The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The First Avenger

Old 07-29-2011, 08:34 AM   #126
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

Default Re: The Official Captain America: The First Avenger Review Thread! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
I hate the stupid Tomatomaeter but I can't stop checking it. 78% now.
Cap's a real fighter, he doesn't quit , he rises above any and all challenges he comes up against . Look out 80% here comes Captain America.

The Caped Knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:01 AM   #127
Marvin
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Official Captain America: The First Avenger Review Thread! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
And sometimes, I want people to stop comparing things to TDK...and at the same time for others to NOT call attention to TDK worship, cause that is how it all starts. Then this becomes a Batman forum. So...NONE OF THAT!!!!
People have been comparing comic book films forever, that's kinda what they do. Something about the comparison to TDK really riles up fans however, and wonkyness ensues. Must be fun.

Anyways, as much as I enjoyed the "I had a date line" I think I would have felt caps loss a great deal more if he'd lost a loved one he's actually been with, even for a day or so. They pretty much did the typical boy meets and wins girl plot line, end it there and hope the audience is hit with the loss.

It seems to be working however.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:10 AM   #128
kedrell
Aacha,cha,cha&InkaDinkaDo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel View Post
The strange thing is, I enjoyed it MORE my second time. My mind wasn't racing and I was able to absorb the quality of the film and the performances. My rating went up after watching it again.
As did mine(seems to be a trend with these MCU films for me). When I first saw it I knew I'd give it at least an 8/10 but after several more viewings it's a 9/10 for me. I think the whole interconnected universe thing acts as a booster for me, making so many things in the story richer and having more meaning so that it adds another .5/10-1/10 to the score that they wouldn't get if they were purely seperate entities.

Last edited by kedrell; 07-29-2011 at 09:15 AM.
kedrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:04 AM   #129
Madelow
Newbie First Class

Hello all: Saw this last week, and loved it. Good script. Cap's background story was presented very well. Good casting. I was afraid of seeing some of Johnny Storm in Evans' performance, but he was Steve Rogers all the way. Good action scenes, and Tommy Lee Jones was great! Strong rec for comic hero fans! 9/10. Best regards, Madelow.

Madelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:06 PM   #130
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Here is what I want to know. EW said the movie wasn't screened for critics, don't we know that is bunk?

Does EW mean that it wasn't screened earlier enough for them to print a review?

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:07 PM   #131
WildcatNC
I'm on a BOAT ***** !

Going to see it for the fourth time in a few minutes. Catching a matinee with friends. Gets better every time. Also watched TIH last night and IM the night before.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:06 PM   #132
Moridin
Death Contagious Deity

Saw it earlier today, I really loved it. Every bit as good as IM, or dare I say... better?
Only repeat viewings will tell.

Defend night-flight sites...
Trap clamped, snared for pyres...

Witchtripper...
Witchtripper...
Moridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:14 PM   #133
grand-I-am
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
7/10 Weakest Marvel Studios film to date.
So you thought iron man 2 and thor was better? really?

Captain America is right behind iron man 1

grand-I-am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:37 PM   #134
kedrell
Aacha,cha,cha&InkaDinkaDo

Opinions are just that. Everyone is entitled to their own.

Old 07-29-2011, 04:53 PM   #135
Eggyman
The Oval Avenger

I really hated this film, and that's actually a rare thing for me to say. I hated it. It was all really nice and fancy and the production design gleamed and the performances were good, but I hate Captain America. Always have, always will. I thought I'd give this a try because they might make him... different, but no, same old boyscout. The 3D was rubbish. Not a fan of conversions. My least favourite CB film of the summer.

Sorry lol

Eggyman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:59 PM   #136
Spideyfan93
Hayley Atwell I love you!

Opinions are opinions, and I just want to be honest but...it's hard to judge such an opinion from a guy with a TDK avatar.

You hated it, but you thought the acting and look of the film were great?

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Spideyfan93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:03 PM   #137
WildcatNC
I'm on a BOAT ***** !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggyman View Post
I really hated this film, and that's actually a rare thing for me to say. I hated it. It was all really nice and fancy and the production design gleamed and the performances were good, but I hate Captain America. Always have, always will. I thought I'd give this a try because they might make him... different, but no, same old boyscout. The 3D was rubbish. Not a fan of conversions. My least favourite CB film of the summer.

Sorry lol

Some people only like anti-heroes. Thats how it is. Cap is the anti-Batman/Wolverine type. Makes no sense to me but thats why were all different.

