The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Misc. and Multiplatform Games

Old 09-05-2011, 12:00 PM   #51
RED_Rider
Soul Reaver

Default Re: Borderlands 2

LOOOOVEEEE Dual wielding ability / Skill. The ones in original were mostly simple stat based stuff or cliched buffs but this one is both fun AND suitable for a game based on guns. I just hope other characters have their own super unique and awesome weapons because right now, Gunzerker is the only character I wanna play.

Also, the last scene of the video is awesomely Duke-Nukemish.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:12 PM   #52
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

What was stat based or buffed about being able to turn invisible and shoot out shockwaves, or use a deadly bird? I thought the abilities were still pretty cool. If anything dual weilding is a buff, since it's essentially only doubling what you were already doing with one gun.

Still cool though, obviously.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:38 AM   #53
RED_Rider
Soul Reaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvieboy17 View Post
What was stat based or buffed about being able to turn invisible and shoot out shockwaves, or use a deadly bird? I thought the abilities were still pretty cool. If anything dual weilding is a buff, since it's essentially only doubling what you were already doing with one gun.
I did say mostly but even the bird launch or shockwaves were pretty tame ones. They felt like standard controlled RPG special attacks. Powers in a fun action based game have to be on the action side and not simple wave or bird creature summon.
This dual wield thing could be a game breaker in a first person action RPG and that's why it's AWESOME. Unique powers have to be big and epic. Like getting a BFG in Doom.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:31 AM   #54
Why Are You Crouching Spock?
Banned User

Quote:

Still cool though, obviously.
I thought the ability's were almost pointless. aAmost all the time of my play though barely a single person used them. Just fairly mindless shooting in which you just happened to be with another player. I played something like 10 hourds with Corp and I can honestly say if he was or wasn't there, it would have made 0% diffrence. The gameplay experience would be the exact same. Making enemys a higher level and "better loot" isn't enough.

Compare that to something like Guild Wars were you are limited to 8 skills with 6 other players, every skill counts and can act as a game changer. It's a far superior cooperative game as (funnily enough) you need to co-operate, the soup of skills compliment each other.

The other thing as well that Guild Wars does better is accesbility. The game has hundreds of skills but only allows you to use 8 at a time. It's a streamlined experience that requries some basic level of thinking without streamlining it to the point of Borderlands that the RPG mechanics are pretty much a gimmick tacked on.

You could just remove all the player skills in this game, all the weapons, all the specific class builds, just keeping Borderlands levels and enemys the way they are and it would probably make a tiny incremental diffrence to the game. If you took a single class out of Team Fortress 2, you'd have a broken game. If you pick a set of skills over another in Dues Ex, there are entire sections you can miss out on. In Borderlands skills just border (hu-hu) on irrelevant.

You can blame it on dumbing down for the sake of sales or "not wanting to get in the way of shooting" but even when you look at left4dead, the most basic rudimentary shooter you can imagine, which is essentially, a casual game, it does a far better job of having you depended on other players. Simply by adding monsters that can completely incapacitate your ability to fight back and throwing swarms of enemy at once a single player can't overcome. It's intuitively (like Team Fortress 2) apart of the gameplay.

So yea, Borderlands 2, how about a Co-OP game that requires Co-OP and maybe a few skills that do something usefull once and a while?

Last edited by Why Are You Crouching Spock?; 09-06-2011 at 08:34 AM.
Why Are You Crouching Spock? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 01:07 PM   #55
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

Lol I didn't realise the addition of dual wielding was a new trend for game sequels :P

Old 12-29-2011, 02:23 PM   #56
zenith16
Side-Kick

Borderlands 2 Gunzerker profiled, Siren gameplay will be 'very, very different'

We saw the new Gunzerker class in the Borderlands 2 teaser trailer released way back in August, and Gearbox has shared a little more information about just how the gun-wielding brute will work. The class is a dual-wielder of weapons, but can only bring out two guns for a limited amount of time, which means you'll have to make tough decisions about which guns to pull out and when. Combine an electric machine gun with a flaming shotgun to drop shields and do flame damage? Sure, why not!

