The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

View Poll Results: Do you know someone who is unemployed, under-employed, or someone who has given up?
Yes 35 94.59%
No 2 5.41%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-26-2011, 01:09 AM   #51
CGHulk
Green Guy

Default Re: The Unemployment Situation II

Well my father was laid off today from Blue-Cross of California, sending all of their jobs off to Manila Philippines! Most of the people he worked with are single mothers! You gotta love corporate greed!

"All that was great in the past, was ridiculed, condemned, combatted, suppressed." -Nikola Tesla

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” – Margaret Mead
CGHulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:01 AM   #52
Handsome Rob
Prepare for Razzle-Dazzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradoxium View Post
Congratulations are in order for Illinois' War on Jobs.

California is following suit. Maybe even Obama.

That's impossible--it's gotta be something else. Tax hikes only affect government coffers . . . they have no effect on employment, because they have no effect on a company's bottom line. Since all companies (particularly evil corporations) have a money tree on the premises, more money going to the government doesn't mean less money to pay employees with.

Want to join the Revolution? Support the FairTax.

Handsome Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:51 PM   #53
wiegeabo
Omniposcient

Chaulk another victory up to California's business unfriendly environment.

I love my state, we're usually the most progressive socially. But we don't know how to run a business worth a damn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:24 PM   #54
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator

Lightbulb Re: The Unemployment Situation II

PRESIDENT OBAMA: DISCRIMINATORY PRACTICES AGAINST JOBLESS SHOULD BE BANNED
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_942359.html

Old 08-31-2011, 04:24 AM   #55
bell110
Drunk on Capitol Hill

I seriously want to know what the logic is behind "unemployed need not apply".

bell110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:50 AM   #56
BlackLantern
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bell110 View Post
Probably so they don't get flooded with resumes, or unqualified people applying.

BlackLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:17 AM   #57
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bell110 View Post
Me too.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:56 PM   #58
chaseter
Bland User

If you were the owner of a business and you had a job opening...who are you going to hire:

Someone with a degree that was fired but found a job at Target until they could find a better job,

or

Someone with a degree that was fired and got on unemployment for 99 weeks for whatever reason?

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:58 PM   #59
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator

The qualifications remain the same.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:01 PM   #60
Franklin Richards
Banned User

He was forced to pay the government that unemployment money and now you're saying he shouldn't make the government give it back to him?

I thought you guys were against the government taking what doesn't belong to them? Why gimp a man who's just getting what's his?

Franklin Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:02 PM   #61
NHawk19
insert witty comment

Not really. They're looking for people with drive and assuming that a lot of those that were cut and did nothing were dead weight at their previous job. It might not be fair and I hope I never have to go through it but that's what it is.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:02 PM   #62
chaseter
Bland User

A 2 year gap in employment is not the same qualifications. You hire the person BEST suited for the position. If they have the same background and the only thing that separates them is their job history, well then that is a difference in qualifications.

But...that doesn't matter. This is all just smoke and mirrors do you know why? Because it's not like there are more jobs if we start hiring the unemployed. If someone currently working at Target goes to work at Wells Fargo, then someone will be hired to replace them at Target. It's all just a political ploy to rally support for a voting block.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
Old 08-31-2011, 01:03 PM   #63
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator

I think it's incredibly insulting to suggest that those who are unemployed through no fault of their own have no drive or less of a drive than someone else.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:03 PM   #64
chaseter
Bland User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin Richards View Post
He was forced to pay the government that unemployment money and now you're saying he shouldn't make the government give it back to him?

I thought you guys were against the government taking what doesn't belong to them? Why gimp a man who's just getting what's his?

What on Earth are you talking about

Old 08-31-2011, 01:05 PM   #65
NHawk19
insert witty comment

they really need to just boost the infrastructure portion. That money hits about 10-30 different companies depending on the size and scope of the project. That's the only thing short of decreasing spending and taxes that will make people warm and fuzy enough to start spending again.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:08 PM   #66
NHawk19
insert witty comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marx View Post
I think it's incredibly insulting to suggest that those who are unemployed through no fault of their own have no drive or less of a drive than someone else.
I didnt say it was fair. I said that's one of the ways they are judging. They're looking for proof that you're trying to do something and not just sitting by collecting unemployment. It sucks but if you've been out of work for a while its true.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:10 PM   #67
chaseter
Bland User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marx View Post
I think it's incredibly insulting to suggest that those who are unemployed through no fault of their own have no drive.
You mean to tell me that if offered two candidates that only differ in their work history, that you would deny the person who took a 75% pay cut to work at Burger King for 2 years as opposed to a person who has been on unemployment for 2 years? Really?

