The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > Marvel Comics

Old 10-16-2011, 11:54 AM   #101
Balthus Dire
Punishment Continues

Default Re: The Rucka Punisher ongoing discussion!

Yeah, MAX has been consistently great even after Ennis' departure. If you haven't read any other MAX arcs since Girls In White Dresses, I'd suggest checking out Welcome to the Bayou and Naked Kills. The only one I actually despised was Six Hours to Kill, because IMO it was boring and the art was horrible.

And for all the crap Frankencastle gets, I'd still suggest checking it out. It's a really fun arc and has a Hellboy feel to it. And like Shock said, new 616 is yet another fresh start.

Balthus Dire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 04:38 PM   #102
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonydelfini View Post
What makes me love Rucka's series is the restraint he shows. Restraint is not usually the word people associate with the character but it actually works well. When the violence comes in, it's more effective. The violence is almost poetic, the blood artistic. And I also love the fact that we find out a lot about the character without him having inner monologue and him not speaking. He becomes more mysterious and bad a%# in my opinion.

Punisher 4 gets a 9.5/10 from me.
It didn't surprise me when the editor mentioned in a recent convention panel that a conscious goal of the new Punisher series was to remove the old "war journal" element and restore some of the character's mystique. So far it's working really well.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:35 AM   #103
Punisher_MAX
Ol' Painless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthus Dire View Post
Yeah, MAX has been consistently great even after Ennis' departure. If you haven't read any other MAX arcs since Girls In White Dresses, I'd suggest checking out Welcome to the Bayou and Naked Kills. The only one I actually despised was Six Hours to Kill, because IMO it was boring and the art was horrible.

And for all the crap Frankencastle gets, I'd still suggest checking it out. It's a really fun arc and has a Hellboy feel to it. And like Shock said, new 616 is yet another fresh start.
i read Welcome to the Bayou and it was funny as hell, i loved it. I havent read Naked Kills and Six Hours to Kill was whatever.

Old 10-18-2011, 03:29 PM   #104
Balthus Dire
Punishment Continues

I enjoyed Naked Kills. There's one total dud in it (IMO) called Butterfly but the other stories are pretty solid and make for an enjoyable read.

Balthus Dire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:05 AM   #105
cthulhu
Gimme some sugar baby!!!

Anyone know what the Punisher announcement at NYCC they were talking about at the back of Punisher 4? Unable to find anything about that

Old 10-21-2011, 05:10 AM   #106
cthulhu
Gimme some sugar baby!!!

Oh a Punisher TV show? interesting...

Old 10-21-2011, 07:58 AM   #107
Spikes
Vendetta

Or not, let's hope FOX donīt ruin the character.

Spikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:33 AM   #108
cthulhu
Gimme some sugar baby!!!

Well definatly hope that doesnt happen - Fox isnt my first choice and Im not sure about the cop by day angle but interesting news all the same. My brother keeps compairing Jack Baurer from 24 to the Punisher in later seasons which he seemed to enjoy so maybe...

Old 10-22-2011, 05:54 AM   #109
Spikes
Vendetta

if you are talking about jack executing or killing every bad guy, yeah it's pretty close.

Old 10-22-2011, 07:23 AM   #110
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

I think it would be better on FX, hopefully that's what they meant by FOX.

runawayboulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:13 PM   #111
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

A TV show seems like a good venue for the character. They've gotta give him more character than just the scary bogeyman who murders mob dudes, though. Maybe throw some victims into the mix that Frank has to protect now and then or keep Microchip around as a plucky sidekick or something. An hour of Frank shooting people in the face every week would get old real quick.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:50 PM   #112
kguillou
Side-Kick

I know everyone likes to hate on FOX (with good reason) but i think there's great potential in a Punisher tv show on there. This could end up being Fox's next '24'. A show about an anti-hero who spirals into darkness with lots of shooting, revenge, twists and turns. I'm actually all for this to happen.

kguillou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:55 PM   #113
SpideyInATree
Never Go Full Retard

I don't think it matters what network or tv channel it's on it depends on the creative team, writers, directors, and actors. If it's got good writing and acting behind it anything can be good.

http://www.glitchpoint.com

Check out their song Ignition
SpideyInATree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:05 PM   #114
kguillou
Side-Kick

