The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2011, 10:00 PM   #76
Saint
The Devil's Robot
 
Saint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Toronto.
Posts: 12,772
Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - - - Part 12

You know, I think there are more people in here complaining about "Fanboys who complain about everything" then there are actual complaints about the costume.

Seriously, give it a rest. Constantly complaining about and antagonizing the people who are unhappy causes a far greater ****storm than if you just let them say their piece.

That's not to say civil disagreements can't be had, of course. Debate is great, but "OMG HOW CAN YOU NOT LIKE IT, YOU'RE OBVIOUSLY WRONG, YOU'RE JUST A FANBOY BEING A FANBOY, TOTAL NONSENSE" is not a debate.

__________________
  • Days of Future Past is a game changer, positioning the X-Men films to overcome past mistakes and explore fresh, bold territory. PS: Now let's fix Cyclops.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint View Post
Also? Hilarious this, hilarious that, I win and you lose.
Saint is offline  
Old 08-04-2011, 10:00 PM   #77
ElDuderino
Side-Kick
 
ElDuderino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,916
Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - - - Part 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkyFresh View Post
no thanks...i've seen your posts.
And what of my posts makes you say that?

ElDuderino is offline  
Old 08-04-2011, 10:00 PM   #78
Saint
The Devil's Robot
 
Saint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Toronto.
Posts: 12,772
Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - - - Part 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sage View Post
The cape go down to his ankles when he stands up completely.
Based on what information? It looks like it's going to touch the ground based on the image (though obviously not as much as it is in the image)--which is fine, just not my preference.

__________________
  • Days of Future Past is a game changer, positioning the X-Men films to overcome past mistakes and explore fresh, bold territory. PS: Now let's fix Cyclops.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint View Post
Also? Hilarious this, hilarious that, I win and you lose.
Saint is offline  
Old 08-04-2011, 10:01 PM   #79
Kalel_Angel
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 64
Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - - - Part 12

For me, there was a near perfect Superman!

Short hair, no loop, a slight hair bit and I added truncks ( Like superman Jime Lee ):




Kalel_Angel is offline  
Old 08-04-2011, 10:01 PM   #80
SuperAl
Superman's back!
 
SuperAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,598
Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - - - Part 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
Why do you want them gone, and what do you propose to replace them with?

If you just take the trunks off the classic costume, then it looks like Superman forgot to put on his shorts. It looks incomplete. If you want them replace because they look "silly" or "old-fashioned", then you don't get Superman, because he is SUPPOSED to be old-fashioned. So why would you want them gone? All I can see is either

1) Smartasses who have no respect for superheroes in general and Superman in particular make fun of them (thus inducing your shame)
or
2) You think the costume would look better without them, in which case you have bad taste in costume design.

By the wa , the "you" in these statements is NOT you personally, it is anyone who wants the trunks gone..

I want to make this clear that this is NOTHING personal.
i never said i WANTED them gone, i said in the past that i would take a suit with or without. It didnt matter to me, i felt both would work fine. I just feel that a suit without the underwear might be better accepted by the "nonfans" and if that means more of them will go to the movie than its a good decision.

Wait wait wait, you say its not personal and then you call me a smartass and then say i have bad taste because i wouldnt mind them gone, ya im going to take that personal. your being a brat. by the way "you" is not anything personal....


Last edited by SuperAl; 08-04-2011 at 10:04 PM.
SuperAl is offline  
Old 08-04-2011, 10:04 PM   #81
TheIncredibleSk
Hard hitting opinions.
 
TheIncredibleSk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 4,114
Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - - - Part 12

Kuro can you please stop acting your opinions are facts. It's gotten tiresome.

TheIncredibleSk is offline  
Old 08-04-2011, 10:05 PM   #82
camp Blood
For your health!
 
camp Blood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New jersey
Posts: 4,086
Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - - - Part 12

they just might have used a long cape for dramatic value

like it said look how long bales cape appeared when he was perched on that building in batman begins, it looked 10 feet long


honestly though as long as its not returns pleather and has a shield on the back i am cool

__________________
If they're out there, I'm going to find them, and I'm going to gnaw on their skulls. Because it still hasn't gotten weird enough for me.

http://www.zazzle.com/toxicavenger/tshirts


camp Blood is offline  
Old 08-04-2011, 10:06 PM   #83
Saint
The Devil's Robot
 
Saint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Toronto.
Posts: 12,772
Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - - - Part 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalel_Angel View Post

Looks much better with the trunks. Oh well, I guess.

