The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: Henry Cavill As Superman
Love It 145 64.73%
Hate It 3 1.34%
I'll Deal With It 20 8.93%
Remains To Be Seen 56 25.00%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2011, 08:32 PM   #976
I Am The Knight
You came back to dance?
 
I Am The Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Dance Dance (Bane's) Revolution
Posts: 12,449
Default Re: Henry Cavill IS Superman: - Part 6

So what's the budget for it anyway?

__________________
Before SHH, your miserable, insignificant little life was laughable. Now that you've found SHH, have you noticed you've become more popular? Suddenly EVERYONE wants to hang out with you.

SHH. You owe us your livelihood. / Avvy by Kane52630!
I Am The Knight is offline  
Old 10-19-2011, 09:00 PM   #977
Astrodust
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,613
Default Re: Henry Cavill IS Superman: - Part 6

From what I can remember the budget was less than Clash. It was all filmed inside a studio.

Astrodust is offline  
Old 10-19-2011, 10:21 PM   #978
flickchick85
Loose Seal
 
flickchick85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 11,841
Default Re: Henry Cavill IS Superman: - Part 6

I agree with the expectation that Immortals will probably bomb, but I'd love to see it surprise at the box office because the buzz I've read from screenings seem to indicate a good movie.

__________________
4.19.14
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

01000110011011110111001000100000011001010111011001 10010101110010011110010010000001100001011101000110 11110110110100100000011000100110010101101100011011 11011011100110011101101001011011100110011100100000 01110100011011110010000001101101011001010010000001 10000101110011001000000110011101101111011011110110 01000010000001100010011001010110110001101111011011 10011001110111001100100000011101000110111100100000 01111001011011110111010100101110
flickchick85 is offline  
Old 10-19-2011, 10:30 PM   #979
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!
 
Sawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 68,872
Default Re: Henry Cavill IS Superman: - Part 6

Immortals just looks like 300's more artsy, but less homoerotic brother. But it's got some good people in it, so I hope it goes well for them.

__________________
Oh, what's that, America? You love Chris Pratt? Well, I guess we'll have to wait and see the overnight ratings for this upcoming season of Parks and Recreation for me to determine how full of **** you are about that.

Sawyer is offline  
Old 10-20-2011, 12:27 AM   #980
DKDetective
"He'll be a god to them."
 
DKDetective's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,132
Default Re: Henry Cavill IS Superman: - Part 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMike335!! View Post
Well, Cavill is in much better shape now, much larger muscles and more cut than TW has ever been close to.

As for the "too short" issues, putting a lift in his boots or shoes is a common hollywood trick, as well as just adjusting camera distance and making sure Cavill "looks" taller than other male actors.

This is common in most hollywood movies to adjust for the height of the actor, and for MOS will likely be used where he is in scenes with Kevin Costner, also 6'1" and Lawrence Fishburn 6'0.5" who are about the same height as Cavill. I would just have Cavil one space closer to the camera when in scenes with them and/or have him in shoes with a little "lift".

Its not like we will be pulling out a measuring tape to get him exactly 6'3" or 6'4". They should just use the normal hollywood tricks to make him look a few inches taller than the "human" co-stars and there should be no worries about him looking too short.
I think you misunderstand me, I think Cavill's awesome as is. I don't need a 6'4" Superman. I was complimenting him and suggesting that his doubters - who said all those things about being Welling unbeatable, Cavill being bound to look short and blocky if he put on muscle - turned out very wrong. They all seemed to have been silenced.. or they just left the Hype.


Last edited by DKDetective; 10-20-2011 at 12:39 AM.
DKDetective is online now  
Old 10-20-2011, 12:56 AM   #981
DKDetective
"He'll be a god to them."
 
DKDetective's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,132
Default Re: Henry Cavill IS Superman: - Part 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
That's nice that you think that. I agree that it's not going to do amazing number(I mean it's an action film in november with an unknown). It's designed to do modest numbers.

But just because it's not your cup o tea, doesn't mean there isn't a hungry(and deprived) audience for it. That's like me saying I don't like the look of Pixars up, it's not going to do well. This is literally what happened around these parts with just about all the transformers films.
First off, as someone who thought Batman Begins felt emotionally flat, I don't know if you are the best judge of films' appeal.

