The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: What bugs you the most?
The hair (lack of spit curl) 50 39.37%
The \S/ shield dsign (Earth-2/golden age design) 6 4.72%
The lack of trunks 43 33.86%
The texture (brought to you by Spalding) 28 22.05%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-07-2011, 12:54 PM   #76
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Default Re: What do you like least about the new Superman pic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RakuMon View Post
The only thing that bugs me is the texture on the S-shield. That's one of the things that really bugged me (among others) in SR. I don't mind the texture on the rest of the suit though. Just wished they left it off the \S/.

Other than that, I dig it.
My thoughts exactly.

ArmsHeldOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 01:14 PM   #77
scatterax
Presented in Technicolor

I like the suit,but don't get y its covered in scales or y he's missing his curl

4) The Dark Knight Rises 5) The Incredible Hulk 6) Scott Pilgrim vs The World
7)X-Men:Days of Future Past 8) X-Men:First Class 9) Thor 10) Spider-Man 2
scatterax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 03:22 PM   #78
Zachhelms
Word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7heBoss View Post
Yeah, I am with this guy. Members like Rowsdower, El Payaso and Zachhelms are "sick of people complaining about..." and yet they come to a complaint thread. If you don't want to hear it than go away. Did you read the thread title and ask yourself, "Man, I wonder what they are talking about in here"?

I never said it would ruin the movie for me, however there are details of the suit I like less than others. Which is what this thread is about.
I understand the complaining of actual suit, but from the picture, it looks like Superman is being thrown into a vault door. His hair isn't going to stay perfect in a fight scene or high action scene.

I mean, seriously. It's hair. And people are complaining about his eyebrows. Y'all are looking for the smallest things to complain about. It's lame.

Zachhelms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 04:01 PM   #79
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

as I've said many times before...this photo is NOT from a scene in the movie!!

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Kal-El.9859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 04:15 PM   #80
Sabaoth
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdw View Post
What bugs you the most?
Right now, I would say the shield.
We haven't seen it completely yet so perhaps my opinion of it might change.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:17 PM   #81
\S/JcDc\S/
Panned User

I love the shield, unless your only gripe is you'd rather no texture at all on it. I think smaller or no texture on the shield could be an improvement. If not I'm still fine with it, something different.

Old 08-07-2011, 05:32 PM   #82
DavidTyler
Side-Kick

OK... I spent a lot of posts getting people to stop using the non existant word 'CASTED'. Now I've got a new mission: Getting everyone to stop using 'COULD OF' and 'SHOULD OF' when they actually mean either 'COULD'VE (or COULD HAVE)' and 'SHOULD'VE (or SHOULD HAVE).

As to the shield... I'm not a big fan of the Earth 2 golden age emblem but at least it is actually from the comix. I'm waiting for a more complete picture of the costume. I'm pretty sure there are no trunks so I consider that a battle lost already. I also don't like the raised emblem. It looks glued on and bugs me ... but another battle lost. Oh well.

DavidTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 05:37 PM   #83
--Zero-Ethic--
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTyler View Post
OK... I spent a lot of posts getting people to stop using the non existant word 'CASTED'. Now I've got a new mission: Getting everyone to stop using 'COULD OF' and 'SHOULD OF' when they actually mean either 'COULD'VE (or COULD HAVE)' and 'SHOULD'VE (or SHOULD HAVE).

OMG dat srsly annoyz meeeee

Also, it's "existent" lol

..Checkmate!"
--Zero-Ethic-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 06:06 PM   #84
Bad Superman
World's Grimmest Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
Ooooooh somebody pulled out the eyeroll on me! So badass!

No, I didn't say that people who don't like everything about the costume are trolls. But I do think starting an entire thread devoted to it is trollish. We already have a Cavill thread, a costume thread and an "all things Superman" thread where the good and the bad are frequently debated. Starting a thread every time you notice something you don't like--or in this case, starting a thread just to stir up controvery and try and convince people whose attitudes are positive that the entire thing is a failure--is really annoying.

