Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 09:46 PM   #51
ElDuderino
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - - - Part 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sage View Post
Oh? I'm a Superman fan, and I like the briefs but wouldn't mind them not being on this suit if that's how it'll turn out. Does that make me ashamed of Superman?
You're ashamed and you like the Nic Cage costume, and YOU'LL LIKE IT!

Or not.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:46 PM   #52
SuperAl
Superman's back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
SOME people like it. Mostly deconstructionists who are ashamed of the classic costume, ashamed of comics, and ashamed of themselves for being comics fans. And most of those people would like any piece of crap they designed no matter how bad it looked. It could be the Nic Cage costume and most people who hate the classic would like and defend it. Not that this costume isn't vastly superior to that joke of a suit.

As I said, I rank this costume and the Superman: Returns costume about the same. The SR suit had the extra \S/ on the belt and the t-shirt collar that looked bad; this suit lacks the trunks and so will look like a huge blue blob. SR is a 6/10, this costume is a 6/10. The Reeve costume was a 10/10 for it's time; it's still better than either of these. I'd give it a 7/10 if they had just reused it; a little out-of date material wise, but at least it's accurate to the design of Joe Shuster, who create Superman's costume.

And by the way, most of the general public reaction to this costume is along the lines of: "the cape's too long", "he looks too menacing", "Christopher Reeve forever!" and "where's his red shorts?" So yes, people like it. People who are ashamed of Superman and of being Superman fans, that is.
so if we like anything other than classic we are ashamed to be fans lol funny guy

Old 08-04-2011, 09:47 PM   #53
Kurosawa
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDuderino View Post
Trust me, there's no thought process involved when someone says "I don't like them doing X, so they can't do X!!!"

He provides no reasoning whatsoever for his opinion. Nor does he even couch it as an opinion. It was purely a statement: "You can't do that!"
You can't be saying this about me. Every statement I make I back up my opinions with the reasoning behind them. You don't have to agree, but I do explain WHY I feel the way I do.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:48 PM   #54
shamon
Side-Kick

I like it now the only problem is the way his hair is shown but I'm guessing that just a promo shot . I like how he don't look a thing like Christopher reeve also he has the big s on his chest again which is good and a longer cape .

Old 08-04-2011, 09:48 PM   #55
Nathman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp Blood View Post
based on the nathman sketch and some other ideas i saw

Yep, that's definitely along the lines of what I'm 99% certain the belt area looks like and if so then it looks great, it's the perfect way to remove the underwear but still keep the break in the blue. The bottom half I'm less sure, much harder to tell than the top half from the original picture.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:48 PM   #56
ElDuderino
Side-Kick

Quote:
You can't be saying this about me. Every statement I make I back up my opinions with the reasoning behind them. You don't have to agree, but I do explain WHY I feel the way I do.
Sorry, you did not provide any explanation for the statement with which I took issue. You may think you did, but you didn't.

And, by the way, "I don't like it" isn't reason or explanation. It's fine if that's your opinion, but it's not reasoning or explanation.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:48 PM   #57
GreenKToo
In the fire

The cape is great. It looks like it could flow in a breeze instead of hiding you in a shower.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:50 PM   #58
camp Blood
For your health!

glad you like it nathman cause i'm pretty sure (and hope) your right

http://www.zazzle.com/toxicavenger/tshirts

Old 08-04-2011, 09:51 PM   #59
Saint
The Devil's Robot

I really hope the belt isn't red, if it's there at all. That would really mess up the costume for me. Since we're trunkless, I figure the Flyby "belt" (the separated yellow orbs) might work, or a black belt with a yellow buckle might work. There are some other alternatives, too--I just really don't want to see a red belt with a yellow buckle.

Also? Hilarious this, hilarious that, I win and you lose.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:51 PM   #60
SuperAl
Superman's back!

The cape reminds me of the material they used in 300 which had some amazing shots. I am glad they went with a long cape instead of knee length.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:51 PM   #61
sethypants
Banned User

Loving this costume doesn't automatically make me ashamed to be a superman fan. I love supes and always will, the only difference is that I embrace change, changes that are for the better.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:53 PM   #62
bunk
superhero fan

This seems technically more faithful than the SR suit, even without the trunks. The SR suit made a mess of the cape attachment, boots, belt and colors. I really hope there's a symbol on the back of that cape though.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:54 PM   #63
Dark Knight
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelus View Post
Is hysterical how some keep whining despite this suit being closer to the classic than SR, even sans trunks! The cape, the \S/, the belt, the boots... and Cavill looks more like Superman, a more powerful one. And it looks better than the new Spiderman suit for sure, with its horrible shoes and red lines down the legs.

Nolan's Batman suit is less faithful to the source material and most people don't care. Thor's suit was different too and it worked perfectly.
Some just need to relax instead of expecting everything to be 100% like the comics.

Exactly!

It's just fanboys being fanboys again. The same ol same ol....nonsense.

The suit has the classic look and I love the S on the chest, love the texture and the cape looks sweet! Like I said earlier, this sucker is 10 times better than that crappy SR suit Routh wore. I like that Snyder didn't go with the high collared turtleneck look either! Big ups for that.

This is a good promotional shot of Cavill in the suit. Another positive sign for this film to go alongside the solid casting.

