The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 08-18-2011, 11:42 AM   #76
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Default Re: Should the transformation process (from CK to Superman) remain traditional?

Putting a phone both in a modern city will seem very forced to me. I say drop it.

Explain the boots change. If you're doing a dead serious take on a character, with no camp, there's no reason or excuse to leave simple fridge logic hanging like that, especially when all you get out of not explaining it is an hokey spin transformation.

Nanotech is too sci-fi, and makes it also make no sense why it isn't applied it in other circumstances. One lining an explanation for a 'magic' transformation with ubertech never works out for good storytelling. Uberness/powers and especially equipment should be worked into the story organically, instead of used to excuse harkening back to iconic imagery which will be lost on most of the audience.

The easiest thing is that he simply has his cape and boots on hand/nearby. He can move faster than the eye can trace, there's little reason why he can't change out in the open, honestly. Wherever he puts his clothes when he changes, that's where he leaves his boots.

And honestly, this isn't a movie that's going to have him in the comic book status quo in the first act. We may not even see more than one change into the classic blue suit. Heck, the shirt rip may not come until the very end of the movie, and it won't really matter where his boots/cape come from.

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:48 AM   #77
_Kal-El_
Last Son of Krypton

Default Re: Should the transformation process (from CK to Superman) remain traditional?

Considering the advanced Kryptonian race, a nano-suit is still the most plausible way to go. The suit materializes beneath his shirt, he rips it open, we see the shield, he discards all of his civilian attire, and SWOOSH!, up, up and away!

I can't see how this won't work.
Phone booths are indeed a thing of the past, and there's no way Snyder would go with the cheap transitions that SII showed.

Snyder's Superman wouldn't be as dumb to forget his suit in his briefcase the first time round either. Singer deleted that scene, but we all know he shot it.

_Kal-El_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:59 AM   #78
sf2
Side-Kick

traditional sucks. and spidey has done it. if supes do the same, people will complain as copycat, non-creative.

superman should do the power ranger style of change. it will appeal more to general public and more realistic.

The superman returns comics strips were created during the production of the movie in 2005 we were longing a superman movie too long and we were basically going crazy of every bit of the leaked news and rumours. let's the fun returns!
sf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:01 AM   #79
sf2
Side-Kick

best still, superman should do these moves to change.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCtapKPMYM8

it bings bings

The superman returns comics strips were created during the production of the movie in 2005 we were longing a superman movie too long and we were basically going crazy of every bit of the leaked news and rumours. let's the fun returns!
Old 08-25-2011, 09:13 AM   #80
_Kal-El_
Last Son of Krypton

"Power Ranger style?"
So you're saying Superman should pull out a morpher, yell "Krypton!", and watch the entire screen be engulfed with lightning as his Superman suit gets slapped on in a cheap and childish way like only Bandai can?

Last edited by _Kal-El_; 08-26-2011 at 02:03 AM.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:18 AM   #81
hopefuldreamer
I'm a girl!

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Kal-El_ View Post
"Power Ranger style?"
So you're saying Superman should pull out a morpher, yell "Krypton!", and watch the entire screen be engulfed with lightning as his Superman gets slapped on in a cheap and childish way like only Bandai can?
OMG, I just started crying with laughter! Luckily no one in the office was close enough to see me

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
hopefuldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:20 AM   #82
sf2
Side-Kick

it looks cool, doesn't it.

as long as it looks cooler than the old and boring shirt rip off.

or the suit in the can. the general public are ready for something new & kreative, aint they.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:15 PM   #83
Superman_200
Superman

Quote:
Considering the advanced Kryptonian race, a nano-suit is still the most plausible way to go. The suit materializes beneath his shirt, he rips it open, we see the shield, he discards all of his civilian attire, and SWOOSH!, up, up and away!

I can't see how this won't work.
Phone booths are indeed a thing of the past, and there's no way Snyder would go with the cheap transitions that SII showed.

Snyder's Superman wouldn't be as dumb to forget his suit in his briefcase the first time round either. Singer deleted that scene, but we all know he shot it.