I always laugh when I see people on this site complain about the show The Big Bang Theory because they feel it paints superhero nerds as a bunch of uptight dorks that stress out over silly things pertaining to their favorite comic book characters. But stupid threads like this just prove that the stereotypes are accurate.
Starting a thread like this to talk SPECIFICALLY about the things fans don't like about the costume, so no, it's not "trollish". I haven't read a single message in which people "try and convince people with positive attitudes" that everything is a failure. That's just a generalization.

Big Bang Theory has got nothing to do with Superman.

If you find this thread "stupid" how come you care so much about it? People with different opinions "prove that steorotypes are accurate." Give me a ****ing break. . . . .

"There’s no need to "modernize" Superman in order for the character to be appealing to the new generation. Superman is not a brooding angst ridden conflicted hero. He is a beacon of hope and his mission is to fight for Truth, Justice and the American way. Superman doesn’t need to wear an armor suit. He’s THE Man of Steel. There’s no need to “modernize” the suit for it to be more “dark” and “edgy”. If today’s generation can’t accept the character’s roots and essence, then they’re not true fans."
Bad Superman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 06:07 PM   #85
Bad Superman
World's Grimmest Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karelia View Post
I'm with you on this one. I guess this is probably the only place they can vent their frustration.
That's why it's called the What do you like least about the new Superman pic? thread. . .

"There’s no need to "modernize" Superman in order for the character to be appealing to the new generation. Superman is not a brooding angst ridden conflicted hero. He is a beacon of hope and his mission is to fight for Truth, Justice and the American way. Superman doesn’t need to wear an armor suit. He’s THE Man of Steel. There’s no need to “modernize” the suit for it to be more “dark” and “edgy”. If today’s generation can’t accept the character’s roots and essence, then they’re not true fans."
Bad Superman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:00 PM   #86
Kurosawa
Banned User

The sad thing is-and I say this as a critic of the movie costume's lack of trunks-but if there were to be a thread for what people like most about the new pic, there would be a fraction of the posts. The internet is so negative, it's a downer...even though I'm quite guilty of it myself....

Kurosawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:16 PM   #87
Stephen K. Hone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachhelms View Post
I understand the complaining of actual suit, but from the picture, it looks like Superman is being thrown into a vault door. His hair isn't going to stay perfect in a fight scene or high action scene.

I mean, seriously. It's hair. And people are complaining about his eyebrows. Y'all are looking for the smallest things to complain about. It's lame.

Yeah, it's kinda like someone complaining about people complaining in a complaint thread.

Stephen K. Hone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:25 PM   #88
Stephen K. Hone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El.9859 View Post
as I've said many times before...this photo is NOT from a scene in the movie!!

I'm guessing it would cost $100,000 + to stage that shot with the set construction, makeup, hair, pyrotechnicians, lighting, photographer, studio rental etc, which in the big scheme of things is chump change. You are probably right that it likely isn't an actual scene from the movie, but a very well staged and elaborate photo shoot.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:28 PM   #89
Stephen K. Hone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by \S/JcDc\S/ View Post
I love the shield, unless your only gripe is you'd rather no texture at all on it. I think smaller or no texture on the shield could be an improvement. If not I'm still fine with it, something different.

I wonder it the texture is supposed to be some kind of solar cell pattern that helps Superman draw even more power from the sun?

Old 08-07-2011, 09:30 PM   #90
That person
Bull Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post
The lack of eyebrows.
Holy ****. I just now noticed that. That's kind of creepy. Seriously, I do hope the trunks are on there. If they aren't, that'll be my only complaint I think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen K. Hone
Iwonder it the texture is supposed to be some kind of solar cell pattern that helps Superman draw even more power from the sun?
I seriously doubt they'll go through the trouble of explaining that.

