The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The First Avenger

Old 07-30-2011, 03:41 PM   #201
Project862006
Banned User

Default Re: The Official Captain America: The First Avenger Review Thread! - Part 1

on this whole hero vs anti hero thing what i love about Steve rogers is his background has the ingredients for a man mad at the world or a dark character

small stature that is ridiculed and gets bullied on alot ,and beaten down in alley's ,has health problems, both his parents are dead, the army constantly deny him access to join,etc.

but he does'nt let all these things bring him down or get mad at everyone and lash out he stays a strong willed good man with morals even after his transformation.

he does'nt feel sorry for himself

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 05:59 PM   #202
paulogonza
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Official Captain America: The First Avenger Review Thread! - Part 1

finally saw here in Brazil 10/10 amazing movie the best of marvel. a movie with herat, greta actings and good action scenes, and on base in theater i go , will be a huge success here, many sold outs there since yesterday, many more than thor for exemple.

paulogonza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:14 PM   #203
elgaz
Side-Kick

Finally got to see the film earlier tonight.

Awesome! Loved it. Evans is perfect as Cap, loved the period style and feel, and loved the fact that Captain America is a hero simply because he wants to be. The film felt very refreshing and was lots of fun. Solid 9/10 for me, easily up there with Iron Man.

elgaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:23 PM   #204
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Saw it today, I loved it, best superhero film of the summer? most definitely and in my opinion Marvels best offering yet. Chris Evans blew me away as Steve Rogers/Captain America. Also gotta make note of how awesome Hugo Weaving was as Red Skull and what a twist what happens to him, just loved it. The action scenes were probably the best I've ever seen in a superhero film. 10 out of 10 bring on the Avengers.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:32 PM   #205
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
I really enjoyed this movie, and will post more complete thoughts later. I do have one major quibble. The "horror of war" element was noticeably absent. Now, I get this is a film that has to be able to appeal to a broad range of people, but surely at some point one would explore, with a supersoldier character who can harm and kill with such apparent ease, the nature and impact of such a thing. It seems to me that this has been a fairly important part of the Captain America mythology, and it was almost nonexistent in this film.
Possibly they would have explored those questions if they'd had another movie. The sequel could even do so, though Marvel movies have tended to be fairly light and averse to controversy.

Old 07-30-2011, 08:43 PM   #206
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Saw it this evening and enjoyed it very much

Highlights that come to mind: Steve using his smarts to get the flag no-one else ever has. Erskine's scenes, USO scenes (especially his frustration when addressing serving troops), the Train sequence, the plane fights, and Steve's radio convo with Peggy near the end.

All in all, an unapologetic 'old school' adventure, with great performances and a sharp script, definitely among my favorite CBM's.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:00 PM   #207
spider13
Side-Kick

I think I'm going to see it again.

spider13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 02:10 AM   #208
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

I saw it for the third time tonight. I plan on seeing it at least once more, before I wait for it to be released on Blu Ray.

I was surprised (in a good way) to see that the theater rooms hosting CA still has a pretty packed audience showing up for the viewings.

herolee10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:19 AM   #209
ThDWgeek
Side-Kick

I saw this on Friday, and really enjoyed it. I found it to be really entertaining overall, though some scenes could have been done a bit better, like Bucky's death or the final moments of the film. It was just odd that they didn't actually show Cap being frozen. But other than that, it was great.

Evans was really good as Steve Rogers in my opinion. I'll admit that I was a bit sceptical when I heard the casting news, mainly because of the persona of his other roles (see the Fantastic Four films and Scott Pilgrim Vs The World). However, he really won me over with the role. I honestly found him to be humble yet brave and strong in a moral sense both before and after the transformations. I thought some of his best moments showing this were the grenade scene and the first chase after the serum process. Also, the effects used to make him skinny were top notch.

And as for the whole hero vs anti-hero thing, this film had an obvious hero, which is fine considering the tone of the film, the character, and the plot. I found it engaging and refreshing, and never once considered him to be a bland character. However, that's not to say that I prefer heroes to anti-heroes. For example, in X-men, Wolverine is an anti-hero who has more of a rebellious character, while also dealing with his tragedy and angst. Yet I still liked this, as it was fitting to the tone of the film, the character, and the journey that character takes. Basically, I fell that if a dark character or character arc is what fits to the film, then go with it, and the same for a more heroic character. It's just annoying when studios try to force it either way.

But for the film, I'd give it a solid 8/10, for acting, design, action and plot.