I like all of them personally. They each have something they bring in a mythological sense.

Old 07-29-2011, 05:09 PM   #138
WildcatNC
I'm on a BOAT ***** !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spideyfan93 View Post
Opinions are opinions, and I just want to be honest but...it's hard to judge such an opinion from a guy with a TDK avatar.

I think the point was that it was a well executed movie, he just hates Cap and couldn't get past it.

Some look on good guys and boy scout types with derision.

Old 07-29-2011, 05:19 PM   #139
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Some people like characters with something else going for them other than them being a good guy. It's noble, but it's not very compelling.

jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:07 PM   #140
spider13
Side-Kick

what do you mean being a good guy isn't very compelling. cap doesn't let his person feelings get in the way he does what right no matter what, that takes balls.

spider13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:12 PM   #141
Eggyman
The Oval Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spideyfan93 View Post

This is exactly the kind of post that gets on my nerves. WTF does me having a TDK avatar have to do with me not liking this film? Because of my avatar am I not allowed to be subjective in my likes and dislikes? Do you think I only like one type of hero, even though I loved Thor? At the top of this page there's talk of people always comparing stuff to TDK. Well here's a batfan who didn't mention it and had it thrown in his face anyway.

Such a poor post from you. I'm shocked and appalled at such a comment. My apologies for the avatar. What a very strange thing for you to say.

Old 07-29-2011, 06:13 PM   #142
Parker Wayne
IT Boy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
Some people like characters with something else going for them other than them being a good guy. It's noble, but it's not very compelling.
Sometimes it's not about the character but more about the goal and the hero completing it.

With that said, I found Rogers to be a very compelling character. A guy who was determined to fight in the war and leave an impact actually does.

And him being in the present only makes him more compelling.

Parker Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:16 PM   #143
LostSon88
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatNC View Post
I think the point was that it was a well executed movie, he just hates Cap and couldn't get past it.

Some look on good guys and boy scout types with derision.
I found Captain America's "boy scout"-ness to be a breath of fresh air.

As much as I've loved the angle of having heroes with troubled pasts and internal conflicts within themselves the past couple of years, there's something refreshing about having a superhero movie where there's a very clear (albiet simple) good guys vs. bad guys story.

That unlike Bruce Banner who wants to rid himself of the Hulk or Tony who became Iron Man to atone for the harm his weapons have caused, Steve Rogers becomes Captain America because, well...simply, its the right thing to do.

Last edited by LostSon88; 07-29-2011 at 06:20 PM.
LostSon88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:22 PM   #144
Spideyfan93
Hayley Atwell I love you!

Quote:
This is exactly the kind of post that gets on my nerves. WTF does me having a TDK avatar have to do with me not liking this film? Because of my avatar am I not allowed to be subjective in my likes and dislikes? Do you think I only like one type of hero, even though I loved Thor? At the top of this page there's talk of people always comparing stuff to TDK. Well here's a batfan who didn't mention it and had it thrown in his face anyway.

Such a poor post from you. I'm shocked and appalled at such a comment. My apologies for the avatar. What a very strange thing for you to say.
Damn.

Didn't mean for that to happen. My bad.
That was a little ignorant of me; guess I've been annoyed myself at other people discussing the subject matter. Too annoyed in fact, that the post I made to you was bound to happen. It is terrible how one movie will cause such discussion and these emotions for years to come. Again, I'm sorry

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Spideyfan93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:38 PM   #145
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

I went to see the movie again for the second time it's even better than my first viewing .

The Caped Knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:39 PM   #146
D4rkShaDoWz
Gotham's Reckoning

I feel like I have seen Eggyman with that avatar since I came on these forums!

Check out my latest fan trailer -
Iron Man 3 and my short film "Touched"

D4rkShaDoWz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:50 PM   #147
Parker Wayne
IT Boy!

Quote:

Posters like that are the reason I have a neutral SN and avy.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:00 PM   #148
Silvermoth
Avenger

I'm seeing it tonight!

Old 07-29-2011, 07:27 PM   #149
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
Sometimes it's not about the character but more about the goal and the hero completing it.

With that said, I found Rogers to be a very compelling character. A guy who was determined to fight in the war and leave an impact actually does.

And him being in the present only makes him more compelling.
I'm more interested in how he copes with being in the present day because it at least gives him an obstacle to have to deal with.

jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:29 PM   #150
Parker Wayne
IT Boy!

That and the potential Winter Soldier storyline.