The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Hype RPG Games > Approval & General RPG Discussion

View Poll Results: You agree?
Yes! God, yes! 12 85.71%
Nah, we're fine 2 14.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2011, 12:48 PM   #26
Byrd Man
El Hombre Pájaro
 
Byrd Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: America
Posts: 21,497
Default Re: Revolution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegeabo View Post
But don't tell us how to accomplish that
I like it. Dude knows what he wants, but doesn't feel the need to preach to everyone...unlike others.

__________________
"These are the times that try men's souls... Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
-- Thomas Paine


"People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election."
-- Otto von Bismarck


Below The Bible Belt
Southern Hospitality - Delivered Monthly
Byrd Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:59 PM   #27
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,419
Default Re: Revolution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrd Man View Post
I like it. Dude knows what he wants, but doesn't feel the need to preach to everyone...unlike others.
I know how to make his life easier:

Stop playing the games


But that's not very helpful either.

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.

Last edited by wiegeabo; 08-25-2011 at 01:03 PM.
wiegeabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:53 PM   #28
MST3K 4ever
BRING IT BACK!
 
MST3K 4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: In front of a computer
Posts: 5,077
Default Re: Revolution!

Harl made some great points and I agree with him...above all else as noted by the wise SuperFerret these games are supposed to be fun.

The creativity in these RPGs is just amazing and it's the only reason I continue to come to this site.

__________________
Know yourself & your enemy & you need not fear the outcome of a thousand battles-- General Sun-Tzu

John 3:16
MST3K 4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:55 PM   #29
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,419
Default Re: Revolution!

now that right there is useful.

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:57 PM   #30
MST3K 4ever
BRING IT BACK!
 
MST3K 4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: In front of a computer
Posts: 5,077
Default Re: Revolution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegeabo View Post
now that right there is useful.
Sorry about being brief at times...at work right now.

__________________
Know yourself & your enemy & you need not fear the outcome of a thousand battles-- General Sun-Tzu

John 3:16
MST3K 4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:50 PM   #31
Byrd Man
El Hombre Pájaro
 
Byrd Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: America
Posts: 21,497
Default Re: Revolution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFerret View Post
Harl makes a lot of good points, especially regarding the new game application process. The most successful game down here is the DC RPG, and that started (quite literally) with one sentence posts and Batman running over a cat. If anything else, let people make their own RPGs and let them stand or fall based on their own merit. All these applications and forms and stuff get too tedious and take away from the fun.

And games are supposed to be fun.
I missed this one earlier, but let me say that it's not the app. They're not tedious for most of us. At most it takes, what, an hour to bang one out? If you don't have the energy or patience to sit down and write out an app, then **** you, I don't want you playing with me in a game. It easily takes that long to write a post sometimes. Along with everyone else gauging how well you can write, a sample post will help you see if you want to play the character. I might be interested in Dr. Strange, but if I try to write a sample and struggle through it, then I'm not a good fit.

It's not tedious, it's about making sure you actually have a thought out, well planned idea instead of a half-assed story arc that you bail out of after two posts. That helps nobody.

__________________
"These are the times that try men's souls... Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
-- Thomas Paine


"People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election."
-- Otto von Bismarck


Below The Bible Belt
Southern Hospitality - Delivered Monthly
Byrd Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:52 PM   #32
Batman
Dramatic Example
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Batman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Gotham City, NJ
Posts: 19,268
Default Re: Revolution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrd Man View Post
I missed this one earlier, but let me say that it's not the app. They're not tedious for most of us. At most it takes, what, an hour to bang one out? If you don't have the energy or patience to sit down and write out an app, then **** you, I don't want you playing with me in a game. It easily takes that long to write a post sometimes. Along with everyone else gauging how well you can write, a sample post will help you see if you want to play the character. I might be interested in Dr. Strange, but if I try to write a sample and struggle through it, then I'm not a good fit.

It's not tedious, it's about making sure you actually have a thought out, well planned idea instead of a half-assed story arc that you bail out of after two posts. That helps nobody.
Not to mention, as much as that may make it less 'fun' for the new player in question, having people like that be allowed to show up and disappear makes it even worse for the RPG as a whole.

Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:54 PM   #33
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,419
Default Re: Revolution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrd Man View Post
I missed this one earlier, but let me say that it's not the app. They're not tedious for most of us. At most it takes, what, an hour to bang one out? If you don't have the energy or patience to sit down and write out an app, then **** you, I don't want you playing with me in a game. It easily takes that long to write a post sometimes. Along with everyone else gauging how well you can write, a sample post will help you see if you want to play the character. I might be interested in Dr. Strange, but if I try to write a sample and struggle through it, then I'm not a good fit.

It's not tedious, it's about making sure you actually have a thought out, well planned idea instead of a half-assed story arc that you bail out of after two posts. That helps nobody.
Especially since you can use your sample post as your first IC post.

At that point, you're not out any time at all (except for the character selection bit). Plus, it gives GM's a chance to help new players out with their writing or understanding of how to play and post.


Also, that bit about how the DC game started? I tried reading Season 1...then I stopped trying.

You know when it got good? Season 2. When things became more formalized and everyone starting getting comfortable.

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:57 PM   #34
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,419
Default Re: Revolution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman View Post
Not to mention, as much as that may make it less 'fun' for the new player in question, having people like that be allowed to show up and disappear makes it even worse for the RPG as a whole.
I still miss the Brotha-Man and Joker show.

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:59 PM   #35
Batman
Dramatic Example
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Batman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Gotham City, NJ
Posts: 19,268
Default Re: Revolution!

And let me just say that, for the record, even if some ideas did get out of hand and may have contributed to the fact that we're declining in activity, let's get something straight: It all started exactly like this thread did. We all wanted to improve the games and make them better for everyone, not just ourselves. So as much as I agree that things may have gotten too out of hand, there's no reason to throw out any of the genuinely good ideas that came from us deciding that we could stand to use a little improvement, either. Just because a template for how a game works meant a breakthrough in the past doesn't mean that it'll guarantee success in the present.

Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:03 PM   #36
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,419
Default Re: Revolution!

That's why I say, let's start with the most obvious and easier to change, exposure. Because it's all about Location, Location, Location.

So let's first get our stuff moved out of the basement and into the blinding, searing, burning light of day. Then see if activity picks up just doing that.

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:29 PM   #37
NiteMare Shape
Livin' like a Sheen
 
NiteMare Shape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: My own Fortress of Solitude
Posts: 3,733
Default Re: Revolution!

Being relatively new to the games in comparison to alot of you, I can honestly say that the application process was not a hinderance to me at all. In fact, I found it somewhat helpful in a way as it made me sit down and really think out the character I was applying for.

I found it very straightforward and actually made me get into the character a bit more than I was before I applied.

I think that our biggest problem is that alot of the guys who have been around for awhile now just don't have the time/interest and we haven't been very accessable to new players, be it our visibility or our way of handling newbies.

I'll be the first to say I don't have the answers, and I agree with alot of what everyone has already said. Not having been here before the move to the basement, I don't know what it was like before...So I'll just shut up and let you guys continue.

NiteMare Shape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:19 PM   #38
Batman
Dramatic Example
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Batman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Gotham City, NJ
Posts: 19,268
Default Re: Revolution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteMare Shape View Post
I think that our biggest problem is that alot of the guys who have been around for awhile now just don't have the time/interest and we haven't been very accessable to new players, be it our visibility or our way of handling newbies.
That's actually true, those are the main hindrance factors that are keeping the forums inactive. It has just as much to do with the fact that most of the players are in college and have a heavy work or life load to handle than the fact that we're not integrated into another part of the boards.

The games have to fun, yes, and I wholeheartedly agree... but there's also a bit of commitment that comes with having to get a post up every two weeks in order to keep playing. I understood that from day one when I applied for Nightwing in Season II of World of Heroes, and every time I've fallen behind is because of my own fault or my own real life issues. We are responsible as individuals for our posting rate, which is the life blood of the RPG's. Whether we bring in new people or not doesn't even matter compared to that. We all have to be into it in order to play.

Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 05:09 AM   #39
Harlekin
Business
 
Harlekin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 20,592
Default Re: Revolution!

I don't think anyone has a problem with character applications. We were talking about game applications.

But I do agree with wieg, let's just start with location first.

Harlekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:24 AM   #40
Byrd Man
El Hombre Pájaro
 
Byrd Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: America
Posts: 21,497
Default Re: Revolution!

I hear what you're saying, but I think there still has to be a little something when it comes to creating new games. There has to be something that can prove that:

A) Your ass is at least capable of putting together a decent, coherent sentence.