Last edited by Dark Knight; 08-04-2011 at 09:58 PM.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:54 PM   #64
camp Blood
For your health!

symbol on the cape would be awesome!

Old 08-04-2011, 09:55 PM   #65
DorkyFresh
Sum Dum Goy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDuderino View Post
Trust me
no thanks...i've seen your posts.

Quote:
Trust me, there's no thought process involved when someone says "I don't like them doing X, so they can't do X!!!"
i can also see that there was no thought process coming up with that equation.

Quote:
He provides no reasoning whatsoever for his opinion. Nor does he even couch it as an opinion. It was purely a statement: "You can't do that!"
granted, Kurosawa DOES often speak as if his opinions are facts....he DOES give reasoning for his opinions even if they are pretty extreme at times, but i guess they're easy to ignore if they're not to your liking.

Last edited by DorkyFresh; 08-04-2011 at 09:58 PM.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:55 PM   #66
sepharih
Resident Censor Hater

Like I said before though, not without criticism:

Quote:
SOME people like it. Mostly deconstructionists who are ashamed of the classic costume, ashamed of comics, and ashamed of themselves for being comics fans.
Yes...you found me out. I am so ashamed of being a comic book fan I own a multitude of comicbook related shirts I wear on a regular basis, have comic books proudly displayed on my bookshelf at home, keep comic book character action figures on my desk, and regularly discuss comic books on forums and with anyone I can find to discuss the subject with (much fewer than I would like). Maybe the world will never now my shame.

The only thing I am EVER ashamed of when it comes to comics as a whole, occasionally, is comic fans.

Quote:
As I said, I rank this costume and the Superman: Returns costume about the same. The SR suit had the extra \S/ on the belt and the t-shirt collar that looked bad; this suit lacks the trunks and so will look like a huge blue blob. SR is a 6/10, this costume is a 6/10. The Reeve costume was a 10/10 for it's time; it's still better than either of these. I'd give it a 7/10 if they had just reused it; a little out-of date material wise, but at least it's accurate to the design of Joe Shuster, who create Superman's costume.
IE, accuracy to the source material trumps everything.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:55 PM   #67
Kurosawa
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAl View Post
so if we like anything other than classic we are ashamed to be fans lol funny guy
Why do you want them gone, and what do you propose to replace them with?

If you just take the trunks off the classic costume, then it looks like Superman forgot to put on his shorts. It looks incomplete. If you want them replace because they look "silly" or "old-fashioned", then you don't get Superman, because he is SUPPOSED to be old-fashioned. So why would you want them gone? All I can see is either

1) Smartasses who have no respect for superheroes in general and Superman in particular make fun of them (thus inducing your shame)
or
2) You think the costume would look better without them, in which case you have bad taste in costume design.

By the wa , the "you" in these statements is NOT you personally, it is anyone who wants the trunks gone..

I want to make this clear that this is NOTHING personal.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:55 PM   #68
Saint
The Devil's Robot

Now that I think about it, I probably would have gone with a shorter cape (Young Justice length), but that's not a big deal at all considering how fantastic the cape looks.

Also? Hilarious this, hilarious that, I win and you lose.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:57 PM   #69
The Sage
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

The cape go down to his ankles when he stands up completely?

Last edited by The Sage; 08-04-2011 at 10:33 PM.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:57 PM   #70
Godzilla2014
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
SOME people like it. Mostly deconstructionists who are ashamed of the classic costume, ashamed of comics, and ashamed of themselves for being comics fans. And most of those people would like any piece of crap they designed no matter how bad it looked. It could be the Nic Cage costume and most people who hate the classic would like and defend it. Not that this costume isn't vastly superior to that joke of a suit.

And by the way, most of the general public reaction to this costume is along the lines of: "the cape's too long", "he looks too menacing", "Christopher Reeve forever!" and "where's his red shorts?" So yes, people like it. People who are ashamed of Superman and of being Superman fans, that is.
Again with the misuse of the term, "deconstructionist". Are you sure you don't mean, "iconoclast" or "revisionist", or something else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sage View Post
Oh? I'm a Superman fan, and I like the briefs but wouldn't mind them not being on this suit if that's how it'll turn out. Does that make me ashamed of Superman?
Same here.

This post was brought to you by Godzilla.

http://i.imgur.com/6FNiJ.jpg

The more you know.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:57 PM   #71
camp Blood
For your health!

they might be using multiple capes of varying lengths for different shots

the one shot in batman begins looked like his cape was 10 feet long

Old 08-04-2011, 09:59 PM   #72
Godzilla2014
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint View Post
Now that I think about it, I probably would have gone with a shorter cape (Young Justice length), but that's not a big deal at all considering how fantastic the cape looks.
Yeah I think so as well.

This post was brought to you by Godzilla.

http://i.imgur.com/6FNiJ.jpg

The more you know.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:59 PM   #73
bluesteel31
Newbie First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDaniel View Post
WTF? The cape is the best part!
yeah it's the best part if you want him to keep on trippin' on it while walking? the cape folds on the shoulder part really looks like a curtain to me...

Old 08-04-2011, 09:59 PM   #74
ElDuderino
Side-Kick

Well, one thing we can say about this pic -- he doesn't look too young for Amy Adams!

Old 08-04-2011, 09:59 PM   #75
DIRECTOR
Side-Kick

Man, if SR came with this as the first promo shot, we all would have loved the suit

Closed Thread