There are three skill trees in the class: One has skills like "Yippe Ki Yay," which extend your berzerk mode when you make a kill. The second is more of a tank tree, with abilities that boost your heath and offer a taunt to drive enemies to attack you (instead of weaker teammates). Finally, there's a tree called "Gun Lust" that seems targeted more towards solo play, with vampiric attacks and special skills available, like one that grants more damage to the last bullet in a clip, or another that provides extra shots with no ammo cost.

Gearbox has also confirmed that the Siren class will return to the game, but says it won't necessarily be a phasewalker like last time. Instead, the gameplay will be "very, very different and very, very new," according to lead writer Anthony Burch. That sounds ... ominous, no? Maybe she'll take a tip from the Dragonborn and have some singing attacks.

Source: IGN

zenith16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:15 PM   #57
Soapy
It's happening again...

I hope the siren power will be somewhat similar in spirit to the phasewalk from the first game, I really liked it.

Soapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:25 PM   #58
zenith16
Side-Kick

News
Here’s Your Borderlands 2 Lilith Model, In The Flesh

3:30PM Today | Luke Plunkett

Gearbox’s long and no-doubt exhaustive search for an attractive young woman who looks like an attractive video game woman is over. More

she's from down under too.
enjoy the video and discussions in session.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:36 PM   #59
StrainedEyes
All the way up it!

I hope they reveal another class soon.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:36 PM   #60
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

New Interview

http://www.nowgamer.com/features/123...interview.html

Some old stuff and some new stuff. The ability to duel co-op partners for loot sounds awesome :P

Old 02-22-2012, 08:27 AM   #61
Heisenberg
I Am The Danger

Release Date Reveal Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCWJU...eature=channel

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

I loved the first game. Wub

Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:27 AM   #62
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/n...ease-Date.html
Quote:
New Borderlands 2 Trailer Drops With a Release Date
Gird your loins for a new era of looting and shooting, as Borderlands 2 will be coming this September, with pre-orders garnering access to the Borderlands 2 'Premiere Club', offering a whole raft of additional DLC. This includes a bunch of extra guns and fortune-boosting loot.
Should you choose to pre-order, the Premiere Club will give you the Gearbox Gun Pack with a collection of unique weapons for kickstarting your new journey through Pandora in style. You'll also get the Golden Key that unlocks a rare item in the mysterious Golden Sanctuary Loot Chest in Borderlands 2. And finally, Premiere Club access will also get you the Vault Hunter's Relic that boosts your gear-hunting fortune, whether you're playing alone or with three buddies in 4-player co-op.
Borderlands 2 will be launching on September 18th in North America and on September 21st in Europe. Check out the new trailer below for more loot and shoot action (and a Claptrap dance for your amusement). Those 87 billion guns, just got bazzillionder and there's more wub wub too. Their words, not ours...
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 02-22-2012, 08:32 AM   #63
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
I loved the first game. Wub
Exactly same time lol, nice

I've owned the 1st game for ages but been waiting for a good mate (who only just got back into gaming) to play it co-op. Every one of my friends who's played it says it's great and have bought all DLCs & completed absolutely everything in the game. Looking forward to playing 1 & 2 back to back.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:40 AM   #64
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

Hey Sal, Arseface, Cappwood and I were waiting to play it all back to back with 2 as well, try and 100% all the cheevos too. Let me know if you're interested and maybe we can power through it all. Obviously, only one person per character... Gotta do it right, yo :P

Old 02-22-2012, 08:40 AM   #65
Heisenberg
I Am The Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Exactly same time lol, nice

I've owned the 1st game for ages but been waiting for a good mate (who only just got back into gaming) to play it co-op. Every one of my friends who's played it says it's great and have bought all DLCs & completed absolutely everything in the game. Looking forward to playing 1 & 2 back to back.
Lol, nice one. It really is an amazing game, start to finish, including all DLC. I've played through it multiple times with all characters. This one looks to have improved on just about all of it too.

Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:59 AM   #66
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK

Quote:
Hey Sal, Arseface, Cappwood and I were waiting to play it all back to back with 2 as well, try and 100% all the cheevos too. Let me know if you're interested and maybe we can power through it all. Obviously, only one person per character... Gotta do it right, yo :P
Yeah, sure..that sounds great. I didn't even know it was 4 player co-op. Looking forward to it, cheers.

I'm playing quite a few major franchises all games back to back in the next few months (starting with Arkham, Assassin's Creed & Mass Effect)..really fun way of doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
Lol, nice one. It really is an amazing game, start to finish, including all DLC. I've played through it multiple times with all characters. This one looks to have improved on just about all of it too.
The first one seems to have been a sleeper hit & this one is almost guaranteed to make money so they can afford to pull out all the stops & improve in all areas. Can't wait.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:18 AM   #67
StrainedEyes
All the way up it!

Quote:
Four soldiers is the only right way.

I have a level 69 character on PS3 and recently bought it again for 360 and am in the 40s on playthrough 2. Borderlands is probably my favorite game this gen, it's fantastic! The only bummer is the Mad Moxxi DLC, but you can get 2 skill points out of it so it's ok, just super boring and tedious. 1 to 3 hour long wave based arenas, where you don't gain experience or weapon efficiency, is a complete bummer. The other 3 DLC packs are awesome, though.

I can't wait for 2.

Last edited by StrainedEyes; 02-22-2012 at 09:32 AM.
StrainedEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:32 AM   #68
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

What do you mean you don't get experience? I always thought you do.

And no way man, 4 unique characters is the right way to play it. Get the full range of character team buffs :P

Old 02-22-2012, 09:42 AM   #69
StrainedEyes
All the way up it!

Quote:
What do you mean you don't get experience? I always thought you do.

And no way man, 4 unique characters is the right way to play it. Get the full range of character team buffs :P
During the Mad Moxxi DLC's arena combat (which is the entirety of the DLC), you don't gain experience and you don't gain weapon proficiency. They are just combat for combat's sake, and it's not super fun. You get a few weapon drops after each round but I never found them to be that good. They are also too long, the three minor arenas take about an hour each, and the three major arenas take like 3 hours each. You gain 1 skill point per playthrough if you complete all the minor ones, but the only reason to complete the major set is for Achievements. There are worse ways to spend 12+ hours of your life, but Mad Moxxi is definitely the lowpoint of Borderlands.

The major benefit that the Mad Moxxi DLC adds is a bank that you can store weapons/items in, which is extremely useful.

The Soldier can provide team health regeneration and ammo regeneration, that's all you need to destroy everything . From my time with the other characters, the only other one I liked is the Siren with her cool Phasewalk ability. I didn't really care for the other two.

Last edited by StrainedEyes; 02-22-2012 at 11:04 AM.
StrainedEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:26 PM   #70
zenith16
Side-Kick

hehe alright get down clap trap.

So there's two other new characters now another soldier like Roland and a melee class, ninja dude. well I guess the ninja's mine, when I play with my buddies for this game. thev latter gonna be odd though since the games mostly about the guns.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:34 PM   #71
jacobed
Banned User

The ninja is the sniper class and only uses its sword during its special attack

jacobed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:36 PM   #72
StrainedEyes
All the way up it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith16 View Post
hehe alright get down clap trap.

So there's two other new characters now another soldier like Roland and a melee class, ninja dude. well I guess the ninja's mine, when I play with my buddies for this game. thev latter gonna be odd though since the games mostly about the guns.
That montage was showing off their special ability (Gunzerker, the turret, the siren's grab ability) so I'm pretty sure the melee sword kills are only when you use Zero's ability, similar to Brick's fist pounding from the first game.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:48 PM   #73
zenith16
Side-Kick

oh that Explains it all. lol well I didn't see a rifle on him so that threw me off. Thank you all for the clarification.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:08 PM   #74
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

http://au.xbox360.ign.com/articles/121/1219333p1.html

Maya: The Siren

Old 02-23-2012, 03:09 PM   #75
Why Are You Crouching Spock?
Banned User

She looks like something from Xmen first class.

Why Are You Crouching Spock? is offline   Reply With Quote