The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: Which Version(s) of Lex Luthor?
Mad Scientist 76 21.41%
Inventor 101 28.45%
Corrupt Businessman 318 89.58%
Fan of Superboy (root of his hatred for Superman) 6 1.69%
Former Friend of Clark Kent in Smallville 49 13.80%
Crook (Donnerverse) 16 4.51%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 355. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 12:23 PM   #101
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

Default Re: The Official Lex Luthor Casting Thread - Part 4

And I don't think there should be any arc where he somewhat likes Superman from the start or anything. His motivations should be strictly malevolent the whole time, whether trying to persuade Supes to do something, or trying to smear his name. He should immediately feel somewhat threatened as soon as his existence is known.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:34 PM   #102
fanboiii
disciple of truth

I don't see Lex as an evil Tony Stark. Stark is a tech nerd to the core, but with strong political opinions. He's like Bill Gates.

Lex on the other had has mainly political interests. He wants to shape society, and technology to him is a means to an end.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:48 PM   #103
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

So if Lex were to be in this, will there be any chance we get to see Mercy?

Old 08-26-2011, 12:50 PM   #104
Sherlock Holmes
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
So if Lex were to be in this, will there be any chance we get to see Mercy?
Mercy from luthor unlikely. Ha!

I would like to see her in it though.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:00 PM   #105
Bad Superman
World's Grimmest Hero

I suspect that we might see Lex in the final scene or at least get a mention of him in the final seconds of the film. Something similar to what Nolan did with Joker on Batman Begins. This way, the character will be set up for the sequel.

"There’s no need to "modernize" Superman in order for the character to be appealing to the new generation. Superman is not a brooding angst ridden conflicted hero. He is a beacon of hope and his mission is to fight for Truth, Justice and the American way. Superman doesn’t need to wear an armor suit. He’s THE Man of Steel. There’s no need to “modernize” the suit for it to be more “dark” and “edgy”. If today’s generation can’t accept the character’s roots and essence, then they’re not true fans."
Old 08-26-2011, 08:11 PM   #106
Sebastos
Bebop User

I think a mention could work, show he does indeed have a presence.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." - Winston Churchill

Currently Listening To:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 08-26-2011, 08:26 PM   #107
Bad Superman
World's Grimmest Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Fist View Post
I think a mention could work, show he does indeed have a presence.
A mention would be nice. I think that a back shot would also work. You don't need to cast an "expensive" actor for it. Just a back shot of the bald man in his office reading the newspaper about Superman or looking outside the window while Superman flies would work.

"There’s no need to "modernize" Superman in order for the character to be appealing to the new generation. Superman is not a brooding angst ridden conflicted hero. He is a beacon of hope and his mission is to fight for Truth, Justice and the American way. Superman doesn’t need to wear an armor suit. He’s THE Man of Steel. There’s no need to “modernize” the suit for it to be more “dark” and “edgy”. If today’s generation can’t accept the character’s roots and essence, then they’re not true fans."
Old 08-26-2011, 10:37 PM   #108
XEdge
Straight Edge and Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Superman View Post
I suspect that we might see Lex in the final scene or at least get a mention of him in the final seconds of the film. Something similar to what Nolan did with Joker on Batman Begins. This way, the character will be set up for the sequel.
I'm starting to feel that this is the best way to do it.

as much as I want Lex to be in it, the film is starting to feel a bit crowded with the military, Zod, Faora, and what looks to be cgi Kryptonian henchmen/creatures, etc.

also, this would be a way to make the movie "Kryptonite free" until the end.

in the final scenes of the movie, someone ( perhaps Mercy ) delivers a metal box to an unseen man. The man opens the box to reveal the green glow of Kryptonite. Then we pan up to see the devious smile on Lex's face!

Old 08-27-2011, 02:59 AM   #109
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Something like that, yeah, but I think there should still be mentions or hints at Luthor throughout the film even if they're really subtle.

I hope they're planning a trilogy and Lex, who I see as Superman's ultimate enemy, being human and all, really gets the center-stage in the third film.
Or maybe the second film if they're planning on using Darkseid or Brainiac as a villain.

I'd just like to see a big build-up for Lex and an even bigger reveal ala Palpatine, where he actually gets close to killing Supes possibly in a kryptonite-powered mech-suit.

But I really cant figure out who to use for main-villains in the sequels, and in what order, if Lex will also be a prominent part of the storyline.

Maybe something like:

MOS: Zod, Faora, mocap-men, possibly colonel Hardy and possible introduction of Lex.

MOS-2: Possibly Metallo (if Meloni's Hardy turns out to be a movie-version of John Corben), Lex planning a big finale using Metallo as a test-run. Or possibly Brainiac if he's mentioned in MOS.

MOS-3: Possibly Brainiac or Darkseid in the ****-storm of the millenia. Or maybe this will be Lex's big finale. Would be kinda cool to end the MOS-trilogy with Superman facing off a mere man.

Anyone have different suggestions for use of villains in sequels?

Old 08-27-2011, 12:38 PM   #110
XEdge
Straight Edge and Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust View Post
Something like that, yeah, but I think there should still be mentions or hints at Luthor throughout the film even if they're really subtle.

I hope they're planning a trilogy and Lex, who I see as Superman's ultimate enemy, being human and all, really gets the center-stage in the third film.
Or maybe the second film if they're planning on using Darkseid or Brainiac as a villain.

I'd just like to see a big build-up for Lex and an even bigger reveal ala Palpatine, where he actually gets close to killing Supes possibly in a kryptonite-powered mech-suit.

