GreenKToo
In the fire

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - Part 5

lol, what scares you??

Old 08-27-2011, 11:42 PM   #78
Willi Berg
Side-Kick

During the Sucker Punch promotion, Snyder did say that Sucker Punch was good in giving him experience with a CGI villain, since he usually had human enemies in his movies, and that he could use that experience for the Superman movie.

Old 08-28-2011, 01:20 AM   #79
Puckenstein
JETPACKS ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugster View Post
some of you scare me... Wow!
" "

Old 08-28-2011, 03:01 AM   #80
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenKToo View Post
Yep. I think this will have all the action that we have been begging for. Once the ''Metropolis'' scenes start up, I expect even bigger and better scenes of destruction.
I dunno, man. I think the final showdown takes place in Smallville and maybe Metropolis is just where they first encounter. They'll probably butt heads there, but I think the main-battle goes down in Smallville.

Old 08-28-2011, 11:27 AM   #81
Slugster
the Slugster

How crazy some people get over thing they have no control over like (me) and the SR hair side and curl. I should be mad because there is no trunks but for some reason Im not. I thnk Im just happy that the people involved are so good at what they do and Im finally going to see the Superman Ive always wanted... ONE THAT HAS AN ATTITUDE!

Old 08-28-2011, 12:27 PM   #82
bgshw44
Side-Kick

it is amazing how different this will be, not in a tim burton way. and people are ok with the change (including myself!!) i think it has to do with the quality of individuals behind the film, and on screen

Lets go WB make another superman movie!!
Old 08-28-2011, 12:37 PM   #83
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrollySupersj View Post
Is it ok if I ask this here?

I always wondered what Superman's internal anatomy was like. What does a kyrptonian look like on the inside? Have the comics ever covered that?
Since he looks human on the outside, I think the common assumption is that he looks human on the inside too.

On the other hand... something like "super breath" simply can't work unless there's some pretty unique architecture within Supes' lungs.

Old 08-28-2011, 02:05 PM   #84
Superman_200
Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. View Post
Since he looks human on the outside, I think the common assumption is that he looks human on the inside too.

On the other hand... something like "super breath" simply can't work unless there's some pretty unique architecture within Supes' lungs.
Isn't super breath just that the air comes out of his lungs and mouth with much more force than a human's? I never understood the physics of that his breath forms ice. If it is breath from a body being expelled, shouldn't it be luke warm? Unless he has a body temperature of about -15 degrees. The heat vision, I could live with that because it appears to be a flame or something. Flame can be shot out of flame thrower easily, but I have never seen anything that blows out air cold enough to freeze something in the atmosphere without having something to keep the air itself cold. If it comes from a warm body, how can the air be so cold? I am looking too much into this I think.

Old 08-28-2011, 02:16 PM   #85
hopefuldreamer
I will find him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust View Post
I dunno, man. I think the final showdown takes place in Smallville and maybe Metropolis is just where they first encounter. They'll probably butt heads there, but I think the main-battle goes down in Smallville.
Hmmm, nah I don't see it. I think the final showdown would be something different to that.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 08-28-2011, 02:59 PM   #86
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman_200 View Post
Isn't super breath just that the air comes out of his lungs and mouth with much more force than a human's? I never understood the physics of that his breath forms ice. If it is breath from a body being expelled, shouldn't it be luke warm? Unless he has a body temperature of about -15 degrees. The heat vision, I could live with that because it appears to be a flame or something. Flame can be shot out of flame thrower easily, but I have never seen anything that blows out air cold enough to freeze something in the atmosphere without having something to keep the air itself cold. If it comes from a warm body, how can the air be so cold?
There’s something called the Joule-Thompson Effect that describes how the temperature a gas changes when it’s forced through a small aperture.
More generally… when you compress air, it heats up - and when you expand it, it cools down. (For example, when you fill a scuba tank, it gets noticeably warmer – at least for a time. And if you release the air, it gets almost frigid.) So there is a bit of science behind Supes’ “freeze breath.”

The problem is the volume of air it would take to produce a reasonable freeze effect or do enough work to, say, blow out a house fire. When you inhale, the airflow stops when the pressure inside and out is equalized. Thus, the average lung capacity of an adult male is about 6 liters. For a bigger guy, it’ll be a bit more – but it all has to do with body size. Being strong or even super strong doesn’t affect the physics of air volume and pressure.

Supes would need the equivalent of a gas compressor and gas storage chambers in his lungs to do his “super breath” routine. Which means his internal anatomy would be different.

Quote:
I am looking too much into this I think.
Not at all. The neat thing about discussing the fake science of superheroes... is that it encourages you to know about real science. That's not a bad thing.

Old 08-28-2011, 06:44 PM   #87
Weadazoid
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. View Post
There’s something called the Joule-Thompson Effect that describes how the temperature a gas changes when it’s forced through a small aperture.
More generally… when you compress air, it heats up - and when you expand it, it cools down. (For example, when you fill a scuba tank, it gets noticeably warmer – at least for a time. And if you release the air, it gets almost frigid.) So there is a bit of science behind Supes’ “freeze breath.”

