The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > Marvel Comics

Old 09-08-2011, 08:22 PM   #26
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

Default Re: The Rucka Punisher ongoing discussion!

I think the last major time he was seen was getting his ass kicked off panel by Cap in Civil War. I think he had been locked up since that day.

runawayboulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:16 AM   #27
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

I didn't read Civil War. Last time I saw Toomes was back in the Marvel Knights Spider-Man series.

Old 09-09-2011, 05:26 AM   #28
cthulhu
Gimme some sugar baby!!!

Hmm Civil War was good - probably the best of the recent events from Marvel (though I liked Seige too) worth your while checking it out as it had such an impact on the MU for a long time. Its not perfect but Hercules has an awesome scene with the clone thor - I remember the spiderman demasking was so shocking at the time. I cant believe the retconed that by cutting a deal with the devil! I dont really read SM but even I thought it was a huge WTF?

Im curious as to the requirement for the Punisher to be in 616 Marvel - will there be an event appreance sometime in the future?

Old 09-09-2011, 12:56 PM   #29
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

Civil War was decent but a lot of folks were written badly out of character. Fear Itself is challenging it for worst characterization at this point.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:55 PM   #30
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthulhu View Post
Hmm Civil War was good - probably the best of the recent events from Marvel (though I liked Seige too) worth your while checking it out as it had such an impact on the MU for a long time. Its not perfect but Hercules has an awesome scene with the clone thor - I remember the spiderman demasking was so shocking at the time. I cant believe the retconed that by cutting a deal with the devil! I dont really read SM but even I thought it was a huge WTF?

Im curious as to the requirement for the Punisher to be in 616 Marvel - will there be an event appreance sometime in the future?
Oh, I know pretty much everything that happened in Civil War. That's actually why I still haven't read it. It all sounds pretty terrible.

Old 09-10-2011, 08:48 PM   #31
StreetWarrior
Respectfully disagreeing.

It took three issues, but I can now say that I fully support Rucka's take on the Punisher. I was skeptical after Fraction nearly ruined the character and the whole "Franken-Castle" disaster but this guy really knows the character. As someone who has read and owns every PUNISHER issue Marvel has ever published, I can say that Rucka's writing is spot on (for now anyway). So, here's hoping Marvel keeps this direction!

Sidenote No.I: If the world made sense, MAX would be continuity and Franken-Castle would be an alternate reality (and forever forgotten). Before someone chimes in that the "haters never read it", I own the omnibus. It was okay as a story but NOT the MU Punisher. Thank God its over and Remender has moved on.

Sidenote No. II. Thank God the white boots and gloves are gone. They should never have returned. This isn't 1974/1985. Writers knew how lame this costume was in the early '90s and began phasing it out then. Why bring it back? So, here's hoping for more trenchcoats, bullet-proof vests, and real-world combat attire!

StreetWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 12:04 PM   #32
SpideyInATree
Never Go Full Retard

Yeah, that latest issue of Punisher was freakin' awesome. That was a pretty awesome sequence with Vulture and Punisher fighting each other in the air and Norah was trying to follow them. I knew Rucka would be awesome but he's really doing an amazing job...and Checchetto is knocking it out of the park with the pencils. Also liked the little tie in continuity with Daredevil...when Frank landed in the alley there was a newspaper headline that talked about Daredevil stopping the Spot.

http://www.glitchpoint.com

Check out their song Ignition
SpideyInATree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 02:47 PM   #33
El Bastardo
Literary elitist

Franken-Castle!

Old 09-11-2011, 03:22 PM   #34
Drz
Real Hero

Correct me if i'm wrong, but to my understanding the #3 ending was reflecting how the Widow is now possibly also becoming a very very angry vigilante like the Punisher? Since she had an army background and all. Still loving how brutal the fight was, and if i'm correct Rucka talked about how Punisher arguebly can't really kill supervillains withouth getting the Avengers attention, and since we already have a Spider-Man supporting character in our midts, is it time for Peter Parker and Punisher to have a talk?

Quote:
If you digged Millar's take on MU Punisher, you could check out Ultimate Avengers volumes 2 & 4 which feature the Punisher, illustured by the awesome Leinil Francis Yu:

In the 4th volume he has less focus, but volume 2 is an nice take on Punisher being forced to work for the Government, imagen if MU Punisher would become a "Thunderbolts" member pretty much. 2nd volume is about the Avengers versus Ghost Rider, here's even a preview for #1 of that, you can get this story in softcover or hardcover by now. Oh and yes its by the same writer who did Civil War, hence why i'm recommending these specifically.

