The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2011, 10:44 AM   #101
Superman_200
Superman
 
Superman_200's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 854
Default Re: If there was a character twist, where would you expect it to be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El.9859 View Post
When Meloni said it was a secret I immediately thought he's Lex in disguise
Exactly, I mean, who is this General?
Has he been featured in the comics?
Why would a name be a secret?
Without the character being a character like Lex Luthor or Doomsday, Braniac, etc. then what does the name General Potatochip mean to anyone? Nothing!
I think the secret has to be because he is Luthor.

Superman_200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:55 AM   #102
HighFivingMF
Welp.
 
HighFivingMF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 14,151
Default Re: If there was a character twist, where would you expect it to be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman_200 View Post
Exactly, I mean, who is this General?
Has he been featured in the comics?
Why would a name be a secret?
Without the character being a character like Lex Luthor or Doomsday, Braniac, etc. then what does the name General Potatochip mean to anyone? Nothing!
I think the secret has to be because he is Luthor.
He's a colonel.
No.
Joseph Gordon-Levitt is playing an original character in Dark Knight Rises, his role was kept a secret until the press release, like Meloni.
So I guess General Swanwick is secretly a villain too? Since he's an original character whose name they announced in the press release?

He could be Luthor, but none of that at all means Colonel Hardy is someone else.

__________________
I like Ben Affleck.
HighFivingMF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 12:51 PM   #103
Kal-El.9859
Life Found A Way
 
Kal-El.9859's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Smallville/Metropolis
Posts: 10,562
Default Re: If there was a character twist, where would you expect it to be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFivingMF View Post
He's a colonel.
No.
Joseph Gordon-Levitt is playing an original character in Dark Knight Rises, his role was kept a secret until the press release, like Meloni.
So I guess General Swanwick is secretly a villain too? Since he's an original character whose name they announced in the press release?

He could be Luthor, but none of that at all means Colonel Hardy is someone else.
false...John Blake has been in the comics before

__________________
My father believed, if the world found out who I really was, they'd reject me...out of fear. He was convinced that the world wasn't ready. What do you think?
-Superman

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Kal-El.9859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 01:05 PM   #104
HighFivingMF
Welp.
 
HighFivingMF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 14,151
Default Re: If there was a character twist, where would you expect it to be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El.9859 View Post
false...John Blake has been in the comics before
No, he hasn't. He's an original character that happens to have a name similar to a 10 year-old boy that had his report card stolen by Joker in one comic. You must be hopped up on goofballs if you think Nolan mentioned "You know that kid who was afraid he would get in trouble after Joker took his report card? Let's make him a 20-something beat cop working with Gordon!"

__________________
I like Ben Affleck.
HighFivingMF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 01:14 PM   #105
Kal-El.9859
Life Found A Way
 
Kal-El.9859's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Smallville/Metropolis
Posts: 10,562
Default Re: If there was a character twist, where would you expect it to be?

Johnny Blake...John Blake...same thing. And you can't put anything past Nolan. They have said numerous times they are pulling out all the stops for the last movie. I think it would b kinda cool if it was the same character

__________________
My father believed, if the world found out who I really was, they'd reject me...out of fear. He was convinced that the world wasn't ready. What do you think?
-Superman

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Kal-El.9859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 01:58 PM   #106
wspsupes
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ark>GA>Jackson, WY
Posts: 126
Default Re: If there was a character twist, where would you expect it to be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman_200 View Post
Exactly, I mean, who is this General?
Has he been featured in the comics?
Why would a name be a secret?
Without the character being a character like Lex Luthor or Doomsday, Braniac, etc. then what does the name General Potatochip mean to anyone? Nothing!
I think the secret has to be because he is Luthor.
Ehhh.....maybe. They may be hiding the fact that they have really cast Lex, but if they go forward with him being a Colonel I can't wrap my head around any reason why it would be Luthor posing as said Colonel. Kind of unnecessary--IMO. More plausible: setting it up for the Colonel to become Metallo. That being said--I would find it hard to believe that Lex will not be in this movie in some shape or form. He's just too big to the Superman mythos. I think he will at least be in the background or emerge at the end. Kind of dumb to think otherwise---also just my opinion.

wspsupes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:06 PM   #107
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!
 
hopefuldreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: South West, UK
Posts: 11,352
Default Re: If there was a character twist, where would you expect it to be?

