The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: The Dark World

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2012, 02:08 AM   #151
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick
 
DarthSkywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 25,803
Default Re: The Natalie Portman/Jane Foster Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorgal View Post
I read that the director is focusing on the romance of Thor and Jane in the sequel He stated they are the main focal point besides him visiting other planets...she will be there with him. So I believe they are sticking to the romance of Jane and Thor and no mention of Sif..
So they are going to ignore the source material. That's nice.

__________________
"You've failed, Your Highness. I am a Jedi, like my father before me."
DarthSkywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:42 AM   #152
Liam_H
Side-Kick
 
Liam_H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California
Posts: 8,505
Default Re: The Natalie Portman/Jane Foster Thread

If they're not going to explore the Thor/Sif relationship and just focus on Thor/Jane why did they not release the deleted Thor/Sif scenes from the first movie.

__________________

Spill


Liam_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:51 AM   #153
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick
 
DarthSkywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 25,803
Default Re: The Natalie Portman/Jane Foster Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam_H View Post
If they're not going to explore the Thor/Sif relationship and just focus on Thor/Jane why did they not release the deleted Thor/Sif scenes from the first movie.
Because they hate me.

__________________
"You've failed, Your Highness. I am a Jedi, like my father before me."
DarthSkywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:11 AM   #154
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme
 
R_Hythlodeus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: vienna, austria (europe) 6.784 km east of new york
Posts: 5,302
Default Re: The Natalie Portman/Jane Foster Thread

There's nothing wrong with focusing on Jane in the movies, since that character is a whole different Jane Foster than the one in the comics. You can tell differen types of stories with her, take her to other places, where Comic Jane never was.
In a way, it's like how they used Pepper in the Iron Man movies (and TA), Movie Pepper will never settle with Happy (not as long GP is playing her and RDJ is IM, but maybe in other incarnations) and Movie Jane is here to be remodelled as a working romantic interest for Thor.
This might change the dynamic betwen Thor and Sif, I agree. But let's just see where this dynamic goes now under this changed circumstances, before we scream and moan, because it's not perfectly accurate with the storylines and personalities from the 60ies.
So far, MS has done a decent job. In fact, they have done so well, translating these books to a working, breathing Movie Universe that I trust them to do the right thing with every decision they have in store for Phase II.
(until they cast Megan Fox and Eddie Murphy as Enchantress and Executioner)

__________________
every Summer
Some Dude **** Sexy Chick **** The Supporting Cast **** Evil British Guy
in
RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------


ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic


R_Hythlodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:44 PM   #155
04nbod
I need to debrief you
 
04nbod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: birkenhead, uk ahh...the chavs are attacking
Posts: 10,400
Default Re: The Natalie Portman/Jane Foster Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
So they are going to ignore the source material. That's nice.
What source material are you reading?

Sif is nothing but a consolation prize!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Hythlodeus View Post
There's nothing wrong with focusing on Jane in the movies, since that character is a whole different Jane Foster than the one in the comics. You can tell differen types of stories with her, take her to other places, where Comic Jane never was.
In a way, it's like how they used Pepper in the Iron Man movies (and TA), Movie Pepper will never settle with Happy (not as long GP is playing her and RDJ is IM, but maybe in other incarnations) and Movie Jane is here to be remodelled as a working romantic interest for Thor.
This might change the dynamic betwen Thor and Sif, I agree. But let's just see where this dynamic goes now under this changed circumstances, before we scream and moan, because it's not perfectly accurate with the storylines and personalities from the 60ies.
So far, MS has done a decent job. In fact, they have done so well, translating these books to a working, breathing Movie Universe that I trust them to do the right thing with every decision they have in store for Phase II.
(until they cast Megan Fox and Eddie Murphy as Enchantress and Executioner)
Actually one of my main problems is that they tried to update swooning 60s Jane and pretty much ignore 90's-present Jane. I think Earth's Mightiest Heroes shows us that the closest you stick to comic Jane the better you get. Thor's adoration of her there is obvious because of what she does. She also have the Foster sense of humour in that series too. Jane was always the working love interest. Her and Thor have a dramatic, epic story with character tension everywhere. Its one of Marvel's best but sadly abandoned. You saw how the industry went nuts with praise for it when it was the centre of The Mighty Avenger and that is a book that didn't even hit its stride, that was a prelude to the sweeping story.

I just don't think Thor/Sif has ever been done well. Especially for Sif who just becomes this weak, whining wreck about him. Its one of the fun dynamics though, Sif is physically strong and personally weak. Jane is personally strong and physically weak. Marvel has tortured Jane, heck Simonson killed her for an issue just to make Thor cry.

I wonder, what stories do you guys think will be so much better with Sif? Because right now all I can think of is comic Sif who just stabs things, looks pretty and complains Thor doesn't love her enough. Can you think of a great love story where the characters obviously have a lot in common?