__________________
  • Days of Future Past is a game changer, positioning the X-Men films to overcome past mistakes and explore fresh, bold territory. PS: Now let's fix Cyclops.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint View Post
Also? Hilarious this, hilarious that, I win and you lose.
Saint is offline  
Old 08-04-2011, 10:06 PM   #84
KRIM
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,661
Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - - - Part 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesteel31 View Post
yeah it's the best part if you want him to keep on trippin' on it while walking? the cape folds on the shoulder part really looks like a curtain to me...

The cape always had folds. Its length and the way it drapes adds to the regal and majestic quality.

Can you reference some examples of how you wanted it to look?

KRIM is offline  
Old 08-04-2011, 10:07 PM   #85
SuperAl
Superman's back!
 
SuperAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,598
Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - - - Part 12

it looks similar to the Thor cape, looks great in my opinion. Just need to see the back for the S

SuperAl is offline  
Old 08-04-2011, 10:08 PM   #86
jrd550
He who is him
 
jrd550's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,035
Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - - - Part 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalel_Angel View Post
For me, there was a near perfect Superman!

Short hair, no loop, a slight hair bit and I added truncks ( Like superman Jime Lee ):



wow, well done man!!!




______________________________

want to write about superheroes? email info@justicebulletin.com

jrd550 is offline  
Old 08-04-2011, 10:08 PM   #87
Shabadoo
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Fortress of Solitude
Posts: 342
Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - - - Part 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
SOME people like it. Mostly deconstructionists who are ashamed of the classic costume, ashamed of comics, and ashamed of themselves for being comics fans. And most of those people would like any piece of crap they designed no matter how bad it looked. It could be the Nic Cage costume and most people who hate the classic would like and defend it. Not that this costume isn't vastly superior to that joke of a suit.

As I said, I rank this costume and the Superman: Returns costume about the same. The SR suit had the extra \S/ on the belt and the t-shirt collar that looked bad; this suit lacks the trunks and so will look like a huge blue blob. SR is a 6/10, this costume is a 6/10. The Reeve costume was a 10/10 for it's time; it's still better than either of these. I'd give it a 7/10 if they had just reused it; a little out-of date material wise, but at least it's accurate to the design of Joe Shuster, who create Superman's costume.

And by the way, most of the general public reaction to this costume is along the lines of: "the cape's too long", "he looks too menacing", "Christopher Reeve forever!" and "where's his red shorts?" So yes, people like it. People who are ashamed of Superman and of being Superman fans, that is.
I see, and you seem to fancy yourself the torchbearer for what is right and essential for Superman. The arbiter of the grand tradition of Superman.

What's more likely is that your deluded declarations come from fear. Fear from the fact that there is near universal praise for the direction the movie is going. Casting has been a homerun, and now the visual look of the movie is following suit as well. And since you simply don't like it, it can't possibly be worthy of being Superman, right? Because if that were the case, if this does carry on the tradition of Superman, you'd of course be naturally approving of it since you know what is right and what is wrong. But since you don't, you're obviously torn...so what to do? Solution: you take on the most narrow and rigid view of what Superman is, then denounce any deviation, no matter how small and insignificant, to point of being ludicrous (no trunks = 6/10, trunks = 10/10), in order to protect your fragile ego, all the while projecting YOUR OWN shame onto others. Time to grow up, my friend.

Shabadoo is offline  
Old 08-04-2011, 10:09 PM   #88
Kurosawa
Banned User
 
Kurosawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: 22,300 miles above the Earth
Posts: 9,485
Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - - - Part 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDuderino View Post
Sorry, you did not provide any explanation for the statement with which I took issue. You may think you did, but you didn't.

And, by the way, "I don't like it" isn't reason or explanation. It's fine if that's your opinion, but it's not reasoning or explanation.
Then you've never read my posts, you just dismiss them because I fail to comply with your opinions.

I have said OVER and OVER that a costume without the trunks is NOT impossible, but that I've yet to see a good design of it. Just taking the trunks off is not enough. I don't think the Lee redesign is different enough. If you're taking off the trunks, you need to really change the suit as a whole. In fact, I've posted pictures of Superman-derivative characters and tried to brainstorm with mannipers to come up with something, ANYTHING that would remove the trunks, break up the blue, still look like Superman and look good. So far i haven't see anything that has worked, but I have maintained that the costume COULD work without trunks, but I've yet to see a redesign that does work, at least not for me.

