The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 12:27 PM   #101
antsman41
Darkness... yeah.

Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - - Part 11

It's pretty cool how Bale resembles Lee's Hush Bruce a lot, and now Cavill resembles Lee's For Tomorrow Kal-El a lot...

I N T E R S T E L L A R
Old 08-04-2011, 12:27 PM   #102
DorkyFresh
Sum Dum Goy

honestly not too crazy about the costume. it certainly looks cool, but after calming down from the initial hype i've got a few gripes.

first, i'm disappointed with the shield. i thought they were trying to make a more MODERN Superman but they went with a dated design. plus it would've looked better if it were just a plain shield instead of a textured one. i'm also pretty upset that he has no trunks. i'll need to see a better picture to see how he looks while he's standing upright but i can't imagine it would look that great. his boots are kind of plain also. i was hoping for something a little more busy but they look okay.

that being said the suit definitely has it's strengths...the texture definitely stands outs much more than in SR which is a huge plus. i LOOOOVE the cape. it looks FANTASTIC!!! and i really dig how the ends of his sleeves twist at the wrists, giving him a more muscular look while remaining classy. also, even though the colors are washed out, i can already tell that they're better than the SR's suit's colors.

all in all, i wouldn't say that they hit it out of the park but they've secured 2nd base....at least with this picture. future pictures will determine whether or not they'll be able to get to 3rd.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:27 PM   #103
antsman41
Darkness... yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGHulk View Post
There's no hair S curl, is anyone else missing that?
Good, spit-curl was full of cheese...

I N T E R S T E L L A R
Old 08-04-2011, 12:28 PM   #104
Wheels
HR Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes View Post
I hope he can look kind too. Lol if he looked at a kid like that. The kid would piss his pants.
Oh absolutely, but I'm tired of non fans saying he's a wuss.

Quote:
Because I'm a total mark and the first words I ever spoke when I came out of my mother's wound, was that one day, I was going to be the WCW Champion.
-- Vince Russo
Old 08-04-2011, 12:30 PM   #105
RadioSha
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleman View Post
RadioSha said it in the other thread and now I'm starting to get worried. DOES HE HAVE NO EYEBROWS??? Seriously, someone tell me I'm seeing things.
Or not seeing things

But yea, at first I thought he had no eyebrows. But I think he has them, but they are thinning and in a miniscule level. I personally love the alien/innocent appearance of Superman

It's just that HAIRRRRRR, ugh man

Old 08-04-2011, 12:30 PM   #106
Sherlock Holmes
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntMan View Post
Oh absolutely, but I'm tired of non fans saying he's a wuss.
I think that's going to change after this film.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:31 PM   #107
sepharih
Resident Censor Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkyFresh View Post
honestly not too crazy about the costume. it certainly looks cool, but after calming down from the initial hype i've got a few gripes.

first, i'm disappointed with the shield. i thought they were trying to make a more MODERN Superman but they went with a dated design. plus it would've looked better if it were just a plain shield instead of a textured one. i'm also pretty upset that he has no trunks. i'll need to see a better picture to see how he looks while he's standing upright but i can't imagine it would look that great. his boots are kind of plain also. i was hoping for something a little more busy but they look okay.

that being said the suit definitely has it's strengths...the texture definitely stands outs much more than in SR which is a huge plus. i LOOOOVE the cape. it looks FANTASTIC!!! and i really dig how the ends of his sleeves twist at the wrists, giving him a more muscular look while remaining classy. also, even though the colors are washed out, i can already tell that they're better than the SR's suit's colors.

all in all, i wouldn't say that they hit it out of the park but they've secured 2nd base....at least with this picture. future pictures will determine whether or not they'll be able to get to 3rd.

Pretty much echoes all my thoughts.....I'm with you on everything. I don't know if I'm going to be able to get used to that \S/.
I do agree that the cape looks fantastic....beautifully full and flowing....the only issue I have with it is the contrast between the material of it and the suit....but oh well.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:32 PM   #108
verisimilitude
"Great Shades of Elvis"

Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - Part 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
THANK. YOU. GOD.

Finally, a Super suit I can recognise as SUPERMAN. BIG S. NICE COLOURS AND TEXTURE. INSTANTLY CLASSIC.

GREAT CAPE ATTACHEMENT. NO CLUNKY SHOES.

My only gripes are the hair. He looks 50. His hair looked awesome at SDCC why couldn't they just go with that? Also is that a new S?

But most importantly ... have they got rid of the undies... and what the hell is that on the side of his leg....another spiderman track suit????