I wasn't offering my personal opinion of the film as proof it's going to bomb. I just meant I was another person who isn't at all interested in it. I probably should have added that I don't know a single person at all interested in the movie. I haven't heard any buzz and, what I have heard, in particular from people who love 300 and movies of this type, is negative. Is that better evidence for you?

Also, there is a big difference between the Immortals and Transformers. Transformers is a big brand name that brings in all of the kids. The Immortals is R rated and has no brand appeal.

DKDetective is online now  
Old 10-20-2011, 01:37 AM   #982
Marvin
Side-Kick
 
Marvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 16,395
Default Re: Henry Cavill IS Superman: - Part 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDetective View Post
I think you misunderstand me, I think Cavill's awesome as is. I don't need a 6'4" Superman. I was complimenting him and suggesting that his doubters - who said all those things about being Welling unbeatable, Cavill being bound to look short and blocky if he put on muscle - turned out very wrong. They all seemed to have been silenced.. or they just left the Hype.
I agree. Also I've personally grown to love the height Cavill presents for the character. He's a tall guy but no to the point where it undermines his secret identity. I mean I have about 2 good friends that crack the 6'4 barrier. And as much as I believe in the rhetoric behind the glasses disguise, the super tall stature does it absolutely no favors. It just draws way too much attention to be believable. It would be as if Thor tried to pull of the Clark look for a day.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:


Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:


Like I said he's got the perfect combination of stature and presence, if not just an inch away. But then again look at what was done to Jimmy Marsden in the wake of Hugh Jackman with some simple staging tricks.
6'2 vs 5'10

__________________
1992's Universal soldier is my favorite Wolverine vs Sabretooth movie.
Marvin is offline  
Old 10-20-2011, 02:06 AM   #983
Marvin
Side-Kick
 
Marvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 16,395
Default Re: Henry Cavill IS Superman: - Part 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDetective View Post
First off, as someone who thought Batman Begins felt emotionally flat, I don't know if you are the best judge of films' appeal.
Yea, looking back at it now, it was a real tear jerker And perhaps the most engaging romance the genre has ever seen.
Give me a break, the film is just one miss after another when it comes to emotional/dramatic impact and it's mostly the directions fault.

Quote:
I wasn't offering my personal opinion of the film as proof it's going to bomb. I just meant I was another person who isn't at all interested in it.
If only everyone was so forth coming on message boards.

Quote:
I probably should have added that I don't know a single person at all interested in the movie. I haven't heard any buzz and, what I have heard, in particular from people who love 300 and movies of this type, is negative. Is that better evidence for you?
That's better grounds to come to the conclusion you have, sure. Is it better evidence that a restricted November genre film isn't getting the same buzz it would had it been released 5 months earlier...or that YOU don't know a single person at all interested in the movie...no. I personally don't know a single person interested in Transformers yet it's like what, the 4th highest grosser ever? You're circle of friends means nothing when it comes to evidence.

Quote:
Also, there is a big difference between the Immortals and Transformers. Transformers is a big brand name that brings in all of the kids. The Immortals is R rated and has no brand appeal.
Transformers will make more money than Immortals, yes I understand.
That doesn't mean Immortals is a sure fire "bomb" as it were.

The film just needs to find the right audience. For example it's all over UFC events (even on their shorts). I've seen gossip sites like Perez Hilton(yes I get curious) all over the "hot boys" and what not. The superman buzz is building even though Warners would rather wait till after said studio releases its film to push theirs.

I think it's performance is slightly up in the air at the moment. If it opens in the mid to high 20 mill I think it will do well for itself. It will also need good reviews. This time of year is when critics seem to carry more weight, and with Tarsem they either love his "artistic" style or hate him because of it. And the film will surely be brisk counter programming for the men that hate twilight. Between now and Christmas, how many films do action(large market) junkies actually have on their radar? And don't under estimate the power of the "myth" brand. It's one of the longest standing brands there is. The mention of Zeus or Hercules has more recognition than almost any comic book character. All that is needed is A list talent(a la nolan).

That's my take on "evidence," and it goes beyond 'Well I don't think it looks all that appealing.' Time will tell.

