The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

View Poll Results: Do you know someone who is unemployed, under-employed, or someone who has given up?
Yes 35 94.59%
No 2 5.41%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2011, 08:51 PM   #1
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,270
Default Re: The Unemployment Situation

Ok, I'm tired of hearing (mostly) nothing but bad news. Let's start using this thread to help too.

My company is hiring like crazy. If you're in California and are in accountancy, finance, or operations, I can refer you to HR for an interview.

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:57 AM   #2
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 0
Default The Unemployment Situation II

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Thread Manager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:57 AM   #3
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay
 
Lightning Strykez!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Where Mortals Fear To Tread
Posts: 31,399
Default The Unemployment Situation

Skynet lurks. New thread time!

__________________
The only advantage you'll ever have over me is that you can kiss my ass...and I can't.


Last edited by Marx; 08-07-2011 at 06:53 PM.
Lightning Strykez! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:57 AM   #4
Paradoxium
.
 
Paradoxium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 22,287
Default Re: The Unemployment Situation

Obama needs to add 256k jobs per month from now to 2012 election day to return to 2007 levels.

__________________
.
.
Paradoxium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:58 AM   #5
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys
 
terry78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 59,656
Default Re: The Unemployment Situation - Part 1

It's never going to get back to what it was regardless of who's in the White House at this point.

__________________
The only thing funnier than watching stupid people argue is watching smart people argue.
-----------
Who the **** makes a movie and while planning it is like, "you know what this needs...is some Greg Kinnear."
terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:59 AM   #6
Paradoxium
.
 
Paradoxium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 22,287
Default Re: The Unemployment Situation - Part 1

Well mathematically speaking that's what it will take.

__________________
.
.
Paradoxium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 12:03 PM   #7
8wid
Banned User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 4,166
Default Re: The Unemployment Situation - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradoxium View Post
Well mathematically speaking that's what it will take.
And the only way that is going to happen is if there is a major war. I guess the idea of invading Iran is going to get popular again for you Americans.

8wid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 05:54 PM   #8
enterthemadness
The Triumvirate
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mortalville!
Posts: 28,092
Default Re: The Unemployment Situation - Part 1

War does create jobs...but also brings doom to the world overall. Win/lose situation.

enterthemadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 12:40 PM   #9
Damn Dirty Ape
Banned User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 9
Default Re: The Unemployment Situation - Part 1

Tax exemptions for companies should not be the default. They should only receive them if they keep and expand jobs in America. Why the **** is the American gov't so blind?

Damn Dirty Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 06:53 PM   #10
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Marx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 54,886
Default Re: The Unemployment Situation - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
It's never going to get back to what it was regardless of who's in the White House at this point.
I tend to agree terry.

__________________
It can't rain all the time.
Marx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:51 PM   #11
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Marx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 54,886
Lightbulb Re: The Unemployment Situation II

UPDATE: NINE STATES CUTTING UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS
http://247wallst.com/2011/08/04/the-...ment-benefits/

__________________
It can't rain all the time.
Marx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:20 PM   #12
samsnee
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 3,998
Default Re: The Unemployment Situation II

Yeah, we're all screwed, doesn't matter if it's Dem or Rep who is president.

samsnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:39 PM   #13
Paradoxium
.
 
Paradoxium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 22,287
Default Re: The Unemployment Situation II

Sure it does. One can accelerate the fail time and make more $$$ betting the other way.


__________________
.
.
Paradoxium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:02 PM   #14
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Marx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 54,886
Lightbulb Re: The Unemployment Situation II

UPDATE: ONLY 60 PERCENT OF AMERICANS ARE EMPLOYED?
http://money.cnn.com/2011/08/08/news....htm?hpt=hp_t2

Good grief...

__________________
It can't rain all the time.
Marx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:07 PM   #15
enterthemadness
The Triumvirate
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mortalville!
Posts: 28,092
Default Re: The Unemployment Situation II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marx View Post
UPDATE: ONLY 60 PERCENT OF AMERICANS ARE EMPLOYED?
http://money.cnn.com/2011/08/08/news....htm?hpt=hp_t2

Good grief...
Question. If I work only one day a week, and I'm a indie contractor passing out newspapers...am I counted? Guessing no...

__________________

enterthemadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:18 PM   #16
BlackLantern
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 77,184
Default Re: The Unemployment Situation II

also...I think a big part of this mess is that when companies (like my previous job) started cutting staff, they realized they could handle their existing workload with their current staffing

so even when some companies could hire more, they don't

BlackLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:21 PM   #17
Paradoxium
.
 
Paradoxium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 22,287
Default Re: The Unemployment Situation II



I bet there has been a influx of people going back for a degree still. And I bet a good chunk of it are at law schools. Furthermore I bet most of them going to 2nd tier ones which will saddle them with bigger debts with a low paying 30-40k job at best. Since, the high paying gigs are in BIGLAW and from Ivy League schools. And for a sector that adds no real value to society and progress (no offense lawyers, I am not saying it's unnecessary...).

Good to know.

__________________
.
.
Paradoxium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:23 PM   #18
Paradoxium
.
 
Paradoxium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 22,287
Default Re: The Unemployment Situation II

I said it before, I say it again. The only way to drastically, immediately and mathematically reduce unemployment is immigration policy.

__________________
.
.
Paradoxium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:27 PM   #19
BlackLantern
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 77,184
Default Re: The Unemployment Situation II

Georgia tried that...and now have fields of crops sitting out in the sun rotting....

BlackLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:28 PM   #20
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,270
Default Re: The Unemployment Situation II

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLantern View Post
also...I think a big part of this mess is that when companies (like my previous job) started cutting staff, they realized they could handle their existing workload with their current staffing

so even when some companies could hire more, they don't
Honestly, unless they're expecting some kind of growth, if a company doesn't need more people, they shouldn't hire more, even though they could.

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:28 PM   #21
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,270
Default Re: The Unemployment Situation II

Cutting immigration doesn't work if the native workers refuse to do the jobs.

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:30 PM   #22
BlackLantern
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 77,184
Default Re: The Unemployment Situation II

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegeabo View Post
Cutting immigration doesn't work if the native workers refuse to do the jobs.

BlackLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:35 PM   #23
Paradoxium
.
 
Paradoxium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 22,287
Default Re: The Unemployment Situation II

Well they better be ready to accept the reality. Lot of entitled ****s need a dose of that. You see that NY Times about the rich wives of the wall streeters now having support groups because they can't go on spending binges? I wanted to vomit.

But that's all I have, it's the most immediate and drastic solution. A moratorium by math.

__________________
.
.
Paradoxium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:40 PM   #24
Paradoxium
.
 
Paradoxium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 22,287
Default Re: The Unemployment Situation II

A secondary problem I notice is people with underwater mortgages.

It goes something like this:

John Doe owns an underwater mortgage, he doesn't move for better opportunities since he is stuck there. Had he not been stuck economically, his job would have went to say Sally Sue who is now still unemployed.

__________________
.
.
Paradoxium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:44 PM   #25
BlackLantern
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 77,184
Default Re: The Unemployment Situation II

that ties into people getting loans/mortgages who shouldn't have been getting them in the first place...they get told by society that you NEED to be a homeowner, so you scrimp and save and now you're screwed

and yea, there are a lot of graduates who aren't going to have jobs...2 of my cousins have 4 yr degrees and are working nowhere near the field they thought they would end up in

BlackLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:43 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.