The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The First Avenger

Old 11-05-2011, 04:08 PM   #176
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Default Re: Captain America: The First Avenger DVD Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvel View Post
avatar was a fluke because of the radical 3d. Even i told friends, "it's dumb as dirt but you got to see it in the theatre." it was a spectacle film but a bad movie take away the spectacle. Word of mouth in terms of ownership was quite poor. I know you would have to pay me to own it, not the other way around.
bingo

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

R_Hythlodeus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 03:26 PM   #177
Jordanstine
Side-Kick

Captain America TFA - Home Video Sales Chart Ties Blu-ray Marketshare Record!

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=7666

Quote:
For the week ending 10/30/2011, Captain America: The First Avenger had a phenomenal bow in the home video market as it placed first in both the Blu-ray and the overall sales charts. Produced by Marvel Studios and distributed by Paramount Pictures, The First Avenger was well received by comic fans and movie lovers. Cap ended his first week in stores in a virtual tie with TRON: Legacy for the Blu-ray package media marketshare record of 68%.
Good news!

Jordanstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:40 PM   #178
echostation
Banned User

for those who have the blu ray and DVD, what are the special features? I'm really interested in those... are they any good or are they typical usual recent Marvel short stuffed sethu ****?

Do they go in depth into alot of the pre-production? I'd LOVE to see a full in depth documentary making of on this film starting all the way back from the David Self script to now...

echostation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:00 PM   #179
kedrell
ThatsAlotOfNuts!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
Now looking at the opening week DVD sales numbers from the other 4 superhero films this year:

Thor -$9,867,282
Green Hornet -$7,184,531
X-Men: First Class -$6,328,615
Green Lantern -$4,782,431

So I'm wondering how Cap's first week will stack up.
Cap's first week on DVD: $12,556,603

http://www.the-numbers.com/dvd/chart...y/thisweek.php

And Cap takes an early lead.

Old 11-09-2011, 02:25 PM   #180
S.A.A.D.
Banned User

So, I watched the movie with my brother since he didn't see it before and he didn't like the following:

1. How Red Skull got beat
2. How the super soldier serum is like steroids
3. How Peggy seemingly liked Steve due to him being bigger and buff

He also though that Hugo Weaving as Red Skull sounded like Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Last edited by S.A.A.D.; 11-09-2011 at 02:48 PM.
S.A.A.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 03:08 PM   #181
kedrell
ThatsAlotOfNuts!!

Peggy clearly liked him before he got all big & buff. That seemed pretty obvious to me. If people take their steriods with a shot of radiation in a capsule then I could see the similarity more. But I don't remember Barry Bonds doing anything like that. Plus there's the whole thing about this needing only to be done one time and one time only whereas steriods need to continually be taken as their effects are only temporary.

How the Skull got beat? I chalk that one up to personal taste. I liked it, myself.

Last edited by kedrell; 11-17-2011 at 11:25 AM.
kedrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:10 AM   #182
Kryptonian Warrior
In Snyder I Trust

Deleted:

Last edited by Kryptonian Warrior; 11-17-2011 at 11:29 PM.
Kryptonian Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:25 AM   #183
kedrell
ThatsAlotOfNuts!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptonian Warrior View Post
I am probably reaching here, but I just thought it was interesting to say the least.
That's what I'm thinking.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:39 PM   #184
Kryptonian Warrior
In Snyder I Trust

Quote:
That's what I'm thinking.
Thanks for the well thought out input!

Old 11-17-2011, 05:36 PM   #185
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptonian Warrior View Post
Thanks for the well thought out input!

No need to get snotty about it. The dude told you what he thought, just like you asked. And I agree with him. Were they easter egging Alpha Flight too? It's just a line.

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:12 PM   #186
Kryptonian Warrior
In Snyder I Trust

Edit: Not worth my time in replying.

