Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 07:46 PM   #76
Showtime
Accomplishing Wonders
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptonian Warrior View Post
I believe that particular model is an '85, if I am not mistaken. I had one just like it.
I dig that car. Good get.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:48 PM   #77
Sherlock Holmes
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime View Post
I dig that car. Good get.
Certainly not as good as my ford fiesta. Ha!

Old 08-01-2011, 07:54 PM   #78
XEdge
Straight Edge and Proud

as long as this Smallville is still in Kansas ( and not some other rebooted state ), I'll be happy.......

I must feel my home state pride when watching the movie........

Old 08-01-2011, 07:57 PM   #79
Sherlock Holmes
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by XEdge View Post
as long as this Smallville is still in Kansas ( and not some other rebooted state ), I'll be happy.......

I must feel my home state pride when watching the movie........
I've been wondering why its so important to you. Lol

Old 08-01-2011, 08:06 PM   #80
XEdge
Straight Edge and Proud

I take great pride that Superman, the world's greatest superhero, is "from" Kansas and that his upbringing here in Kansas helped shape him into the hero he becomes.

so yeah........home state pride!!

I guess we'll be able to officially tell if we get a shot of a set vehicle sporting a Kansas license plate.

or else some other set marking ( like post office? ) that shows the town is in KS.

The movie vehicles should have Kansas license plates on them to make them "real" right?

Old 08-01-2011, 08:06 PM   #81
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

it's important to me too and I'm not from Kansas...nowhere near it actually

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Old 08-01-2011, 08:21 PM   #82
SuperDaniel
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randal Graves View Post
Can you post the link to the MOS Facebook page you're getting these from?
Sorry! Forgot to include the link! Updated my post with it!

Old 08-01-2011, 09:00 PM   #83
Kurosawa
Banned User

It's probably still Kansas. The Kent farm house looks pretty run-down. Would be great if some of the shots there were of an adult Superman coming back after his parents had died.

Smallville being in Kansas is the retcon, by the way. Originally it was a suburb of Metropolis, then it was moved to Iowa, then Maryland, and finally to Kansas in the Dick Donner movie. Smallville wasn't placed in Kansas in the comics until after STM. They've changed the town like they changed Superman over the years. In the earliest comics, it was a total suburb, then it was a rural farming town, then it became more of a small town like Mayberry.

With the changes in the town, the Kents changed, John/Jonathan in particular. Originally, Jonathan Kent was a farmer, then he was a farmer who became the owner of a general store and lived in the city limits. Basically the Kents went from being like the Waltons to being more like The Andy Griffith Show, and Jonathan Kent went from being a farmer character like Charles Ingalls to a more small businessman character like Howard Cunningham, then back to the farmer character again.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:50 PM   #84
SuperDaniel
Banned User

Changed for the better, imo, AGAIN as in many aspects of the character and mythos. It evolved till what we have nowadays. Moreover, their names were Sarah and Eben Kent. I prefer Jonathan and Martha.

Smallville is much better as a Norman Rockwell kind of town in the middle of nowhere, especially in Kansas. It makes sense for it be in a distant and remote place, somewhere you would never believe a spaceship would crash. It has parallels with Wizard of Oz and all.

I`ve always hated the way Smallville the tw show depicted it. I picture it very similar in mood and environment to how Greenbow, Alabama, was depicted in Forrest Gump. My favorite version of Smallville is OBVIOUSLY Superman for all Seasons.

BTW, I seriously doubt the Kents are going to die with Diane Lane and Kevin Costner playing them. That's how it should be, imo. Superman being like his audience, with parents as friends and supporters and a constant reminder of half of his roots.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:17 PM   #85
Project862006
Banned User

laughed at this post i saw on another site when they saw the kent farm pictures LOL

Quote:
Since when did Clark Kent grow up in the Texas Chainsaw Massacre house

Old 08-01-2011, 10:30 PM   #86
--Zero-Ethic--
Side-Kick

Lol

..Checkmate!"
Old 08-01-2011, 11:42 PM   #87
DCUmoviepage
Across The Multiverse

LOL [2]

Im very confused about the presence of Smallville on that film, and this is a good thing. I think they will show Clark back to his hometown years later than he finished high school. Will look weird ( for me ) if show again a young Clark in is high school years, with Henry Cavill looking so mature.