I really don't want Colonel Hardy to turn out to be Luthor.

1. If he's pretending to be a Colonel, it'll suck. Because how could you realistically get away with that?

2. If they are changing his backstory so that he's actually a Colonel, a military man, who goes on to become a businessman who hates Superman because he never stops seeing him as a threat... it'll suck... because IMO that's just not what Lex is about.

__________________
I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."


*\S/T*
hopefuldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:10 PM   #108
wspsupes
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ark>GA>Jackson, WY
Posts: 126
Default Re: If there was a character twist, where would you expect it to be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulsuicide View Post
I really don't want Colonel Hardy to turn out to be Luthor.

1. If he's pretending to be a Colonel, it'll suck. Because how could you realistically get away with that?

2. If they are changing his backstory so that he's actually a Colonel, a military man, who goes on to become a businessman who hates Superman because he never stops seeing him as a threat... it'll suck... because IMO that's just not what Lex is about.
Agreed. You know who Lex is up front (and so do the characters). He doesn't hide--just doesn't seem like a trait that he would have. Wouldn't be Lex Luthor otherwise.

wspsupes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 03:06 PM   #109
Rodrigo90
Hip To Be Square
 
Rodrigo90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Newcastle, UK
Posts: 22,383
Default Re: If there was a character twist, where would you expect it to be?

IMHO. Hardy is just an original character. Simply to add realism. He won't be Lex in diguise or anything...but he could have connections to Lex in some way. Hardy could plot with him for the sequel or something. Maybe Lex will ask for his help in destroying Superman?

__________________
“The world is a dangerous place not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing”
Albert Einstein
Rodrigo90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 03:27 PM   #110
wspsupes
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ark>GA>Jackson, WY
Posts: 126
Default Re: If there was a character twist, where would you expect it to be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo90 View Post
IMHO. Hardy is just an original character. Simply to add realism. He won't be Lex in diguise or anything...but he could have connections to Lex in some way. Hardy could plot with him for the sequel or something. Maybe Lex will ask for his help in destroying Superman?
Most likely scenario.

wspsupes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 03:51 PM   #111
BlueLantern
Hope Burns Bright
 
BlueLantern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,168
Default Re: If there was a character twist, where would you expect it to be?

Let's jot everything down to realism. The reason this film doesn't take place on a planet where everyone's mandatory diet is cotton candy and cherry coke is because of realism. Same reason why Lois Lane isn't portrayed as Klingon. It's not realistic enough.

__________________
In fearful day in raging night, no evil shall escape my sight. When all seems lost and hope ignites, beware my power, Blue Lantern's light.
BlueLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 04:09 PM   #112
Rodrigo90
Hip To Be Square
 
Rodrigo90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Newcastle, UK
Posts: 22,383
Default Re: If there was a character twist, where would you expect it to be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLantern View Post
Let's jot everything down to realism. The reason this film doesn't take place on a planet where everyone's mandatory diet is cotton candy and cherry coke is because of realism. Same reason why Lois Lane isn't portrayed as Klingon. It's not realistic enough.
What I meant was. That Hardy's just going to be an original character, that hasn't appeared in the comics, to add in a realistic vibe in its own way. Like for example, Mr. Earle from BB. Mr. Reece from TDK, heck even Mr. Aziz from SM2

__________________
“The world is a dangerous place not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing”
Albert Einstein
Rodrigo90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 04:25 PM   #113
BlueLantern
Hope Burns Bright
 
BlueLantern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,168
Default Re: If there was a character twist, where would you expect it to be?