__________________
WHAT WOULD DARTH VADER DO?

Last edited by 04nbod; 05-04-2012 at 02:03 PM.
04nbod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:54 AM   #156
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick
 
DarthSkywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 25,803
Default Re: The Natalie Portman/Jane Foster Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Hythlodeus View Post
There's nothing wrong with focusing on Jane in the movies, since that character is a whole different Jane Foster than the one in the comics. You can tell differen types of stories with her, take her to other places, where Comic Jane never was.
In a way, it's like how they used Pepper in the Iron Man movies (and TA), Movie Pepper will never settle with Happy (not as long GP is playing her and RDJ is IM, but maybe in other incarnations) and Movie Jane is here to be remodelled as a working romantic interest for Thor.
This might change the dynamic betwen Thor and Sif, I agree. But let's just see where this dynamic goes now under this changed circumstances, before we scream and moan, because it's not perfectly accurate with the storylines and personalities from the 60ies.
So far, MS has done a decent job. In fact, they have done so well, translating these books to a working, breathing Movie Universe that I trust them to do the right thing with every decision they have in store for Phase II.
(until they cast Megan Fox and Eddie Murphy as Enchantress and Executioner)
Hey, I am a more modern and Simonson Thor guy. I just want Thor to be with his true love. It is like watching a Superman trilogy where he ignores Lois, even if the other woman is Miss Lang. Doesn't sit right with me.

__________________
"You've failed, Your Highness. I am a Jedi, like my father before me."
DarthSkywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:02 AM   #157
04nbod
I need to debrief you
 
04nbod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: birkenhead, uk ahh...the chavs are attacking
Posts: 10,400
Default Re: The Natalie Portman/Jane Foster Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
Hey, I am a more modern and Simonson Thor guy. I just want Thor to be with his true love. It is like watching a Superman trilogy where he ignores Lois, even if the other woman is Miss Lang. Doesn't sit right with me.

You do know that Jane Foster was based on Lois like Thor was based on Superman? Sif would be Lana, the childhood interest who doesn't appear until a lot later. To me, its like Thor hasn't had 'his Lois' in decades and that is very sad.


__________________
WHAT WOULD DARTH VADER DO?

Last edited by 04nbod; 05-05-2012 at 06:11 AM.
04nbod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:14 AM   #158
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick
 
DarthSkywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 25,803
Default Re: The Natalie Portman/Jane Foster Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04nbod View Post
You do know that Jane Foster was based on Lois like Thor was based on Superman? Sif would be Lana, the childhood interest who doesn't appear until a lot later. To me, its like Thor hasn't had 'his Lois' in decades and that is very sad.

Character archetypes are one thing. She maybe a more Lois like character, that doesn't mean she is what Lois is to Superman. Sif is to Thor, what Lois is to Superman. For some their childhood love is their great and true love. Like in Thor's case.

__________________
"You've failed, Your Highness. I am a Jedi, like my father before me."

Last edited by DarthSkywalker; 05-05-2012 at 06:18 AM.
DarthSkywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:01 AM   #159
04nbod
I need to debrief you
 
04nbod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: birkenhead, uk ahh...the chavs are attacking
Posts: 10,400
Default Re: The Natalie Portman/Jane Foster Thread

But Thor's childhood affection for Sif has never been shown as a 'great love' on his part. When we first meet Sif they haven't even seen each other for a long time and Sif thinks he will have forgotten her. In Son of Asgard Sif feels she has to manipulate Thor to get him to want her like she wants him. Its kind of the same as it is in the contemporary 616 where Thor and Sif don't really match. He wants to be on Earth, she doesn't understand it and wants him to go back to Asgard forever. Thor doesn't really seem satisfied with her anyway, if its not Jane its someone else like the whole Zephyr relationship or Enchantress. Its like Sif is Thor's backup and that is unfair to her and makes her seem pathetic as she waits for this guy that will never come through. Its no great love, its no great story, its just ....there. I can't think of a memorable story with it. They have a lot in common and they knew each other as kids, that makes it seem logical but it that doesn't make it interesting or epic.

Can you say that you have ever read Thor so determined to be with someone as he was to be with Jane? It still baffles me how Stan thought he could get away with showing him 'give up'. Its probably Stan Lee's biggest writing mess up at Marvel.

__________________
WHAT WOULD DARTH VADER DO?

Last edited by 04nbod; 05-05-2012 at 09:07 AM.
04nbod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:07 AM   #160
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick
 
DarthSkywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 25,803
Default Re: The Natalie Portman/Jane Foster Thread

I remember Ragnarok and the return from Ragnarok. I know how Thor feels for Sif. The reason they aren't together most of the time or fighting is the need for conflict and to keep Thor warring. Hence why their separations feel so annoying and artificial.

