The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 08-03-2011, 10:34 AM   #251
ultimatefan
The Batman must come back

Default Re: Laurence Fishburne IS Perry White in The Man of Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lencho01 View Post
Maybe he had bills to pay or was interested in buying something. A consistent paycheck is nice for an actor. It's why we see so many film actors turning to TV.
Heh, that reminded me of that cable show Episodes. This English couple is making an American version of their hit UK show, and the producers want to cast Matt LeBlanc for the main part, which hes totally wrong for. Even Matt himself knows it, but he wants to do the show cuz he wants to buy a restaurant chain.

"Sometimes, people deserve more. Sometimes, they deserve to have their faith rewarded." So, thank you for rewarding mine, Mr. Nolan.

This article should be mandatory reading before people argue about movies on the internet:
http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-common...-always-wrong/.
ultimatefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:35 AM   #252
Frodo
Side-Kick

The fanboy response has been positive for the most part. There are a few fanboys moaning about it , but that's to be expected, because you can't please everyone all the time anyway.

Frodo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:41 AM   #253
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

The fact that he's cast after filming has started shows how small his part is. It'll be good to see him stretch his legs in the sequel though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lencho01 View Post
Maybe he had bills to pay or was interested in buying something. A consistent paycheck is nice for an actor. It's why we see so many film actors turning to TV.
TV offers security and stability. No flying all over the world, no crazy training regiments, no arguing with a director over some scene or something. You can go in, do something that's relatively easy for an oscar nominee, explore a character leisurely rather than at a marathon pace, and take home a steady paycheck to your wife. And, for Fishburne particularly, now be able to discuss the TV vs Movie actor experience with said wife.

You'll also see a lot of black movie actors on TV because there are more roles for them there. Most ensemble casts will have one, maybe even two major roles that allow for or even require black actors. This simply is not true in movies. Plus, while they may not have any power or leverage in the film industry because they aren't bankable despite their talent, when a big name actor comes down to TV, they have a lot more influence.

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:14 AM   #254
hopefuldreamer
I will find him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo90 View Post
Imagine Perry on the Daily Planet rooftop, trying to teach Clark how to fly. Or he gets in a tiff with Lois
"C'mon, stop trying to slap me and slap me!"
yep that one got me laughing too.

I have a simple sense of humour

Clark: What are you trying to tell me? That I can dodge bullets?

Perry: No, Clark. I'm trying to tell you that when you're ready, you won't have to.

Argh, so hard to stop once you start

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
hopefuldreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:23 AM   #255
TheWatcher
Dapper

Great casting. It kills me that people over at **************(bleh) are saying that now they are going to cast an asian Jimmy. They are one sided, one track minded people with no creative thoughts at all. Fishburne is great for the role, as was Elba for Heimdall and MCD for Kingpin. And I'm a white,straight male.

-Christian Bale
TheWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:24 AM   #256
NotFadeAway
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
The fanboy response has been positive for the most part. There are a few fanboys moaning about it , but that's to be expected, because you can't please everyone all the time anyway.
First off, I must say that I love this casting choice. Out of left field in the best way.

But you bring up a good observation. I am stunned that the fanboy response has been this good. This response is almost as out of left field as the casting of Fishburne as Perry. I expected alot of silly pissing and moaning because Perry is being played by a black actor, but no. I am almost proud of my fanboy peers for not acting up. A golf clap is in order.

I love this cast, and I'm have all the faith in the world that the script is great. Goyer and Jonah Nolan are talented and their is no way actors like Crowe, Adams, and Lane would sign up if the script was crap. Nor would Costner, who only appears in dreck if he is involved in the production. The only question mark in my mind is Snyder's ability to tell the story.

LOST- 2004-2010: "The most important part of your life was the time you spent with these people. "

Best comic film of all time. The Dark Knight Rises!

Last edited by NotFadeAway; 08-03-2011 at 11:28 AM. Reason: ffff
NotFadeAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:28 AM   #257
kal-elrebooted
True Superman Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotFadeAway View Post
First off, I must say that I love this casting choice. Out of left field in the best way.

But you bring up a good observation. I am stunned that the fanboy response has been this good. This response is almost as out of left field as the casting of Fishburne as Perry. I expected alot of silly pissing and moaning because Perry is being played by a black actor, but no. I am almost proud of my fanboy peers for not acting up. A golf clap is in order.
Thank you man

Classic Costume All the Way
kal-elrebooted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:47 AM   #258
Rowsdower!
Cal Kzing

This casting is... interesting. Not what I was expecting, but I hope he does well. My worry though is that he'll have the same problem Frank Langella had in the role in that he'll come off like a guy who doesn't know how to not be too serious trying to do exactly that. And as we saw with Langella, the result was (IMO) a dude acting like he had Alzheimer's.

