The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: The Dark World

Old 11-17-2013, 09:12 PM   #676
Loki882
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Natalie Portman/Jane Foster Thread

I liked Portman once again in this movie, but I was also annoyed that A. the Asgardian characters got less to do than freaking Darcy (BS) and B. that Jane was essentially a damsel in distress and her relationship with Thor STILL wasn't really developed all that well.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:41 PM   #677
Axl Van Sixx
Comrade

That was a little disappointing. Something tells me that Jane Foster would have been less of a damsel-in-distress had Patty Jenkins directed the film.

"We know the freedom that argues against communism is the freedom to enslave and the freedom to exploit."—Blanqui

IMT supporter
Axl Van Sixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:11 PM   #678
Ragnaroknroll
Side-Kick

I didn't look at Jane as being the damsel-in-distress in this. Especially since she played a very active role in Malekith's defeat. I thought Thor and she made a good team.

Ragnaroknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:35 AM   #679
warriorking
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Van Sixx View Post
That was a little disappointing. Something tells me that Jane Foster would have been less of a damsel-in-distress had Patty Jenkins directed the film.
We probably would have seen Thor hiding behind Jane's skirt if she would have directed Thor 2...
I think she was replaced for a good reason...

warriorking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:35 PM   #680
Guard82
Side-Kick

Portman gave a good performance, and unlike some love interests, she actually played a fairly large role in defeating the villain. I liked seeing her in Asgard in a fish-out-of-water situation, as Thor had already experienced in the first film when he was on Earth. Her reactions to Odin's book of legends and the story of the Dark Elves were quite good.

Guard82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:16 PM   #681
warriorking
Side-Kick

Still wonder if she gets a cameo role in the upcoming A2 AOU...

Old 11-18-2013, 09:51 PM   #682
Axl Van Sixx
Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorking View Post
We probably would have seen Thor hiding behind Jane's skirt if she would have directed Thor 2...
I think she was replaced for a good reason...
Yeah, I'm sure that's exactly what she had in mind.

"We know the freedom that argues against communism is the freedom to enslave and the freedom to exploit."—Blanqui

IMT supporter
Axl Van Sixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:45 PM   #683
Loki882
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnaroknroll View Post
I didn't look at Jane as being the damsel-in-distress in this. Especially since she played a very active role in Malekith's defeat. I thought Thor and she made a good team.
True, but that was undercut somewhat by the lack of a belivable explanation. Actually, not explaining important plot points/character motivations was one of this film's major flaws. Jane being important to beating the villain would have been much cooler if I wasn't constantly asking "why is this happening" or "what the Hell is going on" all throughout the third act.

Old 11-18-2013, 11:07 PM   #684
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

I feel like they wasted on what could have been a great development moment for Jane and Thor for stupid cheap laughs during the moment when they were in the cave together.

They could have both had a serious conversation about everything that just happened and figure out what they really mean to each other, but instead...they go straightly to the comedy again.

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:38 AM   #685
Vartha
We are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

I was just thinking about the Scene Sif gives a dirty look at what I thought at the time was looking at Loki, and say Congrats on whoever it was saying it was Jane she shot that dirty look lol

....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"

Vartha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:59 AM   #686
warriorking
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vartha View Post
I was just thinking about the Scene Sif gives a dirty look at what I thought at the time was looking at Loki, and say Congrats on whoever it was saying it was Jane she shot that dirty look lol
I also loved the part when Thor told Sif she was the one who would spring Jane from custody..
I felt it was his way of saying to her, Jane is the one I love, and that being said I trust no one but you to free her and deliver her safely to me.

Old 11-20-2013, 02:05 AM   #687
Loki882
Side-Kick

Sif's role was also disappointing, although Alexander was really good for what she got to do. Alexander talked about this Sif/Jane dynamic and how Sif's feelings would be explored, and aside from one scene, none of that was in the movie. It seems like almost all of it was cut out, which was irritating. I don't mind Thor ultimately choosing Jane, but at least make it seem like somewhat of a harder choice for him.

Old 11-20-2013, 02:28 AM   #688
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

You know, another weird thing is the fact that Sif is likely to have had feelings for Thor for several years already; so you would think that they would have gotten a close up of her face for an reaction when Thor and Jane kissed back on Earth in the first film.lol

I think one of the frustrating things about this film is that it really doesn't establish why Thor would/should be with Jane out of all the women on Earth (realms even).

I mean I get that she's his connection to "Earth", but the foundation of that connection wasn't well established from the first film due to the lack of credibility for that development.

I'm not saying Jane is a bad or unworthy person; I think she's a good person and I don't find her annoying. It's just that I can't any "special" reason as to why she would be "the one" for Thor.

Other films with other comic book couples have better established as to why the protagonist falls for his (or her) counterpart/love interest in the film.

Some of the best examples that I can think of are: Tony and Pepper, Gwen and Peter, and even Man of Steel's Lois and Clark Kent/Superman.

Old 11-20-2013, 12:30 PM   #689
Loki882
Side-Kick

A lot of people didn't like the Thor/Jane relationship in the first film. I was more forgiving of it because A. I thought that Hemsworth and Portman had good chemistry performance-wise, and B. I saw it more a set-up. They weren't really in love per-se, they were just attracted to each other and considering maybe taking it further. They left it in a great place to develop the romance more, with Jane working to find a way to get back to Thor. Also, in interviews, Feige and co mentioned wanting to explore WHY Thor and Jane are attracted to each other and develop the romance more. However, the romance really wasn't developed more in this film, and I'm a lot less forgiving of it this time because it the opportunity/setup is right there, it would have been so easy, but they just didn't take it. I got the sense that this film WAS focused a lot more on ideas/character interaction/etc at one point, but that most of that stuff was taken out in editing to make it more of an action movie, which is irritating because you can do BOTH.