You say it isn't interesting or epic. While I don't agree, say I did. That doesn't change Thor's true affections.

__________________
"You've failed, Your Highness. I am a Jedi, like my father before me."

Last edited by DarthSkywalker; 05-05-2012 at 10:16 AM.
DarthSkywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:19 PM   #161
herolee10
S.W. Mourner
 
herolee10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 15,204
Default Re: The Natalie Portman/Jane Foster Thread

I wonder if they'll reference or make not on how Jane learned of Thor's appearance on Earth by watching the newscast of his heroics in NYC? In any case, I'm glad that she was referenced in TA.

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:25 PM   #162
jaqua99
....I need a horse!
 
jaqua99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: dont you worry about that
Posts: 6,032
Default Re: The Natalie Portman/Jane Foster Thread

My opinion. No Jane. No Natalie. I don't want to see any love interest thrown into the movie. I just want Thor, and Thor only, going through out the realms. I particularly though Portman was awkwardly annoying in Thor. To the point I found it difficult to watch the scenes with her in it. IF there will be a love interest, make Sif. To be blatant, I don't want Portman, or Jane Foster in anymore of the Thor movies. Even though that won't be the case, unfortunately


*sigh

jaqua99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:24 AM   #163
herolee10
S.W. Mourner
 
herolee10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 15,204
Default Re: The Natalie Portman/Jane Foster Thread

Well personally, I can understand the issues that fans had with the usage of Natalie's character in "Thor", let alone of their fear of the potential that Jane's involvement in this film could be detrimental in some ways like how some love interest angles have been for other superhero films.

I'd argue that if Jane is written better this time with a purpose outside of her relationship with Thor that helps serve the plot, then I'd welcome her to the story.

If anything, this film could serve just as a closure for her character in the MCU IF the producers believe that she has no more purpose in Thor's journey, but as far as we were told (despite on it perhaps not coming off as clear in the actual film.lol) Jane is supposed to represent one of Thor's closest ties to Earth apparently.

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:22 AM   #164
Lady Marion
Anyone else?
 
Lady Marion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Somewhere in Germany
Posts: 2,347
Default Re: The Natalie Portman/Jane Foster Thread

Honestly I don't have much issues with Jane in Thor. I find her really cute how she is drool over Thor and her confused reaction when he shows up in her caravan. A little love story by the way.

I think they will develop the lovestory because Jane had a much bigger role in the comics. Although I have no idea right now how it matches in a storyline within the other realms.

I see it similar as jaqua99, I don't need a big love story, even less a love triangle or a damsel in distress. All I wanna see is Thor in action with an epic story behind.

__________________
MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE: PHASE II


IRON MAN III - THOR: THE DARK WORLD - CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER - GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY


AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON
Lady Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:55 AM   #165
PokeJ
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 285
Default Re: The Natalie Portman/Jane Foster Thread

That's the one thing I enjoyed about The Avengers. No forced love story to drag down the movie. The Avengers showed you can have a kick butt movie without having the Soap-Opera love stories in it.

PokeJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 02:29 PM   #166
TTFN
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 126
Default Re: The Natalie Portman/Jane Foster Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokeJ View Post
That's the one thing I enjoyed about The Avengers. No forced love story to drag down the movie. The Avengers showed you can have a kick butt movie without having the Soap-Opera love stories in it.
Which wouldn't work with the solo movies. The reason it worked in TA is because there were so many characters and so much going on you didn't have time (and even then there are those that see things that just aren't there).

That's not the case in the solo flicks. Plus you don't want to alienate the part of your audience that likes that dynamic and shudders at the proposed alternatives that turn bromances into much, much more...

TTFN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:58 PM   #167
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson
 
cherokeesam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cherokee, NC
Posts: 11,633
Default Re: The Natalie Portman/Jane Foster Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTFN View Post
Which wouldn't work with the solo movies. The reason it worked in TA is because there were so many characters and so much going on you didn't have time (and even then there are those that see things that just aren't there).

That's not the case in the solo flicks. Plus you don't want to alienate the part of your audience that likes that dynamic and shudders at the proposed alternatives that turn bromances into much, much more...
Exactly.
'Nuff said.

__________________
THE COTTON AVENGERS

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:44 PM   #168
DACrowe
Side-Kick
 
DACrowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 26,038
Default Re: The Natalie Portman/Jane Foster Thread

I never read Thor comics so I have no horse in "whose his true love" race. However, after the ending of Thor, there was no way that Jane could not play a large role in the sequel. She had to come back and hopefully be better written. However, I know Natalie Portman is frustrated with MS, so maybe they'll give her and Thor a tearful and final goodbye in this movie so that Ms. Portman can leave the franchise and Thor can be with Sif in future movies.