Old 07-31-2011, 04:22 AM   #210
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

In regards to not showing Steve's Body actually frozen, I'm thinking that the reason why they went with that approach is because they wanted to perhaps have audiences follow from Steve's POV, on waking up and believing at first for a moment that he may have not only survive the Plane Crash, but recovered as well by his own people in the 40's. That, and perhaps they wanted to also deceive audience members who aren't familiar with CA's history, that Steve may have been recovered in the 40's as well.

herolee10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:03 AM   #211
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Watched it last night. Good movie and very enjoyable. Evans gave a terrific performance. I liked how he got his blue Ultimates Captain America helmet in the movie from one of the USO girls instead of creating one for himself. It was as if he just picked up whatever was available, and it became his costume. I would'n't have minded seeing him go into battle with his USO costume though, even if it was something he was wearing underneath but then his outer coat either got torn or he gave it to Bucky.

Speaking of Bucky, I thought his screentime was a little too short. I was hoping he would die nearer the end. Maybe I've been influenced by Avengers:EMH where Cap and Bucky are actually both part of the climactic battle and then Bucky kicks Cap off the missle. I would've liked Bucky to have seemingly died then instead of so early on, so that it could give audiences more of a chance to see their friendship together.

I don't think Dum Dum Dugan was ever referred to in that way in the movie. He seemed to be more of an anonymous soldier.

The main title theme at the end (after the line "I had a date" and before the Star Spangled Man song) was quite heroic, but I would've liked to have heard more of that during the movie to cement it in our minds. It would've been very rousing to hear it when Cap was doing some heroic deeds.

I also noticed we never saw any swastikas throughout the film. Even on the Nazis that Red Skull killed, you never saw the swastika symbol. At most it was a side view of a red arm band. I wish Cap wasn't just fighting Hydra but actually kicking some Nazi ass. It seems our fears that the Nazis weren't in the movie were more or less proved accurate.

I also would've liked Cap to have properly defeated the Skull instead of RS picking up the cosmic cube. Maybe Cap could've been almost defeated by Skull, but then somehow shoved the cube into Skull's hands at the last second and then shielded himself from the energy. At least that would've made it seem like a clearer victory.

I did love Hayley Atwell and wouldn't want to see another actress in the role of Sharon. Hayley was just gorgeous and refreshing to watch. I want to see more of her. I'm not interested in seeing Amanda Righetti try to take on the role of Carter in the present. I don't see any indication either that Righetti was meant to be Carter. She was just part of the present day charade to make Cap feel at home, but I don't think he even thought she was Peggy at all from the way the scene played out.

On the whole an excellent movie and more interesting to me than Thor.

Dark Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:04 AM   #212
FVD
Jolly Loves You

I totally agree on the pure good vs. evil aspect of this movie. Something that certainly hasn't been tackled in this day and age with all the darker heroes of late. Indeed this film is a breath of fresh air and Chris Evans nailed the roles on all counts. Loved this movie that I look forward to a second viewing. So good this film is getting well received too.

Supporting cast too delivered in their roles. Stanley Tucci, Tommy Lee Jones and Hayley Atwell were admirable and the I have a date scene at 8 o'clock don't be late! That too was handled wonderfully. Really made you feel for the two of them not to mention the scenes with Steve pre-SSS. That flag scene was brilliant indeed!

Captain America: The First Avenger gets a 9/10 for me.

As for a potential sequel here's hoping the Winter Soldier does make an appearance. Also wondering if we'll ever get to see Barons Zemo or Wolfgang Von Strucker as well. Still I'm sure there could have been moments back in WWII where his encounters with the two could have been left untold and could be touched upon in flashbacks or something. Would be cool to catch Fury in WWII as well even if it were Nick's brother.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:31 AM   #213
ultimatefan
The Batman must come back

This is a late review, but it only opened in my country this weekend.

I think it more or less ties with XMFC as my favorite superhero movie of the summer. They did a great job at bringing Steve Rogers to life in more than one way. It makes him even more of an underdog hero than Peter Parker in many ways. Steveīs smart, but not a genius. His "superpowers" didnīt fall on his lap, he had to earn them through moral fiber, intelligence and courage. Unlike a few of the gags in Thor, the humor never feels too forced. And, although it takes forever to see him in action in the "definitive" costume, you get a lot more of it than in Thor.

The pace suffers a little bit in places. Although the USO scenes make sense for the story, they really irritate the most impatient audience members already dying to see full on Captain America action. The costume, by the way, works perfectly for the tone and look of the movie, and hey, you even get to see Cap punch Hitler in the Kirby suit.

I wonīt talk much about the cast, cuz I had to see a dubbed version, but I think you totally get Chris Evansīcasting in the context of the movie, you believe in this underdog turned badass hero. Hayley Atwell is one of the most badass - also hottest - romantic interests ever.

One significant flaw I felt in the story is, while I understand why they didnīt make Bucky a plucky - and annoying - teenager sidekick, his "death scene" doesnīt have the dramatic impact it had in the comics. But I love Capīs emotional goodbye to Peggy. We didnīt get much of Steve as a fish out of water in modern times, but thatīs what sequels are for, and I sure hope there will be. 8 out of 10.