Again nothing to do with realism. Just a case of adding characters in. If he was Kryptonian it would just be an extra character. Not an extra character to make the film more fantastical.

__________________
In fearful day in raging night, no evil shall escape my sight. When all seems lost and hope ignites, beware my power, Blue Lantern's light.
BlueLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 04:29 PM   #114
Superman_200
Superman
 
Superman_200's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 854
Default Re: If there was a character twist, where would you expect it to be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wspsupes View Post
Ehhh.....maybe. They may be hiding the fact that they have really cast Lex, but if they go forward with him being a Colonel I can't wrap my head around any reason why it would be Luthor posing as said Colonel. Kind of unnecessary--IMO. More plausible: setting it up for the Colonel to become Metallo. That being said--I would find it hard to believe that Lex will not be in this movie in some shape or form. He's just too big to the Superman mythos. I think he will at least be in the background or emerge at the end. Kind of dumb to think otherwise---also just my opinion.
Could be, but it would be pretty hard to hide the fact that they already cast Luthor, unless they cast him later on since they appear to be filming the action sequences first. But if they already cast him, I think they are hiding him in plain sight because Meloni looks too much like what I think everyone expects Luthor to look like.

Superman_200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 04:34 PM   #115
wspsupes
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ark>GA>Jackson, WY
Posts: 126
Default Re: If there was a character twist, where would you expect it to be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman_200 View Post
Could be, but it would be pretty hard to hide the fact that they already cast Luthor, unless they cast him later on since they appear to be filming the action sequences first. But if they already cast him, I think they are hiding him in plain sight because Meloni looks too much like what I think everyone expects Luthor to look like.
"Joker card" scenario maybe?

wspsupes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 04:50 PM   #116
wspsupes
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ark>GA>Jackson, WY
Posts: 126
Default Re: If there was a character twist, where would you expect it to be?

Also, at some point wasn't Sean Penn offered the role or was it an unspecified role?

wspsupes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:27 PM   #117
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!
 
hopefuldreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: South West, UK
Posts: 11,352
Default Re: If there was a character twist, where would you expect it to be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLantern View Post
Again nothing to do with realism. Just a case of adding characters in. If he was Kryptonian it would just be an extra character. Not an extra character to make the film more fantastical.
The plot involving military personal, is down to Goyer's idea for the story incorporating a more realistic response to Superman's arrival.

Therefore, Colonel Hardy is a new character, created to facilitate realism within the story.

I don't know why you object to the word being used. It's not a word we have decided to attach to this project here on the forum. The people creating it have spoken of their intentions to make a Superman film grounded in realism.

__________________
I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."


*\S/T*
hopefuldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 07:03 PM   #118
BlueLantern
Hope Burns Bright
 
BlueLantern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,168
Default Re: If there was a character twist, where would you expect it to be?

It's objectionable because anything added that doesn't exist in the comics and is something you find in everyday life seems to be due to realism.

And because realism seems to be the word of the year when discussing these films.

__________________
In fearful day in raging night, no evil shall escape my sight. When all seems lost and hope ignites, beware my power, Blue Lantern's light.
BlueLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 07:05 PM   #119
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick
 
Tacit Ronin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 10,737
Default Re: If there was a character twist, where would you expect it to be?

I would love to see the military unloading their arsenals at Supes. It would the equivalent of the cops going after Bats in Begins, except with the military, which has the potential to be far more cinematic.

__________________
Robert Downey Jr: Max Ray
Daniel Craig: Jake Rockwell
Chris Evans: Ace Mccloud
The Centurions Live Action Film!
Tacit Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 07:36 PM   #120
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!
 
hopefuldreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: South West, UK
Posts: 11,352
Default Re: If there was a character twist, where would you expect it to be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLantern View Post
It's objectionable because anything added that doesn't exist in the comics and is something you find in everyday life seems to be due to realism.

And because realism seems to be the word of the year when discussing these films.
I do agree that people are obsessed with talking about it. But it's not just the fans. The creators are constantly banging on about it, which is why it gets discussed so much.

