The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: Should this Superman kill?
No. 133 70.00%
Yes, its about time 32 16.84%
He should Find a way to send them to the Phantom Zone 14 7.37%
Other (explain) 11 5.79%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 06:18 PM   #51
fanboiii
disciple of truth

Default Re: Should this Superman kill?

The way he'll handle Faora is going to be interesting for sure. He'll probably just deflect and subdue her.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:22 PM   #52
djsunyc

i would like to see superman have to face a decision to save someone over another person...or have to deal with people dying in some collateral damage. to see a person struggle having all this power but not able to save everyone would be for some nice depth to his character...

Old 08-24-2011, 07:01 PM   #53
Godzilla2014
Deadpan Snarker

I love women, and hate domestic abuse, but seeing as to how Faora will be TRYING TO KILL HIM in the film, I have no problem at all with Superman hitting her. He has the right to defend himself from her just as he does from Zod.

This post was brought to you by Godzilla.

http://i.imgur.com/6FNiJ.jpg

The more you know.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:03 PM   #54
Godzilla2014
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRECTOR View Post
why is everybody thinking that Superman REturns sucked because Superman didn't punch anybody??
I am just as bewildered by it as you are. Personally, for superhero films/comics/whatever, I watch it for the characters first and action comes second.

The more you know.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:44 PM   #55
XEdge
Straight Edge and Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsunyc View Post
i would like to see superman have to face a decision to save someone over another person...or have to deal with people dying in some collateral damage. to see a person struggle having all this power but not able to save everyone would be for some nice depth to his character...
didn't they do that in the 1st Superman movie, where Superman had to choose between saving other people but was too late to save Lois?

Old 08-24-2011, 07:47 PM   #56
XEdge
Straight Edge and Proud

Quote:
why is everybody thinking that Superman REturns sucked because Superman didn't punch anybody??
the lack of action ( that is, physical fighting action ) was not the main reason SR sucked. it certainly played a part, but was not the main reason.

for me, the main reason was the story itself, the way Superman was written, and more specifically, that kid.........

Old 08-24-2011, 08:17 PM   #57
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Should this Superman kill?

Not on his own accord, so to speak.

I always had this story idea of Brainiac in full-attack mode on Metropolis...and since he can control all earthly technology he's creating numerous disasters at the same time. So much so that even Superman can't be all places at once. As fighter planes are sent in to fight Brainiac, he takes control of one and sends it screaming towards a highly-populated building. Superman is occupied on the other side of the city holding up a skyscraper that's about to topple over with one hand, and suspending a cable-car full of passengers whose cables had snapped with the other....high above the ground. He can't let go of either one. The fighter jet is just seconds away from hitting the building on the opposite end of the city, Superman can't get there in time.....so he does the only thing he can do to save the people in the building....

....he vaporizes the fighter plane with his heat vision from miles away...including the pilot inside....mere feet away from hitting the building...saving hundreds of people from certain death, but ending the life of one. And Brainiac mocks Superman for it....which fills Superman with a nearly helpless sense of rage, horror, and guilt. Brainiac then stops and disappears...his current plan complete: break Superman's spirit.

This was before TDK came out, and I felt that the most effective thing about the Joker as a villain wasn't his murderous lunacy, but his cruelty...creating impossible choices with unthinkable outcomes on both sides. I also said to myself..."Darn...I was hoping Brainiac could do something like that."

Superman made the right choice, the only choice he could...but it doesn't make him feel any better. He wills himself to attend the funeral of the downed pilot, trying to keep his composure as he approaches the pilot's mother....but he can't. He wants to tell her he's sorry, but he can't get the words out. He doesn't have to....because she comforts him...she tells him she knows he made the right choice, just as her son made the right choice by defending his country.

Superman tells her that her son is a hero....through her tears, she replies "that means a lot coming from you." She hands Superman her son's military dog tags...which Superman wears when we see him next....looking out over the sea as Brainiac approaches over the horizon. "This isn't for revenge...", he thinks to himself as his fist clenches, "...this is for justice. This is for those who make the right choice."

Cheesy...but something along those lines.

Edit: Wait...CRAP! That's from that TAS episode when Turpin gets fried by Darkseid, right?

Never mind.

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)

Last edited by KalMart; 08-24-2011 at 08:31 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:21 PM   #58
Godzilla2014
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalMart View Post
Should this Superman kill?

Not on his own accord, so to speak.

I always had this story idea of Brainiac in full-attack mode on Metropolis...and since he can control all earthly technology he's creating numerous disasters at the same time. So much so that even Superman can't be all places at once. As fighter planes are sent in to fight Brainiac, he takes control of one and sends it screaming towards a highly-populated building. Superman is occupied on the other side of the city holding up a skyscraper that's about to topple over with one hand, and suspending a cable-car full of passengers whose cables had snapped....high above the ground. He can't let go of either one. The fighter jet is just seconds away from hitting the building on the opposite end of the city, Superman can't get there in time.....so he does the only thing he can do to save the people in the building....