<V>

Old 08-04-2011, 12:32 PM   #109
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!

Looking back at the suit after some time to let the shock sink in, it's still just as awesome as when I first saw it. Really like the costume. The texture looks suitably alien, which is a good effect.

Also, I don't know if it makes sense, but as much as I liked Routh and thought his costume was fine, as a first photo reveal I like this better. The first photo of Routh as Superman back in 2005 or whenever relied on familiarity. The suit (to me at least) didn't seem like too radical a departure from the old movie look, and his pose seemed designed to recall Christopher Reeve. Cavill's pic here seems to be creating a whole new visual language for big screen Superman. It shows power, danger and (as much as a straight male can say this) quite a bit of sexiness. It's Superman as alpha male. And while the Routh costume seemed to be about reassuring fans that this wouldn't be too different from the Donner films, this feels a lot more like "Here's our distinct, new vision of Superman for the 21st Century."

And check out my new comic, AND THEN EMILY WAS GONE!

And listen to my slick Scottish voice on The Off-Panel Podcast!
Old 08-04-2011, 12:34 PM   #110
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!

Also... I'm happy about the overall trend of positivity in response to the costume thus far. If the biggest gripe Those Who Must Complain can come up is the shape of Cavill's hair, then I think we're in for relatively smooth sailing.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:34 PM   #111
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes View Post
I hope he can look kind too. Lol if he looked at a kid like that. The kid would piss his pants.
I'm sure he can. He looks intimidating here, tearing open a bank vault, as he should, and I am so glad his eyes aren't glowing red.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:34 PM   #112
SuperDaniel
Banned User

Its just a seam on the leg. THERE IS CLEARLY NO RED IN THE LEG. It is similar to the Earth-One suit.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:35 PM   #113
hulk24
Side-Kick

I think it will end up looking something like this:

Old 08-04-2011, 12:36 PM   #114
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDaniel View Post
Its just a seam on the leg. THERE IS CLEARLY NO RED IN THE LEG. It is similar to the Earth-One suit.
Or to the DCnU suit, once the artists inevitably give up on drawing it like armor.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:38 PM   #115
Robin91939
Master Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkyFresh View Post

Agreeing with much of what you said here.

My main compliment here is Cavil himself. He looks great. He looks jacked. Shoulders are huge and the suit allows veins to show in his biceps through the suit...something the Superman Returns suit wouldn't allow.

What I don't like is the overall rubbery/texture of the suit. Although if they approach it as a Kryptonian fabric I can accept it and get used to it.

I do, however, like the shield design. I wasn't looking for a "Superman Lives" type or jagged "modern" looking shield. Why with a classic? One of the most recognizable symbols in the world is perfect as is?

The overall vibe of the picture is a bit strange to me. It looks pretty dark and a little stylized. And the stylized look is what I'm worried about with Snyder...I don't want it over done. The good thing, however, is that this Superman looks like he can and will fight.

-R

Old 08-04-2011, 12:38 PM   #116
SuperDaniel
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulk24 View Post
I think it will end up looking something like this:
There's no red in the leg, though.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:39 PM   #117
hulk24
Side-Kick

Quote:
this better?

Old 08-04-2011, 12:41 PM   #118
SuperDaniel
Banned User

I think its something like that, yeah.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:42 PM   #119
STC
Side-Kick

Nice!!! Suit looks awesome. I love the darker blue!! I'm suprised you guys arnt saying the blue is too dark, it looks pretty dark.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:46 PM   #120
RoughNTumble
i m not desperate

They made the mistake that countless fan-manippers made, which is taking away the trunks. Suit's gonna look strange when he's standing up.

Make mine DC, if you please.

every1 says im 2 aloof but idc
Old 08-04-2011, 12:46 PM   #121
hulk24
Side-Kick

I wonder where is he going to hide that huge cape once he's clark lol

Old 08-04-2011, 12:47 PM   #122
GreenKToo
In the fire

I'm still loving it, even after going back and staring at it.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:51 PM   #123
Krumm
Beer Snob

Quote:
It looks like it could be red to me. It's very similar to the color of the boot.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:56 PM   #124
camp Blood
For your health!

I think it's red on his thighs

http://www.zazzle.com/toxicavenger/tshirts

Old 08-04-2011, 12:57 PM   #125
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Just showed it to my housemate who doesn't give two hoots about Superman but occasionally humours me.

Showed her the SR suit reveal first, then the MOS one. Loved her response.

'Yeah if someone said to me 'which movie would you rather go and see', i'd definitely go with the new one over the care bear version'

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Closed Thread