Last edited by DCUmoviepage; 08-01-2011 at 11:57 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:44 PM   #88
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick

lol....i wondered why they made it look that way

Old 08-01-2011, 11:54 PM   #89
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCUmoviepage View Post
LOL [2]

I very confused about the presence of Smallville on that film, and this is a good thing. I think they will show Clark back to his hometown years later than he finished high school. Will look weird ( for me ) if show again Clark years in high school, with Henry Cavill looking so mature.
huh???

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Old 08-02-2011, 12:00 AM   #90
DCUmoviepage
Across The Multiverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El.9859 View Post
huh???
Im talking what i think will happen in Smallvile, with a older Clark Kent returning to his hometown. Just speculating.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:31 AM   #91
SuperDaniel
Banned User

Or its just that the Kents are not rich people at all.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:51 AM   #92
Kurosawa
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDaniel View Post
Changed for the better, imo, AGAIN as in many aspects of the character and mythos. It evolved till what we have nowadays. Moreover, their names were Sarah and Eben Kent. I prefer Jonathan and Martha.
Actually Sarah and Eben Kent were their names in The Adventures of Superman 1942 novel by George Lowther. The earliest name for either of the Kents was Mary Kent as the mother and the father was unnamed (Superman #1, 1939). In Bill Finger's 1948 origin of Superman, their names are given as John and Mary Kent, Pa is changed from John to Jonathan by the great Edmond Hamilton in Adventure Comics #149 (Feb, 1950), then Ma is named Martha in Superboy #12 (Jan-Feb 1951) in a story written by William Woolfolk. There were a few mistakes, as Pa's name is given in a 1949 story as Silas, but from 1951-on he has been Jonathan. Martha 's name was misspelled as Marthe in a 1954 story, and her maiden name was given as Clark in Bill Finger's 1948 origin but given as Hudson in a couple of later stories, this was finally resolved by saying her name was Martha Hudson Clark. But yea, to me, they are Jonathan and Martha Kent.

Quote:
Smallville is much better as a Norman Rockwell kind of town in the middle of nowhere, especially in Kansas. It makes sense for it be in a distant and remote place, somewhere you would never believe a spaceship would crash. It has parallels with Wizard of Oz and all.
Well, as I said before, they've moved it all around, and it wasn't actually established until 1949. Before that and sometimes after, Superboy was shown as growing up in either a generic small unnamed town or Metropolis. Smallville is mentioned as being in Maryland in 1977 and in Pennsylvania in 1984. The Kansas location, however, comes from the two highest sources there are concerning Superman: in the classic "Superman Returns To Krypton" as written by Jerry Siegel, Superman points to a spot on Earth and asks Jor-El the name of that town-which of course he knows is Smallville. From the panel in the story, it's obviously Kansas. Jor-El responds by telling the lost-in time Superman that it is Smallville, and he has been following the life of a man named Jonathan Kent there because he finds him impressive.

I think the producers of STM and screenwriter Mario Puzo got the Kansas location from that story. It's not the only thing straight from classic Superman comics that was in hs drafts-the PZ villains were originally going to be Jax-Ur, General Dru-Zod, Kru-El and Professor Vakox, and the last act of STM was taken straight from Action Comics #5.

And just as importantly, Maggin used the Kansas location in his novels. So I would say there's ample evidence that Kansas might not have been the original location, but it is certainly the most canonical.

Quote:
I`ve always hated the way Smallville the tw show depicted it. I picture it very similar in mood and environment to how Greenbow, Alabama, was depicted in Forrest Gump. My favorite version of Smallville is OBVIOUSLY Superman for all Seasons.
I think it's along those lines, or like Mayberry. In fact, I think both Pa Kent and Superman himself are a little like Andy Taylor (from The Andy Griffith Show, obviously, not Duran Duran's guitarist). But even in a quiet, decent place like Smallville, Jonathan and Martha Kent were special, "Too good to be believed" as Police Chief Parker describes them in Last Son of Krypton. Even among good, decent and kind people, the Kents were extra honest and decent. I guess that's why the idea of them being chosen doesn't bother me much, although I don't think it's necessary either.

