The friend zone.

Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:31 PM   #227
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Default Re: The Natalie Portman/Jane Foster Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
I thought Natalie was good in the first one, and she had a fun, breezy chemistry with Hemsworth.

I know this is the land of Sif shippers but I doubt they'll kill off Jane, or break them up.
Oh they won't lol. I am not even in the fan of Sif, or hating Jane, I am just hating Natalie, I really don't like Natalie Portman. Her relationship with Thor seemed like a teenage girl, it seemed forced, and I really just didn't like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
The friend zone.
The worst feeling.

but who the hell would choose a mortal little doctor over a beautiful asgardian goddess?

Old 10-02-2012, 09:38 PM   #228
American Maid
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
Just to mention, I thought the first movie made it pretty obvious that Sif had serious unresolved feelings towards Thor. There's a reason Sif talked with Frigga about Thor, and about "the mortal woman." Its just, Sif is *also* a friend and comrade and very much a tomboy, which complicates matters.

Basically, she's the Unlucky Childhood Friend.
Yes, you're right. Sif seems to have some unresolved feelings toward Thor. (Maybe enhanced by the thought toward the end of the movie that he no longer seemed to be as pompous as he had been--lol).

In my earlier comments, I was thinking more in terms of there doesn't seem to be much evidence in Thor1 for Thor having romantic feelings, unresolved or otherwise, toward Sif. It's more like she's one of his good friends.

American Maid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:49 PM   #229
American Maid
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqua99 View Post
Oh they won't lol. I am not even in the fan of Sif, or hating Jane, I am just hating Natalie, I really don't like Natalie Portman. Her relationship with Thor seemed like a teenage girl, it seemed forced, and I really just didn't like it
Yeah, Jane was embarrassingly giggly. I'll point out though Thor had some awkward moments, too. And, I have to admit, I've been there, so I can't throw too many rocks--lol.

FWIW, I like Sif well enough. I think I will pick up that Journey into Mystery book that starts a story line focusing on her (November issue, I think), to learn more about her. It's just that I'm just pro-Jane.

Quote:
but who the hell would choose a mortal little doctor over a beautiful asgardian goddess?
Well, near as I can tell, they are making no claims in the MCU about any Asgardian being a deity.

If one starts from the premise that Asgardian is always superior to Midgardian, then I guess the question is a no-brainer. I venture to say, though, that Thor is not operating from that premise. For example, he says, in TA, "We pretend on Asgard that we're more advanced"

One assumes all (most?) will be revealed when we finally get to see the film. . . .

Old 10-03-2012, 12:55 AM   #230
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Quote:
Her relationship with Thor seemed like a teenage girl, it seemed forced, and I really just didn't like it
I don't see how a weird scientist girl with no social life falling for a GOD is forced. That's exactly how people like that act, regardless of age. Want proof? Tumblr. The place where lonely virgins get horny over beautiful people.

Bruce Banner - "Captain America is on threat watch?"

Natasha Romanoff - "We all are."
JB-the-Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:19 AM   #231
American Maid
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB-the-Hunter View Post
I don't see how a weird scientist girl with no social life falling for a GOD is forced. That's exactly how people like that act, regardless of age. Want proof? Tumblr. The place where lonely virgins get horny over beautiful people.
People tend to feel that way when they first crush on people. Some people are less practiced at concealing it at various points in their lives. It's only human. And I have this recollection that Portman put that element in for similar reasons, with the aim of humanizing her character. (although, come to think of it, it's a little surprising, considering Jane had been married before)

And to be fair, the first film gives the impression that the attraction is not one-sided.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:47 PM   #232
TTFN
Side-Kick

Thor started the staring and flirting actually. Jane didn't care one bit about him until she saw him in the infrared images Darcy pointed out.

TTFN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:49 PM   #233
TTFN
Side-Kick

Quote:
That post was brilliant and so very true.