Old 09-11-2011, 06:43 PM   #35
fat freddys cat
Side-Kick

Really ? First three issues ?

Best 616 Punisher in Years (not that has been difficult ) but serously ? This has an energy and freshness about it , I have not seen since when Ennis first came on, and Rucka really is doing his own work here, as 20 year plus hardcore fan of the Punisher, this is just great to see....

fat freddys cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:57 AM   #36
cthulhu
Gimme some sugar baby!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drz View Post
Correct me if i'm wrong, but to my understanding the #3 ending was reflecting how the Widow is now possibly also becoming a very very angry vigilante like the Punisher? Since she had an army background and all. Still loving how brutal the fight was, and if i'm correct Rucka talked about how Punisher arguebly can't really kill supervillains withouth getting the Avengers attention, and since we already have a Spider-Man supporting character in our midts, is it time for Peter Parker and Punisher to have a talk?

If you digged Millar's take on MU Punisher, you could check out Ultimate Avengers volumes 2 & 4 which feature the Punisher, illustured by the awesome Leinil Francis Yu:

In the 4th volume he has less focus, but volume 2 is an nice take on Punisher being forced to work for the Government, imagen if MU Punisher would become a "Thunderbolts" member pretty much. 2nd volume is about the Avengers versus Ghost Rider, here's even a preview for #1 of that, you can get this story in softcover or hardcover by now. Oh and yes its by the same writer who did Civil War, hence why i'm recommending these specifically.

I have read these actually - I really enjoyed them too. I was worried when they put Frank back in the Captain suit but it didnt last long, they forced it on him and it was only in Avengers 2. Yeah the portrayal of the Punisher in the Ultimate universe wasn't anything to get excited about but I liked these. I was suprised how much exposure the Punisher had in these too he was always at the front of panels/action scenes unlike Blade who was at the back usually. I hope Marvel have a nice hardback coming that collects all 4 Avengers stories. These really got me through the dark days of remenders run and showed how you can write the Punisher in the MU successfuly (okey UU). It also sated my desire to see Yu illustrate the Punisher as we were teased with some of his art from the 'the people vs frank castle' which never came out.

Anyone get the Spider Island: I NYC one shot? theres a nice Rucka punisher story there...

Old 09-12-2011, 11:00 AM   #37
cthulhu
Gimme some sugar baby!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetWarrior View Post
It took three issues, but I can now say that I fully support Rucka's take on the Punisher. I was skeptical after Fraction nearly ruined the character and the whole "Franken-Castle" disaster but this guy really knows the character. As someone who has read and owns every PUNISHER issue Marvel has ever published, I can say that Rucka's writing is spot on (for now anyway). So, here's hoping Marvel keeps this direction!

Sidenote No.I: If the world made sense, MAX would be continuity and Franken-Castle would be an alternate reality (and forever forgotten). Before someone chimes in that the "haters never read it", I own the omnibus. It was okay as a story but NOT the MU Punisher. Thank God its over and Remender has moved on.

Sidenote No. II. Thank God the white boots and gloves are gone. They should never have returned. This isn't 1974/1985. Writers knew how lame this costume was in the early '90s and began phasing it out then. Why bring it back? So, here's hoping for more trenchcoats, bullet-proof vests, and real-world combat attire!

Respect! I have all the Punisher comics published too! Including all the guest apperences and all first prints! As for the sidenotes: true dat!

Old 09-12-2011, 11:58 AM   #38
StreetWarrior
Respectfully disagreeing.

Quote:
Respect! I have all the Punisher comics published too! Including all the guest apperences and all first prints! As for the sidenotes: true dat!
Thank you, good sir!

StreetWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:59 AM   #39
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Wait. When did Fraction write Punisher?

Also. Jason Aaron has been writing amazing Punisher stories for like 3 years now - all the way through Remenders run - so there.

CConn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:01 PM   #40
Drz
Real Hero

Quote:
hardback coming that collects all 4 Avengers stories.
Ultimate Avengers Omnibus comes in April 2012.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:59 AM   #41
cthulhu
Gimme some sugar baby!!!

