The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: Which Version(s) of Lex Luthor?
Mad Scientist 76 21.41%
Inventor 101 28.45%
Corrupt Businessman 318 89.58%
Fan of Superboy (root of his hatred for Superman) 6 1.69%
Former Friend of Clark Kent in Smallville 49 13.80%
Crook (Donnerverse) 16 4.51%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 355. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 09:39 PM   #26
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User

Default Re: The Official Lex Luthor Casting Thread - Part 4

Moyer, imo is a better Dr. Doom or even Wolverine. He's too feral for Luthor. Luthor is anything but rugged and feral.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:46 PM   #27
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Mark Strong

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
Old 08-20-2011, 11:08 PM   #28
X Knight
Straight Edge Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus_Prime_ View Post
Moyer, imo is a better Dr. Doom or even Wolverine. He's too feral for Luthor. Luthor is anything but rugged and feral.
agreed.

Old 08-21-2011, 02:42 AM   #29
Majik1387
Casting Extraordinaire ;D

First, it's called acting. Second, it's called the wardrobe and hair and make up department.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:28 AM   #30
sf2
Side-Kick

mmm... first of all, is there a lex luthor character in MOS?

Old 08-21-2011, 01:07 PM   #31
DocHoliday
The King of Cool

Wow tough question. If he was little bit younger I'd be all for Ed Harris.

Old 08-21-2011, 01:09 PM   #32
\S/JcDc\S/
Panned User

Ed Harris was the fan fav Perry choice for a long time.

Old 08-21-2011, 01:29 PM   #33
DocHoliday
The King of Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by \S/JcDc\S/ View Post
Ed Harris was the fan fav Perry choice for a long time.
I can understand that. He's versatile.

Old 08-21-2011, 01:31 PM   #34
\S/JcDc\S/
Panned User

Out of the 1000 choices that could work for Perry

Old 08-21-2011, 01:35 PM   #35
Project862006
Banned User

still like Rhys Meyers for a young luthor

Old 08-23-2011, 10:45 PM   #36
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalMart View Post
Mark Strong
Leave him as Sinestro.

You know, I wouldn't mind Matthew Goode for the role

Last edited by Optimus_Prime_; 08-23-2011 at 10:52 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:50 PM   #37
The Watchman
Balls McGee

I would

I just blue myself
Old 08-23-2011, 11:55 PM   #38
bunk
superhero fan

The bald judge from master chef America.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:56 PM   #39
The Watchman
Balls McGee

Steve Guttenberg

I just blue myself
Old 08-24-2011, 01:47 AM   #40
ElDuderino
Side-Kick

Yeah, I'm guessing if Lex is in this, it's a VERY minor role. I don't think he's in it, to be honest.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:03 AM   #41
fixxxer1022
Side-Kick

looks as lex is not in this, im not happy at all.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:32 AM   #42
Matt
We Are Hunter Rider!
SHH! Global Moderator

Yeah, filming is well under way and Lex still hasn't been cast. I think it is time to accept that he will not be in the movie.

My guess is he will be a post-credit cameo or an end of the film mention (kind of like Moriarty in Sherlock Holmes). This is a mistake, IMO. Lex isn't just a villain who can wait til the second film (like Joker in the Nolan-verse). Lex is an important supporting character to Superman. It is like doing Holmes film without Watson or leaving Snape out of an adaptation of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.

Fanboys ***** that he has been overused on film and I agree, as the main villain he has been overused. But he is still a MAJOR supporting character in the SUperman lore (rivaled only by Lois). He is Superman's Earth-based counterpoint. Omitting him is unforgivable, IMO.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:36 AM   #43
fixxxer1022
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Yeah, filming is well under way and Lex still hasn't been cast. I think it is time to accept that he will not be in the movie.

My guess is he will be a post-credit cameo or an end of the film mention (kind of like Moriarty in Sherlock Holmes). This is a mistake, IMO. Lex isn't just a villain who can wait til the second film (like Joker in the Nolan-verse). Lex is an important supporting character to Superman. It is like doing Holmes film without Watson or leaving Snape out of an adaptation of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.

Fanboys ***** that he has been overused on film and I agree, as the main villain he has been overused. But he is still a MAJOR supporting character in the SUperman lore (rivaled only by Lois). He is Superman's Earth-based counterpoint. Omitting him is unforgivable, IMO.

well said!

Old 08-24-2011, 11:00 AM   #44
Superman_200
Superman

Quote:

I think that the fans that complain about Luthor are the ones that wanted another more fantastic comic book villain. I think he is central to the story regardless of the villain that Superman faces. If he is the bright shinning rich star of Metropolis, how could he not appear in a movie. He should always have some say, even if he isn't the main villain, but he should be present, at least as a shadow in the city. His presence should be felt. But I think that since they are filming the action first to have as much time as possible to mess with the CGI before the movie comes out, I think Luthor will be in it and cast after the action.

I am also wondering if he has been cast and not announced at all. I don't even know if that is possible to do for whatever legality issues that could have. I don't have a clue. But it could very well be if that is possible, that they already have him cast or will be cast later without making an announcement. That is if Meloni is not Luthor. I would imagine either Meloni is Luthor, or they are going to wait until later to actually cast him or announce him and it will be the biggest name in the film. Most likely someone of Sean Penn's caliber or Daniel Day Lewis.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:13 AM   #45
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!

Of course, the frustrating thing about people complaining Lex Luthor has been done to death on film is that we've yet to really see a proper adaptation of the comics Lex Luthor (from any era, really, even Silver Age mad scientist era Lex had more complexity than Gene Hackman's land-grabbing robber baron), so if we got that in this film it would really be a cinematic first of sorts.

And check out my new comic, AND THEN EMILY WAS GONE!

And listen to my slick Scottish voice on The Off-Panel Podcast!
Old 08-24-2011, 11:17 AM   #46
ElDuderino
Side-Kick

Quote:

It all depends on what story you're doing. Lex doesn't have to have anything to do with Supermans origin or when he becomes Superman.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:45 AM   #47
The Watchman
Balls McGee

Quote:

Co-sign, well said and my thoughts exactly.

I just blue myself
Old 08-24-2011, 11:53 AM   #48
Rodrigo90
Jaredy Joker!

He might end up being a Government Scientist like in the relaunch. I wouldn't be surprised, saying as how the Government will have a huge role in this movie. Also with not just the lack of mention of Lex, but no regards to LexCorp either.

Old 08-24-2011, 05:39 PM   #49
NotFadeAway
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus_Prime_ View Post
Fair point. Ok, How about Alexis Denisof?

LOST- 2004-2010: "The most important part of your life was the time you spent with these people. "

Best comic film of all time. The Dark Knight Rises!

Old 08-24-2011, 06:18 PM   #50
Dark Knight
Banned User

Quote:

Hmm....how do we do know that Chris Melonis' "Colonel" character will not wind up revealing himself as Lex Luthor in the 3rd act or toward the end of the film? It's doubtful, but still a possibility.

Closed Thread