TTFN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:05 PM   #234
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
That's not what I am talking about. I'm talking about her acting dude. It didn't seem natural. It seemed forced.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:28 AM   #235
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

No arguments there, not that I agree.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:31 PM   #236
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

hence the key word "seemed" in my opinion

Old 10-18-2012, 08:14 PM   #237
American Maid
Side-Kick

This is in reply to a post that was originally in the Christopher Eccleston/Malekith thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizah72 View Post
On Jane as Thor's love interest, well, *sigh* I dont want to get people mad, but here I go (Sorry!) I really feel like she's served her purpose, making Thor fall in love with Earth and mortals. I mean can you really see them together when she's 80 and he's still young?
I think that's not automatically an insurmountable obstacle. (To be sure, I don't think it's automatically a surmountable obstacle either). I have heard (and if I were to poke around on Google, probably be able to come up with links) of stories where two people embrace each other as life partners even though one of the partners is terminally ill. Likely they will not make it to their 1-year anniversary. Yet they go ahead with it. Picking someone who is expected to have the same lifespan as you is no guarantee that they will. Sadly, I know several people who lost their partners far too early. And even if one is fortunate enough to get an "expected" lifetime with one's partner, when the end comes, it may well feel like the time was far, far too short. (In the myths, Odin's death is described as one of Frigg's great sorrows. So if Odin really does die in T:TDW, we may see Frigga devastated. And they had who knows how many millennia together.)

Quote:
I can't see this relationship going into happily ever after territory, not at all. And that may be a big part of whatever personal struggles Thor has to deal with. .. . And perhaps he has trouble finding love again after that, because he is now afraid that anyone he falls for will be in grave danger all the time as well.
That could be. That would be a very interesting development. I'm not entirely opposed to it. It's just my preference would be for it to work out for Thor and Jane.

Quote:
Realizing that being in a relationship with Jane puts her in an insane amount of danger since she is mortal, and it may be best to let her live her mortal life, than to cling to an idea of one with him that is doomed from the start.
Of course, it might be that what puts Jane in the most danger is not the fact that Thor kissed her hand, but, rather, the knowledge that is in her head. We're given to understand that what she's working on will be part of a big breakthrough. (Thor tells her that it's taken Midgard so many generations to get to this point in her research, that they're nearly there. Coulson says they moved Jane as soon as Loki took the doctor; they have overlapping areas of knowledge. And Thor tells the Fury et al that S.H.I.E.L.D.'s work on the Tesseract is a signal to all the realms that the Earth is ready for higher forms of war--ie, to encounter greater danger.) So maybe it's actually safer for Jane if word gets out that she's Thor's girl, as it were.

And not being in a relationship with Jane does not guarantee her safety. Bystanders get killed in these stories (I'm given to understand there will be some mention of that in Iron Man 3).

And I don't have the impression that lots of people make the case that Pepper should not be in a relationship with Tony because he encounters danger and she doesn't have any superhero abilities or tools to protect herself. The script just has Pepper get out of the way before any of that starts. (While it may be true that Iron Man's foes are in general less deadly than Thor's foes, for this purpose it doesn't matter. If they are lethal enough to kill the love interest, then dead is still dead.)

Quote:
I do think done right, her dying could be very poignant and important to Thor's character motivation in future films.
Well, Jane not being Thor's love interest does not automatically mean Jane dies (though I have the impression that actors often like to do death scenes). I continue to think that if Jane ceases to be Thor's love interest, the most likely way it unfolds is that *Jane* decides it's not going to work. (That's not entirely out of step with how it originally happened, either.)

If they are not meant to be as a couple, then I would like Jane to be able to still make a contribution to the overall story, presumably through her expertise on portals.

Quote:
That's not going to change unless they add some cheesy thing like Odin makes her an Asgardian (a tiny one at that!)
I agree that they would have to come up with something creative if they were to make her better able to fend for herself.

Thanks for the thoughts!

Old 10-18-2012, 08:18 PM   #238
elizah72
Side-Kick

No thank you.

elizah72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:41 PM   #239
TomPiltoff
you are all diseased

Natalie Portman can go to hell, if the rumors are true about her not wanting to come back. You'd think she'd have learned from Star Wars and would have been wary of signing a multi-picture deal if she has a problem with being contractually obligated.

