The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 08-07-2011, 01:23 PM   #26
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Default Re: Should the transformation process (from CK to Superman) remain traditional?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptonian Warrior View Post
Agreed! We should just suspend our disbelief for the "How come his suit doesn't show underneath his normal clothes" question. I mean, it is what it is and let's just move on. I don't really need it explained, nor do I really care. He is freaking Superman, for goodness sake! Do we REALLY need to have that aspect of Superman explained to us?
We really don't.

Besides, what would movies taking the mickey out of the Superhero genre have to work with, if we took out everything ridiculous? Let them go with the 'haha, how silly is trying to fit a whole superhero costume under your clothes' and we'll just enjoy the film.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
hopefuldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 01:36 PM   #27
Kurosawa
Banned User

Default Re: Should the transformation process (from CK to Superman) remain traditional?

They can just stick with the shirt rip. It's suspension of disbelief, plus the costume is pretty darn skintight anyway.

Kurosawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 02:14 PM   #28
SatEL
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sage View Post
Right on.

I recall someone who used to post here, Superboy I think, who said he wore a Superman costume under his clothes to school, including the cape and no one noticed. So there is a level of plausibility. Maybe you can even say that since it's alien fabric, it's somehow easier to slip under his work suit.

Even if there isn't, it's not a big deal. It's one the of top things that Superman does.

A bigger question is...should he do the Dean Cain spin?
Lol Nah nothing as fruity as that, leave that in the 90's.

SatEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 02:18 PM   #29
Kal-El.9859
Life Found A Way

I want to see the shirt rip...the boots to me look thin enough to where he could wear them inside his shoes. The cape I guess he could make it small enough to wear under his clothes...but a briefcase is a good idea for a quick cape change

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Kal-El.9859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 02:44 PM   #30
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
They can just stick with the shirt rip. It's suspension of disbelief, plus the costume is pretty darn skintight anyway.
It's actually thick, with those things in his wrists and those bumps all over, big raised shield. Not to mention a massive cape.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 02:56 PM   #31
Kurosawa
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
It's actually thick, with those things in his wrists and those bumps all over, big raised shield. Not to mention a massive cape.
Cape is huge. Still want the classic.

Kurosawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 02:56 PM   #32
Rodrigo90
Hip To Be Square

If this was a Chris Nolan film, I would get prepared for SOME sort of ******** explanation for everything!

But since this is a Zack Synder movie, I'm getting myself prepared for not caring about realism anymore

Anyways. My first ever experience with Superman, was the game for Megadrive (Genesis). And my fav thing about it...since I couldn't past the 2nd level...was seeing Clark go into the phonebooth, and suddenly, BANG! There was Superman flying at you! I really want to see that...not Chris Reeve eyeing up a crappy phonebooth and going into revolving doors, not Dean Cain changing in the toilets, not the crappiest shirt rip in history by Brandon Routh, not a teasing shirt rip by Tom Welling...But Henry Cavill ripping his shirt, jumping in the phonebooth, a swirl of colors, and out pops Superman!

....I still have nightmares...when you die in the game...and a Galactus sized Brainiac peers over the world...

Old 08-07-2011, 04:19 PM   #33
\S/JcDc\S/
Panned User

Timberlake voice:

"It's my suit in a box... Ohh baby... My suit in a box"

Old 08-07-2011, 04:26 PM   #34
\S/JcDc\S/
Panned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El.9859 View Post
I want to see the shirt rip...the boots to me look thin enough to where he could wear them inside his shoes. The cape I guess he could make it small enough to wear under his clothes...but a briefcase is a good idea for a quick cape change
So nobody likes that he can super compact his clothing?

Old 08-07-2011, 04:27 PM   #35
Kal-El.9859
Life Found A Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by \S/JcDc\S/ View Post
So nobody likes that he can super compact his clothing?
I don't mind that at all...others may have a problem with it

Old 08-07-2011, 04:29 PM   #36
\S/JcDc\S/
Panned User

He had a liner in the cape he put the CK clothes in. I don't think it should be explained that he does that. I wouldn't bother with an explanation, but if you need one you can assume he super compacts the clothing. So you can sleep at night. I think I read that in a comic before actually.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:35 PM   #37
Kal-El.9859
Life Found A Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by \S/JcDc\S/ View Post
He had a liner in the cape he put the CK clothes in. I don't think it should be explained that he does that. I wouldn't bother with an explanation, but if you need one you can assume he super compacts the clothing. So you can sleep at night. I think I read that in a comic before actually.
I know I've heard that explanation before. I like it better than Superman just leaving his Clark Kent clothes laying around for people to find them and start to think that Clark is running around naked somewhere

Old 08-07-2011, 04:42 PM   #38
SuperSteel
Newbie First Class

As for shirt rips! I loved the elevator scene is SR with the transformation to Supes. Yet, as for supes first shirt rip in SR there was nothing real heroic or really saying it's SUPERMAN TIME! Reeve in STM when they first show the world Supes is much more AWESOME then SR first showing out Supes. I hope MOS does what Donner and Reeve did in 78.

SuperSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 05:02 PM   #39
\S/JcDc\S/
Panned User

I won't explain that the SR shirt rip was an afterthought where he was going to be dumb enough to forget his costume. Oh wait... Anyways it does not count as a shirt rip scene to me.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:11 PM   #40
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
Cape is huge. Still want the classic.
I proposed a way on the previous page that includes both a Kryptonian tech that could explain the suit apparition and still having the shirt rip. And in fact, it's not quite different than the Donner movies where he wouldn't remove his clothes but just opern his shirt to "start" the transformation.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 06:27 PM   #41
ElDuderino
Side-Kick

He has super speed. I have no idea why this is ever an issue with anyone. If he kept it hanging on clothes hangers in his apartment, he could get there, change, and back in time for no one to notice. I'd be happy if they didn't even explain it in the movie.

ElDuderino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:10 PM   #42
ArmsHeldOut
Peak Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
I proposed a way on the previous page that includes both a Kryptonian tech that could explain the suit apparition and still having the shirt rip. And in fact, it's not quite different than the Donner movies where he wouldn't remove his clothes but just opern his shirt to "start" the transformation.
Good stuff. Your idea is pretty much in the same vein of Lead Cenobyte's previous mention of Nanobyte technology, which I find pretty intriguing.

ArmsHeldOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:18 PM   #43
Bad Superman
World's Grimmest Hero

There's gotta be a shirt rip at some point.

"There’s no need to "modernize" Superman in order for the character to be appealing to the new generation. Superman is not a brooding angst ridden conflicted hero. He is a beacon of hope and his mission is to fight for Truth, Justice and the American way. Superman doesn’t need to wear an armor suit. He’s THE Man of Steel. There’s no need to “modernize” the suit for it to be more “dark” and “edgy”. If today’s generation can’t accept the character’s roots and essence, then they’re not true fans."
Bad Superman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:20 PM   #44
Sherlock Holmes
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Superman View Post
There's gotta be a shirt rip at some point.
Short and to the point.

Sherlock Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:27 PM   #45
Enriquespy
Side-Kick

Shirt rip, please. Even if he can hide his suit in a pellet under his tongue (like he did in his comics once), please bring in the shirt rip.

"Evening, Commmmmmmmmmmmmmmissionerrrrrrrr"

Enriquespy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:19 AM   #46
zman
Side-Kick

I had a great idea for a transformation: he changes in an alley and throws the clothes behind a dumbster. On his way back he goes behind the dumbster and comes out as Clark. Some lady sees him zipping up his pants while doing so and Clark says:...it was an emergency!

I'd get a laugh out of that.

zman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:42 AM   #47
hulk24
Side-Kick

I've always thought he would be wearing the suit but his clark atire would be an interactive hologram and when he needed to change his pants shoes and socks would turn into his lower hail his shirt and tie into the uper half and his jacket/trench coat into the cape

hulk24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:21 AM   #48
CaptainSpunk
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman View Post
I had a great idea for a transformation: he changes in an alley and throws the clothes behind a dumbster. On his way back he goes behind the dumbster and comes out as Clark. Some lady sees him zipping up his pants while doing so and Clark says:...it was an emergency!

I'd get a laugh out of that.
Or better yet have a homeless guy behind the dumpster with him. And then the lady can see them both come out at the same time and Clark zips up his pants...That would be soo.....
No that was completely lame in TF3.

CaptainSpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:58 AM   #49
elgaz
Side-Kick

If we're going with a new Superman approach - and something slightly more believable, like Nolan's Batman films - then nanotechnology is the only way to go. I just can't see today's audience accepting the old phonebooth costume change, not with the kinds of crowds we have on the street nowadays 24/7. It's fine doing a superspeed change, but someone will see him entering or leaving. And if he does that at superspeed, then what's the point of going into the phone booth?

I'd like a film where Kal El basically puts on a Kryptonian uniform of some kind as he starts out in his role as Superman. And the entire uniform is generated by nanotechnology. It can switch almost instantly from it's default look to his Clark Kent suit/shirt/tie - and again to the Superman costume.

No need to wear clothes over the suit, no need to carry it with him, and no far fetched explanation needed for where he hides the boots and cape. The suit is on him at all times - but he can change how it looks whenever he needs to.

A lot of the comics had the Fortress not as an ice palace like Donner's, but a futuristic building populated by robot servants who monitored Superman's vital signs, etc. I always thought a nano-suit was the perfect way to implement this, it can be used to monitor him while he wears it and even enhance his absorption of solar power. Perhaps it even has enhancements which make it easier for him to engage in deep space travel, etc.

Let's not forget, Superman comes from an advanced alien civilisation. Even referring to the Donner universe, they had enough power to accomplish deep space travel and use a single crystal to build a fortress structure. I don't think it's a huge stretch of the imagination to assume that nanotechnology would have been part of their science, given that we humans are already aware of nanotechnology and researching it - and we're way, way behind Kryptonian technology.

elgaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:09 AM   #50
\S/JcDc\S/
Panned User

I've got a wild Kryptonian tech explanation. How about for a slight change on the shirt rip scene? We see he is able to activate it by his mind/feel. As he rips the shirt open use see that the Superman costume including the crest is completing it's transition up towards his collar. The \S/ emblem even is shown expanding, as if it is a synthetic "skin" so to speak growing to its completed suit form. You don't need to do that for every shirt rip, but to show that one time would be pretty cool and I've always been up for a little more sci fi influence on Superman.