The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: What bugs you the most?
The hair (lack of spit curl) 50 39.37%
The \S/ shield dsign (Earth-2/golden age design) 6 4.72%
The lack of trunks 43 33.86%
The texture (brought to you by Spalding) 28 22.05%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-08-2011, 07:31 AM   #101
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Default Re: What do you like least about the new Superman pic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by \S/JcDc\S/ View Post
An explanation for the scaly look. I talked in another thread how the costume underneath could be of Kryptonian tech, expanding an almost synthetic skin type effect. As he is "operating" it, the suit appears to grow into form on his body. This type of texture would work out well for that type of effect. I still like the idea of one shirt rip scene showing the suit form on his chest as the \S/ emblem expands. Perhaps it all expands from the belt or something. That might be a little to sci fi for them to try, but I would dig it anyways.
The flecked pattern of the new suit is inventive and just damn cool! It's a big improvement, in my opinion, over the dated spandex or leather look; and regular cloth just looks cheap. We finally have a suit that doesn't incite giggles at the mere sight of it, and for that, I am pleased.

ArmsHeldOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:26 AM   #102
Mike22
Side-Kick

What bothers me the most is the lack of trunks. I know this pose and lighting is no doubt done purposefully to ease the fans into accepting such a design change when a more clearer picture is revealed, which might not be anytime soon because they might feel more time is needed for the fans to adjust.

Secondly, that second layer on his right thigh bugs me and raises some legitimate concerns. It's not just a seam as has been suggested, it's clearly a patch of sorts that's a second layer on top of the first one. And also, doesn't seem to be textured like the cuffs on his forearms, could be wrong on that though.

I know people seem to love the boots, but damn, they're higher than I was expecting. Didn't care to much for that, but it's really a non-issue.

And finally, the now already beat to death issue of the hair. It's not as good as it could have been, but I'm confident they'll change this.
Shorter hair is a lot complimentary to Cavils square face.

Mike22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:14 AM   #103
sf2
Side-Kick

i can't get over it...

i'm turning into the darkside...

:evil:

Old 08-08-2011, 09:26 AM   #104
Sherlock Holmes
Banned User

I have to honestly say the only thing that bothers me ia how brilliant it is. But I get the impression I'm setting myself up for a fall. There is bound to be something I don't like.

Sherlock Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:39 PM   #105
Slugster
the Slugster

I like the whole feel and look of the pic. Im surprized at how much I like it.

Slugster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:54 PM   #106
7heBoss
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes View Post
I have to honestly say the only thing that bothers me ia how brilliant it is. But I get the impression I'm setting myself up for a fall. There is bound to be something I don't like.
Haha, this is the same reason I punch babies. They are just so adorable it bothers me.

7heBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:54 PM   #107
daveswb
Side-Kick

I don't get why people are saying there are no trunks. I can't tell from the pic if they are there or not. What bothers me the most he doesn't look like Superman in the pic. He looks like Elvis! Elvis in a Superman costume. Elvisman comming to thearters....

Last edited by daveswb; 08-08-2011 at 01:58 PM.
daveswb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:57 PM   #108
Sherlock Holmes
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7heBoss View Post
Haha, this is the same reason I punch babies. They are just so adorable it bothers me.
You punch babies... You may need some help dude.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:04 PM   #109
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes View Post
You punch babies... You may need some help dude.
Nah. I think he can punch babies without any help.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:08 PM   #110
Sherlock Holmes
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
Nah. I think he can punch babies without any help.
Oh that's ok then. Big weight of my mind.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:14 PM   #111
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveswb View Post
I don't get why people are saying there are no trunks. I can't tell from the pic if they are there or not. What bothers me the most he doesn't look like Superman in the pic. He looks like Elvis! Elvis in a Superman costume. Elvisman comming to thearters....
The funny thing is I used to think Christopher Reeve's Superman hair was a little Elvis-ish.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:15 PM   #112
djingo
Newbie First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveswb View Post
What bothers me the most he doesn't look like Superman in the pic. He looks like Elvis! Elvis in a Superman costume. Elvisman comming to thearters....

I'm glad to see that there is at least one objectiv person on this boards !
I like the suit for the full 100% but i don't like the man who's inside the suit. Porhabs, and i hope so, i will chance my idea during the next 2 years but from day 1 they announced that Cavil was the new Superman untill this very moment i still don't see Superman in this guy his face.

djingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:33 PM   #113
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

Let me guess.. he's too "dark" right?

Old 08-08-2011, 02:35 PM   #114
Spider-Fan83
Thwip Thwip

if anything
I'd probably say the over all tone of it...
bad lighting, dark shads, muted colors, out of context scene, awkward angle (it doesn't even look like him in that shot),...

but, the actually look, an the suit it self, I don't mind
(I'd just like a clearer, well lite, full color, view of it)

Last edited by Spider-Fan83; 08-08-2011 at 02:39 PM.
Spider-Fan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:53 PM   #115
Greeneyes
The World Isn't Ready

Well it's quite obvious to me what I like least with the picture?,it's the veins in his left hand!

They are far too prominent,especially the second vein from the right,and I don't like the color of them at all,traditionally Superman's veins did not show this much!

