The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: The Dark World

Old 08-01-2013, 02:01 PM   #426
Loki882
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Natalie Portman/Jane Foster Thread

Her Asgardian outfit on the poster looks really cool, very princess like. Also, considering how in Uncanny Avengers, it looks like Thor and Rogue might hook up, I'm not sure that I buy the "Sif is Thor's true love" routine. I don't think that Thor has a TRUE love.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:48 PM   #427
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
Her Asgardian outfit on the poster looks really cool, very princess like. Also, considering how in Uncanny Avengers, it looks like Thor and Rogue might hook up, I'm not sure that I buy the "Sif is Thor's true love" routine. I don't think that Thor has a TRUE love.
As shown in the Thor: God of Thunder series, Thor has bedded quite a few ladies so I don't think he's the one woman type of guy. I think they'll change that in the MCU and make him chose between Sif and Jane.

Webfoot Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:36 PM   #428
04nbod
I need to debrief you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webfoot Hero View Post
As shown in the Thor: God of Thunder series, Thor has bedded quite a few ladies so I don't think he's the one woman type of guy. I think they'll change that in the MCU and make him chose between Sif and Jane.
On the contrary. I think Thor is a one woman man. Jane being the woman. But he can't have Jane so there are lot of other beautiful ladies about. His devotion to her is only surpassed by his devotion to his father and Odin does not want him with Jane. What he was like before he was banished means little to who Thor is after it.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:01 PM   #429
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04nbod View Post
On the contrary. I think Thor is a one woman man. Jane being the woman. But he can't have Jane so there are lot of other beautiful ladies about. His devotion to her is only surpassed by his devotion to his father and Odin does not want him with Jane. What he was like before he was banished means little to who Thor is after it.
I agree about the MCU's Thor being a faithful lover. He isn't the type to bed-hop, though when he was younger that might have been the case. In the comics, Thor also brought Jane to Asgard and presented her to Odin, who disapproved of his son's love for the mortal. Odin offered to make Jane a goddess if she could pass a test, which he had of course rigged to ensure her failure. And then Sif was conveniently placed near Thor to give him an immediate rebound romance. One would hope that the MCU's Thor would be a bit smarter about Odin's doings, but since he took three films to catch onto Loki's behavior that's doubtful.

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:44 PM   #430
Loki882
Side-Kick

Odin himself didn't even realize what Loki was up to in the first film. The only one who did was Heimdall, so I see Loki as being a bit more clever than Odin.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:48 PM   #431
Hunter Rider
**** SHH's Lawyers
SHH! Administrator

I'm really looking forward to seeing Jane on Asgard.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:07 AM   #432
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

I really looking forward to Sif punching her and Jane's head exploding.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:09 AM   #433
Hunter Rider
**** SHH's Lawyers
SHH! Administrator

Old 08-02-2013, 01:11 AM   #434
Godzilla2000
Super Shadow

Quote:
Odin himself didn't even realize what Loki was up to in the first film. The only one who did was Heimdall, so I see Loki as being a bit more clever than Odin.
As the most powerful being in the universe being totally oblivious to Loki's actions must be pretty embarrassing. No wonder he's angry all the time.

Words of Wisdom:
http://www.think-positive.us/feeling-rich.html

"Faced with crisis, the man of character falls back upon himself." -Charles de Gaulle
Godzilla2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:18 AM   #435
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
I think Jane should die.
Not going to happen and if it does, she'll be brought back to life.

The Caped Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:19 AM   #436
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Rider View Post
I'm really looking forward to seeing Jane on Asgard.
As am I.

Old 08-02-2013, 03:30 AM   #437
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
I call them as I see them.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:12 AM   #438
Hunter Rider
**** SHH's Lawyers
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
I call them as I see them.
Your blind.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:46 AM   #439
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

Jane is Thor's primary love interest, their not going to kill her off. Besides isn't Portman signed on for 3 films?

Old 08-02-2013, 11:27 AM   #440
warriorking
Side-Kick

I think they are making Odin a bit more likeable as a Father than the comics version.
As for Jane I am sure Odin in time will come to respect and realize how important she is in Thors life.
Lets not forget the great tragedy that is to fall on the house of Odin.
Don't worry Portman is going nowhere, all her fears were put to rest when she sat down with the New director and writers about her role in the upcoming films..
She is going to play a pivotal role in Thors development, as well as the large amount of money she will earn all make perfect business sense...

Last edited by warriorking; 08-02-2013 at 11:37 AM.
warriorking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:00 PM   #441
Loki882
Side-Kick

Jane on Asgard is something I've wanted since the first film came out. I really want to see her and Sif get scenes together (I hope they don't overplay the jealousy angle for Sif). I can see Frigga and Jane actually getting along, and Fandral and Volstagg would probably treat her well. Loki and Jane meeting is going to be FUN!!

Old 08-02-2013, 12:10 PM   #442
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Your blind.
She is gorgeous and a terrific actress. Jane is a bad character she plays lazily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Caped Knight View Post
Jane is Thor's primary love interest, their not going to kill her off. Besides isn't Portman signed on for 3 films?
How much Thor have you read? They can put her back on Earth when ever they like. Sif is Thor's primary love interest in the comics.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:19 PM   #443
Loki882
Side-Kick

Except for right now, he's seems into Rogue at the moment.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:22 PM   #444
Hunter Rider
**** SHH's Lawyers
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
She is gorgeous and a terrific actress. Jane is a bad character she plays lazily.
I agree on the first part but disagree on the latter, I really enjoyed her as Jane, I think fanboys just want Thor bumping armor with Sif.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:47 PM   #445
Loki882
Side-Kick

I think that some fans see Sif as a "badass warrior" so they believe that she belongs with Thor, not some mere "mortal woman."

Old 08-02-2013, 01:03 PM   #446
Transcended
Gunning for Metal

Quote:
I think that some fans see Sif as a "badass warrior" so they believe that she belongs with Thor, not some mere "mortal woman."
That's the same backwards reasoning that people use to promote Superman and Wonder Woman in a relationship.

Lois Lane = whip-smart reporter. Jane foster = brilliant scientist. They may be mortal but they have the brains that their powerful male counterparts often lack (or misplace). Jane challenges Thor in ways Sif can't. Now, I completely adore Sif, but it bugs me that people are so dismissive of Jane's character.

Old 08-02-2013, 01:16 PM   #447
Loki882
Side-Kick

I like Jane and I really don't get the hate. I was trying to understand why some people might not like her. Natalie Portman was really good in the first film, as was Jaimie Alexander (Sif was a badass).

Old 08-02-2013, 03:58 PM   #448
warriorking
Side-Kick

I totally agree, they are not going to bump Portman for Alexander..Like it or not Portman will draw a bigger audience among women and men.
I like both ladies but Portman is the big name star..
And in the end that means more butts in the seats and money in marvels pockets...

warriorking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:06 PM   #449
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
I agree on the first part but disagree on the latter, I really enjoyed her as Jane, I think fanboys just want Thor bumping armor with Sif.
Hey, I have had a huge crush on Portman since "Where the Heart Is". I'd usually wouldn't complain about her in a film. But the way her character was written and how little she seemed to care, just killed the character imo. Sif on the otherhand, Sif is strong.

Quote:
Have you read the comics? I am actually being very serious right now. I love Lois Lane and her relationship with Clark is my favorite in comics. But that is also because Lois is a great character who complements Clark perfectly. Lois and Clark are equals.

Jane always comes off as a distraction for Thor. He isn't really Thor with her. I even prefer Thor with Amora to her.

The only Thor/Jane interpretation I have liked was The Mighty Avenger. And it is probably best that it only lasted 8 issues. Probably would have ended up hating it.

Quote:
Except for right now, he's seems into Rogue at the moment.
And Superman is having happy time with Wonder Woman. But we all know he is going to end up with Lois again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transcended View Post
That's the same backwards reasoning that people use to promote Superman and Wonder Woman in a relationship.

Lois Lane = whip-smart reporter. Jane foster = brilliant scientist. They may be mortal but they have the brains that their powerful male counterparts often lack (or misplace). Jane challenges Thor in ways Sif can't. Now, I completely adore Sif, but it bugs me that people are so dismissive of Jane's character.
Having a nice job does not mean the character on film suddenly has brains. Look at the new Steve Job movie or Christmas from TWINE for good examples. At what point did Jane in the film ever come close to Lois at her best? Heck, when did she get close to the modern Jane from the comics? Jane was too busy whining, being a klutz and fawning over Thor's muscles to be much of a character in the first film.

MoS showed how to write a female lead in a superhero film without powers. The First Avenger showed how to do it. Thor didn't. Hell, the movie ends with her looking for him. Like she needs him or something.

Last edited by DarthSkywalker; 08-02-2013 at 04:17 PM.
DarthSkywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:47 PM   #450
Loki882
Side-Kick

Darth Skywalker, I wasn't the one who compared Jane to Lois, Transcended did. I agree that Lois compliments Superman perfectly. I was simply commenting the some of the arguments that I've heard against Jane and in favor of Sif, and that's the gist of a lot of them. I like Thor/Sif, and I actually like Superman/WW, I know that they will be together eventually, but I'm enjoying the ride for now.