....he vaporizes the fighter plane with his heat vision...including the pilot inside....mere feet away from hitting the building...saving hundreds of people from certain death, but ending the life of one. And Brainiac mocks Superman for it....which fills Superman with a nearly helpless sense of rage, horror, and guilt. Brainiac then stops and disappears...his current plan complete: break Superman's spirit.

This was before TDK came out, and I felt that the most effective thing about the Joker as a villain wasn't his murderous lunacy, but his cruelty...creating impossible choices with unthinkable outcomes on both sides. I also said to myself..."Darn...I was hoping Brainiac could do something like that."

Superman made the right choice, the only choice he could...but it doesn't make him feel any better. He wills himself to attend the funeral of the downed pilot, trying to keep his composure as he approaches the pilot's mother....but he can't. He wants to tell her he's sorry, but he can't get the words out. He doesn't have to....because she comforts him...she tells him she knows he made the right choice, just as her son made the right choice by defending his country.

Superman tells her that her son is a hero....through her tears, she replies "that means a lot coming from you." She hands Superman her son's military dog tags...which Superman wears when we see him next....looking out over the sea as Brainiac approaches over the horizon. This isn't for revenge...", he thinks to himself as his fist clenches, "...this is for justice. This is for those who make the right choice."

Cheesy...but something along those lines.
I love this idea!

The more you know.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:29 PM   #59
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

If Superman is going to be responsible in any way or someone's death, it should ultimately, somehow, prove to be a sacrifice for the greater good. I think there's a moral responsibility on the part of a Superman storyteller to uphold the most central and innate ideal of the character, which is valuing life....and that no single death is meaningless. Just hope that it's not a plot device.

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
Old 08-24-2011, 08:41 PM   #60
Kurosawa
Banned User

Absolutely not under any circumstances.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:18 PM   #61
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney

Quote:
Because the fights are an important aspect of superhero movies. These aren't character studies.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:24 PM   #62
Gold Samurai
Side-Kick

Superman should fight Zod on a monorail and then not save Zod as the Kryptonite microwave emitter goes off.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:25 PM   #63
Doc Krypton
PhD in Comicology

I wouldn't mind a Superman that's more like the Golden Age Supes. He didn't directly kill anybody, but he wasn't opposed to a villain orchestrating his own death, usually on accident.

I also like KalMart's idea. Every Superman story is written in such a way that Superman CAN save everybody. But from a realistic perspective, Superman wouldn't be able to always save everybody. He's going to face a situation where he simply can't save everybody, or he does have to sacrifice one to save thousands. I know that the fans don't want to acknowledge that, and even I want to believe Superman can always save everybody, but look at the odds: he's going to have to face a situation like that eventually.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:25 PM   #64
Godzilla2014
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelDawes View Post
Because the fights are an important aspect of superhero movies. These aren't character studies.
Yes, they are. The characters come first, the fights come second.

The more you know.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:29 PM   #65
SuperFerret
A Decade of Derision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla2014 View Post
You're delusional.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:29 PM   #66
Liam_H
Side-Kick

^Yeap, the reason people love BB/TDK isn't because of the fights its because we love the story and characters. This basically applies to almost any other superhero movie.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:34 PM   #67
SuperFerret
A Decade of Derision

Nolan's Batfilms are not superhero movies.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:38 PM   #68
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla2014 View Post
Too bad the fights in SR didn't come at all.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:39 PM   #69
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFerret View Post
Nolan's Batfilms are not superhero movies.
Which might be why they're some of the most highly-regarded superhero movies of all time?

Old 08-24-2011, 09:41 PM   #70
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Character...AND action/fighting....in the same movie?!!! Are you MAD?!!

Old 08-24-2011, 09:41 PM   #71
SuperFerret
A Decade of Derision

And why the genre of actual superhero movies is dying. Because people expect "takes" on the character, and not the character itself. It's infuriating.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:42 PM   #72
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
And why the genre of actual superhero movies is dying. Because people expect "takes" on the character, and not the character itself. It's infuriating.
And the result is....we get better actual movies.

The horror.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:46 PM   #73
SuperFerret
A Decade of Derision

**** that ****. I want to see the characters I love on screen. I want to see a celebration of the superhero mythos and all that's good about the characters I love. I either don't get that and get a movie that I can watch a few times and then never watch again because it's too much (The Dark Knight), or I get a movie that showcases the stuff I like and people give me **** over liking it (Green Lantern).

At least Marvel seems to be doing the right thing.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:47 PM   #74
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam_H View Post
^Yeap, the reason people love BB/TDK isn't because of the fights its because we love the story and characters. This basically applies to almost any other superhero movie.
People loved TDK because of the story, characters, and the action. It's a package. SR didn't have that whole package. Not only did it not have any great fights, but the story wasn't anything to write home about, either.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:48 PM   #75
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney

Quote:
**** that ****. I want to see the characters I love on screen. I want to see a celebration of the superhero mythos and all that's good about the characters I love. I either don't get that and get a movie that I can watch a few times and then never watch again because it's too much (The Dark Knight), or I get a movie that showcases the stuff I like and people give me **** over liking it (Green Lantern).

At least Marvel seems to be doing the right thing.
To each his own. As someone who doesn't read comics, I've found the Marvel movies since IM1 to be incredibly underwhelming.