The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 08-08-2011, 04:20 AM   #51
Slowtime
Banned User

Default Re: Should the transformation process (from CK to Superman) remain traditional?

Quote:
Originally Posted by \S/JcDc\S/ View Post
I've got a wild Kryptonian tech explanation. How about for a slight change on the shirt rip scene? We see he is able to activate it by his mind/feel. As he rips the shirt open use see that the Superman costume including the crest is completing it's transition up towards his collar. The \S/ emblem even is shown expanding, as if it is a synthetic "skin" so to speak growing to its completed suit form. You don't need to do that for every shirt rip, but to show that one time would be pretty cool and I've always been up for a little more sci fi influence on Superman.
If there was a scene like that. You wouldnt even need a plot. You could just show that one part for an hour and the film would rock

Slowtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:46 AM   #52
jb007
Side-Kick

Default Re: Should the transformation process (from CK to Superman) remain traditional?

Can you have a Superman film without a ripped shirt exposing the shield S? I think not!

jb007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:40 AM   #53
elgaz
Side-Kick

Why not?

I'm all for little touches and references to previous movies, etc ............ but if that means there is a restriction on the implementation of the suit, then I wouldn't mind them losing it.

A traditional shirt rip means the suit HAS to be under the shirt.

I like Slowtime's suggestion, it gives us something similar but with a modern twist - and allows the filmmakers to go with whatever new suit change method they desire.

elgaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:40 AM   #54
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Why not just show different ways of him changing like they've done in the past?

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:53 AM   #55
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDuderino View Post
He has super speed. I have no idea why this is ever an issue with anyone. If he kept it hanging on clothes hangers in his apartment, he could get there, change, and back in time for no one to notice. I'd be happy if they didn't even explain it in the movie.
A man with super-speed doesn't need to wear the suit uinder his clothes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmsHeldOut View Post
Good stuff. Your idea is pretty much in the same vein of Lead Cenobyte's previous mention of Nanobyte technology, which I find pretty intriguing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Superman View Post
There's gotta be a shirt rip at some point.
Sure. The Kryptonian suit alloows that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman View Post
I had a great idea for a transformation: he changes in an alley and throws the clothes behind a dumbster. On his way back he goes behind the dumbster and comes out as Clark. Some lady sees him zipping up his pants while doing so and Clark says:...it was an emergency!

I'd get a laugh out of that.
Don't. Give. Them. Ideas.

Luckily enough, from all superhero movie directors, Snyder is not specially keen on bad jokes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSpunk View Post
Or better yet have a homeless guy behind the dumpster with him. And then the lady can see them both come out at the same time and Clark zips up his pants...That would be soo.....
No that was completely lame in TF3.
The homeless guy goes: Nice cape.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:34 AM   #56
Weadazoid
Side-Kick

Everything is under the civies...

The boots in this instance are more like extensions of the leggings with this costume creation anyway

We should see the cape unravel as he flies in a psudeo alien tech capacty.... something like what they did with Spawn, only far better in style and CGI

Old 08-08-2011, 12:09 PM   #57
JackIvyGB
Side-Kick

Shirt rip plz. By all means change it up sometimes. If he's wearing a sweater he'll have to pull it over his head, and I wouldn't mind something along the lines of a super speed change in a phone booth or something (they had a pretty sick slo mo super speed change in a phone booth in the last season of smallville. Granted, he changed into a jacket with the \S/ on it, but the concept and execution was great). But long story short, he wears the suit under his clothes. The whole suit, boots and everything. When it's superman time, the clothes come off. Get creative in how he changes, sure, but otherwise, don't over think it.

JackIvyGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:28 PM   #58
Greeneyes
The World Isn't Ready

It's going to be interesting to see how Snyder's 'realistic' take on this turns out,if he is gonna show proper real life/world physics etc,like when lifting a car,then maybe he will have to consider not having the boots and cape under his clothing as this will stand out as not realistic?

Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:49 PM   #59
Sherlock Holmes
Banned User

Just give us a real classic shirt rip. As long as he doesn't say this looks like a job for SUPERMAN.

Sherlock Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:33 PM   #60
Doc Samson
Superhero Psychiatrist

As long as he doesn't rip his shirt so slowly with a hundred people around, I'm all for it. For someone with super speed, he sure enjoys taking his time, on crowded streets no less

"As of right now, I don't know what he do good, cause what may work on another fighter is not gonna work on me."

- Floyd Mayweather

"
White people give him the same compliments: 'He speaks so well! 'He speaks so well' is not a compliment, okay? 'He speaks so well' is some **** you say about retarded people that can talk."
-
Chris Rock

Last edited by Doc Samson; 08-08-2011 at 04:52 PM.
Doc Samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:39 PM   #61
jocal62
Bass Guitar and Vocals

Compress it all in a ring with a B symbol, and have him carry a portable Batpole to slide on when he needs to change. That'll throw everyone off!

jocal62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:02 PM   #62
Superfreak
Gramaton Cleric

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmsHeldOut View Post
Here are my thoughts. In the original Donner and Lester films, Superman was portrayed as being nigh-omnipotent. He could reverse time, invoke memory loss in others, create holographic images of himself by sheer force of will, etc.

So when Clark Kent entered a telephone booth and revealed that he was somehow wearing the Superman costume underneath, it didn't bother me much. After all, this was a character who could basically do anything he wanted.

With Snyder's Man of Steel, though, I'm hoping for something a little different. In my opinion, Superman's powers should not extend beyond what has already been established in the comics over the years: Flight, super-strength, x-ray and heat vision, super-hearing, etc.

Having said that, does it make sense that Clark would wear the Superman suit under his regular attire? Where would he hide the cape and boots? I can see him wearing part of the costume, but it may be more practical for him to keep the boots and cape in a briefcase or something to that effect.
SODB: much like the specific way his powers work, this is something that doesn't need to be explored or explained in the movie. The shirt rip is classic superman, so he'll be wearing it under his regular clothes. It's just one of those things 'that is'. But I do want to see 1)the classic shirt rip, 2)telephone booth (and maybe even do an upgraded version of the Donner gag where Supes can't even find a phone booth), 3) the revolving door is a classic

4)I've always wanted to see clark kent get caught in an explosion, and Superman walk out.

as far as the 'journey to becoming superman', I'd like to see an approach like in the Byrne man of steel. An initial plain clothes adventure, where he is subsequently mobbed by witnesses. Adds a little depth to the character and sets a path for the use of the costume.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:29 PM   #63
Rainer7
Side-Kick

I really don't expect to see any phone booth transformations in this one. Isn't this supposed to be a modern reboot of The Man of Steel? I don't know any professional (especially one that's as connected to the world as a journalist/reporter) that uses a telephone booth these days(let alone one that has a revolving door).
Most of the payphones in Manhattan are glorified cell phone ads with no phone inside...

Rainer7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:50 PM   #64
BrollySupersj
Undying Reptile

How he hides the cape and booths isn't really important to me. I can suspend my disbelief enough that he can hide it all under his cloths. That's what I prefer anyway. Be it just a regular homemade suit, or a kryptonian one.

Last edited by BrollySupersj; 08-08-2011 at 07:53 PM.
BrollySupersj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:51 PM   #65
RetrogradeOrbit
My own Dark Passenger

Gotta have at least one shirt rip!

I got thrown out of a window! What's the f***ing charge for getting pushed out of a moving car, huh? Jaywalking?

My father gave me one piece of advice. He said "Always. .." No, he said "Never..." well actually he gave me two pieces of advice, I've forgotten the other one. But the important one is, "Never chase a man over a cliff".
RetrogradeOrbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:58 PM   #66
Doc Samson
Superhero Psychiatrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer7 View Post
I really don't expect to see any phone booth transformations in this one. Isn't this supposed to be a modern reboot of The Man of Steel? I don't know any professional (especially one that's as connected to the world as a journalist/reporter) that uses a telephone booth these days(let alone one that has a revolving door).
Most of the payphones in Manhattan are glorified cell phone ads with no phone inside...
lol, good point

"As of right now, I don't know what he do good, cause what may work on another fighter is not gonna work on me."

