The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 08-03-2011, 04:13 PM   #301
FilmNerdJamie
We. Are. Hunter. RIDER!
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: Laurence Fishburne IS Perry White in The Man of Steel

Wams was giving his opinion as both a comic-book fan and a black man. I didn't see anything particularly offensive about said post although I personally didn't agree per say with all of his points. Ergo it wasn't deleted.

If you can't have a debate like an adult without labeling someone a racist or terms of the like, then do yourself a favor and don't say anything.

Old 08-03-2011, 04:19 PM   #302
Octoberist
point blank

Guys read this wonderful piece on race in comics.

Hey, That’s My Cape! – Comic Books, Race, Change, & Hate

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/hey-...wsarama.com%29

Last edited by Octoberist; 08-03-2011 at 04:23 PM.
Octoberist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:20 PM   #303
Kurosawa
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo90 View Post
I have this image of Clark walking into Perry's office, and you just see Morpheus sitting there

"You are the One, Kent..."

And what I think is interesting is, Perry wasn't created in the comics first, but for radio. So he might have been black then for all the listeners knew.
He was created for the comics first, by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster in the story "The K-Metal From Krypton" which would have ran in Superman #7 but was written earlier than that and was rejected by DC because the changes it would have made were too radical. This was the story where Siegel and Shuster lost total control of Superman-although the first loss was when DC rejected the idea of adding Superboy to the mythos in November of 1938. The editor of the Superman comics, Whitney Ellsworth, was also the Producer and the main creative force of the radio show-and he used Siegel created things like Perry White and K-Metal, renamed as Kryptonite, on the radio show, then took (or was given) credit as if he created them.

http://superman.nu/k-metal/about-k-metal.php

Had Siegel and Shuster had their way, Superboy would have been part of Superman's history from 1938-on, he would have known his heritage as a Kryptonian and had K-Metal as a weakness in 1940, he would have regularly fought foes who used K-Metal to gain powers, and Lois would have known Clark Kent was really Superman from 1940-on. Who knows if it would have been better or worse, but it would have been very different.

Kurosawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:26 PM   #304
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Anyway, Morpheus as Perry White = awesome!

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.

Last edited by I SEE SPIDEY; 08-03-2011 at 04:38 PM.
I SEE SPIDEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:29 PM   #305
Project862006
Banned User

remember what zack said where he wants to make supes modern and contemporary and how it is interesting to see supes in our world and not the fake,apple pie,and smiles world

this is another step towards his claim if supes lived in our world it would'nt be just Caucasians inhabiting the world

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:32 PM   #306
--Zero-Ethic--
Side-Kick

Personally, I've never been overly interested in Perry as a character.
I always thought he was a nice lil side character in all of the shows and films, although he was a great character in "Lois & Clark", but I'm not bothered about his portrayal personally.
That said, having Lawrence Fishburne in the role has caught my attention because he's awesome.
So I'm more interested now than before lol

..Checkmate!"
--Zero-Ethic-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:34 PM   #307
The Red Hood
Banned User

I just wonder if this was really about Fishburne's acting or about his color? Did the WB cast him because they saw that he could bring something new and dynamic to the role (which anyone who's ever seen him in any of his roles knows is what he does best) or was this a matter of appeasing political correctness because thus far, everyone cast was white?

Another question to ponder: we've seen the Reboot Perry White as of SDCC, but will the actual issue feature a change to the character? It wouldn't bother me, and it would make sense to tie in to the film. In fact, it would be great.

But I am still left to wonder what the real impetus behind this decision was...

The Red Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:39 PM   #308
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

I think they normally don't give a **** about the race when the character isn't really as integral as some of the others. Now a black Lois Lane, we'd be having riots.

terry78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:39 PM   #309
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Red Hood View Post
I just wonder if this was really about Fishburne's acting or about his color? Did the WB cast him because they saw that he could bring something new and dynamic to the role (which anyone who's ever seen him in any of his roles knows is what he does best) or was this a matter of appeasing political correctness because thus far, everyone cast was white?

Another question to ponder: we've seen the Reboot Perry White as of SDCC, but will the actual issue feature a change to the character? It wouldn't bother me, and it would make sense to tie in to the film. In fact, it would be great.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:43 PM   #310
bell110
Drunk on Capitol Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamalYIgle View Post
While i don't agree with you because I like Fishburne as an actor and think he's a good fit fot the part. I do agree in certain circumstances (Michael Clark Duncan as Kingpin for example)It's unnecessary.
See, I can understand Duncan as Kingpin because he physically fits the role. I can't think of any white actor that could fit.

Quote:

Before your post gets deleted, of course this is for PC reasons.

bell110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:43 PM   #311
Wheels
HR Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by --Zero-Ethic-- View Post
Personally, I've never been overly interested in Perry as a character.
I always thought he was a nice lil side character in all of the shows and films, although he was a great character in "Lois & Clark", but I'm not bothered about his portrayal personally.
That said, having Lawrence Fishburne in the role has caught my attention because he's awesome.
So I'm more interested now than before lol
Same.

Quote:
Because I'm a total mark and the first words I ever spoke when I came out of my mother's wound, was that one day, I was going to be the WCW Champion.
-- Vince Russo
Wheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:48 PM   #312
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

^Same times two.

Old 08-03-2011, 04:51 PM   #313
Project862006
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bell110 View Post

Old 08-03-2011, 04:54 PM   #314
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
Guys read this wonderful piece on race in comics.

Hey, That’s My Cape! – Comic Books, Race, Change, & Hate

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/hey-...wsarama.com%29
Thanks. I'll read it later.

Quote:

I doubt WB had anything to do with this other than coming up with a contract. I guess it'll likely help them market it to the "urban demographic" or whatever they choose to call it.

Snyder/Nolan are probably pretty free to do whatever they want and that includes changing the race of a character like Perry White and have him played by a great and respected actor of color.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:55 PM   #315
FilmNerdJamie
We. Are. Hunter. RIDER!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bell110 View Post
His post wasn't deleted nor will it be because he asked questions calmly as a adult without throwing around terms like "affirmative action BS" in order to stir the pot. Unlike, say, you.

Last edited by FilmNerdJamie; 08-03-2011 at 05:01 PM.
FilmNerdJamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:04 PM   #316
Kurosawa
Banned User

To me, Fishburne is an actor who is in that mentor/father figure place. Perry is a gruff character, but more than anything, he deeply cares about his staff and is fatherly, especially to Clark. He plays a stern leader well, and he really works as a authority figure and a man of integrity, which is what Perry is.

Kurosawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:06 PM   #317
Project862006
Banned User

very true if they wanted a mad screaming lunatic perry they would go after Forest Whitaker lol

Old 08-03-2011, 05:27 PM   #318
DorkyFresh
Sum Dum Goy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
very true if they wanted a mad screaming lunatic perry they would go after Forest Whitaker lol
or Sam Jack

Old 08-03-2011, 05:32 PM   #319
Wheels
HR Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkyFresh View Post
or Sam Jack
Or Washington, he comes off as angry alot.

Quote:
Because I'm a total mark and the first words I ever spoke when I came out of my mother's wound, was that one day, I was going to be the WCW Champion.
-- Vince Russo
Wheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:45 PM   #320
Rodrigo90
DafoeISJoker

Quote:

Its because we have a black president, and casting Fishburne is a subtle nod to that

I believe in Batfleck
Rodrigo90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:12 PM   #321
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:

The answer, my friend is both.

Commercially you need blacks in a blockbuster ensemble film because minorities make up almost half your ticket buying audience. If you have a city that's full of white people, some are going to recoil (or choose a movie they think is more for them instead), and you can't afford that. You can't afford the PC Caucasians disinterest either.

Critically, you're not really being authentic if you make anything homogenous. Things need details, quirks, texture, and just non-genericness. Inserting minority characters helps give the world and the story texture in a way that is simple and beneficially to the movie as a whole. This, incidentally, also feeds the bottom line.

People don't like their cheese moved, but in this case, it's simply wise. So in a situation like this, you can either create a new character or change a character's race. Let's say you do both, so then you have to figure out who to change. It can't be Superman, or Jor-El or the Kents... but who then ? So you start throwing out names. Zoe Saldana as Faora. Antonia Banderas as Zod?

And then someone says Fishburne as Perry White, and everyone's eyes light up like mine did when I read the front page article. There's a lot of reasons why, but mostly it's because Fishburne would absolutely nail the part, just based on his filmography and awards. And then you start picturing him sitting there at that desk silently chewing out Lois and Clark and it just looks good. And his race also brings a new dynamic to the part that a white actor can't bring. A texture, if you will.

OR maybe it wasn't like that. Perhaps they decided that Perry White was the one to change because people are used to see black actors in that kind of supporting cast boss role. Then they went through the list: Forrest Whittaker, Charles Dutton, Cuba Gooding Jr, Laurence Fisbhurne... then everyone's eyes lit up. Felt that same rush when casting Keaton as Batman or RDJ as Iron Man. Totally unexpected, but it somehow just works.

In addition to being perfect for the part, despite his race, what makes him not "right" for the part is exactly why he was cast, and a big part of what he brings to the table, both critically and commercially.

And then, on top of that, to make sure it's clear that it's not just a PC thing, you cast another black actor, in this case, Harry Lennix. It's entirely possible he was suggested for Perry first before he was moved to the new character. This shows they're not trying to meet a quota, they're making authentic artistic or commercial decisions.

Last edited by DrCosmic; 08-03-2011 at 06:16 PM.
DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:32 PM   #322
Asgard
Kanga Fu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime
The Brothers Warner have been trying to inject an African American actor into a major role in Superman for years. I think they have finally scored on this front.
I guess this is part of the answer if you want to believe Showtime.

The other part is looking for a black actor that has the ability to portray Perry hes written by Goyer/Nolan.

Add that together and you apparently get Laurence Fishburne.

Im happy with the choice too. I really like Fishburne and I feel his presence in the movie is a plus.

Asgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:33 PM   #323
Hypestyle
Side-Kick

He needs to have lots of lines and good scenes. He's tough but fair-- not an over the top egotist like Jameson. He should have a chip on his shoulder against "celeb-centric" news (i.e., constant coverage of reality shows, etc.). I don't know how many superhumans exist in this new movie continuity, but he should have a cautious curiosity..

Hypestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:43 PM   #324
Wams
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamalYIgle View Post
While i don't agree with you because I like Fishburne as an actor and think he's a good fit fot the part. I do agree in certain circumstances (Michael Clark Duncan as Kingpin for example)It's unnecessary.
In for a penny in for a pound my friend.

Wams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:47 PM   #325
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

I don't see the problem. He's a good actor. Superman's supporting cast is whiter than the Bachelor, it's a product of the time period.

Thundercrack85 is offline   Reply With Quote