The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: Which Version(s) of Lex Luthor?
Mad Scientist 76 21.41%
Inventor 101 28.45%
Corrupt Businessman 318 89.58%
Fan of Superboy (root of his hatred for Superman) 6 1.69%
Former Friend of Clark Kent in Smallville 49 13.80%
Crook (Donnerverse) 16 4.51%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 355. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 11:13 AM   #76
FilmNerdJamie
The Mod You Deserve
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: The Official Lex Luthor Casting Thread - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDuderino View Post
You can have a beginning, middle and end, then have a set up for the next movie. That should be obvious.
Not obvious to Marvel.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:15 AM   #77
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

"this better be more than a stand-alone movie.......

I think WB is counting on that, too. "

If they were doing this as a standalone film, I dont think it would have had an origin. It probably wouldnt be a reboot as such either.
Of course, they're eyeing sequels.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:27 AM   #78
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust View Post

If they were doing this as a standalone film, I dont think it would have had an origin. It probably wouldnt be a reboot as such either.
I guess stand-alone was a poor choice of words on my part. Sorry guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post
Not obvious to Marvel.
Oh no he didn't...

Old 08-25-2011, 11:51 AM   #79
Rowsdower!
Mightiest Mortal?

Curious Jamie, I've heard that Showtime and maybe you also had some info on earlier drafts of the MOS script. Supposedly, earlier versions had Lex in the script... do you know if the version they're using still have him in it?

Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Hair (2016)
Hair League for Men (2017)
Wonder Woman's Styling Tips (2018)
Hair of Steel 2 (2018)

The Dark Knight Glazes (2019)
Old 08-25-2011, 11:52 AM   #80
Rodrigo90
Symbol of Fear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust View Post

Or perhaps they just got lazy like with SR.

"Why don't we just blend Superman II in with Smallville?"

"What do you mean?"

"Instead of a really cool movie, we'll just set it all in Smallville, stick Zod and that Ursa chick from SMII in it, and hire a ginger actress for Lois Lane and a black man for Perry White...damn these drugs are good. Bryan Singer used them when he was making that poor half-assed sequel wannabe"

I believe in Batfleck

Things I have been right about before they were confirmed -
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
1. Superman having no trunks
2. Bruce Wayne retiring and Batman being made a martyr
3. Bryan Cranston NOT being Lex Luthor
4. Joker being the big bad in Batman: Arkham Origins
5. Green Goblin not wearing a mask and being mutated
Old 08-25-2011, 12:44 PM   #81
Godzilla2014
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
I think the whole "saving Lex for a sequel but pulling a Joker card" thing is pretty dumb. I mean, okay... Superman, has just bested not one, put probably THREE super-powered badasses in the first film (Zod, Ursa and whoever mo-cap man turns out to be). And then in the sequel he's supposed to be threatened by an evil businessman? Look, I know Goldman Sachs is capable of destroying the world 50 times over, but seriously, that's going to feel kind of underwhelming.

That's why I feel Lex should have a presence throughout out this movie, and any movies they release. Behind the scenes, pulling the strings, etc. If they try to make him the full-out central villain in the second one after only mildly alluding to him in the first one, I think that will be a misstep. Plus, it also means we might have yet another film where they shy away from Superman's other comic book villains.
To me, Lex Luthor, especially as a corrupt businessman, may be an even better villain than the 3 Kryptonians. Lex Luthor provides the opportunity for Superman to battle a social force, instead of just alien overlords.

Quote:
We've only seen Joker on the silver screen twice - three if you want to count Batman: the Movie. If we got him as much as we've gotten Luthor in the movies, I guarantee we'd hear whining, "The Joker is the villain...AGAAAAAAAAAAAIN!?!"

Not everything needs sequel setups, you know. It's actually a good thing to make a self-contained movie that serves a story with a beginning, middle and end.
Agreed.