I like Fishburne, but I can only think of two roles (Ike Turner and the character in Searching for Bobby Fischer) where he didn't sound like he thought he was doing Shakespeare. I hope that he can capture the gruffness and raw edge that Perry has. I'm pulling for him, don't get me wrong, but this is just a surprise. Definitely another sign that they are aiming high with the casting though.

Now...

LEX LUTHOR DAMMIT!!!

Rowsdower! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:58 AM   #259
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Boyz in the Hood... when he's asked to be 'gritty' he does it. He often takes roles where he's not asked to be gritty.

I anticipate the Perry we'll get has always been designed to be epic sounding, though it'd be nice if we see the pit-boss as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsnee View Post
I just hope we don't get an ending scene of Supers flying away while Perry White says in voiceover: "We write about him because people need to know. Strength doesn't come from lifting buildings or stopping bullets. Strength comes doing what is right, not what is easy. Where other men might be corrupted or give in, he never will. He is our beacon to guide us. A man of truth. A man of justice. A man of steel."

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:16 PM   #260
Steyin
Project Designer, LEED AP

Call me crazy but I haven't really been impressed by most of the casting. Of course that could be due to being used to other actors in the roles for the last 20/30 years, but I can't really picture 90% of this cast for Superman. I'm not saying the talent isn't there, I just don't feel that it matches up with the characters.

I'm sure I'm in the minority on this, and I'm actually a little underwhelmed and worried for this film.

My LEGO Gallery
Steyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:24 PM   #261
Dr. Evil
Bishop

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
The fact that he's cast after filming has started shows how small his part is. It'll be good to see him stretch his legs in the sequel though!

TV offers security and stability. No flying all over the world, no crazy training regiments, no arguing with a director over some scene or something. You can go in, do something that's relatively easy for an oscar nominee, explore a character leisurely rather than at a marathon pace, and take home a steady paycheck to your wife. And, for Fishburne particularly, now be able to discuss the TV vs Movie actor experience with said wife.

You'll also see a lot of black movie actors on TV because there are more roles for them there. Most ensemble casts will have one, maybe even two major roles that allow for or even require black actors. This simply is not true in movies. Plus, while they may not have any power or leverage in the film industry because they aren't bankable despite their talent, when a big name actor comes down to TV, they have a lot more influence.
This is true.

As for this casting, surprising but a good one. It's about time the Superman films showed some diversity, to keep up with modern times.

Plus, I'm sure that when he signed to do CSI, he received some TV advice from his wife.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:24 PM   #262
Rodrigo90
Boy Wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steyin View Post
Call me crazy but I haven't really been impressed by most of the casting. Of course that could be due to being used to other actors in the roles for the last 20/30 years, but I can't really picture 90% of this cast for Superman. I'm not saying the talent isn't there, I just don't feel that it matches up with the characters.

I'm sure I'm in the minority on this, and I'm actually a little underwhelmed and worried for this film.

The actors in this movie has got to be one of the best lineups in history, IMO.

I believe in Batfleck

Things I have been right about before they were confirmed -
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
1. Superman having no trunks
2. Bruce Wayne retiring and Batman being made a martyr
3. Bryan Cranston NOT being Lex Luthor
4. Joker being the big bad in Batman: Arkham Origins
Rodrigo90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:27 PM   #263
RockSP
MYTH SMITH ∞!!!

Someone leaked me the script. Fishburne has 1 line in the movie: "Say jack, that's a bad suit! Woo!"

https://www.facebook.com/pages/MYTH-...31161003585134
RockSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:29 PM   #264
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockSP View Post
Someone leaked me the script. Fishburne has 1 line in the movie: "Say jack, that's a bad suit! Woo!"
I smell Oscar.

Mark Strong as Sinestro
Blake Lively as Carol Ferris
HighFivingMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:42 PM   #265
Rowsdower!
Cal Kzing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
Boyz in the Hood... when he's asked to be 'gritty' he does it. He often takes roles where he's not asked to be gritty.

I anticipate the Perry we'll get has always been designed to be epic sounding, though it'd be nice if we see the pit-boss as well.
I have to disagree with you on Boyz 'n the Hood... he was also very articulate in that movie. But it suited the part so it worked.

Though I do agree with you that he is very epic sounding with that booming voice.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:43 PM   #266
Rowsdower!
Cal Kzing

Quote:

The actors in this movie has got to be one of the best lineups in history, IMO.
Hey, it's pretty good but it has nothing on In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale.