I'm shocked at what they have done with this,and Zack Snyder should be ashamed,I am from this moment on never watching another Superman movie again,they have destroyed and Killed Superman for real this time!

Sorry,being serious though,I don't mind anything in the picture,I like it all.

Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:56 PM   #116
Kahoot

What is wrong with the shield design? How is it any different from normal Superman stuff?

For Everything A Reason
Fallen Empires Are Ruling
F.E.A.R.
Kahoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:16 PM   #117
tantuspatronus
Side-Kick

Guys, you gotta look at this from another angle. Be happy we at least got boots and a cape. While you are complaining about his hair or the lack of trunks, you are missing the point that the suit looks a great deal like superman! I for one wasn't expecting Snyder to stick this close to the classic look, and I for one love the new suit. Does it have flaws? Yes. But it's good enough that it won't ruin the movie for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahoot View Post
What is wrong with the shield design? How is it any different from normal Superman stuff?
I for one like the shield. It's different, yet completely reconizable. It's still red and gold, and is a perfect size. The logo is one of the things on this suit I wouldn't change at all.

tantuspatronus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:19 PM   #118
Motown Marvel
Crimson and Clover

lack of trunks is most disappointing. i can get past other issues i have with it, but the lack of trunks....

Old 08-08-2011, 03:22 PM   #119
Sherlock Holmes
Banned User

Its amazing how much love for the trunks there is. People saying they didn't want them. Now we don't and people want them. Just can't please some people.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:50 PM   #120
RetrogradeOrbit
My own Dark Passenger

The apparent lack of trunks bothers me the most. Something has to be in the middle to break up all that blue...
A minor quibble when taking everything into account, as pretty much everything else looks as if it is shaping up to be epic. A long time to go though, sigh.

I got thrown out of a window! What's the f***ing charge for getting pushed out of a moving car, huh? Jaywalking?

My father gave me one piece of advice. He said "Always. .." No, he said "Never..." well actually he gave me two pieces of advice, I've forgotten the other one. But the important one is, "Never chase a man over a cliff".
RetrogradeOrbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:06 PM   #121
tantuspatronus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathlok View Post
The apparent lack of trunks bothers me the most. Something has to be in the middle to break up all that blue...
A minor quibble when taking everything into account, as pretty much everything else looks as if it is shaping up to be epic. A long time to go though, sigh.
That just gives us more time to over-analyze the color of another man's crotch...

tantuspatronus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:26 PM   #122
EtherMagic
Side-Kick

I am a VERY traditional Superman fan, but I am also willing to except some change, as long as they stay true to character, which I believe they have. I am very happy with the everything about the new suit, I can see it all flowing very well in live action shots, I just hope the colors are brighter then the lighting suggest.

With that said, the "HAIR" is my main concern with the Pic. It's obvious what they are trying do with the Pic, to make him look more serious, more confident (as he should look), and more intimidating (which is cool), but give me the curl with less poofy-ness and I'll be really happy (I'm LOVING some of the Photoshopped Pics in the Hair Thread! lol If they can get his hair looking like that, I'll feel better about it).

Trunks: Took me a while to get over the trunks (this was months back with some of the Photoshopped Pics in the costume thread), but I'm really diggin it now. Gives more of a modern feel to the character, they made the right call IMO.

Texture: Gonna look great on film

S Shield: LOOOVE IT!!!

Overall I'm loving the direction they are taking this (unlike Routh in 06').

Last edited by EtherMagic; 08-08-2011 at 09:37 PM.
EtherMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:44 PM   #123
klark cent
Side-Kick

Three things:
1) Lack of red trunks - this is sorely lacking from the main elements of Superman uniform as presented in comic books (cape, boots, trunks, symbol, belt, color scheme). I don't mind the seams at all and it's nice that they got creative with the type of material to use.
2) Cavill looking like Clive Owen-sporting-an-Elvis-hair-with-receeding-hairline-and-shaved-eyebrows Call me shallow but I hate to see a balding actor playing the role no matter how good he is. Superman should be on-screen/off-screen.
3) It would have been nice if it was accompanied by another photo showing the uniform in a behind-the-scene/candid moment of Cavill wearing it in full spectrum/natural lighting. This would clear up suspicions that the one we're seeing is a test pic, smoke-and-mirrors intended to 'hide' the trunkless design in order to steer the attention of the viewers to the other parts of the photo. I have a nagging thought that they will stick with this design moving forward and will insist that nobody complained much about the trunks (... you purposely hid it WB! FAIL)

Last edited by klark cent; 08-08-2011 at 09:50 PM.
klark cent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:32 PM   #124
GregComicFan
movie and comic buff

Why is Superman's hair a big deal? You're saying Superman, who ages slower than human begins, would never change his hairstyle? The character was created in the 1940s and yet we can't change up his haircut?

If Superman had a military buzzcut, he'd still look like Superman... the uniform is what is recognizable.

GregComicFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:18 AM   #125
SuperDaniel
Banned User

What's wrong? The hair looks bad. Simple like that. Superman is known for his facial structure too since he doesnt wear a mask. I say his hair is as important as his cape.

SuperDaniel is offline   Reply With Quote