The problem is the volume of air it would take to produce a reasonable freeze effect or do enough work to, say, blow out a house fire. When you inhale, the airflow stops when the pressure inside and out is equalized. Thus, the average lung capacity of an adult male is about 6 liters. For a bigger guy, it’ll be a bit more – but it all has to do with body size. Being strong or even super strong doesn’t affect the physics of air volume and pressure.

Supes would need the equivalent of a gas compressor and gas storage chambers in his lungs to do his “super breath” routine. Which means his internal anatomy would be different.

Not at all. The neat thing about discussing the fake science of superheroes... is that it encourages you to know about real science. That's not a bad thing.

Yup and if you ever have a CO2 hookup ... like say for a kegmiseter or something else, then you would know a very tiny leak actually looks very cold.... makes the connection ice over.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:01 AM   #88
moviefreak
Side-Kick

Interesting discussion about the science of Superman. I recall a programme that I saw on the TV called “The science of Superman”, quite good programme if only because I'm both a Superman fan and a scientist in real life. Fyi, this programme is on Youtube in 3 parts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj7-X7L-MmY I have noted that a lot of fans complained about Superman being unrealistic and that some wanted Superman to be grounded in “reality” like Nolan's Batman (whom I view as not being realistic at all) and viewing the red trunk as being “goofy”. I'm sorry to say that from a literature and comic/graphic standpoint these are ridiculous arguments made for a character who thrives in the realm of fantasy story with element of sci-fi. I viewed this discussion as a deconstruction of a comic character, it may be no bad things but it only do disservice to Superman because he is supposed to be a fantastic visual character and should be transferable to film medium. A vivid example of deconstruction is making his suit visually so bland and ordinary looking that he approached the level of dull black like Batman. I read a lot of books from overtly heavy literature to light comics and have seen tons of movie in my lifetime, the one trend that I do NOT want the comic book film to go to is “Nolanisation” to put it in mild term, making Superman film such a dull and sometime boring affair like Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. In this real world, people suffered a lot, I have seen a lot of people scrapping for living, entangled with a couple of corrupted government goons. There are miserable realities for a lot of people being played out 24/7 on the TV, I would rather that Superman to be a completely fantastic character, red trunk and all, a visual feast in a cinema setting. The only thing left for me is to hope that Sydner bring an entertaining Superman, a true form of escapist entertainment.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:45 AM   #89
herolee10
Ultimate Hero

Man, it still sucks that this film was pushed back 6 months later. IF I were a executive at Warner Bros., I would have pushed back 'The Hobbit' instead at June, since it has better legs to compete against established franchises like Iron Man 3 and Thor 2, and it would have given MOS the distinct honor of not having to compete with any upcoming or preceding comic book films.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:56 AM   #90
Liam_H
Side-Kick

But December of 2012 is already really packed, Hobbit has better chance of succeeding since it is established. Also Iron Man 3 comes out about 5 weeks before MOS and Thor 2 5 weeks after, without another CBM entering the fray it has plenty of breathing room.

Spill

Old 08-29-2011, 10:49 AM   #91
Showtime
Accomplishing Wonders
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
I agree.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:20 AM   #92
Willi Berg
Side-Kick

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime View Post
I agree.
I'm starting to believe that too now. There could still be major battles elsewhere but it might be resolved in Smallville. Zod and co. may go after Martha or something like that (judging from the set photos) and Superman has to follow and defeat them there.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:06 PM   #93
Dark Knight
Banned User

I was browsing around trying to get info on the main special effects house hired for Man Of Steel and it looks to be good news!

It looks to be Double Negative per IMDB.

Special Effects
•Double Negative
•Pixel Liberation Front (previsualization)

http://www.imdb.com/company/co0105115/

Last edited by Dark Knight; 08-29-2011 at 02:22 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:19 PM   #94
Superman_200
Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
I was browsing around trying to get info on the main special effects house hired for Man Of Steel and it looks to be good news.

Special Effects
•Double Negative

That would be pretty cool!

Old 08-29-2011, 02:22 PM   #95
Dark Knight
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman_200 View Post
That would be pretty cool!

Just as long as it isn't Sony!

Double Negative does good work!

Old 08-29-2011, 02:51 PM   #96
\S/JcDc\S/
Panned User

Quote:
I feel the same. It just raises questions for me as far as him keeping the identity separate. I mean... Clark is from SV where all this goes down, and becomes a Metropolis DP reporter. He already has the resemblance yo. If they make him the DP Clark towards the end it would make more sense. Maybe he is the freelance reporter who happens to live there and catches the story.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:22 PM   #97
Sherlock Holmes
Banned User

I personally think he gets his ass handed to him by zod and flies to smallville to recoup. There he chats to martha saying he brought this to earth. Martha reassures him and zod arrives.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:20 PM   #98
Sgt.Pepper
Nowhere Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
I was browsing around trying to get info on the main special effects house hired for Man Of Steel and it looks to be good news!

Special Effects
•Double Negative

Yeah, it's official, as their site put Man of Steel on a list of upcoming projects they're currently working on.

Source

Old 08-29-2011, 04:26 PM   #99
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Super Cheers!

Old 08-29-2011, 04:31 PM   #100
BlueLantern
Hope Burns Bright

Double Negative are awesome. Looking forward to their work.