But I really cant figure out who to use for main-villains in the sequels, and in what order, if Lex will also be a prominent part of the storyline.

Maybe something like:

MOS: Zod, Faora, mocap-men, possibly colonel Hardy and possible introduction of Lex.

MOS-2: Possibly Metallo (if Meloni's Hardy turns out to be a movie-version of John Corben), Lex planning a big finale using Metallo as a test-run. Or possibly Brainiac if he's mentioned in MOS.

MOS-3: Possibly Brainiac or Darkseid in the ****-storm of the millenia. Or maybe this will be Lex's big finale. Would be kinda cool to end the MOS-trilogy with Superman facing off a mere man.

Anyone have different suggestions for use of villains in sequels?
I think that's a pretty good outline.

Lex will probably take center stage in the 2nd film. And with Lex, Metallo would be the perfect villain to tie with him.

The 2nd film should also set up a much larger villain ( Braniac or Darkseid, as you suggested ), who will be the main threat in the 3rd film.

Lex should also continue to play an important part in the 3rd film.

And, perhaps the villains from the 1st film ( Zod and Faora ) will return to tie in with the main threat of the 3rd film, to bring the story full circle.

Old 08-27-2011, 12:46 PM   #111
\S/JcDc\S/
Panned User

Can people stop ripping off the "joker card" type setup comment? It has been said to death. It is like a broken record at this point.

Old 08-27-2011, 12:49 PM   #112
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

So how would one draw Darkseid to Earth? I would like it if the Anti-Life Equation was somehow involved.

As for a second film, I agree Lex and Metallo would be cool possibly with Brainiac pulling the strings.

Old 08-27-2011, 12:53 PM   #113
XEdge
Straight Edge and Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
So how would one draw Darkseid to Earth? I would like it if the Anti-Life Equation was somehow involved.

As for a second film, I agree Lex and Metallo would be cool possibly with Brainiac pulling the strings.
the way I've always envisioned it is that Zod is somehow tied to Darkseid.

Perhaps Zod betrayed Krypton and sided with Darkseid, which led to Krypton's destruction........

so, ultimately, Darkseid has a much deeper connection to Krypton's past....and thus to Superman......

Old 08-27-2011, 04:32 PM   #114
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick

Again...I hope we get darksied with luthor, but I think he's to big to share screentime with lex, I doubt we get darkseid at all

Old 08-27-2011, 08:43 PM   #115
I Am The Knight
You came back to dance?

Yeah, I'm really not sure what they are doing with Lex. He's too big to not be a part of a Superman story that is also an origin story. I'm thinking that maybe they are getting around that by having the story take place in different places...Maybe the movie will be very Smallville-centric, and I'm assuming a nice chunk of the movie will have Clark travelling the world...Once he gets his arse to Metropolis, I suppose they will have Lois mention that she is working on an article on Luthor, or LexCorp...

SHH. You owe us your livelihood. / Avvy by Kane52630!
Old 08-27-2011, 09:25 PM   #116
hame4479
Side-Kick

Honestly I will be very upset if Luthor isnt in this in some role resembling present day lex in the comics. He had better be a selfmade billionaire and the CEO of his own corporation.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:31 PM   #117
Rodrigo90
DafoeISJoker

In the next few weeks, he's going to be a Goverment Scientist.

I believe in Batfleck
Old 08-27-2011, 09:34 PM   #118
\S/JcDc\S/
Panned User

Corporate Lex is a lock. The question is just when he is introduced really. I would love if they made a reporter joke where someone says "Lex what about your offshore property dealings?" and he responds "I'm really not into real estate anymore."

Old 08-27-2011, 09:37 PM   #119
Rodrigo90
DafoeISJoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by \S/JcDc\S/ View Post
Corporate Lex is a lock. The question is just when he is introduced really. I would love if they made a reporter joke where someone says "Lex what about your offshore property dealings?" and he responds "I'm really not into real estate anymore."
Just like the underwear were a lock? I ain't holding my breath though.

And that would be genius

I believe in Batfleck
Old 08-28-2011, 05:59 AM   #120
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by \S/JcDc\S/ View Post
Haha, that would be great.

But if there were any Lex Luthor in-joke I'd include in his dialogue, it would be a scene with him at his office. He walks past his secretary's desk, and sees she has a plate of cakes sitting out. She offers him one, and he takes it.

"Mmmm, I could take 40 of these," he says.

"That's terrible," replies the secretary.

And check out my new comic, AND THEN EMILY WAS GONE!

And listen to my slick Scottish voice on The Off-Panel Podcast!
Old 08-28-2011, 01:31 PM   #121
Superman_200
Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
Haha, that would be great.

But if there were any Lex Luthor in-joke I'd include in his dialogue, it would be a scene with him at his office. He walks past his secretary's desk, and sees she has a plate of cakes sitting out. She offers him one, and he takes it.

"Mmmm, I could take 40 of these," he says.

"That's terrible," replies the secretary.
I don't get it. Is that a reference to something? I can't place it.

Old 08-28-2011, 03:36 PM   #122
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!

And check out my new comic, AND THEN EMILY WAS GONE!

And listen to my slick Scottish voice on The Off-Panel Podcast!
Old 08-28-2011, 03:45 PM   #123
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

That is the most random thing I've ever seen. Well, after the HC "child-bearing" hips comment.

Old 08-28-2011, 04:13 PM   #124
Superman_200
Superman

40 cakes? I've never heard of that before. Something like that I wouldn't mind, only some fans would ever catch on. Good job.

Old 08-28-2011, 06:21 PM   #125
super-t
Side-Kick

If Lex is in this....we must havea scene like this lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35frUO8E094