Or The Expendables.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:52 PM   #267
Rodrigo90
Boy Wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
The Expendables.
That was just a bunch of aging film stars looking to make a pay cheque before their pensions come through

I believe in Batfleck

Things I have been right about before they were confirmed -
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
1. Superman having no trunks
2. Bruce Wayne retiring and Batman being made a martyr
3. Bryan Cranston NOT being Lex Luthor
4. Joker being the big bad in Batman: Arkham Origins
Rodrigo90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:53 PM   #268
Superark
The Purveyor of Good

I absolutely hate this casting for a few reasons!

First of all, I've never been a fan of Fishburne. He's an average actor at best, IMO, and I feel he's a one note kind of guy.

Secondly, this just feels like a gimmick casting to try and create waves and be "outside the box". nothing more.

Thirdly, I just hate when they don't stick to the source material and just change the race for no real apparent reasons. If it was a case similiar to Kingpin and MCD, I could understand since there really wasn't many, if any, actors who were accomplished and had the kind of physical presence Kingpin required. MCD was a totally reasonable casting that I had no problem with. There were a lot of good to great choices for Perry White and you cannot tell me that somehow Fishburne was that good. No reason for the change.

And just to go ahead and get it out the way and clear things up, no I am not racist.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:55 PM   #269
That person
Bull Moose

Quote:
Now how about Keanu Reeves as Lex?
He has experience working with Snyder:

On topic, I kind of expected there to be a racelift for Perry's, but Fishburne in particular didn't occur to me. It's a pretty brilliant choice really. He's a skilled actor and I feel like he can bring something fresh and faithful to the role.

"Theodore Roosevelt, Jr., nicknamed "Teddy" or "TR", was born October 27, 1858 in New York City. As a young child, he was often sick and was stricken with asthma. Viewing this as a challenge, he proceeded to beat his asthma to death."- Cracked

Last edited by That person; 08-03-2011 at 01:07 PM.
That person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:55 PM   #270
sepharih
Resident Censor Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher View Post
Great casting. It kills me that people over at **************(bleh) are saying that now they are going to cast an asian Jimmy. They are one sided, one track minded people with no creative thoughts at all. Fishburne is great for the role, as was Elba for Heimdall and MCD for Kingpin. And I'm a white,straight male.
So completely true. Ok...maybe there's an argument to be had for changing a character's race purely for the sake of diversity. Even then I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing, but there's a legitimate argument to be had. And yes, there are instances where a character's race is an important character trait (Captain America).
This is not the case here. Laurence Fishburne is a great actor and a fantastic choice for the role. So freaking what if the character has always been white, I'll go out on a limb and say that Fishburne may very well do more justice to the character then any live action incarnation has ever even dreamed of doing.

sepharih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:58 PM   #271
Superark
The Purveyor of Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steyin View Post

I love the Pa Kents and Jor-El castings. I think Zod and Lois are solid choices, though I had different actors in mind.

The Superman and Perry White choices are the only ones that have left me truly disappointed.

Most news about this film has left me underwhelmed and I am not anywhere near as excited as I should be for a Superman movie.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:00 PM   #272
p4poetic
Side-Kick

Hmmm. EW.com, should I look at the comments? I think not. Not in the mood for a headache today.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:13 PM   #273
Project862006
Banned User

I love the race change because it shows change you cant tell me metropolis is just filled with white people yeah that screams modern lol

this makes it more contemporary and modern because a black man can be in a position of power

this is'nt the 1930's

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:15 PM   #274
TheIncredibleSk
Hard hitting opinions.

My thing is this. And I'v always said it. For roles like these, cast the best actor possible for that role. If they think "The Fish" is the best for the role so be it. I don't have a problem if you think the guys a ok actor and thats why you have a problem. But to have a problem with the mans race. I mean think about this. When were these character's created. The 1930's. A time when you didn't see one damn black person, if you did he was a walking stereotype. Their is no true color is the Superman franchise except for Steel and Ron Troupe and nobody gives **** about them. Y'all comic accurate people, would have never describe Perry White before yesterday as white so I dont know why know you care. Also for all those idiots who screaming what if you change The Black Panther into a asian or into a white person. Please do us all a favor and shut the **** up. First most black superhero, their race is who they identify themselves with and is part of their backstory. Is this the case with Perry? Um..Nope. Secondly how many minority heros do you see get on the screen these days? Um not many. So I'd be up in arms if they changed a black superhero's race since I don't see black superheros on the big screen. But I can go to the movies right now and see 4 white guys playing superheros so yeah it's not the same thing at all. Third, Its Perry ****ing white. He'll have a good 10 lines in this movie probably. Are you that close minded, that for the ten ****ing minutes he'll be on screen, all you'll be thinking is....OMGZZZ THEY RUIN THE SUPERMAN FRANCHISE BY TURNING Perry WHITE INTO A BLACK MAN. If so, then im sorry for you.

TheIncredibleSk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:21 PM   #275
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Very pleased with this casting

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote