The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 08-09-2011, 06:09 PM   #526
Sherlock Holmes
Banned User

Default Re: Laurence Fishburne IS Perry White in The Man of Steel

Sorry but I just can't wait to see what he looks like in character. You know he's going to be a hard ass. Good casting.

Sherlock Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:10 PM   #527
Mike22
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenage Batman View Post
Well if you're astounded now then wait till I explain in detail.

Zod.

Zod being the villian makes me just go wtf we get another already seen character. Before it was reveled who the villian would be I was like a kid turing Christmas time holding a present. Wondering what's inside? Who is it going to be? Bizarro? Brainiac? Mxyzptlk!?! Imagine how let down I was when I found out it was Zod. A villian I find to be overated in the first place (but that's whole different thing). It really was like getting socks for Christmas.
Nolan is one of the writers, it was kinda assumed even when we knew nothing about the movie that Zod was the likely villain. Nolan doesn't stray to far from realistic looking villains. There was really very small chances that we'd be seeing Brainiac or Darkseid, at least in the first movie.

All I'm saying is, give it a chance, it might surprise you.
Quote:
The Picture.

When I saw the picture I felt like we are not going in the right direction. I get a dark vibe from this picture and there should not be a dark Superman movie. Batman is a dark character not Superman. I don't like how the costume looks and call me old fashion but Superman should have the spit curl.
The picture, the lighting, that pose and the apparent "dark" look is all as intentional as can be. They're just trying to get the fans to adjust to the lack of trunks.That blue is not as dark as it appears.
In the sun it'll look quite bright I'm sure.
Quote:
Laurence Fishburne as Perry White.

This just feels like they're just trying to do a Nick Fury/Sam Jackson thing to me. I don't really mind when they change sex,race, or skin color in movies or tv shows. But this time I don't like it. This really is the least bothersome of the three but it was enough for me to decide not to go watch.
Didn't know what to think of this myself at first either, because while I like Fishburne and think he's a terrific actor, I would have preferred Perry to be white. But really, this is a non issue. I'm watching for Superman, not Perry and Fishburne will do a great job anyway. I'll bet anything that most people will walk out of that theatre loving the guy.

Mike22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:01 PM   #528
LostSon88
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxette View Post
they shouldn't cast a black guy playing a white guy's character. period. heck, even his name perry white suggests that he's white!!
Good lord...

As far as LF as Perry, to be honest, i'm conflicted.

On one hand I have absoutely NO PROBLEM with him as Perry. He's a good actor and it's certainly a bold direction to take the character.

However having said that, I gotta be honest and say that if it were any other character...say if they cast Lex or General Lane or any other character that is traditionally 'white', i'd probably have some issues with it.

Its a double standard I know. But its honest.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:04 PM   #529
LostSon88
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenage Batman View Post
And strike three I'm out of being interested with this movie.
We'll see you at the midnight show...

Old 08-09-2011, 07:29 PM   #530
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

He's going to channel all that anger regarding Montana into this character, so it was actually a blessing in disguise.

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:32 AM   #531
Kal-El.9859
Life Found A Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostSon88 View Post
We'll see you at the midnight show...
of course he'll be there...

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Kal-El.9859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:50 AM   #532
Shazam
Side-Kick

Denzel Washington for Commissioner Gordon!! Gordon is basically the Perry White of the Batman books!

A character's history doesn't matter anymore! Hippolyta should be Angela Bassett, if they ever get around to making a Wonder Woman flick! Just as long as they are FINE ACTORS, nothing else matters! Hey! throw in Forrest Whittaker as Zeus the GREEK god! Because you know that Greek gods (like Norse gods) had black skin. Right? They switched Heimadall out right? And Elba did a super job! Whittaker was great in Last King Of Scotland!

Shucks....Alfred Pennyworth??? That simply screams Ving Rhames!! What do you think? Outstanding performer!! Who says Alfred has to be an old white Brit, just because he's been that for 70 years??? Pish Posh!!

Look....I think many on these boards who are dogging out those who are objecting to this are making a category mistake.

No one is saying that Fishburne or any of the ones I just mentioned ARE NOT GREAT AT THEIR CRAFT!

A "No" vote to this move, is not a vote against black actors! It's a vote FOR staying true to the character and his back story. Do these black actors make it work? Yes. But a white actor could, too. And should.....if that character is already white.

Can you imagine the hue and cry if War Machine had not been Don Cheadle or another black man? But instead this guy??

...or fill in the blank......

And deservedly so....people should have been unset if that had happened.

Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:47 AM   #533
Kal-El.9859
Life Found A Way

I don't think it's black or white...people threw hissy fits when they got a new Freddy Kruger, a new Pinhead and so on and so forth...I think Fishburne will be great as Perry

Old 08-10-2011, 11:22 AM   #534
HighFivingMF
Welp.

There's a new Pinhead?

Old 08-10-2011, 11:27 AM   #535
Lobo
Mmhmmm him

I think Fish will be great in the part, but watching the White Collar summer finale last night does make me wish Beau Bridges would have been Perry.

<o>\o/<o>\o/<o>\o/
Lobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 02:05 PM   #536
Shazam
Side-Kick

Again....no one is saying he won't do a good job! But Perry white is caucasian! There is nothing wrong with that. Capt. Stacy is white.
Joe Robertson is black. Sam Wilson is black.

They are jacking with the mythos.....a long established one.

Old 08-10-2011, 02:11 PM   #537
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Nick Fury is white. Superman is an alien. Joker is American. Batman is American. Ra's Al Ghul is Arabian. Zod is an alien. Why mess with that?

Llama_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:24 PM   #538
roxette
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
Nick Fury is white. Superman is an alien. Joker is American. Batman is American. Ra's Al Ghul is Arabian. Zod is an alien. Why mess with that?
this guy can explain all --> Sherlock Holmes just ask him

roxette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:30 PM   #539
Kal-El.9859
Life Found A Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFivingMF View Post
There's a new Pinhead?
yup...

Old 08-10-2011, 11:36 PM   #540
Puckenstein
JETPACKS ON

Maybe he'll do a reverse Kirk Lazarus for all you diehards out there.

Puckenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:53 PM   #541
Shazam
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxette View Post
this guy can explain all --> Sherlock Holmes just ask him

Why should Sherlock be a white Brit??

Old 08-11-2011, 08:54 PM   #542
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El.9859 View Post
yup...
Who?

Old 08-11-2011, 11:16 PM   #543
Kal-El.9859
Life Found A Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFivingMF View Post
Who?
Stephan Smith Collins

Old 08-11-2011, 11:20 PM   #544
Eddie Dean
I Am Not Nice

Denzel would make a great Gordon.

Eddie Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:36 PM   #545
Superman_200
Superman

I said if it was anyone other than Bruce McGill I'd be disappointed with the choice. My second choice was Harvey Keitel. That is how I picture Perry White. Older, heavy set, strong, and I always pictured him as an older white man. I never pictured Laurence Fishburne as Perry White.

I think that more importantly reveals the whole tone of the movie. I really can not picture Laurence Fishburne spouting off cheesy lines or doing campy scenes hamming it up. I could see Amy Adams doing that, but I can't see Diane Lane doing it, or Russell Crowe. So I think that this choice for Perry most importantly should tell everyone about the tone of the movie.

Superman_200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:00 PM   #546
Doc Samson
Superhero Psychiatrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Denzel Washington for Commissioner Gordon!! Gordon is basically the Perry White of the Batman books!

A character's history doesn't matter anymore! Hippolyta should be Angela Bassett, if they ever get around to making a Wonder Woman flick! Just as long as they are FINE ACTORS, nothing else matters! Hey! throw in Forrest Whittaker as Zeus the GREEK god! Because you know that Greek gods (like Norse gods) had black skin. Right? They switched Heimadall out right? And Elba did a super job! Whittaker was great in Last King Of Scotland!

Shucks....Alfred Pennyworth??? That simply screams Ving Rhames!! What do you think? Outstanding performer!! Who says Alfred has to be an old white Brit, just because he's been that for 70 years??? Pish Posh!!

Look....I think many on these boards who are dogging out those who are objecting to this are making a category mistake.

No one is saying that Fishburne or any of the ones I just mentioned ARE NOT GREAT AT THEIR CRAFT!

A "No" vote to this move, is not a vote against black actors! It's a vote FOR staying true to the character and his back story. Do these black actors make it work? Yes. But a white actor could, too. And should.....if that character is already white.

Can you imagine the hue and cry if War Machine had not been Don Cheadle or another black man? But instead this guy??

...or fill in the blank......

And deservedly so....people should have been unset if that had happened.
I think this is a slight overreaction. And let's be clear, if Superman himself was black or spanish, I might share your point of view. But I would hope Perry White being white or black isn't all it takes to ruin this movie. If that's the case, I think there would be more pressing issues to worry about...

"I don't give a **** what you say. If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, 'Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations,' Well, **** you. Because I don't play for your ******* approval. I play for my own love and enjoyment of the game. And to win. That's what I play for."
- Kobe Bryant

"As of right now, I don't know what he do good, cause what may work on another fighter is not gonna work on me."

- Floyd Mayweather
Doc Samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:14 PM   #547
The Shield
It's really Happening!

So I was watching The Matrix Reloaded and realized that Perry White here shared some very good camera time with General Swanwick played by Henry Lennix:

They didn't exactly like each other in the movie and it hit me how good they are as actors. I'm looking forward to seeing them in a Superman movie. Such a talented cast. I really wish that this script is written intelligently and creatively. Something this cast can really sink their teeth into and show off their amazing talents for this film.

All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward. ~Ellen Glasgow

Last edited by The Shield; 10-22-2012 at 02:21 PM.
The Shield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:26 PM   #548
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

I'm exited to see both too. I'm kinda hoping/thinking that Swanwick will be an ally to Superman trying his best to prevent chaos and war, but wont hesitate to put a threat down as well. Here's hoping for some colorful performances from both.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:40 PM   #549
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Why should Sherlock be a white Brit??
There have been as many different adaptations of Sherlock that I don't think many would bat an eyelid.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
The Infernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:43 PM   #550
superhero#1
Side-Kick

Yea I think both will be amazing.I think General Swanwick may come face to face with zod.After all zod have to show him who the real General is.

superhero#1 is offline   Reply With Quote