And again, as with Star Wars, we can look forward to a complete phoning it in performance from her since she doesn't want to be there.

TomPiltoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:45 PM   #240
American Maid
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPiltoff View Post
Natalie Portman can go to hell, if the rumors are true about her not wanting to come back. You'd think she'd have learned from Star Wars and would have been wary of signing a multi-picture deal if she has a problem with being contractually obligated.

And again, as with Star Wars, we can look forward to a complete phoning it in performance from her since she doesn't want to be there.
As I said over in the spoilers thread, I am skeptical that the rumors are true. I think she will be professional about her work.

Old 10-21-2012, 12:18 AM   #241
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Could we not be so quick to judge the actress folks? I mean, this is all coming from one person's "speculations" about things for crying out loud.

Plus, while I can't find the link to the article, it was said that Natalie was more positive and happy about Thor 2 from last we heard since someone, I think it was Chris, or someone else, mentioned on how Portman had met with Alan to discuss Thor 2 in a meeting and she came out happy.

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:25 AM   #242
Carlo Comicus
Side-Kick

I don't think this rumors is true.

http://www.shockdom.com/webcomics/frankcarter/
Carlo Comicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:11 AM   #243
American Maid
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Plus, while I can't find the link to the article, it was said that Natalie was more positive and happy about Thor 2 from last we heard since someone, I think it was Chris, or someone else, mentioned on how Portman had met with Alan to discuss Thor 2 in a meeting and she came out happy.
That's my recollection also. Hemsworth recounted how he and Portman met with Alan Taylor about the plans for Thor2, and they came away happy with what they had in mind.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:28 AM   #244
Chewy
REDACTED

lol

Some random blog wrote that Portman was forced to do Thor 2 against her wishes. Glad they got the scoop!

Never change, internet...

Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:47 AM   #245
TomPiltoff
you are all diseased

Quote:
Could we not be so quick to judge the actress folks? I mean, this is all coming from one person's "speculations" about things for crying out loud.
Hence "if the rumors are true". ProTip: you have to read [I]all[I] the words.

Quote:
Oh wow, Chris Hemsworth said Natalie Portman was happy doing Thor 2 in an interview? Well there you do, straight from the horses mouth. It's not like actors have any sort of obligation to put a positive spin on the product, so you know it's the truth.

Old 10-22-2012, 01:13 AM   #246
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:

Oh wow, Chris Hemsworth said Natalie Portman was happy doing Thor 2 in an interview? Well there you do, straight from the horses mouth. It's not like actors have any sort of obligation to put a positive spin on the product, so you know it's the truth.
Even so, it's a bit harsh or extreme to say that an actor should go to hell if they're not exactly invested in doing a film like every other cast member is.

Plus, I don't know about anyone else, but I rather put faith in Chris's words about something than believe the worlds of some internet writer who's just making assumptions and has no credibility.

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:25 AM   #247
Rowsdower!
THE WALL

Yes... let's dump the Oscar-winning actress because of some rumors and give more screentime to the blank-faced chick from the cancelled ABC Family TV series...

Rowsdower! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:04 AM   #248
eddy
Side-Kick

Your icon is very apt.

AVENGERS ASSEMBLE.
eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:28 PM   #249
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Quote:

You might as well have left out the "if the rumors are true" part because it reads the same wither way.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:29 PM   #250
TomPiltoff
you are all diseased

Quote:
You might as well have left out the "if the rumors are true" part because it reads the same wither way.
Uh, what? No, dude. See, words change things. Writing "if the rumors are true" is what's called qualifying a statement.

Quote:
Plus, I don't know about anyone else, but I rather put faith in Chris's words about something than believe the worlds of some internet writer who's just making assumptions and has no credibility.
They're both suspect sources. The difference being that, whether she's unhappy or not, the lead actor would never come out and publicly rumor monger like that. It's basically part of his job to say 'we're all psyched to be back together!' when doing interviews for the movie. So that's going to be his line no matter what.