- Floyd Mayweather

"
White people give him the same compliments: 'He speaks so well! 'He speaks so well' is not a compliment, okay? 'He speaks so well' is some **** you say about retarded people that can talk."
-
Chris Rock
Doc Samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:46 AM   #67
Ruthmarks
Side-Kick

No shirt rip. No sale.

Period.

There are some things you don't mess with. At least, not if you want my fifteen dollars for a movie ticket. "Realism" be damned. I'm seeing a movie about a guy from Krypton who flies through the air, can shoot heat beams from his eyes, and can lift a jumbo jet. I can handle him wearing a costume under his clothes.

Shirt. Rip.

And give me two of them to make up for the first botched one in Superman Returns.

Ruthmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:52 PM   #68
SuperSteel
Newbie First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthmarks View Post
No shirt rip. No sale.

Period.

There are some things you don't mess with. At least, not if you want my fifteen dollars for a movie ticket. "Realism" be damned. I'm seeing a movie about a guy from Krypton who flies through the air, can shoot heat beams from his eyes, and can lift a jumbo jet. I can handle him wearing a costume under his clothes.

Shirt. Rip.

And give me two of them to make up for the first botched one in Superman Returns.

SuperSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:20 PM   #69
Comics N' Toons
Let the Adventure Begin!

Thumbs up Re: Should the transformation process (from CK to Superman) remain traditional?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
Cape is huge. Still want the classic.
Me also. I want the classic.

The reason why some fans come down on Batman 89 so hard since the Nolan films have been released is 2 fold: the Nolan films are newer and fans of the actual books don't read the 70's and 80's source material that the 89 film was based upon to understand how much more pure the 89 film is compared to the modern crime-drama trilogy that Nolan created.
Comics N' Toons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:33 PM   #70
Comics N' Toons
Let the Adventure Begin!

I've always wanted to see him go into a storeroom or a phone booth. (And don't say phone booths aren't modern... I was in one last week)

The reason why some fans come down on Batman 89 so hard since the Nolan films have been released is 2 fold: the Nolan films are newer and fans of the actual books don't read the 70's and 80's source material that the 89 film was based upon to understand how much more pure the 89 film is compared to the modern crime-drama trilogy that Nolan created.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:55 AM   #71
8wid
Banned User

I like the idea of the suit being biomechinal and forming over his body quickly when he needs it. Why would Superman keep ripping his shirts and having to replace them? The Eradicator had a good idea in its concept.

8wid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 05:55 AM   #72
KrypJonian
The Last Son of Krypjon

How about he just jumps out a window and, while falling, he just magically changes clothes, except for his slacks, they stay there for a sec...

Old 08-18-2011, 09:41 AM   #73
Comics N' Toons
Let the Adventure Begin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrypJonian View Post
How about he just jumps out a window and, while falling, he just magically changes clothes, except for his slacks, they stay there for a sec...
LOL... like in STM

Old 08-18-2011, 10:07 AM   #74
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8wid View Post
I like the idea of the suit being biomechinal and forming over his body quickly when he needs it. Why would Superman keep ripping his shirts and having to replace them? The Eradicator had a good idea in its concept.
That's what I've been saying all along. I think it mixes traditional and modern perfectly while getting rid of that absurd notion of suit under clothes.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:19 AM   #75
Rainer7
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8wid View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
That's what I've been saying all along. I think it mixes traditional and modern perfectly while getting rid of that absurd notion of suit under clothes.
Interesting idea... I'm totally on the side of, "go all-out on the modern take of extraterrestrial advanced technology". I mean, Superman is an alien, and that angle needs to be exploited, that'll make the character as real as Batman to the general public.

Rainer7 is offline   Reply With Quote