"Theodore Roosevelt, Jr., nicknamed "Teddy" or "TR", was born October 27, 1858 in New York City. As a young child, he was often sick and was stricken with asthma. Viewing this as a challenge, he proceeded to beat his asthma to death."- Cracked
That person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:51 PM   #91
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen K. Hone View Post
I'm guessing it would cost $100,000 + to stage that shot with the set construction, makeup, hair, pyrotechnicians, lighting, photographer, studio rental etc, which in the big scheme of things is chump change. You are probably right that it likely isn't an actual scene from the movie, but a very well staged and elaborate photo shoot.
very few people understand that

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Kal-El.9859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:59 PM   #92
Stephen K. Hone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by That person View Post
Holy ****. I just now noticed that. That's kind of creepy. Seriously, I do hope the trunks are on there. If they aren't, that'll be my only complaint I think.

I seriously doubt they'll go through the trouble of explaining that.
Yeah it would take all of 15 secs!

Old 08-07-2011, 10:01 PM   #93
Stephen K. Hone
Side-Kick

His eyebrows are likely just being washed out by the Pyro gerbs and the shadowy lighting. Kind of surprising that someone at WB's didn't have that fixed in photoshop.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:12 PM   #94
That person
Bull Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen K. Hone View Post
Yeah it would take all of 15 secs!
It's not that it would waste time; it would just be totally unnecessary.

"Theodore Roosevelt, Jr., nicknamed "Teddy" or "TR", was born October 27, 1858 in New York City. As a young child, he was often sick and was stricken with asthma. Viewing this as a challenge, he proceeded to beat his asthma to death."- Cracked
That person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:44 PM   #95
Stephen K. Hone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by That person View Post
It's not that it would waste time; it would just be totally unnecessary.

Not if that was the actual reasoning behind the texture it wouldn't. Remember, Nolan who is the producer of MOS likes to keep stuff wherever possible grounded somewhat in reality.

Old 08-07-2011, 11:10 PM   #96
Blitzkrieg Bop
Crazy Casbah Jive

Definitely the suit's material. I've always pictured the suit as cloth and from the looks of it, Kal-El's parents bought the cheap **** for baby blankets.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:13 AM   #97
\S/JcDc\S/
Panned User

An explanation for the scaly look. I talked in another thread how the costume underneath could be of Kryptonian tech, expanding an almost synthetic skin type effect. As he is "operating" it, the suit appears to grow into form on his body. This type of texture would work out well for that type of effect. I still like the idea of one shirt rip scene showing the suit form on his chest as the \S/ emblem expands. Perhaps it all expands from the belt or something. That might be a little to sci fi for them to try, but I would dig it anyways.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:32 AM   #98
7heBoss
Side-Kick

Anyone who thinks this is a screenshot from the movie is horribly kidding themselves. For one, he is looking straight at the camera... yeah, actors don't tend to do that in movies. This is obviously a staged photoshoot, it was intended to show off Cavill as Superman, not showcase a scene from the movie.

Taking this into account, they have control of every detail single in the photo. So they should have definitely chosen a different hairstyle in my opinion. Saying "He was just thrown into a door" a ridiculous claim. No he wasn't Cavill just stood there and posed.

7heBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:44 AM   #99
jb007
Side-Kick

I put lack of trunks. But that's only because there isn't a clear shot. Otherwise, I LOVE IT!!!!!!

jb007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:37 AM   #100
CLARKY
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdw View Post
What bugs you the most?
Almost everything I see so far. I can not believe some people actually like this picture when there were so many fu**ing haters for the SR suit.
I could live with the symbol or the cape attachment. Boots are cool, cape is cool. Pattern is ok.
The rest is crap for me; The red is flatty-flat. The hairs makes me think of Grease John Travolta, and above all the so called "blue" color makes me cry. When I see pics of H.Cavill on google, the picture that does not reflect superman is indeed this one.
If there is no trunks it will definitively be a fail IMO.
Neverthless, the pic is very dynamic and I like the gesture, the position and all. Good picture, crappy suit.

CLARKY is offline   Reply With Quote