__________________
1992's Universal soldier is my favorite Wolverine vs Sabretooth movie.
Marvin is offline  
Old 10-20-2011, 03:59 AM   #984
flickchick85
Loose Seal
 
flickchick85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 11,841
Default Re: Henry Cavill IS Superman: - Part 6

If Immortals' budget really is $100m as has been reported, it's gonna need a bigger opening than in the high-$20m range, though. If it doesn't open over $40m at least, it's screwed. And sadly, I don't think that's happening.

__________________
4.19.14
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

01000110011011110111001000100000011001010111011001 10010101110010011110010010000001100001011101000110 11110110110100100000011000100110010101101100011011 11011011100110011101101001011011100110011100100000 01110100011011110010000001101101011001010010000001 10000101110011001000000110011101101111011011110110 01000010000001100010011001010110110001101111011011 10011001110111001100100000011101000110111100100000 01111001011011110111010100101110
flickchick85 is offline  
Old 10-20-2011, 04:01 AM   #985
elgaz
Side-Kick
 
elgaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Ireland
Posts: 2,753
Default Re: Henry Cavill IS Superman: - Part 6

Has anyone watched the Immortals featurette on Cavill?

The film didn't interest me at all, but after watching the featurette I might go see it. Cavill comes across well.

elgaz is offline  
Old 10-20-2011, 04:05 AM   #986
Astrodust
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,613
Default Re: Henry Cavill IS Superman: - Part 6

Immortals doesn't need to recoup it's budget state side though. I'm seeing lots of advertising worldwide for this film. However Twilight opens the following week so ya... I don't know what to think. Maybe all the people that hate Twilight will go see Immortals out of frustration.

Astrodust is offline  
Old 10-20-2011, 05:59 AM   #987
DKDetective
"He'll be a god to them."
 
DKDetective's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,132
Default Re: Henry Cavill IS Superman: - Part 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
That's better grounds to come to the conclusion you have, sure. Is it better evidence that a restricted November genre film isn't getting the same buzz it would had it been released 5 months earlier...or that YOU don't know a single person at all interested in the movie...no. I personally don't know a single person interested in Transformers yet it's like what, the 4th highest grosser ever? You're circle of friends means nothing when it comes to evidence.
I didn't mean my circle of friends. I would have said my friends if that's what I meant. No, I'm talking about being in lecture halls with hundreds of people each day, most I don't know and listening to people talk before/after class, during breaks. Tends to be a lot of small talk about movies or tv shows people are excited about or dislike. I think that is about as good evidence as any of us can come up with around here. This is a fan message board. Do I need to start attaching social science studies to everything I post? Everything we can offer is either pure speculation (like your arguments based on assumptions and generalizations) or anecdotal evidence. I never said my opinion or the opinions of the people I go to university with are definitive proof or you are wrong. Just that they suggest the movie to me, on a hunch, the movie won't do so well.

DKDetective is online now  
Old 10-20-2011, 06:50 AM   #988
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick
 
Dr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,746
Default Re: Henry Cavill IS Superman: - Part 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrodust View Post
It will probably only make 85-110 million domestic. Hopefully it can recoup its loss overseas.
This is an important factor. Clash of the Titans had a fair box office domestically - though not anywhere near breaking even. But for whatever reason, it was big in foreign markets, earned 67% of its total gross there. It qualifies as an overall hit. Not impossible that Immortals could show a similar pattern.

Dr. is offline  
Old 10-20-2011, 08:57 AM   #989
Marvin
Side-Kick
 
Marvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 16,395
Default Re: Henry Cavill IS Superman: - Part 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post
If Immortals' budget really is $100m as has been reported, it's gonna need a bigger opening than in the high-$20m range, though. If it doesn't open over $40m at least, it's screwed. And sadly, I don't think that's happening.
I'm actually very curious how much more people think Immortals costs than Real Steel. Because my projections are based on it performing in a similar fashion. Except with a far better European market.

-They like art films over there
-They like "Greek" myth over there
-They like(and know) British actors over there

Last I checked Steel is considered a success. And I'm guessing it's effects budget and (A list) star gave it a budget north of 80mill. With Advertising even moreso. That being said Immortals is going to be restricted....however bad that decision imo, that may give it the edge of quality over the likes of Clash.