Agreed. Also, i hear a lot of people complaining that they're tweaking the Punisher into a police officer. I dont get what the big deal is, because let's be brutally honest here, if they straight up adapted the current books, it'd be a horrible tv show. People aren't going to watch a show about a guy who just kills people mercilessly and has no character journey. The reason why so many people love Dexter is because even though he kills a ton of people, he's trying to get rid of his darkness and become normal. The punisher in the comics doesn't seem to give a s*** about any of that. The key to making this show work is going to be making the Punisher into a more likeable protagonist.

kguillou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:07 PM   #115
SpideyInATree
Never Go Full Retard

In the Ultimate universe wasn't Frank Castle a police officer? I swear I read a version of Punisher somewhere where he was a cop and that's why the mob gunned down his family.

Actually, I think that was the first Punisher movie with Thomas Jane...so it's not like it would be a new idea out of nowhere.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:16 PM   #116
Shockdingo
Cap America luvin' Canuck

I don't speak for anyone but myself, but I think the problem lies in the keyword "moonlighting" in the article. They said he's a cop who moonlights as a vigilante, which adds some weirdness to the whole mythos for me.

As just a cop, I'd be rather fine with it, but that alter ego and balancing act is what I'm worried about, also Fox tends to kill off some of my favorite shows so I'm rather nervous.

Shockdingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:20 PM   #117
SpideyInATree
Never Go Full Retard

Fox has hits and misses just like any other network. Look at a show like Fringe. Just depends on what creative entities get behind it and how much Fox wants to get behind it.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:58 PM   #118
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyInATree View Post
In the Ultimate universe wasn't Frank Castle a police officer?
Irrelevant.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:15 AM   #119
cthulhu
Gimme some sugar baby!!!

haha - Corp at least your consistant! Yep in the Ultimate universe Frank was a cop. I dont have a problem with that, would like to have him keep his military background too though. Im interested in how this will develop: will Fanks family be killed before the show starts or will this happen as the show progresses? I know this will be different to how it is in the comics (adaptions always are) but I wouldn't mind Frank having a normal family life for most of the first season while moonlighting with the Punisher thing. Then when his family get killed then things would change. There are a bunch of options with this - could go anyway really, please let it be good. Who is going to be cast as Frank? Ray Stevenson, Thomas Jane, John Hamm or... suggestions? Interesting!

Old 10-24-2011, 05:37 PM   #120
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

Beyond just being an Ultimate invention, I don't like the cop angle because it doesn't work metaphorically. Frank Castle loses everything and embarks on a war against crime. Soldiers fight wars, not cops. There's a very pointed difference between Frank's approach to crimefighting and a cop's approach to crimefighting. That's one of the major elements of the character--he adapts the brutal, lethal tactics of jungle warfare in Vietnam to the urban jungle of New York. A cop who already worked in New York turning his day job into a war on crime isn't as strong a symbolic basis. It's just a dude going off the deep end.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:05 PM   #121
Punisher_MAX
Ol' Painless

i actually hope its like the 04 movie where he was a highly trained Marine with specializations in anti terrorism/black ops etc who is now an undercover agent.

if thats the case i can live with the show..it be cool to start the season with him on a mission and showing his life as an agent having a family, like in 04, and then they all get whacked on a mob hit from one of his missions.

at least thats the only way i could live with this show adaptation.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:59 PM   #122
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

That'd be fine. Some basis in actual, for-realsies war would be appreciated, though. War and being a cop just are not the same thing.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:18 AM   #123
Spikes
Vendetta

I have read someone here talking about "Dexter"... It's different from Dexter because he kills 1 person at a time and in special ocasions 2. The Punisher kills multiple targets so the risks he takes by exposing his identity are huge if he is a cop of course. If they are thinking transforming Frank into the Punisher gradually as a consequence of some events in the series and at some point he quits by being a cop and he becomes the Punisher at 100% maybe this could work...

Old 11-11-2011, 05:18 PM   #124
Shockdingo
Cap America luvin' Canuck

Anyways, to give this thread some life again, here's the next issue preview. I get the feeling that this'll be a good one. I like the alt XForce tribute cover as well as the normal.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...eview&id=10430

Shockdingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 01:16 PM   #125
cthulhu
Gimme some sugar baby!!!

Looks good, only new week Im curious as to what is happening with Max too will it continue or is it nearly ended? hmm