"Sometimes, people deserve more. Sometimes, they deserve to have their faith rewarded." So, thank you for rewarding mine, Mr. Nolan.

This article should be mandatory reading before people argue about movies on the internet:
http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-common...-always-wrong/.
ultimatefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:36 AM   #214
Moridin
Death Contagious Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
I also noticed we never saw any swastikas throughout the film.
Yes, we did. Like the big one blowing in the wind at the start of the newsreel Steve is watching near the start of the film.

Defend night-flight sites...
Trap clamped, snared for pyres...

Witchtripper...
Witchtripper...
Moridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:41 AM   #215
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moridin View Post
Yes, we did. Like the big one blowing in the wind at the start of the newsreel Steve is watching near the start of the film.
I should've said swastikas in the actual movie, not in newsreel footage. I wanted to see one in glorious vibrant red colour.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:31 AM   #216
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

There was a swastika in the Johann Schmidt montage as Erskine was telling his story. One popped up behind him.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:40 AM   #217
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
There was a swastika in the Johann Schmidt montage as Erskine was telling his story. One popped up behind him.
Again, that wasn't in the proper narrative part of the movie but more of a flashback/ montage. It wasn't a swastika that was hanging there like in most other WWII movies for all to see. If you have to look hard for instances of a swastika in a war movie, then it can't be all that obvious. It should be everywhere just as the Nazis should be everywhere. The ones who were killed were more like token Nazis who wouldn't even show their arm band symbol properly.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:25 AM   #218
Triad
Sofa King Suite!

Like your review Spider-Fan...couldn't have said it better myself!

Old 07-31-2011, 12:15 PM   #219
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
Again, that wasn't in the proper narrative part of the movie but more of a flashback/ montage. It wasn't a swastika that was hanging there like in most other WWII movies for all to see. If you have to look hard for instances of a swastika in a war movie, then it can't be all that obvious. It should be everywhere just as the Nazis should be everywhere. The ones who were killed were more like token Nazis who wouldn't even show their arm band symbol properly.
Boo hoo.

Rock Sexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 01:09 PM   #220
The Sage
Officially a 30 Year Man.
SHH! Global Moderator

I'm actually more interested in Captain America's sequels than the Avengers movie, or maybe his story arc in the Avengers movie.

Old 07-31-2011, 01:33 PM   #221
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sage View Post
I'm actually more interested in Captain America's sequels than the Avengers movie, or maybe his story arc in the Avengers movie.
'Tis unfortunate.

Old 07-31-2011, 01:43 PM   #222
ClarkLuther55
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sage View Post
I hope his story about acclimating to the present doesn't get lost in The Avengers.

I thought that female SHIELD agent in the fake hospital should've been Sharon Carter. Or perhaps Steve could've briefly reunited with an elderly and widowed Peggy Carter, who could tell him that everything's alright and that he can and should move on.

"I had a date" was such an abrupt way to end this movie. It was sad to see Steve all pissed off and alone in the post-credits scene.

ClarkLuther55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 01:47 PM   #223
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkLuther55 View Post
I hope his story about acclimating to the present doesn't get lost in The Avengers.

I thought that female SHIELD agent in the fake hospital should've been Sharon Carter. Or perhaps Steve could've briefly reunited with an elderly and widowed Peggy Carter, who could tell him that everything's alright and that he can and should move on.

"I had a date" was such an abrupt way to end this movie. It was sad to see Steve all pissed off and alone in the post-credits scene.
Why would you want Steve to "move on"? That makes for a boring story. Him carrying Peggy around with him in his thoughts is 20 times more compelling. Gives him an inner struggle to develop his man out of time element.

Old 07-31-2011, 02:09 PM   #224
TomPiltoff
you are all diseased

Quote:
I also noticed we never saw any swastikas throughout the film. Even on the Nazis that Red Skull killed, you never saw the swastika symbol. At most it was a side view of a red arm band. I wish Cap wasn't just fighting Hydra but actually kicking some Nazi ass. It seems our fears that the Nazis weren't in the movie were more or less proved accurate.
I'm honestly perfectly fine with the way it was handled. The Red Skull had a deaths head symbol on his hat, the red arm bands were there (and although only from the side, it didn't strike me as unnatural/a choice based on PC-ness). Adolf Hitler's name is mentioned more than once, and is obviously featured in the USO routine.

I wasn't so much worried that there weren't going to be Nazis as much as I was worried that their absence was going to feel very blatantly like a business decision. It didn't, to me.

TomPiltoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:56 PM   #225
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
This wasn't "How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Nazis" It was a film about about Captain America. Not Nazis. Thus, I don't care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triad View Post
Like your review Spider-Fan...couldn't have said it better myself!
Thanks man! I worked hard on that review, LOL!

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote