The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: The Dark World

Old 10-04-2013, 09:13 AM   #576
Shawn30
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Natalie Portman/Jane Foster Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sombra112 View Post
Do you really think she's still working with SHIELD? After what happened with Eric? If it were me, I would take him, my assistant, and get the heck out of dodge.
I don't think she's working for Shield, but I would bet money she is in some form of contact and they are watching her. But likely she's not on the payroll or anything. Now after this movie, things might be different.

Shawn30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:15 AM   #577
Sombra112
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn30 View Post
I don't think she's working for Shield, but I would bet money she is in some form of contact and they are watching her. But likely she's not on the payroll or anything. Now after this movie, things might be different.
Like they're keeping an eye on her or trying to get her back or something.

Of course, if Thor ends up with her on earth, as I suspect he will, SHIELD would probably try all the harder to get her, and by extension him, back. I have the feeling Thor didn't like Fury and the gang all that much though so I don't know how well that would work.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:20 AM   #578
Moonwing
Side-Kick

Quote:
Probably. We will see.

Moonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:58 AM   #579
Sombra112
Side-Kick

This really doesn't have much to do with the movie but I thought it was pretty cool and it is about Jane, so here

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmen...ls-on-science/

Old 10-04-2013, 01:15 PM   #580
Shawn30
Side-Kick

Quote:
This really doesn't have much to do with the movie but I thought it was pretty cool and it is about Jane, so here

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmen...ls-on-science/
That really is a fantastic idea, a great piece of marketing, and its just cool as hell. No doubt NP had a hand in this.

Old 10-04-2013, 01:41 PM   #581
Sombra112
Side-Kick

Quote:
That really is a fantastic idea, a great piece of marketing, and its just cool as hell. No doubt NP had a hand in this.
As long as it helps someone, it's worth it and a very good marketing technique

Old 10-04-2013, 03:52 PM   #582
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04nbod View Post
and had I not provided examples of her doing her job and being relied on to do her job in the stories you would have a point. However, Jane's job isn't a decoration.
No, it is completely about believability. Portman's Jane does not seems capable of anything she is purported to do. Just like Christmas Jones, though not quite to that level. You can cast Carrot Top as Albert Einstein. That doesn't mean that suddenly Carrot Top is believable in the role.

Portman wasn't horrible, but she was far from good and didn't make a convincing astrophysicist.

Last edited by DarthSkywalker; 10-04-2013 at 03:56 PM.
DarthSkywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:02 PM   #583
Sombra112
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
No, it is completely about believability. Portman's Jane does not seems capable of anything she is purported to do. Just like Christmas Jones, though not quite to that level. You can cast Carrot Top as Albert Einstein. That doesn't mean that suddenly Carrot Top is believable in the role.

Portman wasn't horrible, but she was far from good and didn't make a convincing astrophysicist.
I was convinced. Natalie Portman is actually a very accomplished woman. She speaks multiple languages(French, Arabic, Japanese, German), she has a degree in psychology from Harvard, plus she's a model and an actress. I wish I had half that woman's talent.

Old 10-04-2013, 04:06 PM   #584
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
I was convinced. Natalie Portman is actually a very accomplished woman. She speaks multiple languages(French, Arabic, Japanese, German), she has a degree in psychology from Harvard, plus she's a model and an actress. I wish I had half that woman's talent.
I know about her academic achievement. We are talking about acting. In plenty of her films she acts like a woman-child. A kid attempting to act grown up. Thor was no different.

Old 10-04-2013, 04:10 PM   #585
Sombra112
Side-Kick

Quote:
I know about her academic achievement. We are talking about acting. In plenty of her films she acts like a woman-child. A kid attempting to act grown up. Thor was no different.
A few of you keep saying that but I just don't see it. I even watched the movie trying to be overly critical but her acting seemed fine to me. She seemed like a woman obsessed with her job at the beginning, a woman pissed and willing to take risks because she had just lost her entire life's work in the middle, and a woman determined to find her man if he couldn't come to her.

Old 10-04-2013, 04:16 PM   #586
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
A few of you keep saying that but I just don't see it. I even watched the movie trying to be overly critical but her acting seemed fine to me. She seemed like a woman obsessed with her job at the beginning, a woman pissed and willing to take risks because she had just lost her entire life's work in the middle, and a woman determined to find her man if he couldn't come to her.
I honestly don't expect you to see it. You want the entire romantic angle to work. That is fine, but it doesn't change how I feel, especially considering this is a long running problem with Portman.

It is in the mannerism, how you deliver lines, the facial expressions the actor uses. The is little to no difference between Portman's performance in Thor and No Strings Attached. That speaks volumes.

Old 10-04-2013, 04:24 PM   #587
Sombra112
Side-Kick

If I try, I can find negative in almost anything. That's why I don't usually try, I hate ruining movies for myself by seeking out plot holes and other things that I didn't notice. It makes me mad when people point them out because after that I can't stop noticing it. And I don't see the problem with Portman's performance. It seemed natural to me. I've seen wa-a-y worse acting.

Old 10-04-2013, 04:31 PM   #588
DrRocket
Side-Kick

Th Cool Re: The Natalie Portman/Jane Foster Thread

Quote:
I honestly don't expect you to see it. You want the entire romantic angle to work. That is fine, but it doesn't change how I feel, especially considering this is a long running problem with Portman.

It is in the mannerism, how you deliver lines, the facial expressions the actor uses. The is little to no difference between Portman's performance in Thor and No Strings Attached. That speaks volumes.

I personally think Portman nailed her role, I mean she to just met a guy from
Another realm, who is good looking enough that some people have begun questioning their sexuality, who has arms the size of tree trunks and claims to be a Greek "god" and you think she should act all grown up, heck, I bet if you met Thor you would become a stuttering fool.

