The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: Should Cavill's Superman costume include the Red Trunks?
The Trunks stay! 101 48.10%
The Trunks gotta go! 48 22.86%
I don't care if the Trunks stay or go! 61 29.05%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 04:19 PM   #76
GreenKToo
In the fire

Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - - - - Part 13

Trunks or not, it looks good.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:31 PM   #77
jocal62
Bass Guitar and Vocals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
That's funny... now that you mention it, the texture does kinds of remind me of that of colored golfballs at miniature golf courses. Doesn't bother me though... I think a pronounced texture like this makes the suit pop more. When you look at the SR suit by comparison, that suit was a bit more flat in (it was also textured, just not as bold) and that made it just look kinda dull.
I already made a similar comment about the 'golf ball' texture at Caped Wonder.com's Facebook page. My real question would be, if there really is a Superman, of what use is the 'golf ball' effect on his flight, since he already has all that power to thrust him into the air? Will air friction actually stop or slow down the real Superman? Highly unlikely.

Plus, we who grew up in the Superman mythos know that in the Superman 'world', his costume is only to keep him clothed or to identify him apart from other super powered beings, not to help him during flight. In the same manner, I don't see the point of putting texture on Superman's costume, but that's just me...

Old 08-08-2011, 04:58 PM   #78
mystory64
Slacker Artist Esquire

*edit* Meh I've decided to stay out of it lol back to lurk mode

Last edited by mystory64; 08-08-2011 at 05:15 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:25 PM   #79
GreenKToo
In the fire

Personally, I think its just for looks. Why would supes need an aerodynamic suit anyway. I mean he has super-strength and the power to defy gravity, so drag should be no problem for him.

Old 08-08-2011, 05:39 PM   #80
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocal62 View Post
I already made a similar comment about the 'golf ball' texture at Caped Wonder.com's Facebook page. My real question would be, if there really is a Superman, of what use is the 'golf ball' effect on his flight, since he already has all that power to thrust him into the air? Will air friction actually stop or slow down the real Superman? Highly unlikely.

Plus, we who grew up in the Superman mythos know that in the Superman 'world', his costume is only to keep him clothed or to identify him apart from other super powered beings, not to help him during flight. In the same manner, I don't see the point of putting texture on Superman's costume, but that's just me...
What's the point of the costume to begin with?

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
Old 08-08-2011, 06:24 PM   #81
tantuspatronus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalMart View Post
What's the point of the costume to begin with?
Am I the only one feeling like superheroes these days are becoming less and less like "heroes." Superman is the last of a dying breed, I hope they don't make him too dark and modern like so many other superheroes.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:41 PM   #82
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantuspatronus View Post
Am I the only one feeling like superheroes these days are becoming less and less like "heroes." Superman is the last of a dying breed, I hope they don't make him too dark and modern like so many other superheroes.
Well, he's pretty much already the oldest of the old to a lot of people, so there's always a question as to whether the concept has outgrown its originator over the course of changing times and sensibilities. But I don't think you have to change him to be 'darker/grittier', or what have you. Change the circumstances and the stakes in the story to be darker, more modern and more severe, and in that regard, Superman's more 'old-school' heroic and peaceful sensibilities can shine through even more refreshingly. They have to take advantage of the scope of danger and spectacle that they can put on the big screens these days...lord knows Transformers has.

I don't see it as a dying breed....more like a very aging and slowing breed that's just going to stay there forever.

The fact that he's Superman, and he can fly, and he's super-strong isn't enough because we see a lot of that everywhere. The fact that he represents the truest and most moral of values isn't enough either. But it's not so much that we need a 'modernized' Superman...we need some more modern and sophisticated storytelling to put him into, perhaps something that breaks out of that time-worn formulaic hero-story narrative that every movie and its brother uses. Is that overcompensating? Maybe, maybe not. But any old patterns and formulas would feel even moreso with Superman, but if he wants to be a top-tier popular hero in movies again, instead of plain-ol' Superman yet again, he'll need some help from the filmmakers in terms of what sort of new/modern/engaging package of a story they put him in, even if he's still the same Superman at heart.