Knowing Snyder, I would imagine that is the perfect chance for him to use slow motion. The reverse of Dr. Manhattan dressing himself before he appeared on the TV show. He knows how to use slow motion very well to make scenes more dramatic. That is how I would expect Superman to change.

Superman_200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:10 AM   #84
Ruthmarks
Side-Kick

I forget who it was, but someone pointed out in another thread that if Snyder is going to give into his worst slow-motion tendencies -- and it's almost a given that he will -- the shirt rip change would be the best place for it. Something to the effect of Clark tearing open the shirt and tie, seeing every button popping off, and so forth...

Then again, it might also be something along the lines of what J.J. Abrams described in his original draft of "Superman" (from the "suit in a can" days) where Clark rips off his suit and tie and transforms into Superman in a single FX shot.

Whatever the case, I still feel like the classic shirt rip/camera pulling in upon the "S" is usually the simplest and best way to go.

Ruthmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:28 AM   #85
Liam_H
Side-Kick

LoL seeing every button on his shirt pop in slow motion, that would just be too much.

Spill

Liam_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:09 AM   #86
_Kal-El_
Last Son of Krypton

Snyder always knew his way around slow motion. You can argue the extensive use of it in Sucker Punch, but every... single shot in Watchmen was awesome. Period. He'll get it right. I'm sure of it. He even said this to...uh... Empire or TotalFilm, can't remember which one. They asked him if he would use slow motion again, and he clearly stated he was still thinking about the use of it, because Superman was an entirely different film than anything he ever tried before.
Despite its origins, it was more realistic than anything he ever did before (his words). I'm sure he'll think it through.

Old 08-26-2011, 01:53 PM   #87
Superman_200
Superman

I don't understand what it is about people complaining about Snyder's slow motion. Not anyone here in particular but I have heard complaints about it. I don't get it? How much better can slow motion be used than the way he does it? Like in the old Rocky movies? Is that what people would like to see today? Snyder makes everything look pretty amazing with his slow motion, from the silliest little things like a match getting lit to a cup being smashed against a wall, he makes it look cool. I just don't understand what the problem is.

Old 08-26-2011, 01:59 PM   #88
_Kal-El_
Last Son of Krypton

Quote:
Snyder always knew his way around slow motion.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:24 PM   #89
Ruthmarks
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman_200 View Post
I don't understand what it is about people complaining about Snyder's slow motion. Not anyone here in particular but I have heard complaints about it. I don't get it? How much better can slow motion be used than the way he does it? Like in the old Rocky movies? Is that what people would like to see today? Snyder makes everything look pretty amazing with his slow motion, from the silliest little things like a match getting lit to a cup being smashed against a wall, he makes it look cool. I just don't understand what the problem is.
Maybe not his use, but rather overuse of slow motion. I find that it's almost become a cliche at this point.

But the discussion is really more about the transformation process, which is why I mentioned it in regards to the shirt rip. Liam is probably right in that it might look ridiculous to have it shot that way, though.

Ruthmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 05:57 PM   #90
Superman_200
Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthmarks View Post
Maybe not his use, but rather overuse of slow motion. I find that it's almost become a cliche at this point.

But the discussion is really more about the transformation process, which is why I mentioned it in regards to the shirt rip. Liam is probably right in that it might look ridiculous to have it shot that way, though.
I don't ever know with Snyder what may look cool or not. I think one of the coolest scenes in Watchmen is Dr. Manhattan getting dressed before the TV show. If I had heard in the script though, he stands with his arms held out as the clothes fly around the room and dress him and then he teleports away and the room changes color. I would have thought it sounds like crap. I couldn't imagine it looking like Snyder imagined that should look like. The tone, the music, the images are so cool. I think even if he showed every button popping off he'd find a way to make it look pretty cool.

Old 08-26-2011, 06:03 PM   #91
Liam_H
Side-Kick

I think Snyder should use slow-mo when his super speed is in use. Say when Superman needs to swoop down to save someone, it can add great dramatic effect. Even when he's punching or throwing Zod around. We know how fast the guy can be but slowing it down so we can see it.