P.s I love you Natalie portman, my waifu!

Piece, yo

DrRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:34 PM   #589
Sombra112
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRocket View Post
Another realm, who is good looking enough that some people have begun questioning their sexuality, who has arms the size of tree trunks and claims to be a Greek "god" and you think she should act all grown up, heck, I bet if you met Thor you would become a stuttering fool.

Piece, yo
Norse god and she acted exactly like a red blooded, living female around a very sexy, virile male to me.

Old 10-04-2013, 04:51 PM   #590
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
If I try, I can find negative in almost anything. That's why I don't usually try, I hate ruining movies for myself by seeking out plot holes and other things that I didn't notice. It makes me mad when people point them out because after that I can't stop noticing it. And I don't see the problem with Portman's performance. It seemed natural to me. I've seen wa-a-y worse acting.
I don't grade on a curve. That there has been worse acting is not even a debate. Of course there has been. That doesn't suddenly make Portman's acting good in the first Thor film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRocket View Post

Piece, yo
Except she doesn't act odd until well after she finds him...

There is also not like there isn't a comparison to be made in this regard. Amy Adams pulled off professional, while still succumbing to the charms of the Superhero of all superheroes. Hayley Atwell did it. A lot of that had to do with her actually fitting and acting the part well. Both woman were able to show vulnerability while still keeping their dignity and the strenght of their characters. That Portman didn't really create a believable Jane to start off with was a bit contributing factor.

When Lois finally lost her stuff for Superman she still kept the presence of a woman. Not a child. Peggy was graceful to the bitter end. And it showed in their acting.

Old 10-04-2013, 06:26 PM   #591
Sombra112
Side-Kick

Quote:
I don't grade on a curve. That there has been worse acting is not even a debate. Of course there has been. That doesn't suddenly make Portman's acting good in the first Thor film.

Except she doesn't act odd until well after she finds him...

There is also not like there isn't a comparison to be made in this regard. Amy Adams pulled off professional, while still succumbing to the charms of the Superhero of all superheroes. Hayley Atwell did it. A lot of that had to do with her actually fitting and acting the part well. Both woman were able to show vulnerability while still keeping their dignity and the strenght of their characters. That Portman didn't really create a believable Jane to start off with was a bit contributing factor.

When Lois finally lost her stuff for Superman she still kept the presence of a woman. Not a child. Peggy was graceful to the bitter end. And it showed in their acting.
That's because she didn't start caring about him until after she knew him for a little bit.

Really, the only people I've seen complain about Portman's performance are the same people who don't like Jane or favor Sif or both. You guys want her to be bad, even if you wont admit it, and so you try to make her performance bad.

Old 10-04-2013, 07:42 PM   #592
Bren
Forevernoob

I certainly don't wish her to be bad, and I like Natalie Portman anyway... But her Jane irritated me quite a bit *shrugs*

Hehehe, maybe it's jealousy, because I could never get a woman to go that giddy over me; not even my Wife!
(and if my Wife had, I would eventually have told her to grow up )

Old 10-04-2013, 07:50 PM   #593
ItsMadness
Side-Kick

Honestly, I have high hopes for Jane's development in T:TDW. In Thor, she just did not give me enough of a science-y vibe, with her words or actions, and I didn't like that. But it seems like, from what the trailers and clips have shown thus far, she'll have a more prominent role as a scientist in TDW. *crosses fingers*

ItsMadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:51 PM   #594
Sombra112
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
I certainly don't wish her to be bad, and I like Natalie Portman anyway... But her Jane irritated me quite a bit *shrugs*

Hehehe, maybe it's jealousy, because I could never get a woman to go that giddy over me; not even my Wife!
(and if my Wife had, I would eventually have told her to grow up )
Then I stand corrected but I still don't see it.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:09 PM   #595
Bren
Forevernoob

Tbh, it was mainly just her behaviour around Thor that irritated me; I enjoyed for the most part her determination towards her work and courage with SHIELD.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:17 PM   #596
Sombra112
Side-Kick

I can already tell that Taylor has put more effort into making the relationship better in TDW, so I'm not worried about anything. This movie is going to be great

Old 10-09-2013, 06:23 AM   #597
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Well, even though the build up (foundations) of their relationship could use more polishing, imho it can't be denied that they at least look great together at times. I can't wait to see on how their reunion plays out.

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:16 AM   #598
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Thor: "Slip me thine tongue M'Lady!"

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Hunter Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:22 PM   #599
TTFN
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Well, even though the build up (foundations) of their relationship could use more polishing, imho it can't be denied that they at least look great together at times. I can't wait to see on how their reunion plays out.

They sure do bring the pretty.

I can't wait to see how their relationship progresses and as a huge Jane fan, I also can't wait to see her being all sciency. Jane is a huge part of why Thor gives a rip about Earth and why his sacrifice gave him the ability to wield his mighty hammer again after Odin kicked him out of Asgard. Portman is awesome and very believable as astrophysicist Jane to me and that is all I care about. I can't think of a single thing I'm not looking forward to with TDW.

TTFN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:47 PM   #600
Shawn30
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTFN View Post
They sure do bring the pretty.

I can't wait to see how their relationship progresses and as a huge Jane fan, I also can't wait to see her being all sciency. Jane is a huge part of why Thor gives a rip about Earth and why his sacrifice gave him the ability to wield his mighty hammer again after Odin kicked him out of Asgard. Portman is awesome and very believable as astrophysicist Jane to me and that is all I care about. I can't think of a single thing I'm not looking forward to with TDW.
I agree. TDW just looks flat out awesome so far, and I'm a big Jane fan as well. I love how the marketing has the Thor/Jane relationship front and center in the trailers, and with plenty of Loki, more Odin, and just a gritty, dark look the movie is something I can't wait for.