Still not a fan of Superman for All Seasons, but I'd probably like it better if a more appropiate artist had drawn it and if Clark hadn't been drawn to look like Lil' Abner/Jethro Bodine.

Quote:
BTW, I seriously doubt the Kents are going to die with Diane Lane and Kevin Costner playing them. That's how it should be, imo. Superman being like his audience, with parents as friends and supporters and a constant reminder of half of his roots.
If they want the new movies to succeed, they will, like how they will now die in the comics. Superman running home to his mommy and daddy for pie and consolation and advice is a good bit of why people look at him as a bore, because he has never lost anyone he loved or suffered-ESPECIALLY when he cares nothing about his heritage.

I hate killing characters I love, but Ma and Pa gotta go if Superman is to succeed. They're going to fix that in the comics, and they need to do so in the movie as well.

What would be smart and great would be to keep them around for several movies-but make them Superboy movies. But Cavill is way past Superboy stage. Maybe with the next film reboot. Which will be sooner rather than later if MOS is anything close to the Byrne version.

Quote:
Or its just that the Kents are not rich people at all.
Regardless, there's no way Clark would let the house look like that, no matter if they were alive or dead. In the classic comics he kept the house exactly as it was as a shrine to them after they died. He wouldn't let it run down.

Maybe it's the house before or just when they first find him. Nothing else makes much sense, IMO. Cos it looks like a dump.

Last edited by Kurosawa; 08-02-2011 at 12:55 AM.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:06 AM   #93
Stephen K. Hone
Side-Kick

The Kent farmhouse in STM was kind of rundown, unlike the one in Smallville which was very 'Better Homes & Gardens' in appearance. The one in MOS looks (iirc) somewhat like the STM farmhouse.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:12 AM   #94
Kurosawa
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen K. Hone View Post
The Kent farmhouse in STM was kind of rundown, unlike the one in Smallville which was very 'Better Homes & Gardens' in appearance. The one in MOS looks (iirc) somewhat like the STM farmhouse.
I don't remember it looking that crappy. Think I'll go have a look.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:15 AM   #95
Stephen K. Hone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
I don't remember it looking that crappy. Think I'll go have a look.
Look at the scene where Martha is calling for Clark to get up and she notices him standing out in the cornfield. When she goes outside, look at the weathering of the clapboard.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:40 AM   #96
DorkyFresh
Sum Dum Goy

Quote:
Progress at the Kent Farm:
my they certainly are going for a different look huh?

i like the MOS Kents' house. despite the actual house, the surrounding yard looks cozy with a few trees around the house. it doesn't look secluded and alienated like in SR.

Last edited by DorkyFresh; 08-02-2011 at 01:46 AM.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:50 AM   #97
Mace Bloodstone
Prospect

At first look it reminds me of the texas chainsaw massacre house.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:51 AM   #98
thatsabadoutfit
Side-Kick

The Kent house in the Man of Steel is what an actual American farm house is. It's surrounded by trees to give it shade, you have a cornfield nearby, and it's not beaming white and beautiful. It's always exposed to the elements and severe weather, humidity, heat, cold. I dig it.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:57 AM   #99
FCEEVIPER
Rubber bullets. Honest

Subscribes.

Thank you Nolan, Goyer & Jonathan
The Dark Knight Saga
2005 - 2008 - 2012
Old 08-02-2011, 02:38 AM   #100
SuperDaniel
Banned User

It doesn't look like a dump at all to me. It looks realistic which i`m sure is the point of it. Not have it stand out. I also thought the Smallville house looked like it was owned by rich people. The MOS looks it is owned by simple people and I love the surroundings with the rays of the sun shining through the gardens. They even have the rooster thing in the barn. All it needs now is a mailbox that reads "Kent"

Last edited by SuperDaniel; 08-02-2011 at 02:48 AM.
Closed Thread