__________________
I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."


*\S/T*
hopefuldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:13 AM   #121
elgaz
Side-Kick
 
elgaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Ireland
Posts: 2,847
Default Re: If there was a character twist, where would you expect it to be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabadoo View Post
Which version of 2 did you watch? Was it the theatrical version, or the Richard Donner cut? Just curious...
The original theatrical release. I've got the Donner one too, and much prefer it - but I was trying to watch all 4 films in their original compositions so as to get a feel for what the viewers at the time would have seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrypJonian View Post
I really feel like everyone needs to take a step back and re-evaluate what is most important in their lives...

Yeah, the special effects in IV were mostly atrocious.... But can you all really take it to the point of III being a good movie because of it...

Is there anyone here born around 82 that didn't just go ahead and believe the breathing in space for the first 1 MINUTE of SIV or so?
I don't really understand your point here. We're just talking casually about the film, I'm not losing any sleep over the fact that someone breathed in space and I certainly don't need to re-evaluate my priorities.

After all, we are watching a film about a flying man who can shoot heat from his eyes - so there has to be a certain suspension of disbelief. However, within the framework of the universe that this film inhabits, I would have liked them to keep even just a tiny semblance of reality & continuity. Short of a cartoon, spoof comedy, or some far-future Sci-Fi epic where humans have evolved beyond what we are ................. there's really no motion picture which should have a human breathing in space and expect the audience to buy it.

elgaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:13 AM   #122
elgaz
Side-Kick
 
elgaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Ireland
Posts: 2,847
Default Re: If there was a character twist, where would you expect it to be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid View Post
I would love to see the military unloading their arsenals at Supes. It would the equivalent of the cops going after Bats in Begins, except with the military, which has the potential to be far more cinematic.
Yup, me too.

Bullets, rockets, missiles, grenades, etc. And none of it having any effect on Supes.

elgaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:31 AM   #123
04nbod
I need to debrief you
 
04nbod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: birkenhead, uk ahh...the chavs are attacking
Posts: 10,450
Default Re: If there was a character twist, where would you expect it to be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulsuicide View Post
I really don't want Colonel Hardy to turn out to be Luthor.

1. If he's pretending to be a Colonel, it'll suck. Because how could you realistically get away with that?

2. If they are changing his backstory so that he's actually a Colonel, a military man, who goes on to become a businessman who hates Superman because he never stops seeing him as a threat... it'll suck... because IMO that's just not what Lex is about.
I have communed with the spirit of Mort Weisinger and he tells me Hardy cannot be Luthor because Luthor would parade in plain sight with an incredibly obvious anagram of a name like General Thorul. Take it from the master, Hardy is Hardy. When he isn't Dan Turpin on a Friday night, but we all do wacky things after work's over.

__________________
WHAT WOULD DARTH VADER DO?
04nbod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:50 AM   #124
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!
 
hopefuldreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: South West, UK
Posts: 11,352
Default Re: If there was a character twist, where would you expect it to be?

Don't worry, I don't think it will happen. This sort of thing is only ever in giddy fan boys heads (no offense to anyone )

I have officially changed my stance anyway. I don't want Lex cast in the movie anymore. I want Luthorcorp featured in the skyline, I want hints galore (like company logos on weapons), I want Lois and Perry talking about him for a story... And I want it to end with a shadowy glimpse of him slamming his fist down on a pic of Superman in a DP article that tells the story of how a plan (that Lex was secretly behind) was foiled.

I just think it's a great way to set him up for a sequel, as the major player in the villainy. Giving him a vendetta that stems from events in the first film, but not overcrowding the origin story unneccesarily with his inclusion.

hopefuldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:07 AM   #125
Sherlock Holmes
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 659
Default Re: If there was a character twist, where would you expect it to be?

I believe they will set up lex for a possible sequel. I imagine his company lexcorp will be mentioned.

Sherlock Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:03 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.