Fraction wrote the Punisher War Journal for about 26 issues about 5 years ago which spun out of the civil war event. It depends on your point of view but its pretty diabolical imho. One of the worst runs ever - I remember reading an interview with him after it finished where he admitted he didnt 'get' the character which is apparrent in his writing. Not recommended. I didnt really care for frankencastle but it was better than fractions version. I wish remender had went for a new take rather than following fractions vision but then we wouldnt have Rucka now so musn't grumble.

Yeah I know about Aaron's Max run but it went on hiatus for about 8 months so thanks Miller! Avengers omnibus in april 2012! yay!

Old 09-13-2011, 07:00 AM   #42
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

If he didn't get the character, he should have told the editor before taking the assignment and cashing the frigging check. I swear sometimes.....what the hell goes on over there?

And then to admit it later in an interview he knew nothing about the character. Interviews are not Fraction's best friend. He should stop doing them due to his tendency to put his foot in his mouth. Maybe I'm being too harsh. At least he admitted it unlike Bendis, who doesn't "get" any of the classic Avengers (so he kills or maims them instead) or Chuck Austen, who obviously didn't "get" a single thing.....

Old 09-13-2011, 08:19 AM   #43
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

He's mentioned that he doesn't really get Thor, either. I don't know why people keep giving him characters he freely admits he has no understanding of, but that's Marvel for you.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:24 AM   #44
SpideyInATree
Never Go Full Retard

What is there not to get about Punisher?

I can understand Thor to a certain extent but Punisher is pretty much self explanatory. He's Frank Castle. He is a war veteran. His family was killed by mobsters. He takes vengeance. AND GO!

http://www.glitchpoint.com

Check out their song Ignition
SpideyInATree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:58 AM   #45
cthulhu
Gimme some sugar baby!!!

Well yeah I agree - the character is pretty black and white. I cant understand how people who dont understand the characters they write stay on them for so long. I read Thor too and Fraction has been pretty terrible on that too, thank thor we have Gillen's journey into mystery which is vastly superior even though it has to incorperate the events fraction creates into the narrative. I think Gillen is doing a masterful job on this actually. Not suprised that fraction admitted he doesnt get Thor, its pretty obvious. anyhow

Punisher Max was pretty good this week. Good but not great, while I'm enjoying it Im finding some of it a little contrived like the few bullets that the two automatics have (ok maybe they are .45's but the second looks like a Glock which would hold a fair few in the mag) and Frank not having stashes of money/guns all over the place including buried in the ground. Still its an enjoyable enough run, though I wish someone other than Dillon was on art which is regressive step for Max I feel. It's also wierd that MU punisher's art is so great and this is so bland in comparison. Dillon can tell a story but... ah overexposure I guess. Good but more Marvel Knights than Max unfortunatly.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:06 PM   #46
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Punisher Max was alright. Elektra and the Hand popping up for this arc. Having read Punisher for years the story of him starting with nothing and working his way up has been done before.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:06 PM   #47
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

I loved the issue. I love every single thing about this book.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:15 PM   #48
cthulhu
Gimme some sugar baby!!!

Good! Just wish sales were a little better for it but it looks like Aaron may have more plans for Punisher after this arc which I had thought was going to be the last. So excited for the Punisher to be in the upcoming Ennis Fury Max series, Barracuda too! thats AWESOME!

Also sales are good for the Rucka relaunch http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomi...1/2011-08.html I was concerned that the two other recent 616 would result in lower sales but 40k + for both 1 and 2 is pretty good

Last edited by cthulhu; 09-15-2011 at 12:26 PM.
cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:02 PM   #49
fat freddys cat
Side-Kick

It's really good sales wise, this is the best showing for a Punisher book in about 5 years, and that, was in part due to a civil war tie in at the time...

Just a pity PunisherMAX is not selling more, yes the Punishier has been down and out and had to build himself back up, but not to this degree, he has always had some kind of armoury or safe house to fall back on, like he is staying in his old family home, and really has nothing....

fat freddys cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 02:05 PM   #50
Matt Mortem
SpookshowSpectacular

I just bought issue #1. It's really good thus far. I'll be going back to pick up the rest of the issues on wednesday

Matt Mortem is offline   Reply With Quote