The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

View Poll Results: Do you know someone who is unemployed, under-employed, or someone who has given up?
Yes 35 94.59%
No 2 5.41%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-04-2013, 11:13 AM   #776
Kirk Langstrom
FRANCINE!!!!

Default Re: The Unemployment Situation II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
Oh wow CS, I'm sorry to hear that.....
Thanks Kel! i managed to get another job right away, but at nearly a 50% cut in pay.

I spent most of last summer learning how do downsize my lifestyle, but at least we're surviving, lol...

Old 02-04-2013, 11:27 AM   #777
Kelly
Hoity Toity Administrator
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainStacy View Post
Thanks Kel! i managed to get another job right away, but at nearly a 50% cut in pay.

I spent most of last summer learning how do downsize my lifestyle, but at least we're surviving, lol...
Well, they say that finding a job you want, is much easier when you have a job.

Yeah, I've been doing some of that downsizing myself. I had no idea, just how much I was spending going out to eat as much as I do, my cellphone, etc. Downsizing on those 2 things, cut my expenses each month by close to $500.00. It is amazing....I was spending close to $120.00 a month on my cellphone just to have all the gadgets, most of which I don't use. So, I said to hell with that went to Walmart, got me a nice little phone, just enough minutes for me per month and unlimited texting...cost me $30.00/ month. And now cooking more, I am eating healthier, and I've cut my expenses close to $400+ on food. I also took off all of the premium channels on my Cable....and just have the basic+internet. That cut that expense by about $50.00/month.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:51 PM   #778
Destructus86
Side-Kick

Quote:
Well, they say that finding a job you want, is much easier when you have a job.

Yeah, I've been doing some of that downsizing myself. I had no idea, just how much I was spending going out to eat as much as I do, my cellphone, etc. Downsizing on those 2 things, cut my expenses each month by close to $500.00. It is amazing....I was spending close to $120.00 a month on my cellphone just to have all the gadgets, most of which I don't use. So, I said to hell with that went to Walmart, got me a nice little phone, just enough minutes for me per month and unlimited texting...cost me $30.00/ month. And now cooking more, I am eating healthier, and I've cut my expenses close to $400+ on food. I also took off all of the premium channels on my Cable....and just have the basic+internet. That cut that expense by about $50.00/month.

Awesome job!!!!

Yeah, i've done the same. I don't even have a smart phone. I really only use my phone for calling or texting, so I don't need the over priced data plan. PLus my mp3 player can use all the apps I wanted anyway. I don't have cable...I found that combining hulu/netflix and buying episodes of other shows on Amazon actually is WAY cheaper than if I paid for cable monthly. (there's really only like 1 or 2 shows I buy episodes for)

And yeah...going out to eat less, cooking more helps big time.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:10 PM   #779
Kelly
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructus86 View Post
Awesome job!!!!

Yeah, i've done the same. I don't even have a smart phone. I really only use my phone for calling or texting, so I don't need the over priced data plan. PLus my mp3 player can use all the apps I wanted anyway. I don't have cable...I found that combining hulu/netflix and buying episodes of other shows on Amazon actually is WAY cheaper than if I paid for cable monthly. (there's really only like 1 or 2 shows I buy episodes for)

And yeah...going out to eat less, cooking more helps big time.
I've also begun picking and choosing my movies more.....if it is a Rom/Com and I don't necessarily need to see it on the big screen to get the full feel for the movie, then it is "On Demand" $4.99 instead of the $15.00 I would spend at the movies, and if I can wait...it is $1.99 at Red Box. Heck, today many of the movies I want to watch are $6.99 same day as theatre on my "On Demand"....so if I just can't wait, I'll do that and still pay half of what I would pay at the theatre. I wanted to see "The Impossible" on the big screen so I paid for that, many of the movies this past holiday I'm just waiting...

Old 02-04-2013, 02:42 PM   #780
Gold Samurai
Side-Kick

I graduated from college last fall. I landed a job in a school district IT department.

The IT staffing company contracted me for 30 hours for Monday to Thursday at the school. So last Friday is my day off and I'm sleeping in. I get a call from my recruiter. She's got some bad news.

The Director of IT(my supervisor) has decided to immediately end my contract.

I was completely heart broken. I had only been there for 3 months. It came out of the blue. The last words my supervisor said at the end of Thursday was "I'm off to my chiropractic session"

My recruiter told to me just drop the staff keys at the IT staffing firm instead of heading back to the school(understandable)

I know some of my faults were that I looked unsure and sometimes second guessed myself.

I asked my supervisor the other week how long I had left. He said that he'd let me know in advance. He also didn't think the extension(past March) he proposed would be accepted

The worst part is how I didn't get the same treatment as the other tech hired.