This post was brought to you by Godzilla.

http://i.imgur.com/6FNiJ.jpg

The more you know.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:23 PM   #82
FilmNerdJamie
The Mod You Deserve
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
Curious Jamie, I've heard that Showtime and maybe you also had some info on earlier drafts of the MOS script. Supposedly, earlier versions had Lex in the script... do you know if the version they're using still have him in it?
Some of the stuff that's gotten out (set picture wise) is gelling with what we heard the story was. That contained Luthor yes, but it's a smaller role and could be easily either re-written into a different character or completely jettisoned.

My guess? He's in the finished product.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:36 PM   #83
Gamma Goliath
Engine of Destruction

my guess is that luthor has been secretly cast and will film his scene as some supposed reshoots.

Greatness lies, not in being strong, but in the right using of strength; and strength is not used rightly when it serves only to carry a man above his fellows for his own solitary glory. He is the greatest whose strength carries up the most hearts by the attraction of his own.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:44 PM   #84
FilmNerdJamie
The Mod You Deserve
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma Goliath View Post
my guess is that luthor has been secretly cast and will film his scene as some supposed reshoots.
That's along the lines of what I think too.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:54 PM   #85
Sherlock Holmes
Banned User

If luthor is in the film. I just hope he is behind the scenes. Kind of like moriarty. A ****ing genious mastermind who only shows his hand when superman arrives. I would also love it if luthor uses superman in some way to complete his plan.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:03 PM   #86
Lord Blackbolt
Side-Kick

I hope Luther is in the movie and its RICH businessman Lex. He's manipulating the public and he's not a major menace until the end, then it hints to the future sequel, like how they set up Joker in Batman begins.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:15 PM   #87
Shabadoo
Side-Kick

Multimillionaire businessman Lex has always been my favourite. To me, manipulating public opinion against Superman, grand schemes, etc. have been the best and most believable ways he's fought against Supes. Not a fan of mad scientist, let's fight Supes with the gadget of the week type stories.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:26 PM   #88
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Yeah, filming is well under way and Lex still hasn't been cast. I think it is time to accept that he will not be in the movie.

My guess is he will be a post-credit cameo or an end of the film mention (kind of like Moriarty in Sherlock Holmes). This is a mistake, IMO. Lex isn't just a villain who can wait til the second film (like Joker in the Nolan-verse). Lex is an important supporting character to Superman. It is like doing Holmes film without Watson or leaving Snape out of an adaptation of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.

Fanboys ***** that he has been overused on film and I agree, as the main villain he has been overused. But he is still a MAJOR supporting character in the SUperman lore (rivaled only by Lois). He is Superman's Earth-based counterpoint. Omitting him is unforgivable, IMO.
Disagree completely. He's no more a necessary part of a movie than Norman Osborne is to Spider-Man. Certainly he's Superman's archrival, and an often used supporting cast member, but so is the Joker. Joker is as much a piece to Batman psychologically as he is a main villain. Lex isn't necessary to Superman's origin, his life in Smallville (as he is abscent from many of those stories) or even many of his battles as Superman. Lex doesn't need to be a part of a Darkseid, Mongul, Bizzaro, Brainiac or Toyman story for example. Those characters all stand on their own from time to time. If the function of a movie is to provide a story worthy of an hour and a half of my time there is no reason why every one of those Superman movies needs to include Lex. Most, yes, most Superman movies should probably include Lex, not every one does. I think the fact that many seem to think of Lex the way you said is why Superman's rogue's gallery is largely ignored.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:50 PM   #89
Doc Krypton
PhD in Comicology

Quote:
Some of the stuff that's gotten out (set picture wise) is gelling with what we heard the story was. That contained Luthor yes, but it's a smaller role and could be easily either re-written into a different character or completely jettisoned.

Is there any way you could fill us in on what was in the early drafts? I'm curious as to Lex having a "smaller" role, specifically.