Last edited by Kryptonian Warrior; 11-17-2011 at 11:28 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:07 AM   #187
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Wow, Cap's blu-ray and DVD sales have been phenominal when compared to Thor which made more money at the BO, surely this will lead to Marvel officially getting started on the sequel soon.

Very surprised by how much it has beat out Thor on home sales though as I thought Thor was the better movie personally.

1)X-Men: Days Of Future Past-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9(4)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)300:ROAE-7(15)A Million Ways To Die In The West-7(16)47 Ronin-6(17)Monuments Men-5(18)Ride Along-5(19)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 06:13 AM   #188
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel View Post
Avatar was a fluke because of the radical 3D. Even I told friends, "It's dumb as dirt but you got to see it in the theatre." It was a spectacle film but a bad movie take away the spectacle. Word of mouth in terms of ownership was quite poor. I know you would have to pay me to own it, not the other way around.
So how come it broke all records on blu-ray and DVD when non of these are anything to do with 3D, even the special edition re-release sold amazing numbers. Listen, i'm not a huge fan of Avatar myself, but to say the movie was only successful because of the 3D is ridiculous, I know people whose whole families love the movie, it was a phenomenon, not a fluke.

1)X-Men: Days Of Future Past-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9(4)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)300:ROAE-7(15)A Million Ways To Die In The West-7(16)47 Ronin-6(17)Monuments Men-5(18)Ride Along-5(19)I, Frankenstein-3
Old 11-18-2011, 07:26 AM   #189
Shadowlord X
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
So how come it broke all records on blu-ray and DVD when non of these are anything to do with 3D, even the special edition re-release sold amazing numbers. Listen, i'm not a huge fan of Avatar myself, but to say the movie was only successful because of the 3D is ridiculous, I know people whose whole families love the movie, it was a phenomenon, not a fluke.

I have to say the success of AVATAR baffles me a bit. Now it's a fine movie, but if you have seen lots of movies, the plot is very 'been there / done that', absically Dances with wolves, except the good guys win. I always tell people that BO success is based mainly on awareness, mass market appeal, and hype, and that quality is only a modifier of that. I guess the 'new 3D' plus the 'first James Cameron movie since Titanic' caused the awareness and hype to be phenomenal and the DWW storyline has universal mass market appeal. However I still find it hard to see why this movie is now the #1 grossing movie of all time.

Anyway I'm really glad to see that CA:TFA is doing so well on blu-ray/dvd. I too hope that this means we'll hear a sequel announcement soon. I love the movie and find that it's one of the most rewatchable movies in ages (wearing out my blu-ray). So I'm eager to see more of CAP's adventures after THE AVENGERS.

That said I wonder if THOR is actually underperforming on blu-ray/dvd sales? It may be that a significant contributer to THOR doing so well at the BO was women and maybe they don't buy dvd's as much (although the sales for Twilight would disagree with this).

Shadowlord X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:14 PM   #190
Liam_H
Side-Kick

The women who love Twilight is because of the books, there's a built in fan base. Even if women were a significant contributor they wouldn't necessarily buy the DVD cause of Hemsworth cause its still mainly a comic book superhero movie.

Spill

Liam_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 07:59 AM   #191
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowlord X View Post
I have to say the success of AVATAR baffles me a bit. Now it's a fine movie, but if you have seen lots of movies, the plot is very 'been there / done that', absically Dances with wolves, except the good guys win. I always tell people that BO success is based mainly on awareness, mass market appeal, and hype, and that quality is only a modifier of that. I guess the 'new 3D' plus the 'first James Cameron movie since Titanic' caused the awareness and hype to be phenomenal and the DWW storyline has universal mass market appeal. However I still find it hard to see why this movie is now the #1 grossing movie of all time.

Anyway I'm really glad to see that CA:TFA is doing so well on blu-ray/dvd. I too hope that this means we'll hear a sequel announcement soon. I love the movie and find that it's one of the most rewatchable movies in ages (wearing out my blu-ray). So I'm eager to see more of CAP's adventures after THE AVENGERS.