They were all chummy talking about religion and football which I wasn't into. With me there were no common interests. It was just small chat

I didn't get access to the web support software till a month AFTER the other tech arrived.

My desk was a metal piece of junk. The other tech inherited the mahogany desk from the previous tech.

Early in my contract my supervisor said I'd get a better desk. He said it was "unacceptable". The desk was still there when I left.

Gold Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:14 PM   #781
Kelly
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold Samurai View Post
I graduated from college last fall. I landed a job in a school district IT department.

The IT staffing company contracted me for 30 hours for Monday to Thursday at the school. So last Friday is my day off and I'm sleeping in. I get a call from my recruiter. She's got some bad news.

The Director of IT(my supervisor) has decided to immediately end my contract.

I was completely heart broken. I had only been there for 3 months. It came out of the blue. The last words my supervisor said at the end of Thursday was "I'm off to my chiropractic session"

My recruiter told to me just drop the staff keys at the IT staffing firm instead of heading back to the school(understandable)

I know some of my faults were that I looked unsure and sometimes second guessed myself.

I asked my supervisor the other week how long I had left. He said that he'd let me know in advance. He also didn't think the extension(past March) he proposed would be accepted

The worst part is how I didn't get the same treatment as the other tech hired.

They were all chummy talking about religion and football which I wasn't into. With me there were no common interests. It was just small chat

I didn't get access to the web support software till a month AFTER the other tech arrived.

My desk was a metal piece of junk. The other tech inherited the mahogany desk from the previous tech.

Early in my contract my supervisor said I'd get a better desk. He said it was "unacceptable". The desk was still there when I left.
Welcome to the world of education.....before I totally go off on a sarcastic rant...let me say that I'm really sorry you lost your job, losing a job is never easy, no matter how long you have had it.

But as I said, that is the world of education. Now, if you were a union teacher, having taught for 25 years, students doing poorly on tests, no classroom management skills, etc....then you would still be working there, and have your job until Jesus comes back.

Unfortunately for you, contract work is just like that....it is scary as hell, because you are just never sure how long you have the job. BUT, I can say this....IT work is the "it" industry today...so you do have skills that are needed. I hope you find a job soon....

Old 02-04-2013, 03:24 PM   #782
enterthemadness
The Triumvirate

Quote:
I'll be thinking about you at 1:30 P.M. tomorrow......positive vibes moving your way....you do have this. : )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiday View Post
Good luck dawg. Get that money.

It went good, mostly a good interview. I will know either tomorrow or Wed if I get the second interview. Panera Bread does two interviews. One with Assist Manager, and a second one with General Manager. Interview was around 20 minutes.

enterthemadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:46 PM   #783
Kelly
SHH! Administrator

Well, here is hoping......*crosses fingers, eyes, toes"...

Old 02-05-2013, 01:28 PM   #784
Steyin
Project Designer, LEED AP

Ill be unemployed in another 2 weeks. My firm is nearly going out of business and an opportunity was given for the staff (the 4 of us) to move onto another office while continuing to do work part time for my boss. I didn't like the work the new office does (mainly healthcare), so I decided not to accept.

I'll get unemployment, but at least I have some people I can freelance 3D model & render for. I've been applying for jobs since new years, but no luck/communication back yet. Architects take forever to get back to anyone

Also good timing on my taxes as I'll get my refund in another 2 weeks. In the meantime, I'm updating my portfolio and 3D before I apply for the "better" jobs I'd like.

My LEGO Gallery
Steyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:16 PM   #785
Destructus86
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steyin View Post
Ill be unemployed in another 2 weeks. My firm is nearly going out of business and an opportunity was given for the staff (the 4 of us) to move onto another office while continuing to do work part time for my boss. I didn't like the work the new office does (mainly healthcare), so I decided not to accept.

I'll get unemployment, but at least I have some people I can freelance 3D model & render for. I've been applying for jobs since new years, but no luck/communication back yet. Architects take forever to get back to anyone

Also good timing on my taxes as I'll get my refund in another 2 weeks. In the meantime, I'm updating my portfolio and 3D before I apply for the "better" jobs I'd like.
I'm not sure why...but to me it seems like that kind of career is harder to find a job for than most. And i'm not sure why I feel that...

In other news, my supervisor was let go (along with other people) last week and now it's just me in my department. I feel like I was running with a squad through a landmine field and I was the only one that made it out a live :P

Old 02-06-2013, 10:50 AM   #786
enterthemadness
The Triumvirate

Quote:
Well, here is hoping......*crosses fingers, eyes, toes"...

Well, Panera Bread hasn't called...and it's going on Noon, Wed.

Well, well, well, I shall remember this and never eat at your place (Panera Bread) in my life.

enterthemadness is offline   Reply With Quote