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
Old 08-08-2011, 07:03 PM   #83
tantuspatronus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Well, he's pretty much already the oldest of the old to a lot of people, so there's always a question as to whether the concept has outgrown its originator over the course of changing times and sensibilities. But I don't think you have to change him to be 'darker/grittier', or what have you. Change the circumstances and the stakes in the story to be darker, more modern and more severe, and in that regard, Superman's more 'old-school' heroic and peaceful sensibilities can shine through even more refreshingly. They have to take advantage of the scope of danger and spectacle that they can put on the big screens these days...lord knows Transformers has.

I don't see it as a dying breed....more like a very aging and slowing breed that's just going to stay there forever.

The fact that he's Superman, and he can fly, and he's super-strong isn't enough because we see a lot of that everywhere. The fact that he represents the truest and most moral of values isn't enough either. But it's not so much that we need a 'modernized' Superman...we need some more modern and sophisticated storytelling to put him into, perhaps something that breaks out of that time-worn formulaic hero-story narrative that every movie and its brother uses. Is that overcompensating? Maybe, maybe not. But any old patterns and formulas would feel even moreso with Superman, but if he wants to be a top-tier popular hero in movies again, instead of plain-ol' Superman yet again, he'll need some help from the filmmakers in terms of what sort of new/modern/engaging package of a story they put him in, even if he's still the same Superman at heart.
I agree with you for the most part, the story telling in Superman movies has always seemed to be on the low end. That was fine back in the 70's and 80's, when Superhero movies were a rare thing. But with 3 or 4 a year now, the movie has to stand on it's own, not on the simple fact it's a comic book hero come to life.

I agree with what you say, about making the situations and stories more modern around an "aged" character. Maybe they should focus on showing him as man out of his time. A man who was raised on morals that the rest of the world has forgotten. To me, it makes him stand out more, and further develope his character when he stands apart from everyone else.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:28 PM   #84
Doc Samson
Superhero Psychiatrist

Quote:

I agree, sort of. I don't think there's any place anywhere for a "dark, gritty" Superman, that's just not what the character is about.

On the otherhand though, I do think that this type of persona in superheroes isn't what audiences gravitate to nowadays. I do think there needs to be some sort of modernization for this movie to really work, and I mean of him even more than plot or storytelling. I think SR tried to tell a modern story, perhaps with a little more action it may have worked (and another Lois Lane, and no baby, and another villain....)

I was actually surprised Captain America even had the success it did because of these similar qualities, but then again, that was also his first movie as opposed to a 6th. I want this to work, hopefully Goyer really found something different to wrap the familiar package in.

"I don't give a **** what you say. If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, 'Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations,' Well, **** you. Because I don't play for your ******* approval. I play for my own love and enjoyment of the game. And to win. That's what I play for."
- Kobe Bryant

"As of right now, I don't know what he do good, cause what may work on another fighter is not gonna work on me."

- Floyd Mayweather
Old 08-08-2011, 07:39 PM   #85
Supermanila
Side-Kick

anybody seen this, about.com is claiming that it's an official teaser poster

EDIT: Nevermind, looks like it's fan made

Old 08-08-2011, 07:53 PM   #86
gimmen64
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermanila View Post

Looks sweet. Im stoked about this movie.

http://www.myspace.com/someguyinelpaso
Old 08-08-2011, 07:57 PM   #87
socool
True

Quote:

No way it's real. The boots are a different material than the official picture shows.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:59 PM   #88
The Red Hood
Banned User

Quote:

If only the shield looked like that...

Old 08-08-2011, 08:06 PM   #89
--Zero-Ethic--
Side-Kick

Quote:

It's a manip one of the guys did in the Manip thread ages ago.
Zorex i think is his name.

..Checkmate!"
Old 08-08-2011, 08:15 PM   #90
Indy1Jones
The Batfleck

I like the suit.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:18 PM   #91
Asgard
Kanga Fu

Itd be pretty weird for the shield on the cape not match the one on the chest.

I like the official shield better.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:29 PM   #92
Rowsdower!
Mightiest Mortal?