So my position is NOT "you can't drop the trunks because they're traditional"-although I do admit that is part of it because I respect Superman's creators and want him to be true to their vision-but mostly I've yet to see anything that looks better. I think the classic Superman costume is by far the greatest superhero costume ever designed. So if you're going to replace or change an icon, it better be with something inspired. Just dropping the trunks and adding a belt that looks like a big"X" or whatever it is (or may be) is not it. If there is some sort of red lines on the legs that connect and make a belt, then that might not look bad. As I said before, currently I give the costume a 6/10, even with the SR suit. A full reveal can only raise my ranking, it won't go behind a 6.

Of course I probably just typed four paragraphs for you to dismiss with one sentence. Five if you count this one.

Kurosawa is offline  
Old 08-04-2011, 10:10 PM   #89
antonydelfini
Quiver
 
antonydelfini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,651
Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - - - Part 12

Kurosowa, I love Superman, I buy his comics, I wear the Supes shirt occasionally, my friends know that I love comics, etc. And I love this costume, with or without trunks. I would have preferred to have the trunks in that costume, but I love it nonetheless without the trunks.

We just have to learn how to respect each others opinions. Some Superman fans are very open to change as long as it does not disrespect the character, some are traditionalists. Different opinions on the costume, but still Superman fans.

And Superman will always be my favorite fictional character of all time and I am proud of that, and I like trunkless Supes, and I hate Nic Cage's Superman suit.

antonydelfini is offline  
Old 08-04-2011, 10:11 PM   #90
Marx
We are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Marx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 55,005
Lightbulb Re: The Official Costume Thread - - - Part 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint View Post
You know, I think there are more people in here complaining about "Fanboys who complain about everything" then there are actual complaints about the costume.

Seriously, give it a rest. Constantly complaining about and antagonizing the people who are unhappy causes a far greater ****storm than if you just let them say their piece.

That's not to say civil disagreements can't be had, of course. Debate is great, but "OMG HOW CAN YOU NOT LIKE IT, YOU'RE OBVIOUSLY WRONG, YOU'RE JUST A FANBOY BEING A FANBOY, TOTAL NONSENSE" is not a debate.
I would agree with this.

__________________
It can't rain all the time.
Marx is offline  
Old 08-04-2011, 10:12 PM   #91
ElDuderino
Side-Kick
 
ElDuderino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,916
Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - - - Part 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
Then you've never read my posts, you just dismiss them because I fail to comply with your opinions.

I have said OVER and OVER that a costume without the trunks is NOT impossible, but that I've yet to see a good design of it. Just taking the trunks off is not enough. I don't think the Lee redesign is different enough. If you're taking off the trunks, you need to really change the suit as a whole. In fact, I've posted pictures of Superman-derivative characters and tried to brainstorm with mannipers to come up with something, ANYTHING that would remove the trunks, break up the blue, still look like Superman and look good. So far i haven't see anything that has worked, but I have maintained that the costume COULD work without trunks, but I've yet to see a redesign that does work, at least not for me.

So my position is NOT "you can't drop the trunks because they're traditional"-although I do admit that is part of it because I respect Superman's creators and want him to be true to their vision-but mostly I've yet to see anything that looks better. I think the classic Superman costume is by far the greatest superhero costume ever designed. So if you're going to replace or change an icon, it better be with something inspired. Just dropping the trunks and adding a belt that looks like a big"X" or whatever it is (or may be) is not it. If there is some sort of red lines on the legs that connect and make a belt, then that might not look bad. As I said before, currently I give the costume a 6/10, even with the SR suit. A full reveal can only raise my ranking, it won't go behind a 6.

Of course I probably just typed four paragraphs for you to dismiss with one sentence. Five if you count this one.
Actually, if you said "you can't drop the trunks because they're traditional" you WOULD be providing support for your opinion. But you don't even do that. It's just pure opinion, stated as proclamations or facts.

And, no, it's only four, even if you count the last one.

ElDuderino is offline  
Old 08-04-2011, 10:12 PM   #92
camp Blood
For your health!
 
camp Blood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New jersey
Posts: 4,086
Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - - - Part 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonydelfini View Post
Kurosowa, I love Superman, I buy his comics, I wear the Supes shirt occasionally, my friends know that I love comics, etc. And I love this costume, with or without trunks. I would have preferred to have the trunks in that costume, but I love it nonetheless without the trunks.

