7)X-Men:Days of Future Past 8) X-Men:First Class 9) Thor 10) Spider-Man 2
scatterax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 06:48 PM   #300
50yroldfffan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatterax View Post
didnt notice it was the same place.
I didn't either! thats makes sense :-)