__________________
"Let us disappoint the Men who are raising themselves upon the ruin of this Country."

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:45 PM   #169
DACrowe
Side-Kick
 
DACrowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 26,038
Default Re: The Natalie Portman/Jane Foster Thread

Also:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,1006217.story

Natalie's street cred continues to go up.

__________________
"Let us disappoint the Men who are raising themselves upon the ruin of this Country."

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:26 PM   #170
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson
 
cherokeesam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cherokee, NC
Posts: 11,633
Default Re: The Natalie Portman/Jane Foster Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
I never read Thor comics so I have no horse in "whose his true love" race. However, after the ending of Thor, there was no way that Jane could not play a large role in the sequel. She had to come back and hopefully be better written. However, I know Natalie Portman is frustrated with MS, so maybe they'll give her and Thor a tearful and final goodbye in this movie so that Ms. Portman can leave the franchise and Thor can be with Sif in future movies.
I don't know how "frustrated" Natalie is with MS, though....we know she was upset when they let Patty Jenkins walk from Thor 2, but the parting with Jenkins was amicable, and there's been no indication that Natalie's on the outs with Marvel or with new director Alan Taylor.

__________________
THE COTTON AVENGERS

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:51 AM   #171
herolee10
S.W. Mourner
 
herolee10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 15,204
Default Re: The Natalie Portman/Jane Foster Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
I don't know how "frustrated" Natalie is with MS, though....we know she was upset when they let Patty Jenkins walk from Thor 2, but the parting with Jenkins was amicable, and there's been no indication that Natalie's on the outs with Marvel or with new director Alan Taylor.
And I heard from one of the interviews that when Chris and Natalie had gone in for a meeting with Alan and co. to discuss the sequel that Natalie walked out pleased with what she heard and what was discussed regarding the sequel.

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:34 PM   #172
mclay18
Sexed-up archery
 
mclay18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 8,046
Default Re: The Natalie Portman/Jane Foster Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
Also:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,1006217.story

Natalie's street cred continues to go up.
She has a great sense of humor. She needs to do more comedies, as she was a bright spot in Your Highness. She just makes me smile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
And I heard from one of the interviews that when Chris and Natalie had gone in for a meeting with Alan and co. to discuss the sequel that Natalie walked out pleased with what she heard and what was discussed regarding the sequel.
Phew. Maybe she's a fan of Game of Thrones too?

__________________
Think McFly Think


"Come Think With Us."
mclay18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:50 AM   #173
herolee10
S.W. Mourner
 
herolee10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 15,204
Default Re: The Natalie Portman/Jane Foster Thread

From the sounds of the latest info, it just keeps adding more to the belief that the film will be also focusing in on deepening the relationship between Thor and Jane, and hopefully, making it into something that more people can buy as believable and that's something more than a "one night stand" contender between the two.lol

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:48 PM   #174
04nbod
I need to debrief you
 
04nbod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: birkenhead, uk ahh...the chavs are attacking
Posts: 10,400
Default Re: The Natalie Portman/Jane Foster Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Well personally, I can understand the issues that fans had with the usage of Natalie's character in "Thor", let alone of their fear of the potential that Jane's involvement in this film could be detrimental in some ways like how some love interest angles have been for other superhero films.

I'd argue that if Jane is written better this time with a purpose outside of her relationship with Thor that helps serve the plot, then I'd welcome her to the story.

If anything, this film could serve just as a closure for her character in the MCU IF the producers believe that she has no more purpose in Thor's journey, but as far as we were told (despite on it perhaps not coming off as clear in the actual film.lol) Jane is supposed to represent one of Thor's closest ties to Earth apparently.
Jane did have a story outside of Thor in Thor 1, Thor interrupted her story. She was doing scientific research that would change the MU. In the Avengers we are told shes taking other jobs and not working solely on getting Thor back. She's the most independent love interest in a superhero movie ever now I think about it.

It doesn't appear that the creators care about Thor's tie to Earth and if they are intent on showcasing the universe Jane will have to stick around to even symbolically tie Thor back to Earth. Without Jane, Thor has no reason to be there.

I found this on Tumblr, so cute


__________________
WHAT WOULD DARTH VADER DO?
04nbod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:19 AM   #175
Raiden
RIP Robin Williams
 
Raiden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 25,135
Default Re: The Natalie Portman/Jane Foster Thread

I think Jane's role in Thor was important, in that she helped Thor understand Midgard and her relationship with him was the reason why he became fond of Earth and its well-being. What that said, her character could've written even better, and I'm sure they will do so in the sequel, because I doubt Portman would want back (even though she is contractually to do so), if her role becomes less significant. I hope she'll work well with Alan Taylor, because I believe a director must establish good relationship with his main cast for the movie to succeed.

__________________
"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Raiden is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:33 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.