We just have to learn how to respect each others opinions. Some Superman fans are very open to change as long as it does not disrespect the character, some are traditionalists. Different opinions on the costume, but still Superman fans.

And Superman will always be my favorite fictional character of all time and I am proud of that, and I like trunkless Supes, and I hate Nic Cage's Superman suit.

i honestly will beat tim burton with my baseball bat of i get the chance i think he was doing that to mock comic book fans and see how far he could go before getting shut down and now look at his career hes a frigg'n joke

__________________
If they're out there, I'm going to find them, and I'm going to gnaw on their skulls. Because it still hasn't gotten weird enough for me.

http://www.zazzle.com/toxicavenger/tshirts


camp Blood is offline  
Old 08-04-2011, 10:13 PM   #93
ElDuderino
Side-Kick
 
ElDuderino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,916
Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - - - Part 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRIM View Post
The cape always had folds. Its length and the way it drapes adds to the regal and majestic quality.

Can you reference some examples of how you wanted it to look?
Agree. It serves no purpose, but for looks. And if it's for looks, then it needs to be regal and majestic.

ElDuderino is offline  
Old 08-04-2011, 10:14 PM   #94
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!
 
I SEE SPIDEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: In Superman's arms
Posts: 33,448
Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - - - Part 12

Yuck, I am tired of being accused of not being a fan of Superman just because I perfer him without trunks.

__________________
Come think with us:http://thinkmcflythink.squarespace.com/

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
I SEE SPIDEY is offline  
Old 08-04-2011, 10:16 PM   #95
sepharih
Resident Censor Hater
 
sepharih's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 727
Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - - - Part 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
Why do you want them gone, and what do you propose to replace them with?

If you just take the trunks off the classic costume, then it looks like Superman forgot to put on his shorts. It looks incomplete. If you want them replace because they look "silly" or "old-fashioned", then you don't get Superman, because he is SUPPOSED to be old-fashioned.
Is he supposed to look "silly" as well?


Quote:
Originally Posted by camp Blood View Post
they might be using multiple capes of varying lengths for different shots

the one shot in batman begins looked like his cape was 10 feet long
You know I was kinda thinking about that......I just don't know why they would do that. Batman's cape I get because his cape is almost like a living entity. In fighting scenes it needs to be short and not cumbersome...but in other shots it needs to be long and massive, an enormous cloak he can drape himself in.
Superman's cape isn't the same..... That could very well be the case still, I'm just saying I don't see their reasoning for it.

sepharih is offline  
Old 08-04-2011, 10:16 PM   #96
ElDuderino
Side-Kick
 
ElDuderino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,916
Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - - - Part 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
Yuck, I am tired of being accused of not being a fan of Superman just because I perfer him without trunks.
It's just one yahoo's opinion.

Now, I wish I could figure out what's going on with his wrists. That seems very odd.

ElDuderino is offline  
Old 08-04-2011, 10:16 PM   #97
Marx
We are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Marx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 55,005
Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - - - Part 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
Yuck, I am tired of being accused of not being a fan of Superman just because I perfer him without trunks.
Now you know how I feel in the TDKR Bane thread...

__________________
It can't rain all the time.
Marx is offline  
Old 08-04-2011, 10:18 PM   #98
Captain DC
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 91
Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - - - Part 12

Suit looks perfect, any complaints about this is just nitpicking. The response seems to be positive overall, moreso than the TDK suit even. Cant wait to see this new official suit in action.

Captain DC is offline  
Old 08-04-2011, 10:18 PM   #99
TheIncredibleSk
Hard hitting opinions.
 
TheIncredibleSk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 4,114
Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - - - Part 12

Man don't even worry about it Spidey. Kuro's just hatin on people for having a different opinion and thinks his opinion is fact.

TheIncredibleSk is offline  
Old 08-04-2011, 10:19 PM   #100
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!
 
I SEE SPIDEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: In Superman's arms
Posts: 33,448
Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - - - Part 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDuderino View Post
It's just one yahoo's opinion.

Now, I wish I could figure out what's going on with his wrists. That seems very odd.
I try to ignore his opinion but sometimes I pay attention to his posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marx View Post
Now you know how I feel in the TDKR Bane thread...
The Batman threads are...interesting...

__________________
Come think with us:http://thinkmcflythink.squarespace.com/

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
I SEE SPIDEY is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:26 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.