Old 08-25-2011, 05:03 PM   #90
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

I want a hybrid of scientist and corporate overseer. STAS did it well by sometimes having crazy giant robots or other criminals attempting to deal with Supes with him being behind it the whole time. He knows physically he can't beat him (unless they go with the suit at some point) but he can play the blame game with him by having the public see the damage he's causing and doing more harm than good.

Old 08-25-2011, 05:44 PM   #91
Rodrigo90
Symbol of Fear

Best of both worlds. The old and relaunch.

Lex should be a businessman with strong ties to the goverment, and has an unhealthy obsession with aliens in general (when Supes and Zod show up). More of a keen scientific mind, rather than business. Could find and use alien technology for the sequel.

I believe in Batfleck

Things I have been right about before they were confirmed -
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
1. Superman having no trunks
2. Bruce Wayne retiring and Batman being made a martyr
3. Bryan Cranston NOT being Lex Luthor
4. Joker being the big bad in Batman: Arkham Origins
5. Green Goblin not wearing a mask and being mutated
Old 08-25-2011, 07:12 PM   #92
Rowsdower!
Mightiest Mortal?

Quote:

Very cool, thanks. Can you give us any tidbits on what version of Lex was in the script? Businessman? Mad scientist? Bit of both? If not, no problem... just curious.

Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Hair (2016)
Hair League for Men (2017)
Wonder Woman's Styling Tips (2018)
Hair of Steel 2 (2018)

The Dark Knight Glazes (2019)
Old 08-25-2011, 07:19 PM   #93
Godzilla2014
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
I want a hybrid of scientist and corporate overseer. STAS did it well by sometimes having crazy giant robots or other criminals attempting to deal with Supes with him being behind it the whole time. He knows physically he can't beat him (unless they go with the suit at some point) but he can play the blame game with him by having the public see the damage he's causing and doing more harm than good.
I like that idea.

This post was brought to you by Godzilla.

http://i.imgur.com/6FNiJ.jpg

The more you know.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:42 PM   #94
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick

I really hope lex is in it. Lex and supes could have a tense and classic scene if they play it right. I just love that rivalry

Old 08-25-2011, 11:57 PM   #95
Gamma Goliath
Engine of Destruction

I still wait for the day when I see Superman floating outside Lex luthors window with glowing red eyes as Lex stares back with a look of hatred, on the big screen.

Greatness lies, not in being strong, but in the right using of strength; and strength is not used rightly when it serves only to carry a man above his fellows for his own solitary glory. He is the greatest whose strength carries up the most hearts by the attraction of his own.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:34 AM   #96
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma Goliath View Post
I still wait for the day when I see Superman floating outside Lex luthors window with glowing red eyes as Lex stares back with a look of hatred, on the big screen.
This

Old 08-26-2011, 11:57 AM   #97
mcallima
Almost a real person.

I always like to think of Lex as a corrupt, evil Steve Jobs. Yes, he should be a business tycoon, but there's nothing stopping him from being an inventor too.

_
Fiery the angels fell; deep thunder rolled around their shores; burning with the fires of Orc._
Old 08-26-2011, 12:12 PM   #98
7heBoss
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcallima View Post
I always like to think of Lex as a corrupt, evil Steve Jobs. Yes, he should be a business tycoon, but there's nothing stopping him from being an inventor too.
Kind of going off what you said, I imagine Lex Luthor being an evil Tony Stark.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:13 PM   #99
fanboiii
disciple of truth

I don't see why he can't be a number of those. His genius made him lonely, bitter, and egotistical. But because he's a genius, he has an advanced understanding of science and can invent things. His inventions leads to a profitable business. Then, the exposure and popularity of his business leads to political interests.

It's actually quite realistic, like a twisted Ben Franklin.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:15 PM   #100
Shabadoo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7heBoss View Post
Kind of going off what you said, I imagine Lex Luthor being an evil Tony Stark.
YES. That would be perfect!

Closed Thread