The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: Should this Superman kill?
No. 133 70.00%
Yes, its about time 32 16.84%
He should Find a way to send them to the Phantom Zone 14 7.37%
Other (explain) 11 5.79%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 12:24 PM   #26
Superman_200
Superman

Default Re: Should this Superman kill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFerret View Post
Superman isn't a soldier, his powers allow him to take alternate routes. (Also, Superman should act more like a police officer than a soldier.) Also, it doesn't make sense for him to put the lives of humans above the lives of others when he himself isn't human.
He isn't selfish. He is supposed to be more of a God than man as Superman anyway. He has no other home, just Earth and the people he loves are human. If he were to kill any of the 3 aliens, he is killing aliens who supposedly
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
killed his parents
and have killed others. He would be killing people who are as strong as him and there are 3 of them. How is that not even self-defense?

Old 08-24-2011, 12:39 PM   #27
jaymes_e06
TRINITY

No it would be rather pointless and unauthentic to just make him kill for the sake of being edgy IMO anyway.

:o
Old 08-24-2011, 01:25 PM   #28
SuperFerret
King of the Urban Jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman_200 View Post
He isn't selfish. He is supposed to be more of a God than man as Superman anyway. He has no other home, just Earth and the people he loves are human. If he were to kill any of the 3 aliens, he is killing aliens who supposedly
killed his parents
and have killed others. He would be killing people who are as strong as him and there are 3 of them. How is that not even self-defense?
Even given that story (which is hopefully not true), Superman wouldn't kill. No, wait. Especially given that story, Superman won't kill.

And he shouldn't kill anyway in the movie, as it's not representative of his character.

And you're still not addressing why he should hold humans on a higher pedestal.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:36 PM   #29
nikdavies15
GreekinWelsh

I know we're talking the new Superman, but with people commenting about Superman in general as well, didn't he kill Zod and the others in Superman II.....(?)

His human values should mean he never kills, but looking at humans today, who knows what a modern day Superman is meant to think....!

Old 08-24-2011, 01:40 PM   #30
Rodrigo90
I'm mad!

Quote:
I think he will probably wind up having to kill them if he even can kill them. I think the Phantom Zone will probably not exist in the movie. I think because of the team around the movie, that they would probably like to have something more realistic than the Phantom Zone. Most likely, I would imagine Zod was never imprisoned. That he just left Krypton after he most likely destroyed it and had been following Jor-El's son to Earth.
Wasn't there a rumor that said Kal-El's ship has the means to open up portals to different galaxies and it ends up realeasing Zod and co from the Phantom Zone? Might explain what's going on in Smallville.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:40 PM   #31
Sam
Im Always Around

No! You dont change that.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:44 PM   #32
Superman_200
Superman

Quote:
Even given that story (which is hopefully not true), Superman wouldn't kill. No, wait. Especially given that story, Superman won't kill.

And he shouldn't kill anyway in the movie, as it's not representative of his character.

And you're still not addressing why he should hold humans on a higher pedestal.
He is raised by humans. He believes in humans and he should hold them on a higher pedestal because no one poses a threat to him so he doesn't really need to kill a human in self defense and humans compose the only world that he knows. It would be kind of like a man among dogs. A man would kill say a dog that was tearing him to pieces in self defense but if he want a man wouldn't harm a dog. That is a bad analogy but the question your asking is strange, it is basically, why isn't Superman willing to kill people? Well, he doesn't need too. But same principle. He is raised by humans, loves humans and it is the only world he knows. Would he kill them? No, why would he is a better question. No one poses a threat to him, but even a monk would probably kill someone in self-defense, it is only natural.

Police kill in self-defense, men kill in self-defense, everything that can kill will kill in self-defense if needed. Its nature, its to survive.

Last edited by Superman_200; 08-24-2011 at 02:00 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:53 PM   #33
Superman_200
Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo90 View Post
Wasn't there a rumor that said Kal-El's ship has the means to open up portals to different galaxies and it ends up realeasing Zod and co from the Phantom Zone? Might explain what's going on in Smallville.
I really don't know. I don't know how anyone knows anything about the story at all. I don't even know how people know theres
a tornado scene.
I need to see these things told officially. How could rumors be getting out when no one has read the script other than the actors?

Old 08-24-2011, 01:57 PM   #34
Sam
Im Always Around

Incredible.. ppl complain about a damn red trunk, but wants Superman to kill!

They get upset about a tiny detail, but wants to change his essence... go figure!

Old 08-24-2011, 01:59 PM   #35
SuperFerret
King of the Urban Jungle

No. The question is why would Superman (an ALIEN) choose to place another species (HUMANS) on a pedestal over all other species (EVEN HIS OWN)? Superman is able to see that non-humans can be people too, and that killing them is the same as killing a human, and since (as you said, though you're horribly missing the why behind it) he wouldn't kill a human, he wouldn't kill a non-human.

Also, you're really barking up the wrong tree here with the nature and survival stuff. Yes, if ABSOLUTELY necessary, a police officer will kill someone. Same with most people. Same with Superman, but you're forgetting that we're talking about the new Superman movie here, and he shouldn't kill in the movie because it's not in his character and the movie serves primarily to display his character to new audiences. If he kills in the movie, people will think he does it all the time.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:00 PM   #36
Rodrigo90
I'm mad!

Well, he DID kill Doomsday.