I like (what we come to accept as) the traditional shield better, but I don't have any issues with the new one. It is, after all, still faithful to the comic book design... just an older shield design that the one that's been used it recent years. I'm not sure why they decided to do with that one, but I prefer it to some designs and design concepts we've seen over the years. For example, Kingdom Come is probably my favorite comic book miniseries of all time and I love Alex Ross... but I HATED the S redesign in that book. It looked like some sort of weird backwards 7 or something. I also didn't care for the S design in that Superman Flyby concept.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:44 PM   #93
BrlntDsgse
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by guAsp View Post
Thank you, finally someone tried it. I too have found this, as well as someone around these forums that made me look into it.
I actually tried it the day the pic came out, got the same completely red "hits" in the trunks area (so dark that it looks black to the naked eye, but a really dark, dark red) but when I posted my results some people were writing it off by saying "try the color picker on the main blue areas of the suit, you'll find a few random red pixels there too" even though it's not just a few scattered red pixels here and there....it's the ENTIRE trunks area. That, along with the fact that the rest of the suit is so classic, makes me believe that there will be trunks when we get a clearer look at the suit.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:51 PM   #94
tantuspatronus
Side-Kick

I would like something like that for the official teaser. It would be a good way of letting us know the shield is really on the back of the cape, how I hope it is.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:52 PM   #95
Naite22
Side-Kick

Quote:

Fake or real, doesn't change the fact that this is a really bad poster!

Even with a small thing like the teaser poster, they NEED to make it matter. It needs to showcase that this is new times. New superman like never seen before! The above doesn't say ****. People would look at that and say, hmm, the sequel to 2006's Returns. Whatever... This just wont do.

And be original about it damn it! Have Superman in the fortress, seen kneeling from the back at the end of a long icey staircase right in front of a giant ice tower, where the crystal image of Russel "Jor-El" Crow is seen. Maybe bring a tag-line along the lines of "Witness the Rebirth". YES people, that alone would be better then the above... this has fake written all over it.

Last edited by Naite22; 08-08-2011 at 08:55 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:52 PM   #96
Godzilla2014
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
I like (what we come to accept as) the traditional shield better, but I don't have any issues with the new one. It is, after all, still faithful to the comic book design... just an older shield design that the one that's been used it recent years. I'm not sure why they decided to do with that one, but I prefer it to some designs and design concepts we've seen over the years. For example, Kingdom Come is probably my favorite comic book miniseries of all time and I love Alex Ross... but I HATED the S redesign in that book. It looked like some sort of weird backwards 7 or something. I also didn't care for the S design in that Superman Flyby concept.
To me, the Kingdom Come suggests fascist imagery to me. Judging by the themes of Kingdom Come, that may not be entirely coincidental.

This post was brought to you by Godzilla.

http://i.imgur.com/6FNiJ.jpg

The more you know.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:04 PM   #97
Kurosawa
Banned User

The pattern of the costume doesn't really bother me, because in the traditional explanation where the suit is made from the baby blankets, they are described as a "weird alien material" so the idea that Kryptonian cloth would be different from Earth cloth is okay with me, even if that isn't the origin of the suit in the movie.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:32 PM   #98
Gamma Goliath
Engine of Destruction

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenKToo View Post
Trunks or not, it looks good.
Agreed.

Greatness lies, not in being strong, but in the right using of strength; and strength is not used rightly when it serves only to carry a man above his fellows for his own solitary glory. He is the greatest whose strength carries up the most hearts by the attraction of his own.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:34 PM   #99
Rowsdower!
Mightiest Mortal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla2014 View Post
To me, the Kingdom Come suggests fascist imagery to me. Judging by the themes of Kingdom Come, that may not be entirely coincidental.
Possibly, considering that Supes goes a bit authoritarian there.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:50 PM   #100
Stephen K. Hone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrlntDsgse View Post
I actually tried it the day the pic came out, got the same completely red "hits" in the trunks area (so dark that it looks black to the naked eye, but a really dark, dark red) but when I posted my results some people were writing it off by saying "try the color picker on the main blue areas of the suit, you'll find a few random red pixels there too" even though it's not just a few scattered red pixels here and there....it's the ENTIRE trunks area. That, along with the fact that the rest of the suit is so classic, makes me believe that there will be trunks when we get a clearer look at the suit.

That's what I believe also. If he didn't have trunks it would be better imo to reveal the whole costume, so that people have more time to become accustomed to that look. If he does in fact have trunks (what with everything else being updated classic, it just makes sense) the negative reaction towards them will be minimal at best. Snyder is just having a little fun with the fans.

Closed Thread