__________________
1992's Universal soldier is my favorite Wolverine vs Sabretooth movie.
Marvin is offline  
Old 10-20-2011, 09:06 AM   #990
Marvin
Side-Kick
 
Marvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 16,395
Default Re: Henry Cavill IS Superman: - Part 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDetective View Post
I didn't mean my circle of friends. I would have said my friends if that's what I meant. No, I'm talking about being in lecture halls with hundreds of people each day, most I don't know and listening to people talk before/after class, during breaks. Tends to be a lot of small talk about movies or tv shows people are excited about or dislike. I think that is about as good evidence as any of us can come up with around here. This is a fan message board. Do I need to start attaching social science studies to everything I post? Everything we can offer is either pure speculation (like your arguments based on assumptions and generalizations) or anecdotal evidence. I never said my opinion or the opinions of the people I go to university with are definitive proof or you are wrong. Just that they suggest the movie to me, on a hunch, the movie won't do so well.
I tend to agree, I just think in terms of that particular form of evidence applied to this particular instance, the logical path way that determines if this film will bomb is fallace.

In the case of Avengers for example it's all well and good. But how many of these students were raving about Lion King 3D? On the flip side I assume many people were talking and talk about Drive and look at how that's performing. Yes it's all speculation on these boards but the way people talk really is one of the worst indicators of anything.

Stats and Comparisons hold more ground than most other things. And right now I see it as being inconclusive either way. If I were to toss out my speculative "evidence" I'd say the effects driven action/adventure blockbuster drives hollywood market, especially when it's demographic is the 18-35 market. Now when was the last big one of those released...

__________________
1992's Universal soldier is my favorite Wolverine vs Sabretooth movie.
Marvin is offline  
Old 10-20-2011, 10:24 AM   #991
SuperMike335!!
Side-Kick
 
SuperMike335!!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,465
Default Re: Henry Cavill IS Superman: - Part 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
I agree. Also I've personally grown to love the height Cavill presents for the character. He's a tall guy but no to the point where it undermines his secret identity. I mean I have about 2 good friends that crack the 6'4 barrier. And as much as I believe in the rhetoric behind the glasses disguise, the super tall stature does it absolutely no favors. It just draws way too much attention to be believable. It would be as if Thor tried to pull of the Clark look for a day.

Like I said he's got the perfect combination of stature and presence, if not just an inch away. But then again look at what was done to Jimmy Marsden in the wake of Hugh Jackman with some simple staging tricks.
6'2 vs 5'10
Overall I agree with that. In this movie so long as he looks a little bit taller than the human co-stars I'm happy. That's easy to do. He should look a few inches taller than Pa-Kent and Perry White in the movie.

They may have him "say" 6'4" in the movie if he is asked his height, just to make the GA happy since that is what they believe Superman's stature to be, based on the older movies, which are very well known, and so he does not come off as "anything less than Reeve".

Otherwise they would just make him look a few inches taller than most other men he is filmed with, and figure so long as he looks tall, but not extremely tall, then that's good enough. Not like a whole head taller than every human man which makes him stand out like dog balls however.


Last edited by SuperMike335!!; 10-20-2011 at 10:32 AM. Reason: was not done when hit post before....
SuperMike335!! is offline  
Old 10-20-2011, 10:32 AM   #992
elgaz
Side-Kick
 
elgaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Ireland
Posts: 2,753
Default Re: Henry Cavill IS Superman: - Part 6

You know what, I was a big Mangiello supporter and part of the reason for that was that I wanted a true 6"3 - 6"5 guy playing Superman. Someone who looked big, powerful, imposing, as I've always seen Superman drawn.

But I'll happily admit, I was probably wrong. Cavill's more 'normal' height works perfect for making his Clark Kent persona more invisible in a crowd of people, and when he's in Superman guise they can use lifts and camera angles to accentuate his height and stature a little, and only if he needs it (i.e. in a scene with other tall actors).

Cavill's workout regime and build have also made him look very broad and strong in the shoulder/chest area, which again helps with his stature if they're going to exaggerate his height a little. That's important because ordinarily a smaller guy wearing lifts still has a small stature, and does not look like a naturally taller guy would - which was one of the main reasons a lot of people opposed the casting of say, Matthew Bomer. But Cavill just looks big now anyway, and 1-2 inches extra height in Superman guise won't look out of place.

elgaz is offline  
Old 10-20-2011, 10:32 AM   #993
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 0
Default Re: Henry Cavill IS Superman: - Part 6

This thread is now closed it has a continuation thread Here

Thread Manager is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:22 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.