But the battle was never about Supes trying to kill the monster. It was about subduing him in way he could. Doomsday died from exhaustion.

And in Whatever Happened To The Man Of Tomorrow, he killed Mxyzptlk. This resulting in Clark 'killing' Superman, because 'Superman NEVER kills'.

Superman fights till the end, but never kills. It goes against his nature and destroys him.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:09 PM   #37
Superman_200
Superman

Quote:
No. The question is why would Superman (an ALIEN) choose to place another species (HUMANS) on a pedestal over all other species (EVEN HIS OWN)? Superman is able to see that non-humans can be people too, and that killing them is the same as killing a human, and since (as you said, though you're horribly missing the why behind it) he wouldn't kill a human, he wouldn't kill a non-human.

Also, you're really barking up the wrong tree here with the nature and survival stuff. Yes, if ABSOLUTELY necessary, a police officer will kill someone. Same with most people. Same with Superman, but you're forgetting that we're talking about the new Superman movie here, and he shouldn't kill in the movie because it's not in his character and the movie serves primarily to display his character to new audiences. If he kills in the movie, people will think he does it all the time.
If he doesn't kill in the movie, thats fine. But my point is that he doesn't kill anyone unless it is in self-defense. If it is him or the other aliens, what is he supposed to do then? I am saying in self-defense, that is what I am saying. How does that not make sense?

Old 08-24-2011, 02:14 PM   #38
SuperFerret
King of the Urban Jungle

He would still find another way. He would do everything he can to not kill them before he even considers killing someone.

Old 08-24-2011, 03:10 PM   #39
M.E.H.Z.E.B
Banned Usèr
SHH! Global Moderator

The only killing I want this Superman to do is at the box office.

member of gods among men
Old 08-24-2011, 03:13 PM   #40
Sherlock Holmes
Banned User

No no no. It would go against everything he is. He is no killer.

Old 08-24-2011, 03:15 PM   #41
TenFold
Banned User

I wouldn't mind. Just a pure hard r rated version would be sick

Old 08-24-2011, 03:16 PM   #42
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.E.H.Z.E.B View Post
The only killing I want this Superman to do is at the box office.
Gotta keep the suits happy.

Old 08-24-2011, 03:21 PM   #43
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
He is raised by humans. He believes in humans and he should hold them on a higher pedestal because no one poses a threat to him so he doesn't really need to kill a human in self defense and humans compose the only world that he knows. It would be kind of like a man among dogs. A man would kill say a dog that was tearing him to pieces in self defense but if he want a man wouldn't harm a dog. That is a bad analogy but the question your asking is strange, it is basically, why isn't Superman willing to kill people? Well, he doesn't need too. But same principle. He is raised by humans, loves humans and it is the only world he knows. Would he kill them? No, why would he is a better question. No one poses a threat to him, but even a monk would probably kill someone in self-defense, it is only natural.

Police kill in self-defense, men kill in self-defense, everything that can kill will kill in self-defense if needed. Its nature, its to survive.
Have you met Lex Luthor?

Old 08-24-2011, 03:33 PM   #44
X Knight
Straight Edge Knight

NO!! NO!! NO!!

Superman does NOT kill!!

Superman should NOT kill!!

The ONLY time where a death of someone ( like a villain ) is acceptable would be if it's because of the villain's own doing. That is, Superman tries to save the villain, but the villain's ego, arrogance, etc. leads him to his death.

Superman, above all, should value life and should NOT be a killer......

Disney Lover and Proud!!
Old 08-24-2011, 03:44 PM   #45
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFold View Post
I wouldn't mind. Just a pure hard r rated version would be sick
Go away.

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Old 08-24-2011, 03:54 PM   #46
jjgravitas
Side-Kick

Kill? No. Superman is not about killing, even if his enemies are. Superman has Kryptonian technology at his disposal via his fortress. One of the gifts that the Smallville series gave us was the notion that the Fortress was much more than a dead crystal structure that showed pictures or played recordings. Even Donner's version included technology for removing Kryptonian powers. I would prefer to see a Superman who has mastered Kryptonian technology and can use it to dispose of villains who are too super to be laid low by a super punch. Super fights are so seventies. Send 'em to the 'Zone, Supe!

Old 08-24-2011, 03:58 PM   #47
TruerToTheCore
Banned User

Superman doesn't kill, except -- sentient robots (only organic life counts!) and Bizarro (because he's not alive, technically)

To answer the question: No.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:54 PM   #48
Superman_200
Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
Have you met Lex Luthor?
Its all in the context. What I meant specifically by that is that obviously I was saying all the time "Superman should kill only in self-defense", so why does he not kill humans in self-defense? Why does he hold them on a pedestal as he put it? Because in self-defense, he doesn't need to kill a human. Superman should kill in self-defense, and I don't see how this is anything new since he killed Doomsday supposedly although he seems to reappear later on in other comics apparently or was alive all along. But that is not the point, he "kills" Doomsday (apparently) and it is in self-defense. I don't see why facing Zod and Faora and apparently a third villain as well, I don't see how that wouldn't be in self-defense.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:13 PM   #49
Astrodust
Side-Kick

He should get to kill robots and mindless beasts. He should also get to kill Zod but only unintentionally. I don't want to see him hit Faora at all.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:15 PM   #50
DIRECTOR
Side-Kick

why is everybody thinking that Superman REturns sucked because Superman didn't punch anybody??

Closed Thread