Old 11-20-2013, 04:33 PM   #690
Saturius
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
A lot of people didn't like the Thor/Jane relationship in the first film. I was more forgiving of it because A. I thought that Hemsworth and Portman had good chemistry performance-wise, and B. I saw it more a set-up. They weren't really in love per-se, they were just attracted to each other and considering maybe taking it further. They left it in a great place to develop the romance more, with Jane working to find a way to get back to Thor. Also, in interviews, Feige and co mentioned wanting to explore WHY Thor and Jane are attracted to each other and develop the romance more. However, the romance really wasn't developed more in this film, and I'm a lot less forgiving of it this time because it the opportunity/setup is right there, it would have been so easy, but they just didn't take it. I got the sense that this film WAS focused a lot more on ideas/character interaction/etc at one point, but that most of that stuff was taken out in editing to make it more of an action movie, which is irritating because you can do BOTH.
This. I still don't know why everyone failed to see what the true dynamic was between Thor and Jane in the first film. Why everyone kept complaining about how unrealistic and stupid it was that Thor and Jane were in love in the first movie I'll never know because they were not. Even the director made that clear. It's incredibly annoying that people still today completely miss that fact. This film completely dropped the ball that Branagh setup in the first film on the relationship front.

Saturius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:36 PM   #691
Vartha
We are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

I'd say watch the Jane on Earth be some magic copy and the real one is on Asgard and Thor can't get back

....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"

Vartha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 03:32 AM   #692
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

With the way that her relationship with Thor has been portrayed so far on-screen, I keep asking myself on what's really stopping Thor from moving on to other women within the 9 realms, hooking up with people like Skye (from AOS) or any other attractive woman with a good personality?

Old 11-21-2013, 07:54 PM   #693
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

So, with no truly credible evidence to support the theory, theres still an itch at the back of my mind that thinks Jane is being set up as the MCU's Amora. And that the Aether changed her in a somewhat more permanent manner.

After my second viewing, I take particular notice in scenes like the one in Asgard where her eyes turn black and the sky turns red, it seems really out of place. Does no one agree? Like it's never explained what exactly she's experiencing right there. Is she seeing the future? Is she testing her powers? Is she in pain? Is she in control? I can't quite tell. Also watch her reaction at Frigga's funeral and Loki's death. Kinda empty.

Apart from the film's plot in itself, Jane seems to be having her own side-arc that no one else in the film is aware of. Whether she's fainting, sleeping, or gazing off into the distance.

Am I alone in this speculation?

Last edited by pr0xyt0xin; 11-21-2013 at 07:57 PM.
pr0xyt0xin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:43 PM   #694
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

You know, one thing that I don't get is why they showed a shot of Jane in her Asgardian dress when she first had her dark vision at the beginning of the film, just after she had been affected (before when she had reunited with Thor)

Old 11-21-2013, 08:50 PM   #695
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Yeah that's kind of a weird piece too.

Old 11-22-2013, 01:26 AM   #696
Moonwing
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
You know, one thing that I don't get is why they showed a shot of Jane in her Asgardian dress when she first had her dark vision at the beginning of the film, just after she had been affected (before when she had reunited with Thor)
BTW the dress is a even stranger thing she dressed in Frigga`s dress, or the dress that look exactly like hers (during here and Frigga sequence she were in golden gown of her own) - I really do not know what they mean by it but for me it looked just unhealthy for her to be dressed as recently diseased mother of two oh her companions.

Moonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 11:19 AM   #697
Rowsdower!
Jaguaring Lives

I was a big defender of Portman in the first film, but I didn't think she was very good here. She still has good chemistry with Hemsworth, but other than that, she just seemed so... disengaged in this movie. I'm not sure if it was just bad director or what, but she seemed to be phoning it in most of the time, IMO.

ATTENTION: The rumor about WB's "no jokes" policy is 100% correct. No one should ever doubt any rumor about any upcoming movie, even in cases where it contradicts rumors that have previously been reported. In those cases, both rumors are true.

In other news, Bryan Cranston is playing Lex Luthor, Emily Blunt is Wonder Woman, Benedict Cumberbatch is Martian Manhunter, and that guy from Teen Wolf is Batman.
Rowsdower! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:51 PM   #698
Loki882
Side-Kick

Well, they didn't give much interesting stuff to do, again. This movie REALLY needs a Director's Cut with all of the actual character-building scenes put back in. Her "romance" with Thor was just so shallow, which is a shame since Branagh left it wide open for future development at the end of Thor 1.

Old 11-23-2013, 12:13 AM   #699
Rowsdower!
Jaguaring Lives

It almost seemed like they couldn't even figure out how to write lines for her. Seriously, it seemed like half her scenes consisted of awkward silences.

ATTENTION: The rumor about WB's "no jokes" policy is 100% correct. No one should ever doubt any rumor about any upcoming movie, even in cases where it contradicts rumors that have previously been reported. In those cases, both rumors are true.

In other news, Bryan Cranston is playing Lex Luthor, Emily Blunt is Wonder Woman, Benedict Cumberbatch is Martian Manhunter, and that guy from Teen Wolf is Batman.
Rowsdower! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 06:32 AM   #700
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
Well, they didn't give much interesting stuff to do, again. This movie REALLY needs a Director's Cut with all of the actual character-building scenes put back in. Her "romance" with Thor was just so shallow, which is a shame since Branagh left it wide open for future development at the end of Thor 1.
Agreed; I mean I kept asking myself as to why Thor is attached to Jane as much as he is presented in this film. I mean I don't see much difference between the likes of Jane's character and Skye from "Agents of SHIELD" who seemingly also has the hots for Thor like Jane had in the first film before they started interacting with each other on friendlier terms.