B) You have an idea with more thought behind it besides "New DC RPG so I can play Batman. lolz." (Looking at you, MB! )


(Also, Harl, get your ass back in ASM and finish that ****ing post.)

__________________
"These are the times that try men's souls... Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
-- Thomas Paine


"People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election."
-- Otto von Bismarck


Below The Bible Belt
Southern Hospitality - Delivered Monthly
Byrd Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:08 AM   #41
Batman
Dramatic Example
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Batman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Gotham City, NJ
Posts: 19,268
Default Re: Revolution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrd Man View Post
B) You have an idea with more thought behind it besides "New DC RPG so I can play Batman. lolz." (Looking at you, MB! )
Hey, it worked, goddammit.

Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:00 PM   #42
Spike_x1
Get off my bandwagon!
 
Spike_x1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Little Jimmy's Retarded Caribbean Playground
Posts: 15,512
Default Re: Revolution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrd Man View Post
I hear what you're saying, but I think there still has to be a little something when it comes to creating new games. There has to be something that can prove that:

A) Your ass is at least capable of putting together a decent, coherent sentence.

B) You have an idea with more thought behind it besides "New DC RPG so I can play Batman. lolz." (Looking at you, MB! )
Agreed.

__________________
"Look into the soul of Bane and know the truth. We will topple your kingdom if it takes an eternity. We will defeat Hell."
Spike_x1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:34 PM   #43
Harlekin
Business
 
Harlekin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 20,592
Default Re: Revolution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrd Man View Post
I hear what you're saying, but I think there still has to be a little something when it comes to creating new games. There has to be something that can prove that:

A) Your ass is at least capable of putting together a decent, coherent sentence.

B) You have an idea with more thought behind it besides "New DC RPG so I can play Batman. lolz." (Looking at you, MB! )


(Also, Harl, get your ass back in ASM and finish that ****ing post.)
In the morning, it will be there.

Harlekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 02:19 PM   #44
trustyside-kick
The Marine Marvel
 
trustyside-kick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: The Aquacave
Posts: 16,475
Default Re: Revolution!

Gotta do what is best for the games. So sure. Although, couldn't we have that 1 section for Applications? Then there are 3 sections: Applications, Games, Archives.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCorpulent1 View Post
Aquaman can only be whole when he loses that hand again and reclaims the super-awesome water hand. It's one of comics' great paradoxes.
trustyside-kick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 03:47 PM   #45
Rain Dog
Failure
 
Rain Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Inside a broken clock
Posts: 1,843
Default Re: Revolution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteMare Shape View Post
I think that our biggest problem is that alot of the guys who have been around for awhile now just don't have the time/interest and we haven't been very accessable to new players, be it our visibility or our way of handling newbies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman View Post
That's actually true, those are the main hindrance factors that are keeping the forums inactive. It has just as much to do with the fact that most of the players are in college and have a heavy work or life load to handle than the fact that we're not integrated into another part of the boards.
The problem is us.









Only us.

Rain Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:02 AM   #46
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,419
Default Re: Revolution!

So, I'm thinking about putting OU and SW on pause until we get the games moved and more visible. Their activity has bottomed out as is, and there's not real reason to keep them going until they become more active.

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:08 PM   #47
Carnage27
No one's puppet
 
Carnage27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,225
Default Re: Revolution!

Sorry I've been gone, gents. Computer problems along with getting acclimated in the real world outside of college and the job search have taken up all my time. I've got a new computer now though, and I'll try to get back to posting.

But I can't lie, my posting started to drop off once it became a situation where each game only had 2-3 other players posting. It's just not a whole lot of fun when there's so little participation.

__________________
I got no strings on me...
Carnage27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:19 PM   #48
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,419
Default Re: Revolution!

Ok, Mr. Mod. When the hell can we get our stuff moved?

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:34 PM   #49
Carnage27
No one's puppet
 
Carnage27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,225
Default Re: Revolution!

Question about a possible move.

Are we just carrying the current active games over as is? Or is this a complete fresh start? I would imagine it's the former, but I just want to make sure.

__________________
I got no strings on me...
Carnage27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:36 PM   #50
Byrd Man
El Hombre Pájaro
 
Byrd Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: America
Posts: 21,497
Default Re: Revolution!

If we do it, it'd be the former.

__________________
"These are the times that try men's souls... Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
-- Thomas Paine


"People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election."
-- Otto von Bismarck


Below The Bible Belt
Southern Hospitality - Delivered Monthly
Byrd Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:50 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.