That said I wonder if THOR is actually underperforming on blu-ray/dvd sales? It may be that a significant contributer to THOR doing so well at the BO was women and maybe they don't buy dvd's as much (although the sales for Twilight would disagree with this).
Thats a very good point, this could be a huge factor, primarily its men who collect BD's/DVD's so this could be why. Thor was more female friendly than Cap IMO.

Old 11-19-2011, 11:42 AM   #192
Shadowlord X
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
Thats a very good point, this could be a huge factor, primarily its men who collect BD's/DVD's so this could be why. Thor was more female friendly than Cap IMO.
Agreed. From the women I know who saw these movies THOR definitely rsoenated more them than CA:TFA.

I suspect also that from over the years CAP's comcibook fanbase is greater than THOR's and they would have been salivating to own this movie.

Old 11-22-2011, 04:13 PM   #193
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Paramount didn't really promote the movie very well IMHO.

The trailers IMHO are all really weak, average, run of the mill trailers.

My feeling last summer in one of the bloodiest, most competitive summers ever was that Cap was selling itself short and not really standing out among the pack especially when it coming out right after the big finale for Harry Potter.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:27 PM   #194
kedrell
ThatsAlotOfNuts!!

Perhaps that's why Disney fired the entire marketing dept. for the marvel films and decided to go with their own from the Avengers onwards?

Not that at this point it's easy to tell any real difference in marketing push that TA has got that any other of the MCU films got.

To me it seems like the same ole' marketing.

Old 11-23-2011, 06:41 AM   #195
Shadowlord X
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
Paramount didn't really promote the movie very well IMHO.

The trailers IMHO are all really weak, average, run of the mill trailers.

My feeling last summer in one of the bloodiest, most competitive summers ever was that Cap was selling itself short and not really standing out among the pack especially when it coming out right after the big finale for Harry Potter.

I really liked the first trailer (not the second); I thought is was very well made. However the marketing for CA:TFA seemed to be designed such that it assumes that CAP is an established legendary character that the everyone has been longing for a movie about. This applies to MARVEL fans, but not to the modern general audience (especially tweenies) to whom CAP is a barely recognizable character. Thus I thought the marketing was geared too much to fans/fanboys.

Old 11-23-2011, 06:50 AM   #196
Shadowlord X
Side-Kick

Quote:
Perhaps that's why Disney fired the entire marketing dept. for the marvel films and decided to go with their own from the Avengers onwards?

Not that at this point it's easy to tell any real difference in marketing push that TA has got that any other of the MCU films got.

To me it seems like the same ole' marketing.

I agree. I thought they would be really pushing a massive innovative marketing campaign by now but I'm still seeing the same 'catering to fanboys' marketing.

Old 12-05-2011, 02:16 PM   #197
04nbod
I need to debrief you

Finally today sees the release int he UK. As usual, a look at the HMV exclusive steelbook. Its a thing of beauty

Old 12-05-2011, 02:22 PM   #198
The Morningstar
Banned User

That is a very nice steelbook. It's going down on my list to Santa.

The Morningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:22 AM   #199
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

That is a nice case. Wish we could've gotten it here too.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:00 AM   #200
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Finally got this on BD and watched it and I have to say, it is the only CB movie I have watched this year that I have found worse on 2nd viewing. I was really dissapointed with it and dont know why it is liked so much. FC and Thor I have watched about 7/8 times each and enjoyed them more and more each time. I even enjoyed Transformers 3 and Green Lantern (albeit with the advantage of an extended edition) more on 2nd and 3rd viewings.

But Cap I just couldnt get into, i'm not saying its a bad movie BTW, but after the aftermath of the factory/Bucky rescue it really goes downhill until the last 5 mins for me and I just cant get into 90% of the 2nd half of the movie at all. I think, other than IM2, this is the worst Marvel movie for me and even on par with IM2. I will be watching it again so my opinions may change of course. I also thought the BD highlighted a lot of poor SFX in the movie as well which took me out of it.