Spill

Liam_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 05:27 PM   #92
Superman_200
Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam_H View Post
I think Snyder should use slow-mo when his super speed is in use. Say when Superman needs to swoop down to save someone, it can add great dramatic effect. Even when he's punching or throwing Zod around. We know how fast the guy can be but slowing it down so we can see it.
Something like that would be nice. As opposed to speeding up Superman's movements to a blur which makes it look cheap, the slow motion would really make the images look much better. When it comes to visual style, I think Snyder is the best director that Superman could have had other than Spielberg or Tarantino.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:22 PM   #93
hame4479
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam_H View Post
Exactly superman is perfect for snyders use of slo mo becuz he moves so quickly that it takes a director that is versed in slo mo to showcase his powerset.

hame4479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:03 AM   #94
dabilee01
Side-Kick

the only suspension of disbelief i want to have is regarding the existence of super-powered alien beings. for everything else, i'd like to see realistic practicality, so, to me, the super suit worn in full would not work under normal clothes, so i don't want to see that. now, to list what i don't want to see would be pointless if i didn't mention what i would like to see, right?

well, for me, there are a few options, and some of those have been mentioned already:

1. partially worn suit with the unworn portions stored elsewhere
pros: more believable that the portions that could actually fit under clothes are worn
cons: kinda breaks the flow of action, because superman would rip open his civilian shirt to reveal the superman symbol only to be like 'oh wait, now i have to go find my boots and cape. dammit.'

2. alien tech suit that expands out from a smaller portion of the suit, covering his entire body at the end (a la matt lebanc's helmet in "lost in space" (see 0:47 at http://youtu.be/FjHCeCKfWyM?t=46s))
pros: allows me to believe that the suit is accessible in one single bound (eh eh?); since it falls under "alien" tech, which i have suspended my disbelief into believing exists, i won't question how it fits or works; it just does because it's alien; could be cool to see the first "transformation" like how we saw optimus prime in the first Transformers (you gotta admit that his big reveal was hella cool)
cons: could be seen as too armor-ish; as far as transitioning into the suit, would clark have to out of his civilian clothes and then press a button to activate the suit, or would the suit go over his civilian clothes? if it goes over, how does it looks so damn smooth and not wrinkled/bumpy?!

just brainstorming here. i apologize if any of the points above have been mentioned already since i didn't read pages 2-3.

happy sunday!

dabilee01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:22 AM   #95
tomk
Side-Kick

I agree that new powers shouldn't be introduced at random to help lazy script writers but please no more unnecessary complications.
I just don't get this obsession with trying to explain things or making it all more realistic.

tomk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:40 AM   #96
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2 View Post
traditional sucks. and spidey has done it. if supes do the same, people will complain as copycat, non-creative.
When it's completely the other way around. When that was used in Spiderman I couldn't hold my anger at so much unfunny uncreative crap.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:43 AM   #97
Sherlock Holmes
Banned User

I would love it if zod discovers ck is superman and using heat vision burns his clothes off him revealing the superman suit.

"so son of jor'el you reveal yourself."

Sherlock Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:45 AM   #98
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

That reminds me of the episode of Superman TAS when Superman posed as Batman, and then confronted Brainiac, who blasted the Batsuit right off of him.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:50 AM   #99
Sherlock Holmes
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Cenobite View Post
That reminds me of the episode of Superman TAS when Superman posed as Batman, and then confronted Brainiac, who blasted the Batsuit right off of him.
Don't think I saw that one. Which season. I only brought the first on dvd.

Sherlock Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 11:36 AM   #100
dabilee01
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes View Post
Don't think I saw that one. Which season. I only brought the first on dvd.
season 3, episode titled "Knight Time". The overall episode was kinda weak, but there were moments of greatness, especially when "batman" goes up against his rogues' gallery. let's just say supes kicks bane's @$$.

dabilee01 is offline   Reply With Quote