I would hire the guy that worked at Burger King. You know what that says about that candidate? It says that he is a hard worker, determined, and has resolve. It's just not worth the risk to try and weed out the ones who cannot work because there are actually zero jobs from the ones who choose not to work because it isn't something they want to do or have a degree in.

And again, it doesn't matter. There are still going to be the exact same number of jobs. Hiring the guy who works at Burger King over the guy on unemployment for 99 weeks isn't going to change the state of our economy and create more jobs out of thin air. This is all a political ruse.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:17 PM   #68
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHawk19 View Post
I didnt say it was fair. I said that's one of the ways they are judging. They're looking for proof that you're trying to do something and not just sitting by collecting unemployment. It sucks but if you've been out of work for a while its true.
...but you're furthering this notion that just because someone is unemployed and collecting unemployment that means they're sitting at home on their butt doing nothing. In the larger majority of cases, that couldn't be farther from the truth. People are looking and applying for job after job only to get nothing. Looking for a job has become a full-time job in and of itself.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:21 PM   #69
NHawk19
insert witty comment

It can be but when places are flooded with 2000 applicants for one position they have to find ways to quickly rule people out. Unforetunately I've heard from some people in HR that if people didnt step back and look at lowes for burger king and instead kept collecting for the bulk of the 99 weeks they could that they are placed further down the list.

The notion is that in the first round the "dead weight" went first, and those that werent were quickly snached up. Like I said it's unfortunate.

People should consider taking lesser positions or re-training if they can though to try and ditch some of the stigma. Even if they were taking courses and not working it could help boost them.

Last edited by NHawk19; 08-31-2011 at 01:24 PM.
NHawk19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:24 PM   #70
chaseter
Bland User

It's how HR has always operated. They look at gaps in employment. It's about hiring the best person for the job and if everyone's credentials are exactly the same, then it comes down to work history.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:55 PM   #71
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator

Lightbulb Re: The Unemployment Situation II

UPDATE: AUGUST JOBS REPORT CONTINUES TO DISAPPOINT
http://money.cnn.com/2011/08/31/news....htm?hpt=hp_t2

Old 08-31-2011, 01:59 PM   #72
NHawk19
insert witty comment

Well it's going to get interesting. They did note the Verizon Strike which is coming to an end, but now construction season is due to draw to a close in 8 weeks. So road and infrastructure projects will no doubt see their seasonal lay-offs.

On a bright note at the same time we should also see an up tick in Xmas seasonal employment offers.

Old 08-31-2011, 05:26 PM   #73
Handsome Rob

Being totally unemployed or without a job for two years, short of having a severe medical crisis or being held hostage by Iran, is utterly inexcusable. You can look for a job while employed part time or full time--I looked for, interviewed for, and was hired for my current job while I was working full time (with plenty of overtime each month). You can even go into business for yourself.

I would hire someone with slightly weaker or even weaker job skills who looked for work while flipping burgers at McDonalds during the day and delivering pizzas at night for two years over someone who held absolutely no job over the same two year period and was living off unemployment.

To me, the first employee places a value on the idea and importance of work, even if it's something he doesn't really want to do--that smacks of a strong work ethic. I figure he can and will learn whatever he's lacking. The second employee appears to place a value on doing only what he wants to do, and he is willing to mostly mooch off of the state/federal gov't (translation: me, the taxpayer) for two years until he gets what he wants.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:44 PM   #74
amazingfantasy15
Side-Kick

There's something everyone is forgetting about when they're talking about the white collar worker who's laid off and then works at McDonald's or Target or anything like that. They're overqualified for that job, it's not going to challenge them. When my dad lost his job a few years ago, part of his search did include places retail type places, they wouldn't hire him because he was too educated.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:25 AM   #75
Handsome Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingfantasy15 View Post
There's something everyone is forgetting about when they're talking about the white collar worker who's laid off and then works at McDonald's or Target or anything like that. They're overqualified for that job, it's not going to challenge them. When my dad lost his job a few years ago, part of his search did include places retail type places, they wouldn't hire him because he was too educated.
If it's putting food on the table for the time being, who cares if it "challenges them?" I'd be bored to tears working on the floor of Wal-Mart or a grocery store. But, I'd do it if that's what I had to do.

You do make a good point about the "too educated" part, though. It will probably keep them out of some jobs. But, that's where the entrepreneurial spirit can come in. If you can't get a job, you can always go into business for yourself. Wash cars, mow lawns and do yardwork, start your own same-day courier service, etc. Even if all those ventures eventually fail, at least you tried. That counts for something.